What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully part of Biden’s plan is being honest about the vaccine 

When HHS announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses reserved for second shots, no such reserve existed, officials say.

https://twitter.com/davidnakamura/status/1350103324608094209?s=21
Assumed this was already posted, was just reading about it from MY rock solid source of information, the Daily Mail. I’ve said it a couple of times, our current President cares very little about you & I. He says the right stuff to get people smiling but 90% is usually just #### he made up or unsubstantiated. I’ve predicted he go scorched earth leaving office because this is his nature and so far, I think I have a case he’s doing a fine job of trying his best to hamstring the incoming administration from day one.

‘This seems to me to be another instance of that by hyping up the vaccine, getting it out to the public w/some success but intentionally depleting stores of it so as the first rounds of it wind down, there is little to nothing left in the cupboard for rounds 2, 3 & 4. The timing is impeccable given he has about 4 days left.

Am I trying to hard to say “see, I told you so” or does that kinda sum up the situation? This is absolutely despicable if true and it derails our vaccination rollout.

Remember when every person in education stressed the importance of limiting screen time for your child? Now they are gaslighting us that it’s ok to have our kids learn from zoom, iPads and laptops until they feel like returning to a classroom. #openschools

This seems to me to be another instance of that by hyping up the vaccine, getting it out to the public w/some success but intentionally depleting stores of it so as the first rounds of it wind down, there is little to nothing left in the cupboard for rounds 2, 3 & 4. The timing is impeccable given he has about 4 days left.

Am I trying to hard to say “see, I told you so” or does that kinda sum up the situation? This is absolutely despicable if true and it derails our vaccination rollout.
Honestly, i doubt that Trump could personally execute such gaslighting. There are lots of civil servants involved in the vaccine efforts.  These aren't Trump loyalists and I don't think they'd go along with puposefully lying to the public about vaccine dose availability. 

Remember when every person in education stressed the importance of limiting screen time for your child? Now they are gaslighting us that it’s ok to have our kids learn from zoom, iPads and laptops until they feel like returning to a classroom. #openschools
Extended screen time is bad. Learning via Zoom is substandard. We don't have many alternatives other than putting students and staff at risk. 

Extended screen time is bad. Learning via Zoom is substandard. We don't have many alternatives other than putting students and staff at risk. 
My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher here in SC and other than the first month back and a few days around Christmas break, has been teaching to full classes in person for the year. There have been many bumps along the way but it can be done, and as safely as possible. I don’t understand why there isn’t an air scrubber in every classroom at this point since it is a very cheap and efficient way of adding an extra layer of protection but that’s for another discussion.

‘The huge elephant in the room is pretty much every student at the elementary & middle school level (have no idea how HS is fairing) are behind about a year in their education with little hope of ever making that up. I’m not sure how you address that? Put an asterisk by every student graduating for the next 15 years? It’s a huge problem.

‘The huge elephant in the room is pretty much every student at the elementary & middle school level (have no idea how HS is fairing) are behind about a year in their education with little hope of ever making that up. I’m not sure how you address that? Put an asterisk by every student graduating for the next 15 years? It’s a huge problem.
Kids are resilient. Sure, they may be a bit behind in some areas, but in general they will be fine. Perhaps there are some things they learned during this time (patience, family time, problem solving, technology adeptness, etc) that will prove to be beneficial. Who knows.

I said months ago the school debate was very tricky and still is.  Our kids have been in person most of the year but I’m still slightly concerned about any long term effects of COVID that we may not know about.  I also know that digital learning was not working well for our kids.  I feel we’ve found a decent (but not perfect) balance between being smart/taking precautions and allowing the kids to be at school.

My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher here in SC and other than the first month back and a few days around Christmas break, has been teaching to full classes in person for the year. There have been many bumps along the way but it can be done, and as safely as possible. I don’t understand why there isn’t an air scrubber in every classroom at this point since it is a very cheap and efficient way of adding an extra layer of protection but that’s for another discussion.

Any teachers go out sick with the 'rona?

Anecdotal example warning and it must be considered that the two schools I'm familiar with are relatively small with remote options, but contact tracing determined that all positives to date likely occurred in social settings. 

Anecdotal example warning and it must be considered that the two schools I'm familiar with are relatively small with remote options, but contact tracing determined that all positives to date likely occurred in social settings. 
What size are the school and classrooms?

Teachers don’t choose if schools are open for face to face or not. Schools are controlled at State and district levels by democratically elected officials.

The Z Machine said:
Yes a few, multiple student quarantines because of parents getting it. At one point everyone in the office was quarantining because of a few cases.

Ilov80s said:
Teachers don’t choose if schools are open for face to face or not. Schools are controlled at State and district levels by democratically elected officials.
This isnt the whole truth. Teachers unions obviously have a ton of influence on these decisions. 

This isnt the whole truth. Teachers unions obviously have a ton of influence on these decisions. 
They have some influence and can voice their opinions just like the parents can. The teachers are under contract to teach this year though and don't have any option but to follow what the school district decides. 

Biden’s appointee in charge of COVID warns that the number of dead Americans from this disease will exceed 500,000 by the end of February. 

does anyone die of natural causes anymore?

does anyone get diagnosed with flu ?

what is "probable" covid19 and why is it included in deaths/diagnosis ?

I submit that anyone who really thinks 400,000 is a valid number should ask hard questions of those telling us that number

I submit that anyone who really thinks 400,000 is a valid number should ask hard questions of those telling us that number
Still?

This was a talking point in June. I thought we all got over this and hopped onto new conspiracies?

If only there were actual studies you can go out and read for yourself.  You don't have to listen to anyone "tell" you anything.  

you're not helping
My point is neither are you. You’re wasting your time IMO trying to argue science and facts with a true believer (or in this case I suppose, a true non-believer.) He’ll never accept your sources. 
This has been my point for months: a large chunk of the right wing in this country has stopped accepting any facts which contradict their previously held beliefs. They are buttressed in this by talk radio, Fox News, and right wing politicians led by the soon to be departing President. It’s the root of most of the problems we currently face. 

Totally agree.  The actual number is likely far higher.

My point is neither are you. You’re wasting your time IMO trying to argue science and facts with a true believer (or in this case I suppose, a true non-believer.) He’ll never accept your sources. 
This has been my point for months: a large chunk of the right wing in this country has stopped accepting any facts which contradict their previously held beliefs. They are buttressed in this by talk radio, Fox News, and right wing politicians led by the soon to be departing President. It’s the root of most of the problems we currently face. 
I didn't argue anything with anyone :shrug:

There are ways to get the information....it's up to us to find it.

"you" = "one" in my comment...perhaps that's your confusion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Physician here, happy to address:

1.  People die of non-covid related things all the time.  The numbers just aren't comparable.  

2.  The flu thing:  

A.  People ARE being diagnosed with the flu.  The numbers are down for a multitude of reasons

a.  We saw in the Southern hemisphere that the flu is milder this season.  This is a blessing, not a conspiracy theory.  

b.  People are wearing masks and washing their hands more than ever.  "But but but if that's the case, why is COVID so high?!"  Covid's more contagious.  

c.  We've had a flu vaccine for a long time.  The COVID vaccine is just being rolled out.  And sure, a lot of people won't take the flu shot--but there are more people getting the flu shot than have gotten the covid shot.  

3.  I don't think there's a lot of probable covid at this point.  It was a problem when we had inaccurate tests and not enough tests.  I'm sure there are situations where people show up in the ER febrile and hypoxic and die before they get tested. I don't believe this is common.

Also wanted to add:  It's been 1.5 weeks since I got the 2nd dose of Pfeizer.  

I went with 3 of the physicians in my group.  We all felt a little rough the next day.  I had headache and chills, but it was gone after a few hours.  Some of my colleagues felt bad most of the day.  

We all bounced back pretty quickly.  No tails.  No one's paralyzed.  

I hope everyone gets on board with getting it soon.

Physician here, happy to address:

1.  People die of non-covid related things all the time.  The numbers just aren't comparable.  

2.  The flu thing:  

A.  People ARE being diagnosed with the flu.  The numbers are down for a multitude of reasons

a.  We saw in the Southern hemisphere that the flu is milder this season.  This is a blessing, not a conspiracy theory.  

b.  People are wearing masks and washing their hands more than ever.  "But but but if that's the case, why is COVID so high?!"  Covid's more contagious.  

c.  We've had a flu vaccine for a long time.  The COVID vaccine is just being rolled out.  And sure, a lot of people won't take the flu shot--but there are more people getting the flu shot than have gotten the covid shot.  

