What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fourth-and-1 (1 Viewer)

Dickie Dunn

Footballguy
Since the Brady sneak last week is one of the things that is causing so much angst, I decided to take a look at what the Patriots did in fourth-down situations this season:

Interestingly, they have faced fourth-and-1 on eight different occasions this season. They punted once, from their 37-yard-line. The other seven times, all inside the opponents' 30, they not only went for it every time, but converted all seven attempts ON THE GROUND.

The following aren't exactly earth-shattering:

-- They have yet to go for it on fourth down on their side of the 50 (15 punts).

-- Their other three punts all came between the opponents' 40 and 50, and none were better than fourth-and-4.

-- In the 16 other instances, they kicked for the FG 11 times; they are 1-for-5 on the other attempts, which includes a botched FG snap against the Jets. They passed it on three of the other four (4th-7 from the 29 vs. BUF, TO on downs; 4th-G from the 4 vs. CLE, inc. pass; 4th-2 from 37 vs. WAS, Cassel completion). Their only rush was late in the game against BUF, which was stopped.

Again, not earth-shattering stuff. But I think it gives credence to the idea that Belichick was simply doing what he has done all year -- don't punt inside the 40 (right Easterbrook?); run on 4th-and-1, otherwise pass; no FGs outside of 45 yds., etc.

The argument for running up the score isn't that they went for it on fourth down. The problem is what they did once they converted; namely, lining up in shotgun and throwing while up 38 points in the fourth quarter.

The argument for running up the score isn't that they went for it on fourth down. The problem is what they did once they converted; namely, lining up in shotgun and throwing while up 38 points in the fourth quarter.
That's not quite true. A big part of the argument was that a.) they went for it instead of kicking the FG; and b.) they ran a sneak with Brady.Just pointing out that, in every similar situation this season, they converted with a running play.For the record, Brady's sneak was his second in that situation. Morris ran it three times (but he was not available Sunday), while Evans and Eckel have the other two.

But there was 11:02 left in the game... It's a similar situation vs. Cleveland in that if they make it, they can run more time off the clock and if they get stopped, they leave a long field.

Is it better for the Pats to FG it and leave 11:00 left in the game up 41-0 for the Redskins or what happened, namely scoring with 9:09 left in the game and now up 45-0? They killed almost 2 minutes after the 4th down conversion up to the TD.

But there was 11:02 left in the game... It's a similar situation vs. Cleveland in that if they make it, they can run more time off the clock and if they get stopped, they leave a long field.

Is it better for the Pats to FG it and leave 11:00 left in the game up 41-0 for the Redskins or what happened, namely scoring with 9:09 left in the game and now up 45-0? They killed almost 2 minutes after the 4th down conversion up to the TD.
Well, they couldn't have run any more clock against Cleveland, because it was fourth-and-goal. In that case, it was "go up three scores" vs. "long field."But your point still is valid ... unless you believe that the only way a team is allowed to "grind clock" is 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

that beating was bad enough, but I think w/all this tender sympathy washington has now officially had their balls cut off.

I think I might send them some flowers to pick up their spirits.

I've noticed that while the first several "running up the score" threads were started by critics of NE (like myself-I think I get credit for the first one, it was called "Disgusted" and lasted all of fifteen minutes before it closed), the last several have been started by NE defenders still trying to win the argument.

At this point, nobody's going to change their mind on this. Let's move on.

Users who are viewing this thread