What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (6 Viewers)

So I had a heart attack last week. Not the widow maker, but a heart attack none the less. Have to start cardiac rehab next week. Has anyone been through that before? What can I expect?
What happened if you don’t mind sharing.
I was sleeping Tuesday night, and I was dreaming that I was having serious chest pains. Woke up and I was indeed having the chest pains. Got up and walked around for awhile trying to shake them off. My wife walked in wondering why I was walking around the bedroom. I told her and she immediately wanted to call 911. Me being pretty stubborn, said no. My pulse wasn't bad, racing a bit, but not bad, no sweating, no difficulty breathing, so I resisted. Finally about 45 mins later the pains subsided.
Weds evening they hit again, same thing about 30-45 mins. Thursday not bad, went to the Brewer game and had a little bit walking from the parking lot.
Friday I felt great. Called my Cardiologist to schedule a stress test, started telling the nurse what was going on and she's like, no, you need to come in to the ER right now, we need to run tests on you.
So I went in, and one of my tests, Tropinin (Sp?) level was over 3,000, and i guess normal is around 70 and is an indicator of a cardiac event. Had a heart cath on Saturday and he found one completely blocked artery and one partially blocked which he fixed during the heart cath.
Got out of the hospital Monday, starting cardiac rehab on Weds and off work for 3 weeks.
Said I was very lucky

So I had a heart attack last week. Not the widow maker, but a heart attack none the less. Have to start cardiac rehab next week. Has anyone been through that before? What can I expect?
I have not, but my dad has and it helped him a lot.

The data show pretty strongly that people who go through cardiac rehab after a heart attack (or angioplasty, or heart surgery, or a heart failure hospitalization) recover better and have fewer subsequent bad outcomes than people who do not.

so I've gotten myself into a mess again. remember Ukrainian gal? well, we stopped seeing each other because one of my married friends apparently started pursuing her. Then it became more public. Then his wife found out. That led to her finding out it wasn't the first time he cheated on her. Now she kicked him out and they are getting divorced. She turned to me, since we've been friends for a long time and this was the chick I was seeing that her husband was now publicly cheating on her with.

One guess what comes after the yada yada yada here.
KNUCKLES!!!!

Nope but good job staying alive (don't post much, but love all you f'ers). Until we can upload or conciousness to this thread we should all hold on as long as we can...
that legality is being vetted in the test forum
@snogger @Psychopav @Otis @fullbackfro (RIP) are staying late to get this done

I was sleeping Tuesday night, and I was dreaming that I was having serious chest pains. Woke up and I was indeed having the chest pains. Got up and walked around for awhile trying to shake them off. My wife walked in wondering why I was walking around the bedroom. I told her and she immediately wanted to call 911. Me being pretty stubborn, said no. My pulse wasn't bad, racing a bit, but not bad, no sweating, no difficulty breathing, so I resisted. Finally about 45 mins later the pains subsided.
Weds evening they hit again, same thing about 30-45 mins. Thursday not bad, went to the Brewer game and had a little bit walking from the parking lot.
Friday I felt great. Called my Cardiologist to schedule a stress test, started telling the nurse what was going on and she's like, no, you need to come in to the ER right now, we need to run tests on you.
So I went in, and one of my tests, Tropinin (Sp?) level was over 3,000, and i guess normal is around 70 and is an indicator of a cardiac event. Had a heart cath on Saturday and he found one completely blocked artery and one partially blocked which he fixed during the heart cath.
Got out of the hospital Monday, starting cardiac rehab on Weds and off work for 3 weeks.
Said I was very lucky
Let this be a lesson to all of you with member numbers lower than 3000. You are not young anymore. If something hurts, get it checked asap!

Said I was very lucky
Let this be a lesson to all of you with member numbers lower than 3000. You are not young anymore. If something hurts, get it checked asap!
Truth! Listen to your body

Yes. Did you have surgery?

I had quadruple bypass a couple years ago. Rehab was very important. I went 3 times a week for about an hour each. Started off slow but improvement was consistent so it was helpful to see my results showing I was getting stronger and stronger. It also made a big difference in my respiration. I could tell I was breathing better and feeling better in general. I'd say the most important part is to stick with it until it becomes a real habit, one where you look forward to it and if you have to miss a session you actually miss doing it.

Make sure you find something to make it fun for you to start with. Music, podcasts, books on tape, videos. Whatever you need to do to keep you engaged while you pedal to nowhere.

I'd suggest reading the Test Forum but, well, you know... :kicksrock:

Said I was very lucky
thank you so much for sharing. my dad died of a massive heart attack. so it's more or less, always on my mind.

we, as men, tend not to share these stories. i'm not sure why. but it seems to be rooted in some sort of machismo/brave front/stoic thing. i'm guilty of this.

in early 2021 i had a heart incident. it's late. 1:30am i'm at home, watching a movie(the dig). having a glass of wine, eating a little cheese. out of nowhere my heart beat suddenly goes crazy! it's literally beating out of my chest. i slap on a work out, heart rate thing i had, and it's registering 150+ wtf!!?? i walk around a bit, no change. now it's 160+. I call 911. go upstairs and wake the wife up. fill her in. we're now consistently flirting with 170.

When I get to to the ER, pretty much the first thing the dr does is stop my heart :eek: he says it all blasé, “so I’m gonna give you this protein, it’s going to stop your heart for a second”. it didn’t work. Heart still pounding away. This lasted for hours. The charge nurse tells me that if my heart rate doesn’t return to normal the next step is shocking me, like with the paddles. Except I have this huge patch stuck my chest that will do the trick. This also stops the heart. jeez.
I ask her if I can go to the bathroom. She says sure, but you’ll have to do it here. Good times. But you know what? Pushing one out in front of an audience did I the trick! Heart rate spiked over 200 while taking the dump, but then it normalized. :lmao: the nurse laughed and said she thought might work. spent the following night in the hospital. Heart never did a thing after taking a dump.

fast forward to now. I’ve had every test under the sun. I have a very healthy heart and have been diagnosed with atrial flutter. Essentially a congenital glitch in the electrical wiring of my heart. I’m having a cardiac ablation in 2 weeks. they go inside my heart burn it, in order to reroute the wiring. What’s that now? :mellow: but it’s an outpatient thing and apparently no big deal. The post op instructions are all about the incision in my thigh, where the catheter goes in. Nothing about the heart. I’ll be back in action in a week.

moral of the story, enjoy taking a dump. :) Luff you guys.

Said I was very lucky
thank you so much for sharing. my dad died of a massive heart attack. so it's more or less, always on my mind.

we, as men, tend not to share these stories. i'm not sure why. but it seems to be rooted in some sort of machismo/brave front/stoic thing. i'm guilty of this.

in early 2021 i had a heart incident. it's late. 1:30am i'm at home, watching a movie(the dig). having a glass of wine, eating a little cheese. out of nowhere my heart beat suddenly goes crazy! it's literally beating out of my chest. i slap on a work out, heart rate thing i had, and it's registering 150+ wtf!!?? i walk around a bit, no change. now it's 160+. I call 911. go upstairs and wake the wife up. fill her in. we're now consistently flirting with 170.

When I get to to the ER, pretty much the first thing the dr does is stop my heart :eek: he says it all blasé, “so I’m gonna give you this protein, it’s going to stop your heart for a second”. it didn’t work. Heart still pounding away. This lasted for hours. The charge nurse tells me that if my heart rate doesn’t return to normal the next step is shocking me, like with the paddles. Except I have this huge patch stuck my chest that will do the trick. This also stops the heart. jeez.
I ask her if I can go to the bathroom. She says sure, but you’ll have to do it here. Good times. But you know what? Pushing one out in front of an audience did I the trick! Heart rate spiked over 200 while taking the dump, but then it normalized. :lmao: the nurse laughed and said she thought might work. spent the following night in the hospital. Heart never did a thing after taking a dump.

fast forward to now. I’ve had every test under the sun. I have a very healthy heart and have been diagnosed with atrial flutter. Essentially a congenital glitch in the electrical wiring of my heart. I’m having a cardiac ablation in 2 weeks. they go inside my heart burn it, in order to reroute the wiring. What’s that now? :mellow: but it’s an outpatient thing and apparently no big deal. The post op instructions are all about the incision in my thigh, where the catheter goes in. Nothing about the heart. I’ll be back in action in a week.

One of my friends just had an ablation for atrial flutter. Very routine, he went home the same day.

so I've gotten myself into a mess again. remember Ukrainian gal? well, we stopped seeing each other because one of my married friends apparently started pursuing her. Then it became more public. Then his wife found out. That led to her finding out it wasn't the first time he cheated on her. Now she kicked him out and they are getting divorced. She turned to me, since we've been friends for a long time and this was the chick I was seeing that her husband was now publicly cheating on her with.

KNUCKLES!!!!
I was going to say knife play - was that Knuckles?

Said I was very lucky

One of my friends just had an ablation for atrial flutter. Very routine, he went home the same day.
Good to hear

KNUCKLES!!!!
nice pull. she's living in Vegas now. Heard from her not too long ago.

KNUCKLES!!!!
I was going to say knife play - was that Knuckles?
no. pull the old GMTAN thread for the knuckles story

Nope but good job staying alive (don't post much, but love all you f'ers). Until we can upload or conciousness to this thread we should all hold on as long as we can...
that legality is being vetted in the test forum
@snogger @Psychopav @Otis @fullbackfro (RIP) are staying late to get this done
What happens in the Test forum has legal consequences for those not in the test forum. :banned:

Said I was very lucky
I’m having a cardiac ablation in 2 weeks. they go inside my heart burn it, in order to reroute the wiring. What’s that now? :mellow: but it’s an outpatient thing and apparently no big deal. The post op instructions are all about the incision in my thigh, where the catheter goes in. Nothing about the heart. I’ll be back in action in a week.
my cousin had this done a few months back. we chatted about it recently. he shook off the procedure as being no big deal. of course nervous going in and all that but said everything went very smoothly.

good luck

Yes. Did you have surgery?

I had quadruple bypass a couple years ago. Rehab was very important. I went 3 times a week for about an hour each. Started off slow but improvement was consistent so it was helpful to see my results showing I was getting stronger and stronger. It also made a big difference in my respiration. I could tell I was breathing better and feeling better in general. I'd say the most important part is to stick with it until it becomes a real habit, one where you look forward to it and if you have to miss a session you actually miss doing it.

Make sure you find something to make it fun for you to start with. Music, podcasts, books on tape, videos. Whatever you need to do to keep you engaged while you pedal to nowhere.

I'd suggest reading the Test Forum but, well, you know... :kicksrock:
Thank you!

No surgery, just a heart cath where he was able to fix the problem

I forgot about this tid bit........

Saturday morning before the heart cath, the surgeon comes in and tells me that it's not real good. He saw a torn valve that's leaking and at least three blockages and that I'll most likely be transferred to St. Lukes for a bypass and open heart surgery. I was astounded, my daughter and wife both started crying, but I was in shock. Just 15 minutes earlier, before he was there and before my wife and daughter got there, I had a electrocardiogram (?) basically an ultrasound of the heart. I asked the girl if she saw anything bad, she said, "Well, I've been doing these for a very long time and I saw nothing on there that would make me run to Cardiology screaming there's an emergency. Big peace of mind...... Then that happened.
So I'm shocked, wife and daughter are crying and they wheel me away. Get to the OR and the Surgeon walks in and says to me "I have good news! I read the wrong report. Looks like you only have one block and one partial, but I'll know more when I get in there"
I'm like that's great but can you send someone to inform my wife and daughter, they were a mess when we left.
Of course no one went to tell them and they didn't know which way was up for the next two hours. That kind of pissed me off.
Still pissed they didn't send someone up to tell them.

Saturday morning before the heart cath, the surgeon comes in and tells me that it's not real good. He saw a torn valve that's leaking and at least three blockages and that I'll most likely be transferred to St. Lukes for a bypass and open heart surgery. I was astounded, my daughter and wife both started crying, but I was in shock. Just 15 minutes earlier, before he was there and before my wife and daughter got there, I had a electrocardiogram (?) basically an ultrasound of the heart. I asked the girl if she saw anything bad, she said, "Well, I've been doing these for a very long time and I saw nothing on there that would make me run to Cardiology screaming there's an emergency. Big peace of mind...... Then that happened.
So I'm shocked, wife and daughter are crying and they wheel me away. Get to the OR and the Surgeon walks in and says to me "I have good news! I read the wrong report. Looks like you only have one block and one partial, but I'll know more when I get in there"
I'm like that's great but can you send someone to inform my wife and daughter, they were a mess when we left.
Of course no one went to tell them and they didn't know which way was up for the next two hours. That kind of pissed me off.
Yea, that would piss me off too. But it’s all good. They didn’t have saw through your ribs.

You probably had an echocardiogram, which is an imaging procedure, as opposed to an electrocardiogram, which is where they hook you up to electrodes to get a sense of how your heart is beating.

(Source: Am a medical journalist who covers cardiology)

Said I was very lucky
Truth! Listen to your body
Listen to your wife, too. Men are usually way too dismissive of this stuff.

Catching a heart attack early gives cardiologists the best chance to intervene, before permanent damage is done. And by early, I mean minutes after symptom onset. Same goes for neurologic symptoms, like weakness/facial droop/slurred speech. One of the main treatments usually can’t be given if you present after 3-4.5 hours.

Not trying to give u a hard time, just a PSA. Glad you’re during OK. Cardiac rehab will start slow, trying to gauge your ability to safely participate in physical activities. They’ll also review diet and stress management. You’ll work with therapists, who will ramp up the exertion as tolerated, in part limited by your motivation to participate. It typically lasts 6 weeks, though can be extended. As @Pip's Invitation said, it’s important to follow through, as patients who complete rehab have better long term outcomes.

Said I was very lucky

:hifive: I’ve also had issues with heart rhythm.

As you‘ve probably figured out by now, I exercise pretty compulsively. Well, one day before running, I randomly decide to check my pulse. It wasn’t too fast, but irregular. I checked again, same thing. So, I remember the iWatch my wife just bought me has an arrhythmia monitor. I check my rhythm, and it results atrial fibrillation. Uh-oh.

I call my cardiologist friend, who recommends I get an official EKG, which confirms the diagnosis. I‘m scheduled to see another cardiologist the next week.

The next day, I decide to do my own stress test. So I went hiking. The trail starts off pretty level, where my HR was 110ish. As the slope gradually increased, up to 130-150. But as the trail transitioned to minor scrambling, the rate jumped up to 200. The funny thing is, I felt OK, just a little more winded than usual. No palpitations or chest pain.

The next week I was cardioverted (shocked), to get the rhythm regular again. But I went back into atrial fib, and eventually needed an ablation (zapping the bad heart circuitry with radio waves, while leaving normal heart conduction pathways intact). Unfortunately, it didn’t take, and I required re-ablation in April. Both were outpatient procedures, with pretty easy recovery. So far, the re-ablation has worked, and I’ve been able to wean off all medications to control my heart rate/rhythm (was on a couple when we met).

While I was recovering a gained a little weight, and was pretty disgusted with my fitness level. That‘s the main reason I participated in the 75 Hard Challenge. Now, I’m doing pretty well, so expect my intensity to ramp up the next time we ski…

A couple things you should know:

The atria are responsible for establishing the rate/rhythm of the heart’s ventricles, the pumping chambers. When they don’t contract properly, there are two main consequences: 1. Heart rate goes too fast, which can cause palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness, and passing out. It also can weaken your heart, causing heart failure in the long term, if unchecked. 2. Blood doesn’t flow smoothly through the atria to the ventricles, which can cause atrial clots. These clots can then dislodge, after which they usually travel to the brain.

So atrial arrhythmias are a major risk factor for stroke. A fib is worse than flutter, but they often coexist. If you have other cardiovascular risk factors (advanced age, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart failure, blood vessel disease in the heart or elsewhere), the treatment of choice is blood thinners, taken indefinitely. This is a major bummer if you want to continue doing activities with risk of head trauma, like climbing, or skiing.

While you’re relatively young, a successful ablation reduces all these risks, essentially eliminating them. This will keep you off blood thinners (though you’ll still take them for a while post-ablation - get it done ASAP, so they don’t interfere with ski season!). It also will keep you from needing to take medication to control the heart rate/rhythm.

One other thing: alcohol is pro-arrhythmogenic. Ideally, you should minimize, or eliminate drinking altogether.

Last PSA for the forum: Doing the “right” things doesn’t guarantee a disease-free existence. I eat nearly a vegetarian diet, exercise daily, have good blood work and maintain a healthy weight. I’ve never smoked, done drugs and rarely drink. Yet my heart started giving me troubles at age 49.

You can’t run away from your genes. And sometimes serious problems start with subtle, or no symptoms. I thought I was just slowing down with age, and I’ve treated hundreds of patients with a fib. All us middle age folks need to establish and see a primary care physician regularly.

Last edited:
Said I was very lucky

As you‘ve probably figured out by now, I exercise pretty compulsively. Well, one day before running, I randomly decide to check my pulse. It wasn’t too fast, but irregular. I checked again, same thing. So, I remember the iWatch my wife just bought me has an arrhythmia monitor. I check my rhythm, and it results atrial fibrillation. Uh-oh.

I call my cardiologist friend, who recommends I get an official EKG, which confirms the diagnosis. I‘m scheduled to see another cardiologist the next week.

The next day, I decide to do my own stress test. So I went hiking. The trail starts off pretty level, where my HR was 110ish. As the slope gradually increased, up to 130-150. But as the trail transitioned to minor scrambling, the rate jumped up to 200. The funny thing is, I felt OK, just a little more winded than usual. No palpitations or chest pain.

The next week I was cardioverted (shocked), to get the rhythm regular again. But I went back into atrial fib, and eventually needed an ablation (zapping the bad heart circuitry with radio waves, while leaving normal heart conduction pathways intact). Unfortunately, it didn’t take, and I required re-ablation in April. Both were outpatient procedures, with pretty easy recovery. So far, the re-ablation has worked, and I’ve been able to wean off all medications to control my heart rate/rhythm (was on a couple when we met).

While I was recovering a gained a little weight, and was pretty disgusted with my fitness level. That‘s the main reason I participated in the 75 Hard Challenge. Now, I’m doing pretty well, so expect my intensity to ramp up the next time we ski…

The atria are responsible for establishing the rate/rhythm of the heart’s ventricles, the pumping chambers. When they don’t contract properly, there are two main consequences: 1. Heart rate goes too fast, which can cause palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness, and passing out. It also can weaken your heart, causing heart failure in the long term, if unchecked. 2. Blood doesn’t flow smoothly through the atria to the ventricles, which can cause atrial clots. These clots can then dislodge, after which they usually travel to the brain.

So atrial arrhythmias are a major risk factor for stroke. A fib is worse than flutter, but they often coexist. If you have other cardiovascular risk factors (advanced age, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart failure, blood vessel disease in the heart or elsewhere), the treatment of choice is blood thinners, taken indefinitely. This is a major bummer if you want to continue doing activities with risk of head trauma, like climbing, or skiing.

While you’re relatively young, a successful ablation reduces all these risks, essentially eliminating them. This will keep you off blood thinners (though you’ll still take them for a while post-ablation - get it done ASAP, so they don’t interfere with ski season!). It also will keep you from needing to take medication to control the heart rate/rhythm.

One other thing: alcohol is pro-arrhythmogenic. Ideally, you should minimize, or eliminate drinking altogether.

Last PSA for the forum: Doing the “right” things doesn’t guarantee a disease-free existence. I eat nearly a vegetarian diet, exercise daily, have good blood work and maintain a healthy weight. I’ve never smoked, done drugs and rarely drink. Yet my heart started giving me troubles at age 49.

You can’t run away from your genes. And sometimes serious problems start with no, or subtle symptoms. I thought I was just slowing down with age, and I’ve treated hundreds of patients with a fib. All us middle age folks need to establish and see a primary care physician regularly.
:hifive:
all of my markers are good. my risk score is 0. the biggest negative is my dad died at 51 of a heart attack. he did smoke for 40 years. :shrug: i've never smoked. i do drink :oldunsure:

i was the same in regards to symptoms. no pain, no dizziness, just a racing heartbeat. i was initially proscribed diltiazem on a regular schedule that was changed to as needed. baby aspirin was recommended as well. i just started a regime of eloquis in preparation for the ablation. should be off of it two months after the zapping. i should have done this sooner, but i was scared and 99% of the time my heart is in normal rhythm. the cardiologist saying that i could do nothing but the chances of having full blown afib were nearly a certainty if i didn't do the ablation, is what spurred me into action.

ablation is scheduled for 10/9. 100% need to be ready for ski season ;)

That definitely sucks.

Imagine the other guy though. “Hey, looks like no big deal.” 20 minutes later: “Oopsy, we read the wrong report and you’re actually dying right now as we speak.”

got my sutab box for 10/9 jam. question for the masses. my jam is 9a monday morning, so my first 12 pills are between 3-6p day before. it says second 12 are 6-8 hoors before procedure, but can i start around 11p? i don’t want to be half asleep on the crapper at 3a. advise welcomed. will answer your heart related query.

got my sutab box for 10/9 jam. question for the masses. my jam is 9a monday morning, so my first 12 pills are between 3-6p day before. it says second 12 are 6-8 hoors before procedure, but can i start around 11p? i don’t want to be half asleep on the crapper at 3a. advise welcomed. will answer your heart related query.
whaa?

My prep was liquid and just a couple of dulcolax, but the office gave me a piece of paper with written directions on exactly when to take everythign to line up with my procedure time. Think I just had to get up at 5 or 6 for the second part before a 10 AM appt.

I remember turning on my side, them telling me I was about to be really sleepy, then walking into the front of my house with pizza, so my advice is limited at best.

Said I was very lucky

You can’t run away from your genes. And sometimes serious problems start with no, or subtle symptoms. I thought I was just slowing down with age, and I’ve treated hundreds of patients with a fib. All us middle age folks need to establish and see a primary care physician regularly.
all of my markers are good. my risk score is 0. the biggest negative is my dad died at 51 of a heart attack. he did smoke for 40 years. :shrug: i've never smoked. i do drink :oldunsure:

i was the same in regards to symptoms. no pain, no dizziness, just a racing heartbeat. i was initially proscribed diltiazem on a regular schedule that was changed to as needed. baby aspirin was recommended as well. i just started a regime of eloquis in preparation for the ablation. should be off of it two months after the zapping. i should have done this sooner, but i was scared and 99% of the time my heart is in normal rhythm. the cardiologist saying that i could do nothing but the chances of having full blown afib were nearly a certainty if i didn't do the ablation, is what spurred me into action.

US guidelines recommend blood thinners for 3 mos post-ablation, European only 2. If you’re low risk for clotting, many cardiologists go with 2. This is important, as you need to be off them by January, when Japan typically get hammered with snow ⛷️

Said I was very lucky

US guidelines recommend blood thinners for 3 mos post-ablation, European only 2. If you’re low risk for clotting, many cardiologists go with 2. This is important, as you need to be off them by January, when Japan typically get hammered with snow ⛷️
Currently scheduled for 2 months post op.

Already booked new years in mammoth. Keep me in the loop for Japan. I’m /IN

whaa?
colo prep
Is this the poop ina box thing?

Haven't heard of pills for colo prep.

Said I was very lucky
No offense GB but please stop trying to be a tough guy. So silly to potentially die because of the we're fine/tough mentality.

Last edited:
whaa?
colo prep

I am doing the same next week. The doc's office said not all insurance will cover the pills yet. It's for the cleanse before the test.

The poop in a box thing is different. I tried that but didn't poop for a week. For some reason, I couldn't poop in a box. They called me after and said where's our box of poop? When I explained that I tried for a week straight and just couldn't do it, they said it happens, no problem. I'm sure they have 10 conversations like that a day :lol:

I had a similar schedule. I did get in the middle of the night to pop my last batch of pills. It sucked. but I came out of the procedure feeling groovy and then just slept the rest of the day.

whaa?
colo prep

i took them. I've heard of everyone else drinking the solution, which tastes like crap. I didn't mind taking the pills.

I had a similar schedule. I did get in the middle of the night to pop my last batch of pills. It sucked. but I came out of the procedure feeling groovy and then just slept the rest of the day.
looks like my last 12 pills are after midnight, so i’ll have a midnight at the oasis. i decided on the pills, i heard that solution is just hideous.

Users who are viewing this thread