What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (1 Viewer)

So you're then assuming she killed an innocent girl at The Twins to be able to kill Frey?
I guess I'd have to, but we don't know she was innocent.  Frey said that he didn't recognize her, so maybe the face was one that Arya took from that wall of faces?

Arya killing to get a face, seems out of character - given that she just refused to kill the actress.  If Arya had really turned "dark", then it would seem she would have no problem killing the actress.  I doubt the chase scene, and Arya heading home, changed her ....

Having said that, I have previously said, I don't see Arya's end game here - I think its more likely that she ends up dead by the end of the series.  She has no real future as a Westerosi "assassin".  Maybe she takes the black.

Arya killing to get a face, seems out of character - given that she just refused to kill the actress.  If Arya had really turned "dark", then it would seem she would have no problem killing the actress.  I doubt the chase scene, and Arya heading home, changed her ....

Having said that, I have previously said, I don't see Arya's end game here - I think its more likely that she ends up dead by the end of the series.  She has no real future as a Westerosi "assassin".  Maybe she takes the black.
First female castle black commander seems plausible to me.  Given the series sort of lean that way.

I think she would make a pretty powerful Spy Master for her new king..... If her family somehow gets the throne.  No more little birds doing all the dirty work.... she can do it herself and no one would know.

Arya hasn't killed an innocent. To have her do that would be a pretty significant development. It wouldn't be left open to discussion on whether she did or didn't do it. 

Arya was willing to kill those soldiers who as far as we knew were innocent of doing anything that deserved death. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Arya was willing to kill those soldiers who as far as we knew were innocent if doing anything that deserved death. 
The Ed Sheeran Gang? I think she was prepared to kill them if they attacked her. When they made it clear they posed no threat to her than her defenses lowered. I think there's a big difference between preparing to kill people who may try to hurt you than killing an innocent serving wench because you want her face. Arya's pretty cold-blooded but I don't think she's crossed that line yet. 

I can't keep up with the thread so this has probably been mentioned.  0% chance that sword goes to someone other than Jorah. It's his damn sword really.    
Hadn't thought of that but Jorah returning to Dany's side to fight alongside her and Jon against the White Walkers would be a big way to rejoin the party.

That's assuming Dany and Jon team up for that fight. Feels inevitable that they will. 

The Ed Sheeran Gang? I think she was prepared to kill them if they attacked her. When they made it clear they posed no threat to her than her defenses lowered. I think there's a big difference between preparing to kill people who may try to hurt you than killing an innocent serving wench because you want her face. Arya's pretty cold-blooded but I don't think she's crossed that line yet. 
When she said she was going to kill the queen, she said it knowing that this may cause the group to attack her.  She was perfectly willing to kill all of them....for no reason. She could have said she was going there for any reason and avoided pressing the issue.

They set the scene up specifically to show that she HAD crossed a line. Showing them as a good group who was kind and sharing with strangers, one with a newborn at home.....all of which she was willing to butcher. 

When she said she was going to kill the queen, she said it knowing that this may cause the group to attack her.  She was perfectly willing to kill all of them....for no reason. She could have said she was going there for any reason and avoided pressing the issue.

They set the scene up specifically to show that she HAD crossed a line. Showing them as a good group who was kind and sharing with strangers, one with a newborn at home.....all of which she was willing to butcher. 
They were members of the Lannister army, the same family that directly and indirectly killed her father, mother and brother. That's what Arya saw until they showed her differently. Still not equating that with a serving wench. 

like it...

but wasn't the maester's book about the reign of king robert?
fan theory that what the entire song of ice and fire series is actually a history told by sam.    lots of problems with that theory, but GRRM fueled the fire at some nerdicon by saying that he identifies with Sam.

Why was Ellaria in power at all anyhow?  That part makes no sense to me, either.  Their whole goal is to avenge Oberyn and his family... by killing the rest of his family?  She's also a Sand, so she's a ******* herself.  The Prince, even before mentioned he only tolerates her because Oberyn had chosen her as a partner, but on what grounds does the rest of Dorne listen to her?  Because she killed Doran?
What is power? 

When she killed Doran, she explained that the Dornish were basically backing her because he was not taking action after the deaths of the various Martell's at the hands of the Lannisters. Apparently she had the backing of the "palace guard" (they watched as they killed Doran and his bodyguard) and eluded to how the people were behind her as well. If enough people say you are in charge.... then you are in charge. She just took power. 

Also, it Oberyn made it clear that the Dornish did not see being a ******* as those of the more northern areas of Westeros did. 

Thought about him but then figured I'd be OK if he died a gallant death.

I've always liked Davos. Worked his way up from nothing to be a key adviser for two kings. Always wanting to do the right thing and always sees the bigger picture.

Big fan. 
Davos is my favorite character. Hound #2.

Don't think that matters. Arya was still defending herself against someone who wanted to kill her. I don't see that the same at all as killing someone who had done her or her family no harm.
Faceless man also told her to poison a few people and she was willing to do that.

I mean she is an assassin for Gods sakes. I think you are reading a bit too much into her innocence.
Oh I don't think she's innocent at all. I just don't think she'll kill an innocent person. To this point I think whatever code she now carries has made that very clear. And I think when she saved the Frey girl during that slaughter that was a sign she was willing to kill, but only those she believed were deserving of being killed. 

In regards to Arya, I was came across this online:

"In the show, Jaqen still uses his name, which hints at the fact that a name is "earned". The No One ordeal is a test. By the end when Arya kills and scalps Waif, Jaqen tests her again by saying "So a girl truly has become no one?" Arya passes the test by saying "A girl is Arya Stark from Winterfell." It was at that moment Jaqen smiled quite knowingly and thus Arya had earned her name from the Many-Faced God and became a Faceless Man. The season finale episode only confirms her initiation into the Guild of Assassins by the fact she is still able to use the magic given only to Faceless Men by the Many-Faced God."

Makes sense to me.  She has the ability, she is a Faceless Man. 

They were members of the Lannister army, the same family that directly and indirectly killed her father, mother and brother. That's what Arya saw until they showed her differently. Still not equating that with a serving wench. 
Do we know she didn't kill them?  I think the scene ended with her saying she was going to kill the queen. I recall thinking we'd find out the following week, which of course didn't happen. 

"In the show, Jaqen still uses his name, which hints at the fact that a name is "earned". The No One ordeal is a test. By the end when Arya kills and scalps Waif, Jaqen tests her again by saying "So a girl truly has become no one?" Arya passes the test by saying "A girl is Arya Stark from Winterfell." It was at that moment Jaqen smiled quite knowingly and thus Arya had earned her name from the Many-Faced God and became a Faceless Man. The season finale episode only confirms her initiation into the Guild of Assassins by the fact she is still able to use the magic given only to Faceless Men by the Many-Faced God."

I hope so. I like Arya a lot and hope she makes it to the end. I could see her in the final scene as [insert some Stark here] sits on the throne, she stands off to the side and behind the throne with that dry smile on her face.

There's a general understanding that Sam Tarly is George Martin's alter-ego, and I believe he has more or less confirmed that in interviews.  Anyone thinking Sam's storyline isn't important is not paying attention.
Guess I don't care about George Martin either in this case.  I'm not a fan of Sam I am.

one in the Hobbit so no way they are going to come up with a couple dozen. They had top men...TOP MEN! working day & night on the one they stole from the Hobbit set. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! (how many movie lines can I use to describe this?)
Perhaps there will only be ONE large one in the dungeon but there will be say 6-7 other slightly less powerful ones around.  The large ONE can rule the others.

Faceless Men (presumably) don't kill (with their powers) for the hell of it or lightly. It seemed like they contracted out to do so.  To that, maybe there's an acknowledgement from the Powers that Be of Arya's list (which was shown interest by The Waif back in the day) as some sort of contract. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Arya owes something for the powers granted to her to finish off her list?

At any rate, she can kill. She can switch faces. I don't think that The Faceless Men will be coming after her to stop her from using her powers. I can see though, at the end of the show after her getting her list, Jaquen showing up, telling her "Your contract has been fulfilled....you now owe the Many Faced God", killing her and taking her face (with the great irony and tie in to this week being that she started on this path when she thought there was none of her family left).

Maybe Arya owes something for the powers granted to her to finish off her list?

At any rate, she can kill. She can switch faces. I don't think that The Faceless Men will be coming after her to stop her from using her powers. I can see though, at the end of the show after her getting her list, Jaquen showing up, telling her "Your contract has been fulfilled....you now owe the Many Faced God", killing her and taking her face (with the great irony and tie in to this week being that she started on this path when she thought there was none of her family left).
:(

NewlyRetired said:
yes, I agree it is very unlikely.

What I would do is try and construct a way to not need to rotate the ballistas (since by definition that can not work outside of a 1 in a million type shot).

I would do something like set up a large square.  Each corner of the square would have 250 ballistas pointed at another corner of the square such that all 4 corners were covered by 250 ballistas.  The 250 ballistas at each corner would all be lined up to spread their shots both in height and width fir maximum coverage.     

The hope being that when the Dragon swoops to flame one of the corners of the squares, the corner that is covering it launches all 250 at once.

This only has a chance if the Dragon's don't have much range on their fire breath and have to come relatively close to the ballistas to flame them.

:nerd:
May be unlikely, but they are definitely setting it up for a dragon to be lost to a ballista.  A second dragon will be lost to the walkers.  My thought is that it will be from a giant which will either throw a huge spear or, use a club to swat it out of the sky and then have 1,000 dead pile on it.

so Jon and Davos are on their way to Dragonstone. 

how bent are they gonna be when they find Melisandre hanging out with Dany & Co.? the last time those three were in a room together was, a bit, awkward.

i don't think that will endear Jon & Davos to Dany in the least, presuming that she'll want Jon to do some deep knee bends and her focus will be on dealing with Cierci and Euron instead of the Army of the Dead. 

so Jon and Davos are on their way to Dragonstone. 

how bent are they gonna be when they find Melisandre hanging out with Dany & Co.? the last time those three were in a room together was, a bit, awkward.

i don't think that will endear Jon & Davos to Dany in the least, presuming that she'll want Jon to do some deep knee bends and her focus will be on dealing with Cierci and Euron instead of the Army of the Dead. 
We talking Gray Worm type knee bends with Melisandre?  I wouldn't mind bending the knee for Dany.

In regards to the fairly lame battle scene in episode 2, keep in mind the show does not have an unlimited budget.  They've previously said they had to choose between huge direwolves and the huge giant they used in the Battle of the Bastards for example.  A rather frugal ship battle is fine with me because it probably means they'll blow their wad if/when the dragons fight the White Walkers or Lannisters.    

Interesting take on it, and makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread