What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W4 - Baltimore V Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

I know the Stillers offense is struggling but punching out a couple of first downs from deep in their own territory is keeping Baltimore from getting great field position. With that D, that may be enough to hang around and make a big play to win it.

Last Play: 2-8-BAL 12(2:36) L.McClain left end to BLT 17 for 5 yards (R.Clark). BLT-L.McClain was injured during the play.

Is Baltimore going to have any RBs left by the end of the game? Jeez lol

Finally Ike Taylor hangs on to an interception. If he only had better hands, he might be one of the premier corners in the league. But he drops so many...

Wow, Ratbirds dodge another bullet. They'll be kicking themselves if they don't make enough happen to steal a win in Pittsburgh.

If the saints can bench that kicker who won the NFC championship game, the Steelers can boot Jeff Reed and not look back. :mellow: :wall:

If the saints can bench that kicker who won the NFC championship game, the Steelers can boot Jeff Reed and not look back. :mellow: :wall:
Apples and oranges. It's extremely difficult for any kicker to consistently make 45+ yards at Heinz Field, especially in the open end with the wind swirling. Reed's been historically as good as anyone, but I would still say it's less than 50%. Hartley kicked in a dome.

Tough, tough loss for the Steelers. But it was a great game, and Flacco was really clutch. I'll take 3-1 without Ben. Going to be a long season.

Feeling pretty good about 3-1 with a 3rd or 4th string QB.

Steelers still the team to beat in the AFC North imo.

Once again it is our overrated secondary that kills us

But you wait Steelers fans will blame Arians and Batch for this loss. Just like they blame Dixon for losing last year :towelwave:

Roethlisberger has usually been the final difference between these two teams but wins have been brutally difficult to come by for the Ratbirds in Pittsburgh so we'll take it.

The past couple of years, they haven't made that one big play at the end to beat a quality team on the road. Maybe it was the upgrade at WR, maybe it's just Flacco getting better, but that was a clutch drive against what I still think is the league's best defense.

See you in Baltimore, y'all. The AFC North is on. :football:

If you're very quiet, you may notice the reclusive Northen ViQueens troll showing his face for the first time this year. Ahhh! And there he is! :scared: 1-2 with Favre? guess you need SOMETHING to be excited about this year.
I don't understand, do you only wave those things when you win? Have another, feel better. :football:

Congrats Ravens. You beat the Steelers 4th string QB with help from Reed who missed two FGs he usually makes.

Congrats Ravens. You beat the Steelers 4th string QB with help from Reed who missed two FGs he usually makes.
And as I said above, the Ravens missed at least one INT that Ed Reed would've had, a block Yanda missed that Gaither would've had, and better running if Rice had've been healthy. See how that works?

And as I said above, the Ravens missed at least one INT that Ed Reed would've had, a block Yanda missed that Gaither would've had, and better running if Rice had've been healthy. See how that works?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I know you don't. Wanna dig up last year's threads when Troy was hurt?

The Steelers would have been 19 and OH! if Troy didn't get hurt last year.

The Steelers would have been 19 and OH! if Troy didn't get hurt last year.
My bad :wink:Good, tough game. :mellow:

Gotta gets points off turnovers in opponent's territory. No excuses.

Those 2 false starts backed up with 2 minutes left were devastating. Even if you don't get the 1st down, you give Sep a chance to get a decent punt off. And then a hold on the punt? Sorry, just don't deserve to win with those types of boneheaded plays in clutch time. Especially with the 2009 4th quarter defense taking the field.

Good game, Ravens. See you in December.

Apologies to the Steeler fans for semi-tinkling in this thread yesterday.

Anyway, some random thoughts after sleeping on it:

1. That's two games in a row where Flacco has led the Ravens to a late score for the win - something Ravens fans have been waiting to see. He played well and it's apparent that the coaches have been working on his mechanics.

2. Baltimore's D played well, aside from the one 93 yard drive in the 4th. The offense had put them in a couple of holes but they kept the Steelers far enough away for Reed to miss. Were both of those missed FGs at the "bad" end of the stadium?

3. As a Ravens fan, I'm well aware how frustrating it can be for the team you root for to make just one too many mistakes and lose a close game. Without Ben, the offense isn't explosive enough to overcome them. The defense played well enough for Pittsburgh to win had just one or two of those mistakes not happened.

4. I thought Nantz/Simms brought up an interesting point about Batch being the last of a dying breed - the long-time back up QB for a team. I tried to think of another recent example and couldn't come up with one. Seems like in the old days, we had a lot of them (Craig Morton, Earl Morrell, Don Strock, Deberg, the guy that was Bradshaw's b/u, etc...). Anyway, I've always liked Batch. He's modestly talented for an NFL QB, but has carved out a pretty nice career when other, more ballyhooed QBs have crashed and burned. Good for him and the Steelers.

5. Good to see TJ get involved in the game for more than one play. I think the Ravens are starting to show signs of potential explosion abilities on offense. They're not there yet, though - 17 pts is the most they've scored in a game so far.

6. Mendenhall has come a long way - he ran decisively and with power. The Ravens are tough to run on (unless your name is Hillis) and, though his numbers weren't spectacular, Mendy was by far Pitt's best chance to win yesterday.

I think Nantz said yesterday that Ed Reed was due back in Week 7. That could be big for a defense that, while giving up yardage very grudgingly, hasn't been forcing turnovers. I think Ray's was their first INT this year.

The Ratbirds were No. 1 against the pass coming into the game and should be near there again after limiting Batch to 141 yards yesterday. That's pretty good since the secondary was so beat up and so maligned coming into the season. But it must also be put into context -- so far they've faced Sanchez, Palmer and Seneca Wallace, not any of the big NFL guns. A red hot Kyle Orton (can't believe I typed that) this week may be their stiffest test to date.

Not enough has been said of the offensive line yesterday, who kept the hounds at bay for the most part and gave Flacco time to find his receivers in the mid-range routes. The Stillers blitzed on the winning TD (which Ray Rice and Heap did a great job picking up) and that left scant coverage for three quality receivers running routes into the endzone. Housh had single coverage (I couldn't see what was happening to Mason and Boldin) and beat his man cleanly. If the Ravens get that kind of stuff working with regularity, they're going to force opponents to pick between unpalatable poisons.

A year ago, Ravens comebacks against Minnesota, New England and Indianapolis, to name a few, came up short in the most painful of ways. As my gb Uruk noted, Joe has now engineered last minute drives for two straight games. He's still getting better but a guy named Boldin on the roster certainly helps as well.

Big Ben will be back for the rematch and he could be indeed be the difference. The Stillers match the Ravens in personnel everywhere else and Ben has been a nightmare for the locals to stop in crunch time. Still, Ed Reed should be in there as well, and he could very well make a big play on the other side. 3-1 is pretty good for both teams, considering the Pittsburgh QB woes and the Ravens difficult early schedule. It's pretty clear that it's gonna be these two battling at the top of the standings all season long.

One other thing the Ravens did well was keep Polomalu from making his usual 9,000 big plays against them. He had the one big tackle-for-loss that played into Cundiff missing a FG, but other than that his name was called very few times. With as many receiving options as the Ravens have now, Flacco was able to throw the ball with confidence to Non-Troy parts of the field - same thing Manning has done to Reed & the Ravens D for a decade. Several of Flacco's incompletetions were throwaways, which was also encouraging to see - though he waiting on a few of them longer than I was comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread