What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Funniest thing on ESPN ever? (1 Viewer)

Robin Roberts had the best Primetime quote I've seen, though it was a while ago.

Dolphins QB Marino scrambles, runs out of bounds and nearly breaks both legs falling over/crashing into the player's bench.

As he is in mid air, crashing into the bench she suddenly blurts out mid sentence "White men can't jump!".

You could hear the entire studio go nuts.  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Man In The Box said:
Jim Rome/ Jim Everett

/thread
I've wondered a long time whether or not Jim Rome's radio show goes national without this hitting the airwaves. I guess he was in multiple markets by this time (1993? Didn't look it up) ... but by 2000 he was in places like Jackson, MS.

I remember a few years back when I still watched SC, they were doing the live morning shows.  One hour, they showed a tennis match highlight and they showed an ace on a serve.  To which the anchor (who I did not recognize) said, "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic?"   :lol:

The next hour, when I was hoping to catch him saying it again, during the same clip, the guy said, "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to...."  Then he stopped and the other anchor said, "Easy.  You know what happened last hour when you said that."  Then they both kind of laughed.  But I assume he must have got a talking to about that line.  Regardless, that line was one of the best lines I had heard outside of the golden age of one-liner highlight shows.

I've wondered a long time whether or not Jim Rome's radio show goes national without this hitting the airwaves. I guess he was in multiple markets by this time (1993? Didn't look it up) ... but by 2000 he was in places like Jackson, MS.
Rumor has it that the whole thing was staged as a publicity stunt. 

I remember a few years back when I still watched SC, they were doing the live morning shows.  One hour, they showed a tennis match highlight and they showed an ace on a serve.  To which the anchor (who I did not recognize) said, "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic?"   :lol:

The next hour, when I was hoping to catch him saying it again, during the same clip, the guy said, "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to...."  Then he stopped and the other anchor said, "Easy.  You know what happened last hour when you said that."  Then they both kind of laughed.  But I assume he must have got a talking to about that line.  Regardless, that line was one of the best lines I had heard outside of the golden age of one-liner highlight shows.
wat

wat
https://media2.giphy.com/media/97Be1YUAHQD3q/giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember they had Kenny Mayne doing the Mayne Event "Live from the 2008 Summer Olympics in China". Except he was in Los Angeles and all the sights and signs were in English. He interviewed a bunch of Asian people about the Olympic Games (who all spoke perfect English) pretending that they all were in Beijing. He asked them what they thought about being surrounded by all the athletes and the media, which events they attended, how difficult was it to get tickets, which country had the nicest uniforms, etc. It was hilarious. Unfortunately, I don't see any videos of those segments online anywhere.

Rumor has it that the whole thing was staged as a publicity stunt. 
All the better. It didn't have to be organic to create what was then considered "buzz". I just watched video of that for the first time in forever ... Jim Everett ain't much of an actor. I kinda remembered it as almost a fist fight. Instead Everett giddily knocked over a coffee table and lumbered toward Rome at a positively friendly and jokey pace. Meanwhile, at no point whatsoever does Rome express any kind of concern about his physical well-being -- say, by seriously scurrying out of the frame.

(After looking it up ... the "Chris" Everett episode of Talk2 was aired April 6, 1994. My memory wasn't too bad there :D  )

All the better. It didn't have to be organic to create what was then considered "buzz". I just watched video of that for the first time in forever ... Jim Everett ain't much of an actor. I kinda remembered it as almost a fist fight. Instead Everett giddily knocked over a coffee table and lumbered toward Rome at a positively friendly and jokey pace. Meanwhile, at no point whatsoever does Rome express any kind of concern about his physical well-being -- say, by seriously scurrying out of the frame.

(After looking it up ... the "Chris" Everett episode of Talk2 was aired April 6, 1994. My memory wasn't too bad there :D  )
I remember watching it live.  I'm still not sure if staged or not.  Definitely knew it was not going end well given how much he called him "Chris" before that.  I think Jim Everett was never going to pummel to the point where he might have faced an assault charge.

One random personal memory of that... In class the next morning, I was sitting behind the person now known as "La La Anthony" (Carmelo Anthony's wife) -- I frequently talked about sports with her -- and I remember telling her about the Rome/Everett fight.  

Users who are viewing this thread