What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But anyway, carry on. I don’t mean to disturb whatever goes on down here. And really just wanted to come in and make a more positive point about the president, because fair is fair, and I’m not just some politics hack gunning for one side or the other. 
:reported:

He’s now calling out Michigan’s Governor on Twitter. Michigan has been by all accounts with Ohio on the proactive side. 

PennDOT is stopping all construction projects. Right now its just for 2 weeks, but this isn't a good sign for the economy.

District and county maintenance offices are closed and construction projects are suspended statewide until further notice, PennDOT said. PennDOT crews will be available to perform critical functions and emergency maintenance as needed.

Kate Davidson @KateDavidson

The House passed a bill Monday night that significantly scaled back the paid sick-leave program it had tried to en­act days ear­lier. Democrats and admin officials billed it as a technical corrections bill. w/ ⁦@nataliewsj @siobhanehughes

Democratic aides were alarmed by the changes, which were passed with no objections because House lawmakers are away from Washington. The changes weren’t shown to most lawmakers before the vote.

Healthcare employers warned lawmakers and admin officials that the original bill could have led to a shortage of vital healthcare workers. The new House bill excludes those workers from paid family leave, and lets Labor Dept. exclude them from 2 wks paid sick-leave mandate, too. 

Just jumped into this news conference mid way through but this is the best I’ve ever seen Trump act.  No hyperbole and some pretty straight talk.  Nice to see for once.  
Just getting to post about this.  If I have to have Trump in office, I want that version of him, not the standard.  He did a good job.  I was pleasantly surprised.  

Just getting to post about this.  If I have to have Trump in office, I want that version of him, not the standard.  He did a good job.  I was pleasantly surprised.  
Sure and how does he build in that?  Back to attacking democrats on Twitter this morning.  Probably why some wont praise him all that much because he did well for a little while during a press conference.

I will have to admit I agree.  Scared, sober Trump is a little more terrifying though—when he finally is appreciating and acknowledging the gravity of this thing for the first time, regardless of what it means for him politically, it’s almost like the light bulb went off that this isn’t about him. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but a guy can hope. 

And it’s not easy for me to admit—a sore subject for me right now, because I’m just back from a week long time out from this place (at a time when the news and companionship here is more helpful than ever). I earned it by criticizing the president—not in colorful language, but using a regular descriptive word in the dictionary that is not curse words or filtered words, and which is used by small school kids on a playground daily (rhymes with “boron”). I used the word in a thread in the political forum where it belonged. I suppose it is the joint use of such a word, which I don’t believe itself is prohibited, with reference to the president, that causes the problem.

Still, at least the moderating is consistent, because as I look back it turns out I had another timeout in recent years were for using the same word to describe the same president.  So I just have to remind myself about that being a sentiment you aren’t allowed to express here, even though it otherwise seems like something that in a free discussion among adults is something someone should be permitted to say.   I guess that’s why it didn’t occur to me.  That feels like a slippery slope to me (in an Orwell kind of way), but as I’ve always said, it’s not my board, and the mods can do what they want with it.

But I digress.  Point is, there have been one or two moments in the last couple days during which, while I don’t think the president has performed incredibly well by average president standards (hopefully I’m ok saying that), he has been better than his own average.
I’ve been suspended twice this past year for my comments about Trump.  

Like you (I imagine) I cannot stand the guy.  

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
sho nuff said:
Sure and how does he build in that?  Back to attacking democrats on Twitter this morning.  Probably why some wont praise him all that much because he did well for a little while during a press conference.
And herein lies the problem for most anti-Trumpers.

We dislike him. He does something good. Great, we’ll take it! Let’s get more of that. But instead, we get the same ole Trump. It’s very deflating. 

Joe Biden (Text Join to 30330) @JoeBiden · 21m

Michigan’s response has far outpaced the federal government’s in this crisis. Gov. Whitmer is leading decisively, while you are live-tweeting her appearances on cable news.

We need a president who will do their job and lead this country.

Daniel Dale‏Verified account @ddale8 1m1 minute ago

Trump notes his administration is pursuing "additional stimulus." He says he had a "great talk" with NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo and that they're on the "same track." (He's been criticizing Cuomo on Twitter.)

Trump: "It's going to pop. One day, we'll be standing, possibly, up here, we'll say, 'Well, we won.' And we're gonna say that. Sure as you're sitting there, we're going to say that. And we're going to win. And I think we're gonna win faster than people think. I hope."

Pence:

We're focused on testing, but "you don't need the results of testing to know what you should do." If everyone follows the guidelines, "We could see a substantial reduction in the spread of the coronavirus."

sho nuff said:
The Commish said:
I'm not commenting on anything other than the specific event yesterday.  That seems hard for some of you to understand for whatever reason.  I am speaking of that specific moment.

And herein lies the problem for most anti-Trumpers.

We dislike him. He does something good. Great, we’ll take it! Let’s get more of that. But instead, we get the same ole Trump. It’s very deflating. 
Take what you can get and move on.  There's no real need to attempt and make the positive a negative....he provides us ample amounts of negative all by himself.  It's refreshing when he acts like a grown up.....I'll take it.

Pence: Construction masks are perfectly acceptable for health care workers, so we're asking construction companies, "that our president knows very well from his background," to donate N95 masks to local hospitals and don't make additional orders

Trump thanks Homeland Security over the airport screening: "The job they did at the airports was really incredible." He concedes "O'Hare got backed up a little bit," but it got fixed. (There were hours-long waits initially; people packed shoulder to shoulder.)

Mnuchin says they're deferring $300 billion in IRS payments. If you can file your taxes on April 15, do so, he says; don't miss out on refunds. But "if you owe a payment to the IRS, you can defer up to $1 million as an individual," $10M for corps., penalty-free for 90 days.

Asked what help they're going to give to airlines, Mnuchin won't comment on the specifics. He says "this is worse than 9/11" for the industry and this is "strategically important." Trump promises "the airline industry will be in good shape."

Mnuchin says they're deferring $300 billion in IRS payments. If you can file your taxes on April 15, do so, he says; don't miss out on refunds. But "if you owe a payment to the IRS, you can defer up to $1 million as an individual," $10M for corps., penalty-free for 90 days.

Asked what help they're going to give to airlines, Mnuchin won't comment on the specifics. He says "this is worse than 9/11" for the industry and this is "strategically important." Trump promises "the airline industry will be in good shape."
Oh thank God I won't have to be writing that 9 million dollar check to the IRS next month.  Really looking out for the little guy!  Here I was worried about my next paycheck to pay rent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1239944739581034496

Mnuchin: We're looking at sending checks to Americans immediately. We don't need to send people checks if they make $1M a year, but sending to others is an idea "we like." Trump says they'll have a pretty good idea by the end of the day.
Does anyone else thing of Jack Nicholson's Joker?

"Who do you trust? Me or the Batman? I'm giving away free money. And where is the Batman? At home washing his tights!"

(For the record, I think it's a wonderful idea)

Take what you can get and move on.  There's no real need to attempt and make the positive a negative....he provides us ample amounts of negative all by himself.  It's refreshing when he acts like a grown up.....I'll take it.
Oh I’ll take it. But Jesus Christ dude! It’s not that hard. And just do it for the remainder of this pandemic. If you wanna go back to being an ####### when this is all over, go ahead. But for ####s sake, tone it down for now.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1239945243258224642

Trump on the stimulus measures: "We're going big." He says he wants "a big infusion" rather than an incremental approach. "We don't want people losing their jobs or not having money to live when they were doing very well just four weeks ago."

Mnuchin: We want drive-thrus to be allowed to stay open; "these companies feed a big part of America." Companies have apps allowing you to order ahead of time and go get your food "with social distancing," "very fast."

From the health perspective I get the need to pause, but States and more importantly, the Fed need to be way more proactive in reducing uncertainty by providing liquidity for small businesses. Making low interest loans available now is a necessity, or having a pause on bills. I'm not sure how state and federal governments expect a small business who has been shuttered by mandated policy to be able to pay obligations going forward. Car payments, insurance payments, mortgage payments, etc. If we're all in this together all should be asked to take a pause OR allow small businesses access to low interest loans to meet their obligations. This should of happened yesterday. I realize policy is being discussed, but what I've heard so far is more tax cuts. Really? So dumb. 

Short term liquidity  has to be addressed ASAP. I read that McDonalds is considering deferring rent on franchises. That is a smart idea IMO. I'm not holding my breath, but as a small business owner I need to hear some actual economic plans to address this. I'm sure the big guys will get theirs and the little guy gets to pay for it as usual. The unfortunate part is that a consumer driven economy with broke out of work consumers turns something that should be manageable into a depression. I hope for the best but have no confidence in the Feds to doing anything proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread