What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza II: Here's Where the Story Ends (1 Viewer)

1, is this still open, and 2, if yes, someone cliffs notes for me how it works.  Pretty please
1.  Sure

2.  Nominate a genre of music for the draft.  See post 2 in this thread for what has been nominated for this one, and there is a link to the first genrepalooza so you can glance at was was done last time. 

3.  The rest will be more clear tonight after I set the draft order and do the dice roll, so don't sweat that part.

My genre/category proposal:

After Hours - songs with the word "night" somehow, someway in the title

If that does not fly, I do have a backup proposal.
If people want the more cohesive playlists, this could be expanded to include songs that give the feeling of night time/after hours, so it's less a scavenger hunt/Spotify searching activity and that would be a pretty cool playlist IMO. (just a suggestion, not my category obvs.).

If people want the more cohesive playlists, this could be expanded to include songs that give the feeling of night time/after hours, so it's less a scavenger hunt/Spotify searching activity and that would be a pretty cool playlist IMO. (just a suggestion, not my category obvs.).
Yeah, I like that suggestion as a tweak to that idea.  Not 100% sure what an after hours song would be, but we did a whole draft of summer songs, so I am sure we would figure it out.

And that Scavenger Hunt Draft is the perfect way to describe the way that I think this draft was intended to avoid.  We have done tons of drafts that make us do just that - hunt for songs with 2 Zs in the title or nutty things like that.  Don't want to put words in Eephus' mouth, but I imagine that is the opposite of what he wanted the first GP to be. 

This is more discover some new stuff, get out of your comfort zone a tad (but not too much), and listen to the mixes while sipping some gin. 

just so I understand, the nominations here get voted on before they're officially IN for this draft, right?

If so, my MEAT nomination stands.    let the meatbags vote on their meaty preferences.  

just so I understand, the nominations here get voted on before they're officially IN for this draft, right?

If so, my MEAT nomination stands.    let the meatbags vote on their meaty preferences.  
No votes, usually just friendly discussion on if it will work or not and/or if we think people will bother with it since we can avoid stuff we don't like for the most part.  See rock, prog.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.  Sure

2.  Nominate a genre of music for the draft.  See post 2 in this thread for what has been nominated for this one, and there is a link to the first genrepalooza so you can glance at was was done last time. 

3.  The rest will be more clear tonight after I set the draft order and do the dice roll, so don't sweat that part.
Okay, what the heck.  Thanks, KP.  Sounds fun and entering one of these is usually the quickest way to get me busy elsewhere.   :D   

My genre: songs with at least three distinct, individual vocal parts by three different people.   Can be a lead vocal plus harmonies, doesn't need to be three+ lead vocals, but this excludes multitracking of the same person's voice.  

Okay, what the heck.  Thanks, KP.  Sounds fun and entering one of these is usually the quickest way to get me busy elsewhere.   :D   

My genre: songs with at least three distinct, individual vocal parts by three different people.   Can be a lead vocal plus harmonies, doesn't need to be three+ lead vocals, but this excludes multittracking of the same person's voice.  
I had considered shared vocals or "harmonies" or something similar as my category.

My genre: songs with at least three distinct, individual vocal parts by three different people.   Can be a lead vocal plus harmonies, doesn't need to be three+ lead vocals, but this excludes multitracking of the same person's voice.  
Oh, boy.  I'm ready for this pick.

And that bluegrass stuff.  I like that sort of thing.

KarmaPolice said:
LINK TO THE ORIGINAL GENREPALOOZA

IN for part 2:

KP

Mr. Ected  - Acoustic/Unplugged

Northern Voice  - 90s Indie/Alternative

Hov34  - Slo-Mo Entrance songs

rockaction  - 90s hip-hop

JML  - Australian or New Zealand born singers

Doug B - British Top 10 Singles ('80-'89)

Dr. Octopus

dal_boys_phan - After Hours

El Floppo - Post-Punk ('77-'85)

OZ  - Southern Rock

ren hoek

AhrnCity - MEAT

Steve Tasker  - Dream pop/Shoegaze

simey - Bluegrass

Bonzai

Ilov80s

The Dreaded Marco - Baroque Pop

sn0mm1s - Songs Without Lyrics

Eephus  - Piano Ballads

Abrantes

Waingro - TV Theme Songs

Mister CIA

cosjobs  - pre -80s Baldies

krista4 -

Mrs. R - comedy tracks/skits <10mins long

Aerial Assault - shared vocals (3 or more different vocal parts in one song)
Here is the list I have so far.  I might have missed somebody though.  I highlighted the only 2 that seemed to get a slight murmur from the crowd, so we still have time to discuss before I roll the bones.

Looks like there are only 8 more of us left to declare genres.  I will do mine last, and I will @ people in a couple hours for a reminder if they haven't shown up.  Since we have only had one straggler show up today, I will at least get the draft order up very soon so we have that.

Would psychobilly be too limited?  I could include cowpunk, too, if it helps.

ETA:  Or just go with cowpunk alone.

Y'all know this morning I put on my finest Redbubble purple College Dropout shirt in order to celebrate hip hop day for Genrepalooza II. Ordered it in that color to celebrate how it looked on the tangible CD. Hip. Hop. 

I have 0 clue what cowpunk is, but if you want to do that as well, and think it opens it more for people, it's perfectly fine - like the Dream Pop/Shoegaze genre.
fwiw, cowpunk is a bit more expansive than psychobilly. I personally don't have a preference though.

vote:   pair cowpunk and psychobilly to be one category.   the overlap of them and room they both allow is enough for a good mix of songs.  

Made list and randomized it 3 times and came up with this draft order:

1.  Northern Voice

2.  El Floppo

3.  sn0mm1s

4.  simey

5. Mr. Ected

6. Abrantes

7.  Mister CIA

8.  AhrnCityPahnder

9.  Aerial Assault

10.  Ilov80s

11. Bonzai

12.  Waingro

13. Mrs Rannous

14.  dal_boys_phan

15.  Rockaction

16.  KarmaPolice

17.  John Madden's Lunchbox

18.  The Dreaded Marco

19.  Ren Hoek

20.  cosjobs

21.  krista4

22. Eephus

23.  Oz

24.  Steve Tasker

25.  Doug B

26.  Hov34

27.  Dr. Octopus

if Meat gets recalled for e-Coli concerns,  my genre nomination is for 80s and 90s Industrial
Meat Beat Manifesto would have dual eligibility

Looking forward to this category.  I wasn't into it at the time but my tastes have broadened since then and it's not a type of music that gets played on the radio

Meat Beat Manifesto would have dual eligibility

Looking forward to this category.  I wasn't into it at the time but my tastes have broadened since then and it's not a type of music that gets played on the radio
Except for one song over and over again...

RE:  Bald dudes. 

Does the artist have to be bald at the time the recording was made? 

How much hair loss qualifies as bald? 

When did Phil Collins transition from follically challenged to bald?

What about people like The Edge, LL Cool J, Steve van Zandt and Dwight Yoakam who always wear headwear to cover up their baldness? 

Is Sinead O'Connor eligibile?

Figured I'd ask you guys instead of taking out another thread. What is the best mixed and worst mixed album you've ever heard? Right now, I'm listening to a remix of the Chili Peppers's I'm With You, and it sounds great. Some fan took editing software and just upped the guitars and bass in the mix, and it sounds good. 

What albums can you guys and women think of that need a serious remix, or suffer from recording issues? Anything come to mind?    

RE:  Bald dudes. 

Does the artist have to be bald at the time the recording was made? 

How much hair loss qualifies as bald? 

When did Phil Collins transition from follically challenged to bald?

What about people like The Edge, LL Cool J, Steve van Zandt and Dwight Yoakam who always wear headwear to cover up their baldness? 

Is Sinead O'Connor eligibile?
He made it more difficult by going pre-80s. Most of those people wouldn't qualify!

I might change this to holiday tunes. I mean it is October. 

Unless someone else claims either.

Thanks ected for taking acoustic, that was my 3rd choice.  :thumbup:
I like this idea a lot.  Only problem I can think of is whether it should change to xmas/whatever music after 10/31

Figured I'd ask you guys instead of taking out another thread. What is the best mixed and worst mixed album you've ever heard? Right now, I'm listening to a remix of the Chili Peppers's I'm With You, and it sounds great. Some fan took editing software and just upped the guitars and bass in the mix, and it sounds good. 

What albums can you guys and women think of that need a serious remix, or suffer from recording issues? Anything come to mind?    
The worst mixed album has to be something with everything turned up to max decibels from the mid-00s

The worst mixed album has to be something with everything turned up to max decibels from the mid-00s
MC5, The New York Dolls, and others had issues with their mixes. Not to spotlight, but the MC5 was especially considered a nightmare to mix. 

I think your point about mid-aughts is well-taken, though. Interpol's mixes sound great, though.  

MC5, The New York Dolls, and others had issues with their mixes. Not to spotlight, but the MC5 was especially considered a nightmare to mix. 

I think your point about mid-aughts is well-taken, though. Interpol's mixes sound great, though.  
something about that era... Nick Drake, to me, should be better on the mix given the simplicity of what he's doing. 

Users who are viewing this thread