What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forte wants a new deal (1 Viewer)

Truman

Footballguy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspaper/sports/ct-spt-0724-bears-matt-forte-chicago-20110724,0,2241704.story

"Any time a player has been producing very well,'' Forte said, "they're going to come back and say, 'Hey, throw me a bone here.' "

But he isn't paid like a top dog yet. And if he's not during training camp, it might become an issue.

One could argue the fourth-year pro from Tulane is the most underpaid back in the league. Forte, who is due a base salary of $550,000 in the final year of his rookie contract, isn't even the highest-paid running back on the team. Backup Chester Taylor is scheduled to make $1.25 million after pulling in $7 million last season while averaging 2.4 yards per carry. Forte finished at 4.5.

Forte had wanted to sign an extension before the start of practice in Bourbonnais, tentatively scheduled for later this week.

"I think we're going about it the right way,'' he said. "My agent, Adisa Bakari, talked to (general manager) Jerry Angelo and Cliff Stein last season, just letting them know that we've been producing.

"And now that it's close to training camp, we don't have much time to negotiate.''

Forte's message was subtle and clear. But with 14 players set to hit the open market once the new collective bargaining agreement is approved, the Bears have a full plate of transactions on their table. They are projected to be $37 million below the newly proposed $120 million salary cap.

Forte might nudge the Bears a bit without becoming a distraction.

"It never benefits anybody — a player or organization — to hold out or miss practices,'' Forte said. "That's obviously something I wouldn't want to do.''

Bakari imagines the Bears are on the same page.

"We hope the Bears recognize the performance Matt has given to date and that they value that performance,'' the agent said.

forte, who is in the final year of his contract, wants an extension. he does not want his existing contract torn up or renegotiated. the difference between the two situations is pretty glaring, imo.

He deserves the deal and will get it. He has said he wont hold out, the extension will likely get done before the season starts

forte, who is in the final year of his contract, wants an extension. he does not want his existing contract torn up or renegotiated. the difference between the two situations is pretty glaring, imo.
Agreed. That is the "right way" to do things. Hopefully he gets his due raise via extension, but this is a wonderful way for teams under the cap (such as the Bears), to both bring in talent and reward their own. A smart GM in this situation of being so far under the cap, will set aside some money specifically to reward performing core players (whether their contract is up or not).

What was the second situation?
The second situation is the one you were implying by your title, that he has multiple years left on a decent deal and wants a new deal because another star just got paid more than he did. Your sub-title is misleading and makes it seem like he is starting trouble. Is Forte not supposed to start discussions on an extension when he is starting the final year of his rookie contract in which he is way underpaid?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspaper/sports/ct-spt-0724-bears-matt-forte-chicago-20110724,0,2241704.story

"Any time a player has been producing very well,'' Forte said, "they're going to come back and say, 'Hey, throw me a bone here.' "

But he isn't paid like a top dog yet. And if he's not during training camp, it might become an issue.

One could argue the fourth-year pro from Tulane is the most underpaid back in the league. Forte, who is due a base salary of $550,000 in the final year of his rookie contract, isn't even the highest-paid running back on the team. Backup Chester Taylor is scheduled to make $1.25 million after pulling in $7 million last season while averaging 2.4 yards per carry. Forte finished at 4.5.

Forte had wanted to sign an extension before the start of practice in Bourbonnais, tentatively scheduled for later this week.

"I think we're going about it the right way,'' he said. "My agent, Adisa Bakari, talked to (general manager) Jerry Angelo and Cliff Stein last season, just letting them know that we've been producing.

"And now that it's close to training camp, we don't have much time to negotiate.''

Forte's message was subtle and clear. But with 14 players set to hit the open market once the new collective bargaining agreement is approved, the Bears have a full plate of transactions on their table. They are projected to be $37 million below the newly proposed $120 million salary cap.

"It never benefits anybody — a player or organization — to hold out or miss practices,'' Forte said. "That's obviously something I wouldn't want to do.''

Bakari imagines the Bears are on the same page.

"We hope the Bears recognize the performance Matt has given to date and that they value that performance,'' the agent said.
I think I've found his problem.

'stbugs said:
'Truman said:
The second situation is the one you were implying by your title, that he has multiple years left on a decent deal and wants a new deal because another star just got paid more than he did. Your sub-title is misleading and makes it seem like he is starting trouble. Is Forte not supposed to start discussions on an extension when he is starting the final year of his rookie contract in which he is way underpaid?
He can do whatever he likes, it seems he will be considering holding out if he doesn't get a new deal though. I'm not sure where the implication is that he has multiple years left, he doesn't want to play out his current contract and says as much in the interview.

He can do whatever he likes, it seems he will be considering holding out if he doesn't get a new deal though. I'm not sure where the implication is that he has multiple years left, he doesn't want to play out his current contract and says as much in the interview.
I don't get that impression at all. In fact, the article and Forte say as much:

'stbugs said:
'Truman said:
You asked what the second situation mentioned above was and I think the multiple years situation (not Forte's, but in general) is what other poster meant. Most people above aren't thinking that it seems he will consider holding out. I think most people above agree that he is taking the normal course of action to get an extension in his final year of his rookie contract.
That statement sure doesn't sound the way you think it sounds or the way your sub-title implies. I read the article as saying that the lockout took a while and there isn't a whole lot of time to negotiate a new deal.In a normal off season, I would bet this extension would have already happened.Do you think he shouldn't push for a new deal? What if he gets hurt during training camp? Do you think that he should play for $550k when Taylor made $7M last year without having any security? Forte didn't get a big rookie contract, so IMHO, I think he is smart to holdout even if he says he won't do it. The Bears are so far below the cap that if Forte isn't signed to an extension, I (without seeing the future facts) would squarely put the blame onto the Bears. I see no reason for them not to get this done quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread