What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Future DEs to target (2 Viewers)

Hunter in Minnesota showing a pulse and seems to be gaining playing time of late. Robison's 32, probably getting expensive, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
Hunter in Minnesota showing a pulse and seems to be gaining playing time of late. Robison's 32, probably getting expensive, etc, etc.
As a Viking fan I have been watching him a lot lately. I think he is a great lottery ticket to pick up with Robison getting older. Hunter will be a nice end opposite Griffen in the coming years.

I'm an LSU honk and had some misgivings about him(great athlete, but great player? Sometimes I wondered). I've picked him up everywhere I have room for him after looking at his play the last month or so. Switch seems to maybe be flipping.

JoeSteeler said:
he is a LB at rotoworld/mfl...is there noise that he gets moved to DE?
He wasn't needed so to speak. The trade down gave them all these pics and he's someone they loved. Shortly after drafting him he was to backup both OLB spots and both DE spots and be a weapon of sorts for Lebeau.

He got injured right away this offseason. He returned Monday to being a full-go at practice. He is not in football shape. Next week is not a full week of practice. They only have a 2 or 3 padded practices left until the season. 

I don't see how it's logical to imagine him to convert to OLB in 2-3 padded practices.  There's more.

He played one year of HS football. He didn't start in college til he was a senior. He doesn't have any experience to go off of here and has literally never covered anyone.

The Titans have unusual depth at OLB as Tavai and Mount (3rd string) have both made plays in each game this preseason and been called out by reporters for doing well at practice. The need for Dodd to play OLB is gone. 

DaQuan Jones has improved dramatically BTW

Back to original plan- Dodd is a special pass rusher. After the draft, it was said that only Casey is better than him at rushing the passer. (I don't see it from college stats but...whatever) He was special enough that Lebeau would rest Orakpo or Morgan to get his ability on the field for a play. I wasn't buying this as they are both good rushing OLBs, but regardless it sets the stage for how the Titans feel about him. So he's like in his own world on the depth chart.

As a DE with no experience, he did not overpursue using his speed counter-productively. Greg Cosell praised him for his instincts in the run game. Many others did, but he went on and on about it.

Al Woods has stunk and although Dodd is not a NT and UDFA Antwaun Woods has been stout.... when asked about Al's lack of success Lebeau actually said Dodd's return should help against the run. He's not NT so why did Lebeau say that?

Back to "is there time for him to learn OLB"- During Monday's walk-thru, he was at DE behind Jones. On Tuesday he played "sparingly" at OLB, mostly DE. Subbed for Casey at one point. He isn't even really practicing at OLB and there was only little time to do so.

If they are still going with him as an OLB then they aren't showing that.

He wasn't needed so to speak. The trade down gave them all these pics and he's someone they loved. Shortly after drafting him he was to backup both OLB spots and both DE spots and be a weapon of sorts for Lebeau.

He got injured right away this offseason. He returned Monday to being a full-go at practice. He is not in football shape. Next week is not a full week of practice. They only have a 2 or 3 padded practices left until the season. 

I don't see how it's logical to imagine him to convert to OLB in 2-3 padded practices.  There's more.

He played one year of HS football. He didn't start in college til he was a senior. He doesn't have any experience to go off of here and has literally never covered anyone.

The Titans have unusual depth at OLB as Tavai and Mount (3rd string) have both made plays in each game this preseason and been called out by reporters for doing well at practice. The need for Dodd to play OLB is gone. 

Back to original plan- Dodd is a special pass rusher. After the draft, it was said that only Casey is better than him at rushing the passer. (I don't see it from college stats but...whatever) He was special enough that Lebeau would rest Orakpo or Morgan to get his ability on the field for a play. I wasn't buying this as they are both good rushing OLBs, but regardless it sets the stage for how the Titans feel about him. So he's like in his own world on the depth chart.

As a DE with no experience, he did not overpursue using his speed counter-productively. Greg Cosell praised him for his instincts in the run game. Many others did, but he went on and on about it.

Al Woods has stunk and although Dodd is not a NT and UDFA Antwaun Woods has been stout.... when asked about Al's lack of success Lebeau actually said Dodd's return should help against the run. He's not NT so why did Lebeau say that?

Back to "is there time for him to learn OLB"- During Monday's walk-thru, he was at DE behind Jones. On Tuesday he played "sparingly" at OLB, mostly DE. Subbed for Casey at one point. He isn't even really practicing at OLB and there was only little time to do so.

great insight...thank you!

I think you're missing the Roto mentality though.  It's not about his skillset, it's about the scheme they run.  Roto lists all 3-4 edge guys at OLB.  Justin Houston, Khalil Mack (until last update, when they apparently re-classified Oakland as a 4-3 team), Von Miller.  It doesn't matter if they have their hands in the dirt a lot, if Roto deems the team to be a 3-4 team, they list those guys at OLB. 

I think you're missing the Roto mentality though.  It's not about his skillset, it's about the scheme they run.  Roto lists all 3-4 edge guys at OLB.  Justin Houston, Khalil Mack (until last update, when they apparently re-classified Oakland as a 4-3 team), Von Miller.  It doesn't matter if they have their hands in the dirt a lot, if Roto deems the team to be a 3-4 team, they list those guys at OLB. 

That's because they are playing a 3-4, not a 5-2.  If the outside guys have legimately mixed duties, regardless whether they do put knuckles in the dirt as a part, but not the predominant part of their duties, then they are a LB.  Do they also drop in coverage? Do they read and scrape on running plays? Do they run vertical stunts with DLs?  Those are all LB duties. 

Not really disagreeing with me, you just wanted to make a point.

Mine can simply be re-iterated as he's never played OLB and has a few practices to learn it and play at the highest level

That's because they are playing a 3-4, not a 5-2.  If the outside guys have legimately mixed duties, regardless whether they do put knuckles in the dirt as a part, but not the predominant part of their duties, then they are a LB.  Do they also drop in coverage? Do they read and scrape on running plays? Do they run vertical stunts with DLs?  Those are all LB duties. 
Not sure why you find this necessary.  I never said they didn't perform those duties occasionally.  But they are pretty arbitrary with how they rule some of these teams.  Oakland hasn't changed their scheme but all of a sudden all of their players are changed to 4-3 designations after two years of 3-4 designations.  For some reason they see Buffalo as a 3-4 team so Dodd is likely to stay at LB.

Matt Judon, BAL DE (rookie) - He may be redesigned to a LB, but the kid has been a monster all pre-season.  Get him now while he is cheap.

ANything to see with Trey Flowers?  Has been putting up solid numbers through 3 preseason games
I think he's had a significant chunk of his production against 2nd/3rd stringers and it's pretty clear Sheard is the guy that will be best positioned to rack up numbers.  The future return of ninkovich clouds things even more.  My approach is to closely monitor him the first two weeks.  If he produces there (or Sheard doesn't return as planned), then I'll be jumping on him.  

ANything to see with Trey Flowers?  Has been putting up solid numbers through 3 preseason games
He's absolutely a good stash player (GREAT taxi sqaud player for this season) for next year with Long, Sheard, and Nink ALL in their final contract year. Definitely add him if you have room for a speculative/potential type player and DE is need. Nink is hurt and will miss the early season. Long has good press but BB has no qualms playing a young player on the upswing and Flowers' press has been very good in all aspects of the game. Long was even quoted as being impressed with the kid's work ethic and versatility. The pats also ran 3 DE lines last season as part of their sub package so, even if Sheard and Long remain the true starters, Flowers looks like the right fit to man that package. Sub-package is a misnomer, since they're in it more often than not. 

Matt Judon, BAL DE (rookie) - He may be redesigned to a LB, but the kid has been a monster all pre-season.  Get him now while he is cheap.
Watching the game tonight vs. the Saints, Judon appears to be an OLB, although he was lined up as a DE in a 4-3 look on one play.

Ron Blair DE San Fran. 

He's getting moved around a lot but the chatter is very encouraging. Could be a value as he gets snaps all over DE, DT, LB...

Just an FYI followup to Dodd. He has only a couple padded practices under his belt and 13 snaps of experience now at OLB. David Bass played surprisingly well last year and yesterday in Derrick Morgan's place. Today Mularkey said Dodd will be replacing Morgan.

They played almost exclusively in a 5-3 set yesterday so DE/OLB is debatable. 

He also said Casey will get less snaps to keep him fresh. 

I'm not "buying" Dodd over Bass as he said it. Not as a wholesale sub. I do think the Casey less snaps, Dodd in for Morgan is a sort of round about summary of "we're going to play Dodd more."

Users who are viewing this thread