What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guppie League Allstars (Brilliant moves by the not so informed) (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
You might have an idea of what I mean by the title but let me explain. I've been playing FF for 25 years and after the first 5 years of being a newb myself I figured stuff out quickly and decided I can only join leagues that are highly competitive and usually involve bigger sums of money to weed out the newbies. It just wasn't fun to swim in the kiddie pool. I kept this philosophy going until apparently this year. I started a new job and wanted to fit in and when they heard I've played FF a time or two they were kind enough to invite me into the league. It's bad, real bad. I.E. There's a guy starting Greg Olsen still. Not just last week but the week before as well after the dude cracks his cankle. Really? We were only 2 weeks into the season at that point and he's still in the lineup for week 5 right now as we speak. In the immortal words of Michael Irvin "Com'on  man".

Now, I glance through the WW rejects from Tuesday and the 0-4 team drops Derek Carr. There's chatter that he's coming back as early as next week.  Of course even with Marriota, I have a claim in for him. C'mon man! I was about to go 4-0 and #1 in points in this league until Marriota got hurt. If I don't wint this league, I'll kick my own asss.

Whatcha got?

Long existing league, 12 teams, 2 keepers and a premium on RB's. start 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/K/D. RB's are gold and viewed about equal to that of their dynasty value in this league.

An owner with awful keeper options drops Dalvin Cook, easily his 2nd best keeper option. Rest of the league scrambles to claim him immediately.

Another owner trades Marshawn Lynch for Cameron Brate. Sure, Lynch's value is beyond terrible but shipping him off for a backup TE?

Long existing league, 12 teams, 2 keepers and a premium on RB's. start 1QB/2RB/2WR/TE/K/D. RB's are gold and viewed about equal to that of their dynasty value in this league.

An owner with awful keeper options drops Dalvin Cook, easily his 2nd best keeper option. Rest of the league scrambles to claim him immediately.

Another owner trades Marshawn Lynch for Cameron Brate. Sure, Lynch's value is beyond terrible but shipping him off for a backup TE?
Actually, if I needed a TE, I'd probably trade Lynch for Brate. I think Lynch is washed up.

My league isn't that ridiculous but one guy dropped Ajayi after Foster came back last year... I was able to scoop him up.

I think 3 years prior a guy dropped Phillip Rivers right before the playoffs, which doesn't seem that ridiculous on it's surface but 3 years ago Phillip Rivers was a top 10 QB. I was going QBBC. I think I had Eli on one of his bad years or something. Picked Rivers up and won the league easily thanks to his 30 some point games. 

My league is more people dropping the best handcuffs or moderately valuable players that have potential to be big. I also have guys I try to trade with... I'll offer them an upgrade at RB2 and a slight downgrade at WR1 and they will reject because I go up at WR1 (The RB doesn't play for me). Well, sure, for me I don't lose anything it's win-win! Sure, it's your WR1, and you're going slightly down, but you're 1-5 and going nowhere! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Cook is unforgiveable but I can somewhat see the Brate transaction. Preseason I shyed away from Lynch thinking that not too many people on the planet can walk away from the league at his age for a year and come back to his ADP. He's proving me right at the moment and I've always been a Brate supporter (See the original Brate post for this forum). He only really needs more targets to be top 5 IMO.

I play in a non PPR redraft 10 team friends league.  Guys like Cook, Sproles, and Allen Robinson are still rostered.  One guy's girlfriend is in the league, she drafted Ware prior to injury, so now he's benched for her drafted RB3 who is Chris Thompson.  Lost Olsen, but oh look she also drafted Ertz so no harm there.  She took Tom Brady with the first overall pick in the draft, then followed it up with Diggs and Gurley.  Of course she's undefeated so far

New guy in our longstanding work league dropped Jordan Howard after week 2 (keeping the likes of Matt Forte, Antonio Gates, second defense, second kicker, etc.).

I felt kinda guilty when I was able to scoop him up off the WW, but then I realized, hey, it's an early XMas gift for someone's roster, may as well be mine.

My league isn't that ridiculous but one guy dropped Ajayi after Foster came back last year... I was able to scoop him up.

I think 3 years prior a guy dropped Phillip Rivers right before the playoffs, which doesn't seem that ridiculous on it's surface but 3 years ago Phillip Rivers was a top 10 QB. I was going QBBC. I think I had Eli on one of his bad years or something. Picked Rivers up and won the league easily thanks to his 30 some point games. 

My league is more people dropping the best handcuffs or moderately valuable players that have potential to be big. I also have guys I try to trade with... I'll offer them an upgrade at RB2 and a slight downgrade at WR1 and they will reject because I go up at WR1 (The RB doesn't play for me). Well, sure, for me I don't lose anything it's win-win! Sure, it's your WR1, and you're going slightly down, but you're 1-5 and going nowhere! 
I dropped Ajayi last year as well, only to watch him explode on someone else's team.  He had done squat the first few games and then he didn't even fly to the away game with the team. Still kicking myself for it, but I wouldn't call that a guppy move.

I managed my wifes work league team last year.  Denver D and Ted Ginn went in the first round.

I chuckled all the way home with my draft starting, Gurley, Miller, Hopkins, Jordy, Gronk, 

I am pretty sure the Denver D drafter won it and I didn't make the playoffs . :lmao:

It was supposed to be a $50 buy in, but we didn't pay.  The commissioner removed Jordy from my team and put him on his own when I was eliminated from the playoffs.  The whole thing was a joke all around,  I don't do guppy leagues any more.

in about 1996 or 97, I was in need of a TE. I looked through the other rosters in the league and identified a team that was strong at TE and may be able to make one available. The team in question had Ben Coates on the bench and had some weaknesses I thought I could help out with. So I approached the owner and told him to "Let me know what you need for Ben Coates" and explained that if I didn't have what he needed, I would try to trade with another team to get the player for him. He thought about it for a little while and informed me that he would only give up Coate in exchange for William Henderson (FB GB). 

Now William Henderson had just had a nice game the previous week and maybe even scored a TD, but I was still somewhat surprised, because not only was he trading away a TE1 for a FB, but Henderson was also a Free Agent in our league (as he probably was in every league at the time). So I picked up Henderson and immediately traded him for Ben Coates. This move sparked a turn around for my team and propelled me into the playoffs that year.

I see odd drops in the FPC and TFC leagues alike, example, Cam Newton and Dake Prescott were dropped in the last few weeks. These are no guppie leagues either, just owners who make questionable decisions or possibly brilliant decisions long term. it's hard to tell which one it is without hindsight. 

I see no issues for the Lynch / Brate trade, only problem was drating Lynch from the "get go".

I dropped Ajayi last year as well, only to watch him explode on someone else's team.  He had done squat the first few games and then he didn't even fly to the away game with the team. Still kicking myself for it, but I wouldn't call that a guppy move.
agreed, I was guilty of the same thing, I also dropped R Mathews a bunch last year only to watch him go off in the 2nd half. Despite that, I had profitable season, imagine that. 

in about 1996 or 97, I was in need of a TE. I looked through the other rosters in the league and identified a team that was strong at TE and may be able to make one available. The team in question had Ben Coates on the bench and had some weaknesses I thought I could help out with. So I approached the owner and told him to "Let me know what you need for Ben Coates" and explained that if I didn't have what he needed, I would try to trade with another team to get the player for him. He thought about it for a little while and informed me that he would only give up Coate in exchange for William Henderson (FB GB). 

Now William Henderson had just had a nice game the previous week and maybe even scored a TD, but I was still somewhat surprised, because not only was he trading away a TE1 for a FB, but Henderson was also a Free Agent in our league (as he probably was in every league at the time). So I picked up Henderson and immediately traded him for Ben Coates. This move sparked a turn around for my team and propelled me into the playoffs that year.
Love hearing names like that!

Users who are viewing this thread