What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girlfriend is an in-home caregiver and isn't making her fair share (1 Viewer)

kOOk

Footballguy
She works 120 hours a week (lives there 5 days a week) and makes an average of $13.50 an hour. Her client pays $32 an hour so the agency is making $18.50 obviously. After she asked for a raise a year ago, her boss finagled her hourly wage down to around $9 so that he could keep more of her OT (I know, I know, that was what sent me). But she's a Filipina girl and somewhat new to American business practices, let's say. By the way, she recently received her citizenship, so that's not something he can hold over her.

Her client is a retired fireman who just turned 94 and is a huge pain in the ### but he absolutely loves her and in turn, has run everyone else off. Whoever they send to him either quits or simply will not go back to him. So she is also continually dealing with training another person, and lots of texts on her only two days off. The problem here is she won't leave her client because she's convinced he won't last long without her.

Anyhow, I know nothing about the industry but figured someone here would be able to offer sound advice -- not just about asking for the raise, she's going to do that, but industry protocol and such. In case it matters this is in Cali. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In home care workers are getting really screwed in this country right now. I feel bad for your girl but until we get some more changes to the wage laws not much for it if she refuses to quit.

She works 120 hours a week (lives there 5 days a week) and makes an average of $13.50 an hour. Her client pays $32 an hour so the agency is making $18.50 obviously. After she asked for a raise a year ago, her boss finagled her hourly wage down to around $9 so that he could keep more of her OT (I know, I know, that was what sent me).
Am I reading this correctly? She asked for a raise and got her wage lowered?

She works 120 hours a week (lives there 5 days a week) and makes an average of $13.50 an hour. Her client pays $32 an hour so the agency is making $18.50 obviously. After she asked for a raise a year ago, her boss finagled her hourly wage down to around $9 so that he could keep more of her OT (I know, I know, that was what sent me).
Am I reading this correctly? She asked for a raise and got her wage lowered?
I am very confused as well. Please clarify what exactly she does during those 120 hours and that she took a pay cut.

They give her room and food right?

I did this in college. I lived with 3 high functioning developedly disabled guys in their 20s. I only worked 24 hours a week but had to sleep there 5 nights a week. On weekends other staff would come in. Made 16 bucks an hour plus room, board, and 25 bucks a week. Having free board and food was my payment for staying there.

Trying to understand the math here...

Does her living there 5 days a week somehow get counted as income (e.g. rent included)? On a similar note, does she have to pay for food eaten there or is that also part of a benefit for which she is considered compensated to some $ equivalent?

120 hours is indeed 5 full 24-hour days for those weekdays she is at the client's place, but from a labor standpoint, how is that time tallied? Is she considered working X hours (e.g. 30, 40 hours) and the rest is "on call"? What is regular pay vs. OT?

How did $13.50 shrink to $9 and what happened with her hours from the former to the latter pay?

"Isn't making her fair share" is a judgement call. Tough to chime in on that call without understanding how her income is really calculated.

Help her start her own caregiving business. She has her first client right there. Being Filipina and just receiving her citizenship means she knows a bunch of other Filipina nurses back in the Islands that would love to come over and do the same work- so can grow the business as she gets new clients plus she can help other Filipina's and treat them better than she is being treated.

13.5 * 120 * 52 = 84,240. If she's clearing more than $84K before taxes, that doesn't sound that bad. She does live with a 94 year old dude 5 days a week though, so there's that part.

I did this in college. I lived with 3 high functioning developedly disabled guys in their 20s. I only worked 24 hours a week but had to sleep there 5 nights a week. On weekends other staff would come in. Made 16 bucks an hour plus room, board, and 25 bucks a week. Having free board and food was my payment for staying there.
nnnnnnow I remmmmember you

But she's a Filipina girl and somewhat new to American business practices, let's say. By the way, she recently received her citizenship, so that's not something he can hold over her.
She hab no sols, she clearly doesn't need any moneys! :pickle:

nnnnnnow I remmmmember you
I weeeally goonna putt this. Be weeaddy to cheeeeerr

If the client is paying $32/hr, maybe she can work a deal to work for him directly. Maybe he pays $16/hr above the table as a household employee.

Yes, yes.... of course there is probably some contract somewhere that says they aren't supposed to do that. Eff all that. Just do it in a way the agency doesn't get wind of it.

Tell her to discuss his will with her but make him think it was his idea.

Just kidding. The family probably loves her and knows she's indispensable for his quality of life. See what they think when she mentions to them, "I'm so torn because I love Grandpa Phil. But I'm considering moving to a new job or starting my own business. You all have been so great to me."

She will have them eating out of the palm of her hand and should know what she wants to make her happy ahead of time.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the confusion. What I'm trying to find out is the following:

A.) How underpaid is she?

B.) What should/could she do about it?

I'll get back to her hourly wage drop later but basically it sure appears as though it was a way to get around overtime issues. I just found out about all this stuff and will sort that part out later.

First, I'd like to understand more about where she stands. For example, my Dad has home care 40 hours a week. He pays out of pocket. $20 an hour. The nurse takes home $15 of that. So obviously his caregiver gets 75% of the hourly wage paid to the agency. This woman is getting only 42%. And that's after overtime. Couple this with the base / hourly pay shenanigans and it really smells.

Thanks for the responses I will check-in tomorrow.

sorry bananafish but I will answer the questions tomorrow. don't have time right now. thanks.

Doesn't sound too far off base from what I understand of the business. The agency has all sorts of billing and other issues to deal with and I would imagine is not doing nearly as well as you imagine.

I know the owner of a care company and know of her issues as a small business owner and there are many. As much as it sounds like she should be rolling in cash, it really doesn't work that way.

She doesn't really "work" a full five days per week, first of all... she lives there and is available 120 hours per week, but that's not working 120 hours per week. Certainly she sleeps.

And if she lives there, she probably doesn't pay rent to maintain another place of her own, right? So she's catching a break by not paying any rent anywhere while living with him. I imagine she probably gets meals courtesy of him, too, during those five days, right?

Before saying she doesn't get her fair share... consider everything she IS getting that most people pay for.

Finally... you only get laid those two days a week?

Nice try Kook. You don't give a #### about this wage issue, you are just bragging about a Filipina girl nearly fresh off the boat with a strong work ethic.

Go ahead, tell us how she's also tiny, doesn't spend much money, and gives out orange and brown dots with great enthusiasm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does her company accept insurance from the client?

Figuring that part out would probably be the hard part of going independent on this

Doesn't sound too far off base from what I understand of the business. The agency has all sorts of billing and other issues to deal with and I would imagine is not doing nearly as well as you imagine.

I know the owner of a care company and know of her issues as a small business owner and there are many. As much as it sounds like she should be rolling in cash, it really doesn't work that way.
For the most part this would be true if you were billing multiple clients for a handful of hours each week. But when you are billing one client for 120 hours, that is a very sweet deal for the agency no matter how you cut it. For the amount of work this girl is doing though, she should have no complaints. But this is their client and their gig, so they deserve to milk this deal.

But yeah, we want more details on the :pickle: :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread