What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (8 Viewers)

So I had a heart attack last week. Not the widow maker, but a heart attack none the less. Have to start cardiac rehab next week. Has anyone been through that before? What can I expect?
Nope but good job staying alive (don't post much, but love all you f'ers). Until we can upload or conciousness to this thread we should all hold on as long as we can...
that legality is being vetted in the test forum
@snogger @Psychopav @Otis @fullbackfro (RIP) are staying late to get this done
I assigned this legal research to @Zow, and he'll get us a memo by COB

So I had a heart attack last week. Not the widow maker, but a heart attack none the less. Have to start cardiac rehab next week. Has anyone been through that before? What can I expect?
Nope but good job staying alive (don't post much, but love all you f'ers). Until we can upload or conciousness to this thread we should all hold on as long as we can...
that legality is being vetted in the test forum
@snogger @Psychopav @Otis @fullbackfro (RIP) are staying late to get this done
I assigned this legal research to @Zow, and he'll get us a memo by COB
To which I promptly assigned to my newly barred associates as non-billable work. Dance, monkeys!

So, first-world problem here, but still...

Moved back to Minnesota and re-joined my football reffing association that I had been in before going out to Oregon for a couple years. So the guy decides to put me on a crew of younger up-and-coming guys that could use a "veteran presence" like me. Great group of guys. Having fun with them. So he tells us that his plan is to have us evaluated by the state high school league early in the year in the hopes that we could maybe get a state playoff game NEXT YEAR. Says there's no chance we'll get one this year with the relative lack of experience of the other guys on the crew. I've never done a state game before.

OK, noted, sounds good.

Well, we apparently scored very well on our evaluation. So, again, the thought was we were in good shape to maybe get a low-level state playoff game next year.

Out of the blue today, we get notified that we've been assigned a Class 5A (out of 6) state quarterfinal game!!!!

Awesome, right? Except my wife and I will be in Nashville with another couple that weekend, and there's no way we can change tickets/plans.

:kicksrock:

So the wife and I are just chilling at home watching the night time price is right.. ..

It's some ladies night theme. These ladies are awful..... The group bidding second of the four on the prize bid $1 :lmao:

Home. Went as well as possible. My nurse was a statuesque smoke show Which Didnt hurt. I got an A+ for my shaving efforts.
Congrats on the regularly beating heart, and impeccable manscaping. How’s your groin?
Pretty good. Buncha absolute pros at Hoag in Newport.

Zero bruise from the IV in my arm and very little bruising in my groin. In fact, most of the bruising was caused by the super flex seal tape that they put over the gauze to keep it sealed up the first 24-48 hours. My moving around would pull at the tape and it caused bruising at the edges. And when I took it off, it ripped some skin off. Not fun.

They used a collagen plug to close the entry point in my groin. No stitches. It’s a barely noticeable bump/mark. It’s tender but it’s amazingly healed up already. Very little bruising from the surgery.

I’ve been very careful/cautious and really haven’t done much all week. All in all, a complete success so far. Hopefully it worked. 😂

Home. Went as well as possible. My nurse was a statuesque smoke show Which Didnt hurt. I got an A+ for my shaving efforts.
Congrats on the regularly beating heart, and impeccable manscaping. How’s your groin?

Zero bruise from the IV in my arm and very little bruising in my groin. In fact, most of the bruising was caused by the super flex seal tape that they put over the gauze to keep it sealed up the first 24-48 hours. My moving around would pull at the tape and it caused bruising at the edges. And when I took it off, it ripped some skin off. Not fun.

They used a collagen plug to close the entry point in my groin. No stitches. It’s a barely noticeable bump/mark. It’s tender but it’s amazingly healed up already. Very little bruising from the surgery.

I’ve been very careful/cautious and really haven’t done much all week. All in all, a complete success so far. Hopefully it worked. 😂
They went through my wrist for my heart cath but shaved the groin as plan B just in case. Had this doohickey on my wrist that trapped air in it and kept pressure on the entry point. I still have a small mark, but it was really nothing, pretty cool though.

They went through my wrist for my heart cath but shaved the groin as plan B just in case. Had this doohickey on my wrist that trapped air in it and kept pressure on the entry point. I still have a small mark, but it was really nothing, pretty cool though.
same prep for my angiogram. less invasive so just a regular bandage on my wrist.

Yeah, ablation requires more, bigger stuff to snake up to the other side of the heart, as compared to angiography.

went on a little test hike today. 2.5 miles. average heart rate 110. spiked to 157 while running a hill i like to run. walked it, walked it quickly and than ran it. heart was totally normal. :pickle: time to start ramping it up!
Most of the post-procedure guidelines ate fairly arbitrary, but I’d probably pump the brakes a bit.

Did your cardiologist green-light you 1-week post-procedure?

went on a little test hike today. 2.5 miles. average heart rate 110. spiked to 157 while running a hill i like to run. walked it, walked it quickly and than ran it. heart was totally normal. :pickle: time to start ramping it up!
Most of the post-procedure guidelines ate fairly arbitrary, but I’d probably pump the brakes a bit.

He did. He said not to go crazy, but after a week, I could start working out. Today was mostly a walk with mild hills. I pushed it a little on the one that I like to run. :shrug: Tomorrow I have PT for my shoulder. I’m going to eliminate some of the compound movements that involve cardio. Wednesday I plan on working out mildly if I feel good. I return to work Thursday, so I’ll err on the side of caution.

All of the post procedure concern seems to center on my leg. I asked about the heart recover8ng and the dr said it would quickly return to normal. Do you have any input there? How large is the burn area? It was my biggest concern going in, but it was always downplayed when I asked about it. All the caution centered on the groin.

feel free to tell me I’m doing it wrong. Zero ego here.

Last edited:

He did. He said not to go crazy, but after a week, I could start working out. Today was mostly a walk with mild hills. I pushed it a little on the one that I like to run. :shrug: Tomorrow I have PT for my shoulder. I’m going to eliminate some of the compound movements that involve cardio. Wednesday I plan on working out mildly if I feel good. I return to work Thursday, so I’ll err on the side of caution.

All of the post procedure concern seems to center on my leg. I asked about the heart recover8ng and the dr said it would quickly return to normal. Do you have any input there? How large is the burn area? It was my biggest concern going in, but it was always downplayed when I asked about it. All the caution centered on the groin.

I’m far from an expert, but the ablation area for atrial flutter is less than fibrillation. So I expect the recovery is quicker.

Nonetheless, I’d increase activity gradually over a couple weeks-a month or so. Running uphill on day 7 isn’t exactly gradual.

My hesitation is based on my personal experience with a fib, coupled with a rudimentary understanding of healing, inflammation and the duration of the “blanking period” after ablation, when the heart circuitry effectively resets.

From everything I’ve read, this process takes a least a month, with the caveat I haven’t seen anything commenting solely on a flutter. So clearly, YMMV.

I’m far from an expert, but the ablation area for atrial flutter is less than fibrillation. So I expect the recovery is quicker.

Nonetheless, I’d increase activity gradually over a couple weeks-a month or so. Running uphill on day 7 isn’t exactly gradual.

My hesitation is based on my personal experience with a fib, coupled with a rudimentary understanding of healing, inflammation and the duration of the “blanking period” after ablation, when the heart circuitry effectively resets.

From everything I’ve read, this process takes a least a month, with the caveat I haven’t seen anything commenting solely on a flutter. So clearly, YMMV.
It’s a little hill…: :oldunsure: I’ll dial it back a touch. I see the dr next Monday. We’ll see what he says.

The poor communication from my daughter’s school is really starting to annoy me. She’s a freshman and our district is a “sending district” which means all our kids have gone to our local school up until 8th grade but now go to a regional high school. So this is our first year in this “district”.

The first annoying thing is that there are 2 separate platforms for both students and parents to track different things: Genesis and Schoology. I’m still not entirely sure what does what. There’s also a third one for student lunch accounts.

How mass emails/communications go out is also confusing as sometimes I don’t get certain communications but my wife does and sometimes I get them but she doesn’t.

They also love to send out “newsletters” that are basically just an emailed link that takes you to a webpage where you have to click another link to take you to a hosted PDFd letter. Just email me the freaking newsletter instead of making me click on multiple links!

The worst is that they simply don’t know how to effectively communicate externally or internally.

Today the upper sophomores and juniors are taking the PSAT. So the school apparently is re-arranging the schedule to accommodate. Which meant the freshman and seniors had to go to different classrooms than normal to start the day. But in the communication to the parents, nowhere did it make clear where the students were to actually go first thing. Supposedly it was in Genesis, but I couldn’t find the info there. For most neurotypical kids I’m sure they can just figure it out. A little tougher for kids on the spectrum/with special needs.

On top of that, apparently my daughter’s bus had a bus safety drill this morning which meant they were later than normal getting to school. So my wife and I got an automated phone call, text, and email that my daughter was marked absent.

You’d think the school could figure out that kids are running late because of a bus drill on their own busses and/or give some allowance for kids finding the right classes on a day where the schedule is different, but no, that would make too much sense.

So instead, my wife spent 15 minutes trying to get through to the school as I’m sure dozens of other parents were also trying to call in about it. So dumb.

TLDR: My daughter’s high school is terrible at communicating anything effectively

I got a letter that said my 7th grader needed to attend a mandatory after school program due to failing grades

The letter referenced a B- in Language Arts. Certainly not great but not failing. Emailed the teacher and counselor and they replied oh he’s fine he can always come if he wants but not required

I guess there’s 2 other kids with the same name so wouldn’t doubt if they mixed up who was supposed to attend

Two more fun school communication issues from this summer when my daughter was in their summer school program:

Issue 1:

GD: Hey school, seems totally weird to it seems like pretty much all school work for the school is done through school issued chromebooks and we’re 2 weeks in without Daughter GD receiving one. Is there something we need to do to get her one?

School: No, she doesn’t need one yet.

GD: Ok cool.

GD: Oh hey, we just got an email saying there’s 2 days for freshman orientation next week and students need to get signed up for one and that’s where they‘ll get their Chromebook. I also see it’s during summer school hours. Do we need to sign her up?

School: Nope, our students won’t be doing the orientation.

GD: Ok, so when will she get her Chromebook.

School: Don’t worry about it, she’ll get one once school starts.

GD: Ok, if you say so.

Day Before Freshman Orientation:

School: Hey, we need you to sign Daughter GD up for one of the days of orientation so she can attend, otherwise she won’t be getting her Chromebook until later.

Me: :hot::wall:

Issue 2:

School send out an email saying we needed to buy specific gym clothes that we could only get through the school. There were 2 days a month from the email where you could go in the middle of the work day and buy the clothes, or you could click a link and order them and pay directly through their vendor.

I, of course, ordered directly through the vendor. And then never heard another word. Tried emailing the school for info on when my daughter would be getting them and heard nothing back.

Daughter GD’s summer school class got put to work helping sell the clothes on the in-person days. She still gets no clothes.

Figure they’ll hand them out the first day of school or something. That doesn’t happen.

Wife finally finds out that she knows the one school secretary and reaches out to find out what the deal is. Turns out that we were just supposed to know that we were supposed to go pick them up on the in-person days (lol) but they couldn’t figure out that my daughter was literally there and could have taken them. There was also some nebulous plan that they would supposedly give them to my daughter “by the time she needed tbem” which the secretary thankfully stepped in and said that was dumb and had them sent home with Daughter GD.

So dumb. They couldn’t just send one stupid email saying “Come pick up any online orders on these dates or we’ll give them to your student on X date once school starts.”

The poor communication from my daughter’s school is really starting to annoy me. She’s a freshman and our district is a “sending district” which means all our kids have gone to our local school up until 8th grade but now go to a regional high school. So this is our first year in this “district”.

The first annoying thing is that there are 2 separate platforms for both students and parents to track different things: Genesis and Schoology. I’m still not entirely sure what does what. There’s also a third one for student lunch accounts.

How mass emails/communications go out is also confusing as sometimes I don’t get certain communications but my wife does and sometimes I get them but she doesn’t.

They also love to send out “newsletters” that are basically just an emailed link that takes you to a webpage where you have to click another link to take you to a hosted PDFd letter. Just email me the freaking newsletter instead of making me click on multiple links!

The worst is that they simply don’t know how to effectively communicate externally or internally.

Today the upper sophomores and juniors are taking the PSAT. So the school apparently is re-arranging the schedule to accommodate. Which meant the freshman and seniors had to go to different classrooms than normal to start the day. But in the communication to the parents, nowhere did it make clear where the students were to actually go first thing. Supposedly it was in Genesis, but I couldn’t find the info there. For most neurotypical kids I’m sure they can just figure it out. A little tougher for kids on the spectrum/with special needs.

On top of that, apparently my daughter’s bus had a bus safety drill this morning which meant they were later than normal getting to school. So my wife and I got an automated phone call, text, and email that my daughter was marked absent.

You’d think the school could figure out that kids are running late because of a bus drill on their own busses and/or give some allowance for kids finding the right classes on a day where the schedule is different, but no, that would make too much sense.

So instead, my wife spent 15 minutes trying to get through to the school as I’m sure dozens of other parents were also trying to call in about it. So dumb.

TLDR: My daughter’s high school is terrible at communicating anything effectively

Two more fun school communication issues from this summer when my daughter was in their summer school program:

Issue 1:

GD: Hey school, seems totally weird to it seems like pretty much all school work for the school is done through school issued chromebooks and we’re 2 weeks in without Daughter GD receiving one. Is there something we need to do to get her one?

School: No, she doesn’t need one yet.

GD: Ok cool.

GD: Oh hey, we just got an email saying there’s 2 days for freshman orientation next week and students need to get signed up for one and that’s where they‘ll get their Chromebook. I also see it’s during summer school hours. Do we need to sign her up?

School: Nope, our students won’t be doing the orientation.

GD: Ok, so when will she get her Chromebook.

School: Don’t worry about it, she’ll get one once school starts.

GD: Ok, if you say so.

Day Before Freshman Orientation:

School: Hey, we need you to sign Daughter GD up for one of the days of orientation so she can attend, otherwise she won’t be getting her Chromebook until later.

Me: :hot::wall:

Issue 2:

School send out an email saying we needed to buy specific gym clothes that we could only get through the school. There were 2 days a month from the email where you could go in the middle of the work day and buy the clothes, or you could click a link and order them and pay directly through their vendor.

I, of course, ordered directly through the vendor. And then never heard another word. Tried emailing the school for info on when my daughter would be getting them and heard nothing back.

Daughter GD’s summer school class got put to work helping sell the clothes on the in-person days. She still gets no clothes.

Figure they’ll hand them out the first day of school or something. That doesn’t happen.

Wife finally finds out that she knows the one school secretary and reaches out to find out what the deal is. Turns out that we were just supposed to know that we were supposed to go pick them up on the in-person days (lol) but they couldn’t figure out that my daughter was literally there and could have taken them. There was also some nebulous plan that they would supposedly give them to my daughter “by the time she needed tbem” which the secretary thankfully stepped in and said that was dumb and had them sent home with Daughter GD.

So dumb. They couldn’t just send one stupid email saying “Come pick up any online orders on these dates or we’ll give them to your student on X date once school starts.”
:lmao: my daughter is a senior. she attends 2! schools. it doesn't get any better. :sadbanana: your kid will learn how to navigate most of the dumb stuff, like the uniforms.

one thing you can do, if your communications portals work like ours, is revisit the set up portion of which emails you want to receive. my wife and i did it separately and therefore we receive different emails. i handle most of the school stuff, so it's funny when my wife comes in hot about some email that has nothing to do with seniors. my kid and i just look at her with a blank look in our eyes. my wife loves it!

and yes, it's the worst.

PT went fine. my therapist's eyes widened when i told her why i was gone last week. she knows i always push it, so was admonishing me to take easy constantly. :lmao: i opted out of the e-stim at the end. i wasn't sure it mattered, but didn't want to introduce outside electrical stimuli, as my heart is resetting it's electrical currents. :oldunsure: another question for the cardiologist on monday

I got a letter that said my 7th grader needed to attend a mandatory after school program due to failing grades

The letter referenced a B- in Language Arts. Certainly not great but not failing. Emailed the teacher and counselor and they replied oh he’s fine he can always come if he wants but not required

I guess there’s 2 other kids with the same name so wouldn’t doubt if they mixed up who was supposed to attend
Wow, multiple kids with Lambskin as their last name is crazy.

Wow, multiple kids with Lambskin as their last name is crazy.

First name

Follow up to my last post:

There was a fire in the engine room around 7:30 am yesterday resulting from a generator explosion (yes, explosion). It set fire to a bunch of area in the engine room including all wiring to the other generator. The rest of the ship is fine, but any kind of electrical on board is toast for the foreseeable future.

I was finishing brushing my teeth, but was fully dressed and packed when it happened. I had a mouthful of toothpaste. I managed to expunge it with the complimentary carafe of water in the cabin. We saw people in bathrobes coming off the ship and lots of partially dressed folks.

Fortunately, we were docked at the time (only for an hour or two) so all passengers were evacuated quickly. We were stuck at Customs for a while until we were given the all clear to go on board and retrieve our luggage. From there, we went to a hotel in South Portland before heading to Boston Logan airport this morning.

I guess the story made NPR and some national news outlets. It could have been a lot worse than it was. Hoping the best for the one crewman who was treated for 2nd degree burns on his arms.

Last edited:

There was a fire in the engine room around 7:30 am yesterday resulting from a generator explosion exploding (yes, exploding). It set fire to a bunch of area in the engine room including all wiring to the other generator. The rest of the ship is fine, but any kind of electrical on board is toast for the foreseeable future.

I was finishing brushing my teeth, but was fully dressed and packed when it happened. I had a mouth full of toothpaste I managed to expunge with the complimentary carafe of water in the cabin. We saw people in bathrobes coming off the ship and lots of partially dressed folks.

Fortunately, we were docked at the time (only for an hour or two) so all passengers were evacuated quickly. We were stuck at Customs for a while until we were given the all clear to go on board and retrieve our luggage. From there, we went to a hotel in South Portland before heading to Boston Logan airport this morning.

I guess the story made NPR and some national news outlets. It could have been a lot worse than it was. Hoping the best for the one crewman who was treated for 2nd degree burns on his arms.
Wow. Didn’t realize you were on the boat!

There was a fire in the engine room around 7:30 am yesterday resulting from a generator explosion exploding (yes, exploding). It set fire to a bunch of area in the engine room including all wiring to the other generator. The rest of the ship is fine, but any kind of electrical on board is toast for the foreseeable future.

I was finishing brushing my teeth, but was fully dressed and packed when it happened. I had a mouth full of toothpaste I managed to expunge with the complimentary carafe of water in the cabin. We saw people in bathrobes coming off the ship and lots of partially dressed folks.

Wow. Didn’t realize you were one the boat!
Yep. Quite an ending to a cruise, right?

and suddenly i understand why Braylon, Braylen, Breighlynn, Braylin and Breylynn are spelled the way they are

i won't mock you kids, anymore.

and suddenly i understand why Braylon, Braylen, Breighlynn, Braylin and Breylynn are spelled the way they are

Thanks Firleigh

Thanks Firleigh
Ghenwhryl Muhlayze

r/tragedeigh is great for these

had my first major "i'm old" moment this weekend.

kids both had friends over. they were making references to The Shining, which i had no idea my kids had seen, so i asked when they watched it without me :( because i love that movie and would had watched with them.

my oldest said: ":lol: we watched other people watching it and commenting on it.

me: ...... you what?

daughter: we watched youtubers watching the movie and talking about it

me: like Mystery Science Theater 3000?

daughter: ??????

me: like the movie was on and youtubers were commenting over it or something??

daughter: :lmao: what? no. the youtubers are watching it on their computers and we watch them talking about the movie.

it took me a couple beat to process it and she knew i was confused. so she explained to me that they don't actually watch the movies, they either watch youtubers watching the movies but never see any (or very few) of the scenes... so they have no idea who the actors/actresses are in the movie.... or they watch youtubers reviewing the movies "because it's easier and faster than watching the whole movie".

i give up

kids both had friends over. they were making references to The Shining, which i had no idea my kids had seen, so i asked when they watched it without me :( because i love that movie and would had watched with them.

my oldest said: ":lol: we watched other people watching it and commenting on it.

daughter: :lmao: what? no. the youtubers are watching it on their computers and we watch them talking about the movie.

it took me a couple beat to process it and she knew i was confused. so she explained to me that they don't actually watch the movies, they either watch youtubers watching the movies but never see any (or very few) of the scenes... so they have no idea who the actors/actresses are in the movie.... or they watch youtubers reviewing the movies "because it's easier and faster than watching the whole movie".

i give up

LOL boomer. I think they're talking about something like this. They still see parts of the movie. But it's a horrible way to "watch" a movie and you need to correct this.

i give up

LOL boomer. I think they're talking about something like this. They still see parts of the movie. But it's a horrible way to "watch" a movie and you need to correct this.
my god. i hate it.

This could belong in the Pet Peeve thread, but it's not really a pet peeve so I shall post here for all of you to guffaw about.

Amazon claims their returns are SOOOO easy. Just a couple clicks on their website and you have a litany of options to process the return: print a label and take to UPS, take to Kohl's as-is and they process it, etc.

I bought a bunch of items that I WAS gonna use for my Halloween costume, but the ladyfriend that I paired up with for a costume had a last-minute change so we pivoted to another costume idea. ANYway, that means I needed to return all the crap that was gonna go unused. One of the items wasn't available for the Kohl's return, just UPS. No big deal, print a label and I'll swing it by the local UPS Store. The other items were the "easy" Kohl's return way. I go to Kohl's and 2 of the 3 items' QR code give the guy at the counter an "error message". So now I have to go print the labels at work and return these items with the other one that's already got a label.

I guess it is a pet peeve... things that companies claim is just SOOOO easy ends up being a pain in the tushie. Get off my lawn.

This could belong in the Pet Peeve thread, but it's not really a pet peeve so I shall post here for all of you to guffaw about.

Amazon claims their returns are SOOOO easy. Just a couple clicks on their website and you have a litany of options to process the return: print a label and take to UPS, take to Kohl's as-is and they process it, etc.

I bought a bunch of items that I WAS gonna use for my Halloween costume, but the ladyfriend that I paired up with for a costume had a last-minute change so we pivoted to another costume idea. ANYway, that means I needed to return all the crap that was gonna go unused. One of the items wasn't available for the Kohl's return, just UPS. No big deal, print a label and I'll swing it by the local UPS Store. The other items were the "easy" Kohl's return way. I go to Kohl's and 2 of the 3 items' QR code give the guy at the counter an "error message". So now I have to go print the labels at work and return these items with the other one that's already got a label.

I guess it is a pet peeve... things that companies claim is just SOOOO easy ends up being a pain in the tushie. Get off my lawn.
:ptts:

Why would you make two stops rather than just taking it all to UPS?

Finally getting around to getting a vasectomy. Was going to get one years ago, but that's when I ended up with the last gf for six years, and she couldn't have kids so it wasn't a concern. Now that I'm back to my old debaucheries, it's time to make sure I don't have a kid in my mid-50s. Consultation is right after I get back from 2 weeks in the Philippines, so it may be too late.

Finally getting around to getting a vasectomy. Was going to get one years ago, but that's when I ended up with the last gf for six years, and she couldn't have kids so it wasn't a concern. Now that I'm back to my old debaucheries, it's time to make sure I don't have a kid in my mid-50s. Consultation is right after I get back from 2 weeks in the Philippines, so it may be too late.
Sounds like you need to hire a better assistant :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread