What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GDB Deer are taking over... (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
I'm so sick of deer.  Little ######## keep eating every plant I plant.  Deer aren't supposed to eat Boxwoods.  ####### ate my little Korean Boxwoods over the winter.  ####### aren't supposed to like Marigolds.  Cropped 4 pots of Marigolds ON MY FRONT PORCH overnight.  They aren't supposed to eat Andromeda, most ornamental grasses, White Pine, or Juniper....well guess what.  ####### ate all of those too.  They even ate potted zinnia through the railing of my deck.  #######.  Probably eaten $400+ worth of landscaping plants in the last year.

Anybody have any tips?  I used to shoot them with a pellet gun or sling shot, but now they've switched their tactics to overnight munching so I rarely see it happen.  Fencing the yard in isn't an option.  Do any of the sprays actually work?  I've read about hanging soap on things...Also something about sprinkling human hair around. 

Elaborate on how this would help please?  She'd keep coming back for more....
Then have sex with your human animal hybrid children, and then their children, and so on. Eventually you'll create a breed you can control and teach to not eat your plants.

Put out a bunch of food they'll prefer so they stay away from your plants.  They'll eat anything if they're hungry enough.   

I think you need to populate your yard with as many of deer's natural predators. be they mountain lion, be they wolf, be they whatever.

or a deer-proof fence like my brother put up at his place.

I'm so sick of deer.  Little ######## keep eating every plant I plant.  Deer aren't supposed to eat Boxwoods.  ####### ate my little Korean Boxwoods over the winter.  ####### aren't supposed to like Marigolds.  Cropped 4 pots of Marigolds ON MY FRONT PORCH overnight.  They aren't supposed to eat Andromeda, most ornamental grasses, White Pine, or Juniper....well guess what.  ####### ate all of those too.  They even ate potted zinnia through the railing of my deck.  #######.  Probably eaten $400+ worth of landscaping plants in the last year.

Anybody have any tips?  I used to shoot them with a pellet gun or sling shot, but now they've switched their tactics to overnight munching so I rarely see it happen.  Fencing the yard in isn't an option.  Do any of the sprays actually work?  I've read about hanging soap on things...Also something about sprinkling human hair around. 

Meanwhile, over on BritishSaltLovers.com...

So I found this American football website with posts from an old coworker of mine who told his friends there about the practical jokes he played on me for a long time. Cheeky chap.

I found out where he lives and I've been sneaking over at night and cutting his plants up with shears and leaving hoof marks behind like it was deer.

Who needs a salt lick now, Nick?

I hate deer.  I almost flipped my jeep when some ran out in front of me on a highway in Nebraska.  #####...

Venison is awesome.  Lean, all natural red meat.  Goes great in anything you would use super lean ground beef for.
A matter of opinion and taste I suppose. Around here, my friends, neighbors and family are all trying to give me their venison every fall. The tenderloin is good, but they all keep that. It can be decent as a sausage if they use a ton of spices.

I've had decent luck using deer repellent sprays in some areas and a couple of scarecrow sprayers in the more important places where I have lots of plants.

Everybody has to eat...

but I am now genuinely curious about how one gets a job as a coyote urine juicer. 
somebody here must know about this process.

so... make friends with a coyote. get it drunk. put it's paw in a bowl of warm water and rinse out the sheets in morning? give it the jug and just let it go wild? does somebody have to hold the coyote's **** to aim it in the jug? I'm going to bring in the big guns here.. @mr furley

Driving though Nebraska was an experience... No clue how some of those town survive. 
Surprised you stayed awake.

As one comedian described: "looking out the window, it's fence post, fence post, cow.... fence post, fence post, cow" 

I'm shocked when I hear things like "I hate deer. Kill em all"!

Its a wild animal and not generally dangerous. If you want to protect your property it's your responsibility to do so without harming wildlife unneccesarily. Put up a fence or something if it's that big a nuisance. It's not like we are talking about feral pigs destroying land and spreading disease. It's deer.

I'm shocked when I hear things like "I hate deer. Kill em all"!

Its a wild animal and not generally dangerous. If you want to protect your property it's your responsibility to do so without harming wildlife unneccesarily. Put up a fence or something if it's that big a nuisance. It's not like we are talking about feral pigs destroying land and spreading disease. It's deer.
Deer destroy way more crops than feral pigs, and if spreading disease is your criteria, they're guilty again--Lyme disease is a growing problem in our area thanks in large part to the deer herd helping spread ticks.

Deer destroy way more crops than feral pigs, and if spreading disease is your criteria, they're guilty again--Lyme disease is a growing problem in our area thanks in large part to the deer herd helping spread ticks.
Why do I never hear about destroying crops? Why do they still have protected game animal status if they are such damaging pests?

Get a dog.  Not a fluffy puntable dog your wife thinks is cute.  Get an outside dog, and let it stay outside.  Keeping deer away is its job and it should be successful.

Why do I never hear about destroying crops? Why do they still have protected game animal status if they are such damaging pests?
Because the herds can be managed through hunting. When you take into consideration the square footage of crops to the number of deer, there is not way they could do enough damage to crops. 

Hunting deer has more to do with population control to prevent disease than to save plants. 

Because the herds can be managed through hunting. When you take into consideration the square footage of crops to the number of deer, there is not way they could do enough damage to crops. 

Hunting deer has more to do with population control to prevent disease than to save plants. 
I can't imagine they are pests to food production more than the feral pig population in many parts of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread