What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hail damage - getting new roof, what questions should I have? (2 Viewers)

coyote5

Footballguy
So we had a hail storm come through a couple weeks ago, nothing major, pea size with slightly larger mixed in. Storm chasing contractors have been running through our neighborhood but I won't deal with them. Had a reputable local roofer come out today and he told it indeed looks like there's enough damage for a replacement. It's an 18 year old roof.

Guy tells me to let my insurance know, and then once the adjuster is scheduled, let this guy know so he can come back out and work with the adjuster directly. Makes sense to me.

What I'm wondering is what do I need to be looking for with the new roof or what questions do I need to ask about how they are doing their work?

Notify your insurance company asap.

While you're waiting on them, get up there and take a million pictures - not just the damaged areas, but the entire roof (including vent systems, etc...). You don't have to share them all with your carrier, but more pictures are better than not enough.

Go for a complete replacement (including venting drip edge, boots, gutters, any upgrades to get it to current code, etc...). Have it taken down to sheathing and any rotted pieces replaced (you may have to pay out of your own pocket for this, but do it).

I would get the contractor to give me a quote before the adjuster comes up with his/her estimate (before they even talk to each other). That way, you have a measuring stick. Make sure both estimates are apples-for-apples. I have some experience with this due to my house flooding a few years ago and being in construction my whole life, so feel free to hit me up for any help or a second set of eyes.

Your roof is on the backend of its lifespan anyway, so this is going to be a boon in the long run. It's a PITA now and until it's done, but you'll have a new roof when all is over.

Ask about underlayment. A lot of roofers put down that crap stuff that’s one grade above tar paper. The thicker peel and stick stuff is worth every penny imo. Make sure quoted venting is adequate and to code or better.

I would also have the adjuster look around the house on the ground also. Is there hail damage on the fins of your air conditioner? On your trim around the windows? On your patio furniture? Etc……

I kind of alluded to this in my previous post, but I'm not sure having the adjuster and contractor working together is a great idea. I might also solicit estimates from more than one reputable roofing contractor.

I've never heard the phrase "voetstoets clause". Googling led me to site about South African real estate law. Can you give more background on that clause?

Going through this now....

How can you ensure the contractor is a good contractor? That they won't skimp to make more money and do a good job? I can look up reviews online but does that tell the whole story? A new roof is not something you end up knowing is not good until it leaks or it is time for another one.

Licensed, bonded, etc but what else?

How can you ensure the contractor is a good contractor? That they won't skimp to make more money and do a good job? I can look up reviews online but does that tell the whole story? A new roof is not something you end up knowing is not good until it leaks or it is time for another one.

Just did this decently, went with a local medium size company (~50+ employees) who have done a number of roofs in my area and who I already knew of. Great online reviews, and they had just done another roof in my neighborhood. Was actually able to have them do a few other things around the house at the same time (some minor siding and trim work, new gutters).

We had hail damage to our roof. I just took the money and left the roof as is. It was just cosmetic and while it's not the newest of roofs, it still has 5-10 years left :shrug:

Just did this decently, went with a local medium size company (~50+ employees) who have done a number of roofs in my area and who I already knew of. Great online reviews, and they had just done another roof in my neighborhood. Was actually able to have them do a few other things around the house at the same time (some minor siding and trim work, new gutters).
Yeah I ended up going with a well established contractor (20+yrs) with good independent (hopefully) reviews. They did a great job so I'm happy

We had hail damage to our roof. I just took the money and left the roof as is. It was just cosmetic and while it's not the newest of roofs, it still has 5-10 years left :shrug:
If you have a mortgage you can't do this in Texas. I even had my mortgage company on my *** that didn't get the roof done fast enough.

No mortgage? Because the insurance check is made payable to you and the lien holders (always a PIA to endorse when I worked at banks and people would come in with their claim checks).