3.  I don't think there's a lot of probable covid at this point.  It was a problem when we had inaccurate tests and not enough tests.  I'm sure there are situations where people show up in the ER febrile and hypoxic and die before they get tested. I don't believe this is common.
flu milder?  you mean almost non-existent ..... why is the question. Its not because of covid precautions obviously (or those would impact covid too) 

flu vaccine a long time  - and we still have the flu

maybe I'm just immune - because I've been around covid positive people several times, hasn't infected me. saying "more contagious" makes it sound like its going to spread like crazy. Its been here at least 13-14 months, maybe longer ....... its already spread to every county in the nation as of last June. 

Its true, its a virus most people are immune to, some people are not. Every effort to stop it has failed miserably and horribly is the better word. But then, who thought we could stop a virus anyway? 

flu milder?  you mean almost non-existent ..... why is the question. Its not because of covid precautions obviously (or those would impact covid too) 

flu vaccine a long time  - and we still have the flu

maybe I'm just immune - because I've been around covid positive people several times, hasn't infected me. saying "more contagious" makes it sound like its going to spread like crazy. Its been here at least 13-14 months, maybe longer ....... its already spread to every county in the nation as of last June. 

Its true, its a virus most people are immune to, some people are not. Every effort to stop it has failed miserably and horribly is the better word. But then, who thought we could stop a virus anyway? 
I think you're not hearing me.

COVID is more contagious than the flu.  The same precautions can help further suppress the less contagious virus.  Studies have shown that COVID particles can last longer than influenza.  

The whole conversation is better understood when you understand that a lot of influenza comes from birds (and other animals).  Because Birds migrate, we can predict flu season by analyzing the flu season from the Southern Hemisphere.  

Because Birds aren't going extinct anytime soon, we'll always have exposure.  And since we can't really eradicate it, it mutates from time to time.  So we make a flu vaccine to minimize the damage those new strains do.  

true - but then why haven't we eradicated influenza ?
Well...

Smallpox was spread person to person.  

Influenza is transmitted person to person as well as from animals/birds to people.  If we could get rid of them, we'd probably eradicate it.  But I'm sure you see the obvious problems with that.

I think you're not hearing me.

COVID is more contagious than the flu.  The same precautions can help further suppress the less contagious virus.  Studies have shown that COVID particles can last longer than influenza.  

The whole conversation is better understood when you understand that a lot of influenza comes from birds (and other animals).  Because Birds migrate, we can predict flu season by analyzing the flu season from the Southern Hemisphere.  

Because Birds aren't going extinct anytime soon, we'll always have exposure.  And since we can't really eradicate it, it mutates from time to time.  So we make a flu vaccine to minimize the damage those new strains do.  
we don't know for sure though

studies now saying lockdowns has no effects over no lockdowns but when they were implemented, we were all told it was going to work - that's the thing about studies, they're only as good as the next one that debunks the previous

I get it on the flu - and coronavirus have been around a long time too (not this variant, right?)  But again, I think there are a lot of misdiagnosis right now IMO because the symptoms are common. That would explain why so few people are getting the flu (by your admission, birds are not going extinct anytime soon)

studies now saying lockdowns has no effects over no lockdowns but when they were implemented, we were all told it was going to work - that's the thing about studies, they're only as good as the next one that debunks the previous

I get it on the flu - and coronavirus have been around a long time too (not this variant, right?)  But again, I think there are a lot of misdiagnosis right now IMO because the symptoms are common. That would explain why so few people are getting the flu (by your admission, birds are not going extinct anytime soon)
This will be the 3rd time I've answered it.  

The flu season was mild in the Southern Hemisphere.  Because birds migrate, we can use the Southern Hemisphere to predict our own flu season.  It's not misdiagnosis, the flu is just mild.   

People probably don't feel bad enough with the flu to go get tested. 

Also:  Hand washing and face masks make a difference.  They're more effective for influenza, a less contagious virus, than for COVID a more contagious virus.  Contagiousness means how likely it is to spread:  The more likely one is going to spread more with the same suppression methods.  

The implication that "they're calling it COVID when it's flu" is another misinformation campaign.  

I've explained it 3 times.  I'm not gonna keep arguing in circles.  

Last edited by a moderator:

The bolded is not true.  There is one study, from quite a long time ago, saying this.  The author of that study has significant conflicts of interest.  All other studies show that lockdowns do reduce spread.

This really is simple.  Mitigation strategies (e.g. masks, social distancing) that help reduce the spread of COVID also greatly reduce the spread of flu.  We predicted this long ago.

400K deaths is undercounting the impact of COVID.  We know this from the difference in expected deaths year over year.  You're just repeating information that has repeatedly been shown to be false, instead of looking at reliable sources of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread