What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grass Guys (1 Viewer)

KGB

Footballguy
In AZ, our grass (rye?) comes back every year.

My trees have grown and I think I may need shade grass. lawn looked awful last summer.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? especially in high heat?

A good thread for all things grass. ☝️

In AZ, guessing not Flagstaff, you most likely have bermuda grass overseeded with ryegrass. Ryegrass (cool season) is planted into bermuda grass (warm season) in the fall as a way to keep lawns green in the winter when bermuda grass goes into dormancy(turns brown). Some species of ryegrass have evolved and can withstand high temperatures especially in shady areas as long as they are given plenty of water.
Check your sprinklers, sharpen the blades on the mower, follow the Scott’s 4 Step program for feeding the soil. Bermuda grass struggles in the shade so you’ll need to prune some trees to give it more sunlight.

A good thread for all things grass. ☝️

In AZ, guessing not Flagstaff, you most likely have bermuda grass overseeded with ryegrass. Ryegrass (cool season) is planted into bermuda grass (warm season) in the fall as a way to keep lawns green in the winter when bermuda grass goes into dormancy(turns brown). Some species of ryegrass have evolved and can withstand high temperatures especially in shady areas as long as they are given plenty of water.
Check your sprinklers, sharpen the blades on the mower, follow the Scott’s 4 Step program for feeding the soil. Bermuda grass struggles in the shade so you’ll need to prune some trees to give it more sunlight.
Yep! rye is our winter grass, you are right. ill check out the link. ty!

yeah, in hot AZ, not cold AZ

Another vote for getting rid of grass altogether.

None of wife's family who lives in the southwest has grass and neither did my parents when they lived in Farmington.

Thought this was going to be about some other "grass" from the title.

I have found that a water leak in your main water line to your house really keeps the grass green.

Anyone have any recommendations for controlling crabgrass that don't involve me throwing out my back?
After 16 years of living in SC I've finally had the best grass offseason of since we've been here. My yard has been **** for the last few years so last fall I said I was going the over seeding route with rye grass. For about a month I raked out all the f'n leaves that fall for weeks and threw down rye grass. Much to my surprise it actually came up and was beautiful! Best the lawn has looked since I've lived there, have mowed it 3 times since February. Add benefit? It's kept the crabgrass and weeds to a minimum.

Now the challenge, when to throw fescue down? I think this weekend I'm going to start and along with watering and keep it up for a few weeks until I see new starts. Rye grass here dies out when it starts to get hot so have to time it so fescue is established by the time that happens. A delicate dance to be sure.

Oh and I'm trying to do all this sans fertilizer.

Anyone have any recommendations for controlling crabgrass that don't involve me throwing out my back?
After 16 years of living in SC I've finally had the best grass offseason of since we've been here. My yard has been **** for the last few years so last fall I said I was going the over seeding route with rye grass. For about a month I raked out all the f'n leaves that fall for weeks and threw down rye grass. Much to my surprise it actually came up and was beautiful! Best the lawn has looked since I've lived there, have mowed it 3 times since February. Add benefit? It's kept the crabgrass and weeds to a minimum.

Now the challenge, when to throw fescue down? I think this weekend I'm going to start and along with watering and keep it up for a few weeks until I see new starts. Rye grass here dies out when it starts to get hot so have to time it so fescue is established by the time that happens. A delicate dance to be sure.

Yeah, I don't want to mess with fertilizer either.

Zero interest in using fertilizer here as well….

Can you just seed every spring/fall and rent one of those aerators (sp?) every other year?

Won’t the grass “take over” all the clover and weeds eventually?

Can you just seed every spring/fall and rent one of those aerators (sp?) every other year?

This is "hopefully" the way.

Typically my yard goes dormant in November and weeds start to move in. As the temps warm, it's like the weeds and clover get supercharged and by May when the grass starts to come back it's already too late. So far, my rye grass has held the weeds at bay and while there are a few spots of clover, nothing like there was last year. I would love to get it to a point where I'm just overseeding and spot killing the occasional weed as it pops up.

Oh also of note, 16 years running and no aerator :thumbup: I'm just too lazy to rent one (and I work for the 2nd largest rental company in North America).

Curious as to why some don't want to mess with fertilizers. No judgement just wondering why. The best defense for weed free turf is.....healthy, dense turf. You need to feed the soil in order to get to the point that the turf out competes the weeds. BTW, "weed free" is relative. You can have a healthy lawn/landscape and still have some weeds, IMO. As a general rule, most homeowners don't need to aerate their lawns unless the soil is super compacted and water won't infiltrate. Proper mowing & watering and regular feeding trumps everything else in turf.

Fescue likes having that cold season to marinate GB. It should go down in the fall and then throw the rye down in Jan/Feb to bridge til spring

Id also look into a mix that has KY bluegrass....not just fescue

What's absolutely the worst thing you can do to grass? Next door neighbor to my parents cut down a weeping willow because it was shedding on his immaculate lawn, and I'm wondering what items you would never want to introduce to a lawn.

Just wondering

Curious as to why some don't want to mess with fertilizers. No judgement just wondering why. The best defense for weed free turf is.....healthy, dense turf. You need to feed the soil in order to get to the point that the turf out competes the weeds. BTW, "weed free" is relative. You can have a healthy lawn/landscape and still have some weeds, IMO. As a general rule, most homeowners don't need to aerate their lawns unless the soil is super compacted and water won't infiltrate. Proper mowing & watering and regular feeding trumps everything else in turf.

No fertilizers because kids/dogs/me!

What's absolutely the worst thing you can do to grass? Next door neighbor to my parents cut down a weeping willow because it was shedding on his immaculate lawn, and I'm wondering what items you would never want to introduce to a lawn.

Just wondering
If the tree was on your parents property and the neighbor cut it down without their permission they have a potential lawsuit. There was a thread on here where some ones neighbor cut down their tree “by accident” - good info in there.

I regraded my entire back yard and ordered some exotic Kentucky bluegrass that's supposed to be really good for cutting really short (1" or less). Excited for my lawn but more excited for the fall when I can stop hosing off the dog every time she goes out.

Users who are viewing this thread