No mortgage? Because the insurance check is made payable to you and the lien holders (always a PIA to endorse when I worked at banks and people would come in with their claim checks).
:shrug:
Have a mortgage. Still owe 300K or probably more. Check was for like 14K. They even asked for a paypal account to deposit in into

Have a mortgage. Still owe 300K or probably more. Check was for like 14K. They even asked for a paypal account to deposit in into
You may have left some money on the table. The way mine worked is that I got a check for ~90% up front (made payable to me and who our mortgage is through, so that took some time to clear). Then, once the job was done we got a check for the final 10% (made payable just to me).

You have a depreciated roof they wrote for 14k without a builders invoice post deductible with a check payable to you and you only?

You have a depreciated roof they wrote for 14k without a builders invoice post deductible with a check payable to you and you only?
Yes? I don't remember all the details. As @matttyl said above, I could have gotten more money if I got the roof done. I would have needed to submit invoices showing total replacement cost but we chose to just take the cash.

What the hell kind of a backwater company insurance do you have?! :lmao:

Yes? I don't remember all the details. As @matttyl said above, I could have gotten more money if I got the roof done. I would have needed to submit invoices showing total replacement cost but we chose to just take the cash.
They probably were like.... we can pay this guy off with $14K in cash and avoid a $30K roof replacement. Done.

Travelers. Just looked it up, check was for $14,483.33

They probably were like.... we can pay this guy off with $14K in cash and avoid a $30K roof replacement. Done.
Roof probably would have cost 20K or so. Don't need the roof, and will plan on doing it myself when we do need one.

Have to wonder if the insurance company had the mortgagee on file. Paying you directly and not including Travelers was illegal.

Have to wonder if the insurance company had the mortgagee on file. Paying you directly and not including Travelers was illegal.
Travelers is my insurance company and who paid me

And sending via PayPal?

payable to whom? Mine was to me, my wife, and the current lien holder.

When my house flooded a few years ago, there was a joint check issued by my carrier to the mortgage company and myself. I don't recall the details of the process, but I remember it being a PITA. I couldn't go to just any Wells Fargo office - it had to be a certain one and it was not close to me.

And sending via PayPal?
I got a check. Paypal was an option that i did not choose.

Payable to just my wife. Not sure why my name wasn't on it.

I could take a stab at why….

And it’s not good news.

I would also have the adjuster look around the house on the ground also. Is there hail damage on the fins of your air conditioner? On your trim around the windows? On your patio furniture? Etc……
This is great advice.

When we got hit by softball sized hail in 2018, it was amazing all the little things that weren't readily visible that ultimately needed to be repaired--things like dryer vents and so forth. Be diligent and look around because you never know what could have been damaged. I am kicking myself because the hail left huge pock marks in the concrete in the front of the house. At the time, i really didn't think much of it, but over the last six years. the concrete has started to crack and disintegrate throughout the entire front of our house. I mean we were in a hotel for 40+ days because our whole house had to basically be redone. Windows, siding, fences, carpets, interior walls and two vehicles. It was so big, it came through the roof and ceiling of the house in spots--very scary storm at 2:00 am in the morning, Just standing in a bathroom with my wife and teenage daughter as you hear your house being ripped apart is something I will never forget.

Like others said, any check that got cut went to the bank and then to the company doing the restoration. The only checks that came to us were for the reimbursement for the food we ate during the weeks we were out of the house.

AFTER it's replaced, shop for homeowners insurance. Usually a new roof on the house leads to lower rates so it would be a perfect time to shop.

And it’s not good news.
Let’s hear it

And it’s not good news.
Let’s hear it
She owns the house, not you? At least that’s what your homeowner’s carrier thinks.

And it’s not good news.
Let’s hear it
She owns the house, not you? At least that’s what your homeowner’s carrier thinks.
Don't think so. A different check cut to us for water damage in our basement had both our names on it

And it’s not good news.
Let’s hear it
She's started HIDING MONEY.

And it’s not good news.
Let’s hear it
She's started HIDING MONEY.
In plain sight.

And another hail storm. Good sized again.... most about marble sized with some that were bigger.

My Acadia is a tank. That thing still doesn't have a scratch on it.

Users who are viewing this thread