What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (1 Viewer)

No, that is the lazy reading of legitimate criticism that the flip was unearned.  That if you need to use the previews to remind the audience of her occasional darkness, cruelty toward her enemies, and familial mental illness, that maybe...just maybe you haven't properly laid the groundwork for her turn from flawed & entitled champion of the oppressed innocent to the greatest homicidal mass murderer of innocents in the 12,000 year history of the world. 

But don't let that stop you and others from building up and then tearing down straw men.

Carry on.
Her mass murder didn't make any logical sense!

Was she supposed to ignore cersei's army which cersei had specifically said she had strategically intermingled with the townsfolk to slow dany down?

Would it help if she'd spent most of her life with ther dothraki, who lay waste to villages, and the one time she stopped them it ended with the loss of her husband, her son and her ability to ever bear children again?

Would it help if she were a targaryen, known for taking westeros by burning cities to the ground with their dragons? 

Would it help is king Robert had tried to kill her because the thought of a targaryen with a dragon and a dothraki hoarde coming to kings landing terrified him? 

Would it help if she'd met with her advisors in season 7 and tyrion had to advise her not to go destroy kings landing?

What about if she'd followed the advice, saying she didn't want to be queen of the ashes, but all of their alternative plans had failed miserably? 

Was she supposed to have her dragons burn people to send a message like she did in mereen with one of the masters?

Was she supposed to do it again to send a message like she did with the tarleys?

Was she supposed to act remorseless about killing people with her dragons like she did when she calmly told samwise that she'd killed his father and brother? 

Was she supposed to kill countless people like she did with the ships in slavers bay, the money train, the army of the dead, and the iron fleet?

Maybe if jorah had just died in her arms and then her dragon got shot down in front of her and then miss sandy got decapitated in front of her?

Maybe if varys openly betrayed her, and from her perspective tyrion appeared to have betrayed her as well?

Maybe if jon's claim to the throne was being made public hours before she finally completed her life long goal of taking kings landing? 

Maybe if jon rejected her and the only path left to the throne was to rule by fear? 

If that's not enough buildup, what would it take to make mass murder seem logical to you?  

There's my boi! Tell em George! #### you readers of books!

I was thinking back to when the former 3 eyed Raven said to Bran "you will never walk, but you will fly".  Could this hint at Bran flying the last dragon?
While cool I guess that's not Bran's MO anymore. He observes but tries not to get involved. No reason for him to do this unless he wants to change history which isn't his charge. It would be way out of character for him to do this IMO. If the dragon has to be involved in this I'd rather see it bow to Jon over Dany, that would be a cool twist. I don't think either happen because it's outside of the obvious and this show has telegraphed everything that has taken place this season since episode 1. I don't look for them to break from that mold now.

Umm she can't be fried
Not by normal fire...was it stated she could withstand super magic infused dragon fire?

There's nothing wrong with not liking the show. And i genuinely respect some of the issues people have had with the writing and decisions the show runners have made 

I feel like it's worth defending these things because all the negativity out there started to impact my enjoyment of the show, and i realized I still really liked it. 

The first posts after the episode said things like omg, best episode in years, this is vintage GoT.  Then a bunch of internet dorks who were already mad the show had outpaced the books took over the conversation.

This is the show only thread.  I bet if we had stuck with that there would have been a lot fewer complaints because it seems like the book people are complaining way louder. 

Please try to enjoy the one episode that you will ever have to see this show again. Just try. It shouldn't be a big thing to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Grey Worm is a bad dude now too, right?

So Arya grabs Grey Worms face offscreen.  And the sidles up next to Dany  onscreen and....see ya Mad Queen
I could see that happening, but that would mean Grey Worm would need to die first. I guess I could see Jon taking GW out. 

Is that what people took from the scene with Varys and the child - that he sent her to do his dirty work and she was updating him that she wasn't drinking or eating?  She seemed worried about the guards, but was that just normal spy/Master of Whispers stuff.  
I didn't at first, I thought she was just a little bird. But considering that he specifically told her to get back to the kitchen before she was missed, it makes sense. 

Well, I'm assuming the reviews reflect how most feel in here as well. Right? I know some people enjoyed the episode, but most didn't. I'm pretty ambivalent on it. I understand that they had to wrap up multiple character developments and story-lines, but this whole season was soooo rushed. These last 5 episodes should've taken an entire 10-episode season, if not longer. They took 6-7 seasons of intricate development on key characters, especially the females, to have it all go down like this? I guess...

1. Arya's fleeing was disappointing, but in the end Sandor protected her, which is respectable. I'm on board with the thinking that Bran sent the horse for her.

2. Cersei deserved worse. The "nothing else matters" embrace with Jamie was fitting, but I would've loved to see Dany torch them both while they were in that moment.

3. The Clegane fight was the best part of the episode. A+ on that. Epic. Perfect.

4. Dany's flip wasn't all that surprising, but I think they could've cut down on some of the "here's Drogon flying and burning the city" scenes. Could've squeezed in some more dramatic character engagements.

5. If I had to take a guess at who's on the Iron Throne in the end: 1. Sansa 2. Jon 3. Daenarys. Wouldn't be surprised if both Jon and Dany die in the final episode, leaving it to Sansa.

6. I really, really, really hope Tyrion survives.

There's nothing wrong with not liking the show. And i genuinely respect some of the issues people have had with the writing and decisions the show runners have made 

I feel like it's worth defending these things because all the negativity out there started to impact my enjoyment of the show, and i realized I still really liked it. 

The first posts after the episode said things like omg, best episode in years, this is vintage GoT.  Then a bunch of internet dorks who were already mad the show had outpaced the books took over the conversation.

This is the show only thread.  I bet if we had stuck with that there would have been a lot fewer complaints because it seems like the book people are complaining way louder. 

Please try to enjoy the one episode that you will ever have to see this show again. Just try. It shouldn't be a big thing to ask.
The snark is everywhere man. There is some guy on Twitter I genuinely enjoy reading saying Cersei got killed by rocks and the night king a butter knife and laughing about how dumb it is. I had to unfollow because I cannot allow that kind of just inherent stupidity into my brain. It’s like some of these trolls have a lobotomy 5 minutes after the show ends. 

Well, I'm assuming the reviews reflect how most feel in here as well. Right? I know some people enjoyed the episode, but most didn't. I'm pretty ambivalent on it. I understand that they had to wrap up multiple character developments and story-lines, but this whole season was soooo rushed. These last 5 episodes should've taken an entire 10-episode season, if not longer. They took 6-7 seasons of intricate development on key characters, especially the females, to have it all go down like this? I guess...

1. Arya's fleeing was disappointing, but in the end Sandor protected her, which is respectable. I'm on board with the thinking that Bran sent the horse for her.

2. Cersei deserved worse. The "nothing else matters" embrace with Jamie was fitting, but I would've loved to see Dany torch them both while they were in that moment.

3. The Clegane fight was the best part of the episode. A+ on that. Epic. Perfect.

4. Dany's flip wasn't all that surprising, but I think they could've cut down on some of the "here's Drogon flying and burning the city" scenes. Could've squeezed in some more dramatic character engagements.

5. If I had to take a guess at who's on the Iron Throne in the end: 1. Sansa 2. Jon 3. Daenarys. Wouldn't be surprised if both Jon and Dany die in the final episode, leaving it to Sansa.

6. I really, really, really hope Tyrion survives.
I can definitely get on board with #4. I loved that episode but at some point I got a little bored with all the destruction. The Wars/fights in general have always been my least favorite part of the show. 

So talking thrones thinks he got legit spoilers and has quit doing videos?  What a bummer.  Following youtube comments to figure out what is going on with that is worse than getting people's lazy takes here.

Yeah I have not heard fans say it...Ive heard the other actors talking positively about him though.
Sure but what is Lena Headey going to say? "Oh yeah he sucks and the character is a bore. I hope they kill him off and get rid of the actor." 

No, that is the lazy reading of legitimate criticism that the flip was unearned.  That if you need to use the previews to remind the audience of her occasional darkness, cruelty toward her enemies, and familial mental illness, that maybe...just maybe you haven't properly laid the groundwork for her turn from flawed & entitled champion of the oppressed innocent to the greatest homicidal mass murderer of innocents in the 12,000 year history of the world. 

But don't let that stop you and others from building up and then tearing down straw men.

Carry on.
They have been getting her character wrong since the scene when she first bedded Daario, putting her in control, and not making her out to be the flighty young girl the character actually was/is. The problem wasn't failing to see the turn coming. The problem was watching them build up the character over the seasons knowing this turn was coming. Just like Martin with his cliffhanger endings to chapters throughout the book, the sudden twists grow old. Turning Mhysa into a murderer of innocents should've taken more than it did.

Having only started the series this past winter, I was #TeamDany from early on. Just loved the character and what she stood for, and understood the times she used tough love, because there was actual method and reasoning to her madness. I personally do not like where her character ended up, but it's really not shocking. Literally everyone she loved and trusted betrayed her, aside from Missandei (RIP) and Grey Worm, who is currently teetering on the brink of madness himself, IMO. 

What I realized watching this last episode was that Tyrion is my favorite character. Dinklage was just masterful from start to almost-finish in this show, no matter what other characters he was interacting with, and I can't get enough Tyrion scenes. 

Sure but what is Lena Headey going to say? "Oh yeah he sucks and the character is a bore. I hope they kill him off and get rid of the actor." 
True but it wasn’t just that...some

went out of their way to talk about him as one of their favorites on set. 

I think it was in those several clips someone posted looking back at each of the main characters before the season started.

Yes. We don't know exactly how rough the outline was though and how much the showrunners deviated from it. 
Yep, people are assuming it was a basic outline like who dies, Dany goes nuts, etc, but nobody knows besides the people involved with the books and show.  

True but it wasn’t just that...some

went out of their way to talk about him as one of their favorites on set. 

I think it was in those several clips someone posted looking back at each of the main characters before the season started.
Hmmm...maybe he's just an awesome guy in real life and so everyone likes working with him? I bet many of the actors don't even watch the show. I put this in another thread recently but here's a paraphrasing of a Robert Mitchum interview

Osborne: What do you think was your best performance?

Mitchum: I don't know, I'm not the person to ask

Osborne: There isn't a performance of yours that you saw and thought was really great?

Mitchum: I wouldn't know, they didn't pay us to see them

so like didn't Martin layout his "thoughts" on th direction this should go?
yep....you bet ya that the Hodor things happens, battle of the bastards,  the Sept explosion handles the Faith militant, the NK gets a dragon to knock down the wall.....Arya kills the NK ending the long night and Danny goes mad, burns the city, and that Jamie & cersei die together in KL...….Im not sure Clegane bowl happens in the books or was in his outline......

Well, I'm assuming the reviews reflect how most feel in here as well. Right? I know some people enjoyed the episode, but most didn't. 
Good post but I think you got this part flipped.  Most seemed to enjoy it.  I think it’s the vocal minority in that didn’t.  I could be wrong but most everyone in my circles loved it.  Though I don’t hang around a bunch of book dorks though.

Having only started the series this past winter, I was #TeamDany from early on. Just loved the character and what she stood for, and understood the times she used tough love, because there was actual method and reasoning to her madness. I personally do not like where her character ended up, but it's really not shocking. Literally everyone she loved and trusted betrayed her, aside from Missandei (RIP) and Grey Worm, who is currently teetering on the brink of madness himself, IMO. 

What I realized watching this last episode was that Tyrion is my favorite character. Dinklage was just masterful from start to almost-finish in this show, no matter what other characters he was interacting with, and I can't get enough Tyrion scenes. 
Tyrion had always been my favorite character until season 7. He had a brilliant mind and loved his quips. But last season and this he turned into a drunken fool 

Season 3 of the Leftovers is one of the greatest seasons of tv ever.   A total home run. 
Oh, I thought we were talking best hbo shows, not seasons.  If your willing to dismiss Season 1 of Leftovers you should have no problem with this season of GOT.

Some of you people are hard sonsa#####es to impress

Tyrion had always been my favorite character until season 7. He had a brilliant mind and loved his quips. But last season and this he turned into a drunken fool 
Ironically he was much smarter as a drunken fool. Of all the characters his arch has pissed me off the most.  He was a brilliant character up until he became hand now he’s a borderline buffoon.  There are still flashes of his old brilliant self but not nearly enough.

Some of you people are hard sonsa#####es to impress
Oh I was impressed. Hell there was even a hug!! My "complaint" was just that it didn't go how *I* had it drawn up, but I'm perfectly fine with where it went. Just a fan of the show and the characters and although I enjoy the discussion (well, most of it), I try not to get too bogged down in the "should've done this better" stuff, because, for me, that detracts from the entertainment. 

Ironically he was much smarter as a drunken fool. Of all the characters his arch has pissed me off the most.  He was a brilliant character up until he became hand now he’s a borderline buffoon.  There are still flashes of his old brilliant self but not nearly enough.
Probably easier to play the game while you are in KL, and already in power...he was at his best as Hand of the King to Joffery while Tywin had his back... 

Oh I was impressed. Hell there was even a hug!! My "complaint" was just that it didn't go how *I* had it drawn up, but I'm perfectly fine with where it went. Just a fan of the show and the characters and although I enjoy the discussion (well, most of it), I try not to get too bogged down in the "should've done this better" stuff, because, for me, that detracts from the entertainment. 
I meant coming around on Tyrion.  He's the god of #### and wine.  What more did you want?  Welcome to the club.  Grab a chalice and plan to be in your cups by noon.  

yep....you bet ya that the Hodor things happens, battle of the bastards,  the Sept explosion handles the Faith militant, the NK gets a dragon to knock down the wall.....Arya kills the NK ending the long night and Danny goes mad, burns the city, and that Jamie & cersei die together in KL...….Im not sure Clegane bowl happens in the books or was in his outline......
There is no night king.  I doubt that it is anything like the show in the books -- not a kill one guy and it all is over type thing.

That would be the worst ending they could possibly do. 
I don't disagree and don't think it would go down that way but I also think it would be tragic if Drogon is not involved in final outcome.

I get what you are saying but I think the "well the books will do it differently" diatribe has died down some. It's frustrating because reading the series is an investment. It's not like these are 300 page light weekend reading. It took me a couple of years to slog through them. That frustration manifested when the show outpaced the books so all we are left with is basically skimming the last few pages of the series to see how it will end up without the rich, depth the first few seasons provided when the book material was available. I really don't have a big desire to invest in reading the remaining 1,000 page books (plural) that are still to come. I think we all acknowledge the chances of the book series ever being complete are slim so this is the best we have. Kinda like eating steak for years then getting served a McD's hamburger that has been sitting under the heat lamp for 8 hours.

So talking thrones thinks he got legit spoilers and has quit doing videos?  What a bummer.  Following youtube comments to figure out what is going on with that is worse than getting people's lazy takes here.
I've watched a few of his vid's and really, how right has he been about stuff recently? I enjoy his line of thinking and his in depth analysis of stuff but he's kinda Tyrion S7&8.

Thinking about things I feel pretty strongly that Tyrion is going to meet his end via Dany and her dragon. Her last show of power and a final "do not betray me" warning. Not sure how we get from there to her dying, but probably involves Jon killing Grey Worm.

I've watched a few of his vid's and really, how right has he been about stuff recently? I enjoy his line of thinking and his in depth analysis of stuff but he's kinda Tyrion S7&8.
Yeah he's completely whiffed on most of his in-season stuff this year.  It is interesting to hear his detailed breakdowns and how he really laces in the backstory.  

I mean some of his theories are good, but stuff like the magical revive of the dothraki/unsullied really messed him up as far as how he saw the final 2 eps going.  And his read on the motivation of Tyrion/Varys was pretty bad.  Most of the time he's been trying to shoehorn stuff from the books that simply haven't taken place yet in the TV show and use them to connect dots that aren't there.  

I would say he had the best read on Dany going mad and had been screaming that all season so far.  So much so that it wasn't that shocking to me when it went down.

Then maybe I am thinking of this wrong (damn old age if that is case).   I thought in the previous episodes, Cersei let in the people outside the walls of KL into the heart of the city as a barrier the forces of good need to get through, and the Red Keep is the big ### castle that Cersei was in.  It's not like there were civilians in that when it was tumbling down, just a lot more inside the city walls than usual.   MAP HERE   

I took that as Cersei's Troops were shutting main gates that they would have to get through - the dragon was taking those out and the walls around the city when Cercei was watching the battle.  
Cersei shut the gates to the red keep after the dragon started taking out most of the walls around kings landing (where most live and were already).  That forced Jamie to go around, down to the beach (where he met Urion) and up through the secret exit.  Kings Landing's gates were already closed.

Yeah he's completely whiffed on most of his in-season stuff this year.  It is interesting to hear his detailed breakdowns and how he really laces in the backstory.  

I mean some of his theories are good, but stuff like the magical revive of the dothraki/unsullied really messed him up as far as how he saw the final 2 eps going.  And his read on the motivation of Tyrion/Varys was pretty bad.  Most of the time he's been trying to shoehorn stuff from the books that simply haven't taken place yet in the TV show and use them to connect dots that aren't there.  

I would say he had the best read on Dany going mad and had been screaming that all season so far.  So much so that it wasn't that shocking to me when it went down.
I don't really think it should have been shocking to anybody by this point.  That doesn't mean it was well done.  [/lazy]

I think he has whiffed anytime he's going up against his family pretty badly.

Users who are viewing this thread