What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ForThose Who Appreciate Great Guitar Music (1 Viewer)

I'm kidding. Nice instrumentals. Perfect for sitting at the bar with as stiff drink thinking about all the mistakes you've made in life and how to fix them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of dig  it. Has kind of an Eric Johnson vibe to it. Does he sing, or is it all instrumental? 

It's not dreck it's just overproduced and too clean sounding. It should be grittier.
Overproduced is a term I often find myself using with regards to music, but I don't hear that with Timmons. I think it's produced perfectly. Whether it's too clean, or should be grittier is a matter of personal taste, but I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I think he has the best tone of any current instrumental guutarist. (Move over Eric Johnson)

Overproduced is a term I often find myself using with regards to music, but I don't hear that with Timmons. I think it's produced perfectly. Whether it's too clean, or should be grittier is a matter of personal taste, but I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I think he has the best tone of any current instrumental guutarist. (Move over Eric Johnson)
I once saw Buddy Guy so thoroughly smoke Eric Johnson on stage that Eric ripped the plug out of his guitar and walked without a word. Apparently Buddy was upset Eric had higher billing at the festival. It was a thing to behold. 

I once saw Buddy Guy so thoroughly smoke Eric Johnson on stage that Eric ripped the plug out of his guitar and walked without a word. Apparently Buddy was upset Eric had higher billing at the festival. It was a thing to behold. 
At the awesome "Experience Hendrix" tour last year, EJ blew the audience away. He and KWS were the highlights. KWS is fantastic live, so much better than studio albums. But that goes for pretty much all blues guitarists. Buddy Guy was entertaining and humorous, but his playing was very sloppy and erratic, not in the same realm as EJ or KWS. BG came across as the legendary old guy who can still kinda play. Zakk Wylde was ridiculous in both good and bad ways.

That said, live blues is all about passion and feeling. On a given night, I could see Buddy Guy being "on", really digging in and wowing the crowd while a guy like EJ just wasn't feeling it on the same night. Not to mention EJ would likely let BG "win" simply out of respect. Imo, generally speaking, EJ is a far superior guitar player, but Buddy Guy is a better live "entertainer." If I want to be dazzled by a guitar player I'll go see EJ. If I want to kick back, have a few brews and be entertained with friends I'll take 'em to a Buddy Guy show.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not rock, it's not supposed to be gritty
Yeah, I'm not sure I get the "it should be grittier" idea. More distorted? Sloppier?Timmons tone is phenomenal. I actually think he nails a perfect balance of clean and overdriven tones.  

I kind of dig  it. Has kind of an Eric Johnson vibe to it. Does he sing, or is it all instrumental? 
Yes, cery much in the same ballpark as EJ. Both have impeccable  taste and tone. Timmons does have some vocal stuff but I avoid it. 

Meh. I heard this 25 years ago.
You could say the same about virtually any modern music. Obviously there have been countless great instrumental guitar players long before Timmons. Look at my user name. I don't necessarily consider Timmons to be groundbreaking, but he's an exceptional guitar player. I don't think a guy who recently  recorded an all instrumental guitar version of the Sgt. Pepper album has any problem acknowledging the great musicians that came before him.

I've listened to instrumental guitar for over 30 years and I find Timmons sound, style, and tone to be unique, distinctive, and fresh. He strikes a perfect balance of technical proficiency and soul, focusing on melody, tone, and crafting great songs rather than overplaying just for the sake of it. To dismiss his playing as "meh" tells me you're simply not a fan of instrumental guitar music.

At the awesome "Experience Hendrix" tour last year, EJ blew the audience away. He and KWS were the highlights. KWS is fantastic live, so much better than studio albums. But that goes for pretty much all blues guitarists. Buddy Guy was entertaining and humorous, but his playing was very sloppy and erratic, not in the same realm as EJ or KWS. BG came across as the legendary old guy who can still kinda play. Zakk Wylde was ridiculous in both good and bad ways.

That said, live blues is all about passion and feeling. On a given night, I could see Buddy Guy being "on", really digging in and wowing the crowd while a guy like EJ just wasn't feeling it on the same night. Not to mention EJ would likely let BG "win" simply out of respect. Imo, generally speaking, EJ is a far superior guitar player, but Buddy Guy is a better live "entertainer." If I want to be dazzled by a guitar player I'll go see EJ. If I want to kick back, have a few brews and be entertained with friends I'll take 'em to a Buddy Guy show.
Been listening to a lot of live KWS lately... Dude is so good.

Been listening to a lot of live KWS lately... Dude is so good.
He is. Has a new album currently being released track by track, due out in August I believe. He's another tone monster. Looking forward to seeing him headline a local blues festival this fall.

Yeah this was approx 1990. BG was still going strong at that time. Saw him a couple years ago and it was pretty much as you describe. 

Saw Ian Moore Thursday night.  Hadn't seen him in about 20 years and forgot how good he was.  Really blew me away.

To dismiss his playing as "meh" tells me you're simply not a fan of instrumental guitar music.
And you'd be wrong. Have you ever listed to Booker T. and the MG's? Now that's good instrumental music.

Timmons guy can obviously play guitar. Nobody is questioning that. My "meh" is simply stating that we have heard this 5x over in the past 25-50 years... Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, KWS, and on and on. It's not new. It's not inventive. It's good, sure. But meh. Give me something I haven't heard before, and I'll give it a listen.

And you'd be wrong. Have you ever listed to Booker T. and the MG's? Now that's good instrumental music.

Timmons guy can obviously play guitar. Nobody is questioning that. My "meh" is simply stating that we have heard this 5x over in the past 25-50 years... Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, KWS, and on and on. It's not new. It's not inventive. It's good, sure. But meh. Give me something I haven't heard before, and I'll give it a listen.
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but the way you arrive at it strikes me as odd. Using your logic, the only singer you could possibly like is the first person who ever sang, because everyone after that was just doing something that had already been done. How "inventive" can someone be when singing? I suppose you may have finally been wowed by the first person to use auto tune.

What makes singers unique as opposed to simply repeating something that's already been done is their individual sound, style, tone, phrasing, etc. The same applies to instrumental guitar players. Timmons has his own sound, style, tone, phrasing and a way of crafting his music that stands out to me after having listened to every piece of instrumental guitar I could get my hands on over the past 30+ years.

I don't know, I guess I hear something unique in Timmons sound that you don't, which is cool. If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. 

Users who are viewing this thread