What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FYI Sleep is as important as diet and working out (1 Viewer)

My mom has had a lot of health issues lately - a couple that sound pretty serious but the doctor has said she'll be ok (like low fluid around the pituitary gland, a tumor on her brain and mini seizures) - he reiterated to her that probably the best thing she could do for herself is to get good and adequate sleep.  She's been a horrible sleeper my entire life so I'm even more worried about her because I don't think she can do it.  He gave her some sleeping pills but even that hasn't worked in the past.

My mom has had a lot of health issues lately - a couple that sound pretty serious but the doctor has said she'll be ok (like low fluid around the pituitary gland, a tumor on her brain and mini seizures) - he reiterated to her that probably the best thing she could do for herself is to get good and adequate sleep.  She's been a horrible sleeper my entire life so I'm even more worried about her because I don't think she can do it.  He gave her some sleeping pills but even that hasn't worked in the past.
Medicinal marijuana

Medicinal marijuana
That could work.

Some other tricks:

Get sunlight in the morning (or take a Vitamin D pill in the morning).

Other herbs (besides MJ).

Exercise during the day.

Stand on one foot for a few minutes during the day. Then the other foot. (No idea why this works for some people and it seems kind of weird, but it really does work for some people.)

This should go without saying, but don't consume caffeine, especially in the afternoon or evening. Also, amphetamines.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should go without saying, but don't consume caffeine, especially in the afternoon or evening.
Weird think about me is that I can drink all the soda I want before bedtime, but I can't touch black tea after 4PM if I don't want to wake up wired at 2:30AM.

My dad, who was in pretty great shape relatively speaking, had a heart attack at 54. Sucks for me genetically speaking, but I'm banking on the fact that I sleep 7-8 hours a night and he never gets good sleep. I'm hoping that's the difference maker. 

My dad, who was in pretty great shape relatively speaking, had a heart attack at 54. Sucks for me genetically speaking, but I'm banking on the fact that I sleep 7-8 hours a night and he never gets good sleep. I'm hoping that's the difference maker. 
Hoping the best for you, but genetics tends to trump most other things.  In the same boat here.

I'm still scarred by that Brady Bunch episode with itching powder in the sleeping bags. 

I typically get 5 hours a night, sometimes 6.  Once I wake up I find it very hard to get back to sleep so usually after laying there for 20 minutes or so I just get up and start the day.

Lot of studies out there about how TOO MUCH sleep is bad for you and can possibly lead to dementia. 

The key is finding the right amount for you.....probably somewhere between 6 and 8 hours.

I typically get 5 hours a night, sometimes 6.  Once I wake up I find it very hard to get back to sleep so usually after laying there for 20 minutes or so I just get up and start the day.
definitely where i'm currently at, as well.

usually 'internal clock' wakes me around 4:30/:45 range - allowing a ton of 'me' time, as my girls usually don't wake up 'til seven.

I'm right around 6-7 hours a night.  There are exceptions a couple of times a month in either direction.

definitely where i'm currently at, as well.

usually 'internal clock' wakes me around 4:30/:45 range - allowing a ton of 'me' time, as my girls usually don't wake up 'til seven.
we probably get the same amount of sleep except I like to stay up late and hate getting up in the mornings. Weekends I can still sleep in like a teeenager

I'd love to sleep little.  More time to exercise, watch tv, read, bone, work around the house, etc.

To me, 6 - 7 (as Jayrock indicated) feels like the sweet spot.

That could work.

Some other tricks:

Get sunlight in the morning (or take a Vitamin D pill in the morning).

Other herbs (besides MJ).

Exercise during the day.

Stand on one foot for a few minutes during the day. Then the other foot. (No idea why this works for some people and it seems kind of weird, but it really does work for some people.)

This should go without saying, but don't consume caffeine, especially in the afternoon or evening. Also, amphetamines.
@HeatherMills

I'm going to try to go to bed earlier going forward. I think I get headaches when I get less than 7 hours of sleep.

belljr said:
i slept 14 hours last friday into saturday -- was awesome
My wife gets up at 5:30 and she is not easy to sleep with.   It seems I get my most peaceful sleep after she gets out of bed which sucks because it is already morning so I have a very hard time getting up.   I could easily sleep until after 11 after she leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread