What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former Card, Pat Tillman dies in Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

A great tragedy. This brings home the sacrifice being made for all Americans by our troops. Today I'll say a prayer for Tillman and all our servicepeople, living and dead.

RIP Pat. I was a fan at ASU, and still kept an eye on him as a Cardinal.We are not worthy.Hey Zonies, a caller on the radio already has suggested that Bidwell name the new stadium after him. Think he'll have the stones?

Yet another reason to stay and finish the job.Pat Tillman gave up millions to fight, and die, for what he believed in. I don't think he would have liked the idea of pulling out because he was killed, kind of seems contrary to everything he stood for.Can't give enough credit to him and the rest of our armed services personnel for the sacrifices they make to protect our freedoms, and the freedom of others.RIP
There truly are no words....But I agree. As a father with a son in harm's way, I would not want us to get out without finishing the mission. Even if it means I lose my son. Otherwise I would feel that my son's sacrifice would have been in vain (if he died, that is). To leave now would truly waste the lives of those we have lost and only give more comfort to those who would wish to destroy us.Pat, I think, understood why we had to fight. To pull out would be a dishonor to his memory.

RIP Pat. I was a fan at ASU, and still kept an eye on him as a Cardinal.We are not worthy.Hey Zonies, a caller on the radio already has suggested that Bidwell name the new stadium after him. Think he'll have the stones?
No, I wouldn't expect him to lose out on a naming rights payday. However, I think the Cardinals should do something like start a scholarship in his name at ASU?(And if Bidwill doesn't do that, I think Mr. Tagliabue should be twisting his arm to do so.)

I'd like to keep this thread higher then the "controversy" thread. I don't think it's fair to argue and bicker over someone who gave his life in service of his country.I just wanted to say this.When Tillman made the decision to do what he did. I was impressed. I knew, absolutely, that this was a better man then I. Given an option to take 4million dollars or serve my country after the 9/11 tragedy... I could not with any honesty say that I would have chosen the more honorable path.In a world where everyone (including myself) takes the easy path, he chose the more difficult.Every serviceman and woman defending my country should be honored and respected, and Tillman cannot be considered above and beyond any of them.But.He has commanded my respect and honor above and beyond most. Pat Tillman was and still is an inspiration to us all. I only hope that his memory and his spirit can inspire us to be better people, to do greater things.I can honestly say that his story, his decision and sadly, his death has made me look inside myself and aspire to be a better man and for that I am thankful beyond what words can explain.My prayers go out to those he has left behind.

No, I wouldn't expect him to lose out on a naming rights payday. However, I think the Cardinals should do something like start a scholarship in his name at ASU?(And if Bidwill doesn't do that, I think Mr. Tagliabue should be twisting his arm to do so.)
The story of Pat Tillman is that there ARE things more important than a "payday".I would guess that ASU does a scholarship on its own. Naming the stadium (or at the very least, the field) would be most appropriate as far as the Cardinals are concerned. Then when someone holds out during training camp, they can point to the name and say "you see that name? get your butt on the field and quit crying!".The pirahna are already circling on eBay. Two Tillman items have gone from $4 to well over $100 in just 20mins. :rolleyes: :no:

What a sad loss of a true Hero! We are all in his debt.The NFL should honor the contract he left behind and pay the $3.6M to his family. That would be a classy move!

If there's any jersey that I'd like to buy, it would be a Tillman jersey. I hope the NFL still makes them.
i was thinking the same thing as i was strolling down. let kick those terrorists arshes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every serviceman and woman defending my country should be honored and respected, and Tillman cannot be considered above and beyond any of them.
I don't want to argue either, but Tillman does deserve an extra-special set of angel wings, as compared to his fellow fallen soldiers. They all equally sacrificed in giving their lives for their country, but Tillman sacrificed a great deal more than the rest ever dreamed of to be placed into that position. I would imagine that many of our soldiers signed up for the perks (free college, training, etc), rolling the dice that they'd never have to go into combat. Tillman signed up, having given up millions of dollars and a cushy life, to put himself in harm's way.All of our fallen heroes deserve a place upon a pedestal, but Tillman (and those firemen and policemen who ran *INTO* the WTC) deserve to be hoisted upon their shoulders, just a wee bit higher on that pedestal. IMHOGB all of them.

I don't really want to piss anyone off but he gave up a multi miliionn dollar contract to go join the army and fight the war in Iraq?? I don't really see him as a hero I mean if he wanted to be a hero he could have given that money up to help people right here at home. He may have had charities and I'm not saying he didn't but we have millions of homeless unemployed people right here he could have donated his contract to helping right here at home :( Anyway may God bless mhim and his family Rip

What a sad loss of a true Hero! We are all in his debt.The NFL should honor the contract he left behind and pay the $3.6M to his family. That would be a classy move!
tragically, I disagree then EVERY deserving family should that 3 mil...BUT i think there should be a spot on your taxes that lets you contribute to a fund for families of fallen hero's (armed and public services) 20 to 100 bucks a year from everyone would make a difference to those who have more than earned it

What a guy! I don't know what kind of company he is in, but I tip my hat to him. I have never heard of anyone to voluntarily give up soooo much to serve his country. A true scholar and tremendous human being. Maybe not even a one in a million type of guy,, more likely,, a one in a Billion type of guy… My prayers go out to him and his family.

I think that is a great idea.Sad day indeed.RIP Mr. Tillman and thank you for your courage to defend us.

Can all you jagoffs please stop debating whether his service was more or less important to the country in this thread, seriously? I mean, whatever your opinion is, it's not as important as the sentiments in this thread, and if you want to debate whatever your pointless debate is, take it to pointless debate central in the FFA. No disrespect to you guys, but lets not disrespect Mr. Tillman.As for our fallen hero, God Bless him and his family, and it's sad to see we lost a man's man. He's made of from head to toe what I only hope to have a scrap of in myself, and I couldn't be more saddened by this. There is no honor suitable enough for the NFL and the Cardinals to place upon him, but I do think the stadium naming is a good start.

Can all you jagoffs please stop debating whether his service was more or less important to the country in this thread, seriously? I mean, whatever your opinion is, it's not as important as the sentiments in this thread, and if you want to debate whatever your pointless debate is, take it to pointless debate central in the FFA. No disrespect to you guys, but lets not disrespect Mr. Tillman.As for our fallen hero, God Bless him and his family, and it's sad to see we lost a man's man. He's made of from head to toe what I only hope to have a scrap of in myself, and I couldn't be more saddened by this. There is no honor suitable enough for the NFL and the Cardinals to place upon him, but I do think the stadium naming is a good start.
Hey NJ/NY,I have to agree, let's keep the debate over whether Tillman made a bigger sacrifice than his fellow soldiers to another thread, that's not really the point here. No matter how you slice it, any soldier who gives his life for his country has made a HUGE sacrifice in order to protect our way of life, so let's respect the fallen, all of them. :thumbup:

shut up, seriously. you're officially a tool. that statement is so bluntly stupid it's not even worth my time explaining why. i never want to see you post anything here again. tool.
Hey Fighting whitie why are you calling me names for sharing an opinion?? I'm sorry I offended you it was something i just needed to get off my chest I think Tiilman was very brave but i don't agree he was hero, my best friend has served in Iraq and is about to go back and Talking to him his decision to joing the army was the worst thing he ever did!! He just prays he makes it home in 1 piece. Please forgive me for my thoughts but I was just sharing my honest thoughts

Well said...an example to guys that claim to be a "soldier" and in a "war" on the football field or other sporting events...an example of what it means to live, fight, and die for something greater than yourself...a testament to the honor, attitude, and priciples this country was founded on...I thank God for men and women like Tillman...for all who give up their time, future, and life regardless of its apparent "worth" to others...it is still theirs...and they still give it for us all.

If there's any jersey that I'd like to buy, it would be a Tillman jersey. I hope the NFL still makes them.
:thumbup: Unfortunately, profits would go to the NFL and Starter, and people will look on this as a profit motive, rather than a fitting tribute of a selfless man whom, like every soldier that signs up, sacrifices other livelihoods -- and often their lives -- to preserve freedom for the rest of us.I would hope that on opening day in Arizona (indeed, all over the NFL), every fan was wearing a Tillman jersey, with all profits going to a recognized charity for families who lost loved ones in Afghanistan and Iraq. Horribly tragic, -- Tillman was someone special for foregoing the NFL for a cause he believed in and wanted to fight for. Bless him, his family, and the rest of the military who are still out there fighting for that cause.

I am not a Cards fan but this guy is now my HERO. I am blown away by his dedication to this country and I can seriously say that I have never met anyone with that kind of unselfishness.I am a fan of his forever.GB Pat Tillman and his family.

Hey guys,There's no problem with a thread like this in the Shark Pool. Don't bother reporting it. A sad day for the Tillman family and Cardinal family as well.Just a request: If you wish to express your sympathies, no problem. If you wish to debate or share opinions contrary to the majority, do it in the Free For All, but keep it civil and avoid getting personal. Situations like this tend to evoke strong emotions and replies that aren't always clearly thought out.Thanks.

This was the first thing I heard when I woke up this morning. What a sad day. Pat Tillman represents everything that's good and selfless and noble -- what we should all strive to be as Americans. But Pat wouldn't have wanted us to feel that his sacrifice was unique. Whether you feel our current actions in the Middle East are right or wrong, we must not forget that each and every soldier that stands in harm's way to protect our freedom to agree and disagree is another Pat Tillman. Only when we begin to feel the same way about every soldier who offers to give his or her life, with the same emotions we are now feeling about Pat Tillman, will we truly understand and honor the sacrifices that have been made by all.RIP Pat Tillman and all of the other American soldiers who have given their lives -- and a thank you and God bless to all of the others who continue to risk their lives for us every day.

Pat Tillman was a true man and hero at a time when both are desperately in need. I was logging into ESPN to read about the latest in the Eli Manning charade when I was stunned by this story. Certainly puts sports into perspective. Maybe it was just me but I was taken with the contrast of Eli Manning stating that he won't play for the Chargers vs. the honor of Pat Tillman turning down millions to sacrifice his life for each of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to keep this thread higher then the "controversy" thread. I don't think it's fair to argue and bicker over someone who gave his life in service of his country.I just wanted to say this.When Tillman made the decision to do what he did. I was impressed. I knew, absolutely, that this was a better man then I. Given an option to take 4million dollars or serve my country after the 9/11 tragedy... I could not with any honesty say that I would have chosen the more honorable path.In a world where everyone (including myself) takes the easy path, he chose the more difficult.Every serviceman and woman defending my country should be honored and respected, and Tillman cannot be considered above and beyond any of them.But.He has commanded my respect and honor above and beyond most. Pat Tillman was and still is an inspiration to us all. I only hope that his memory and his spirit can inspire us to be better people, to do greater things.I can honestly say that his story, his decision and sadly, his death has made me look inside myself and aspire to be a better man and for that I am thankful beyond what words can explain.My prayers go out to those he has left behind.
That is very well put. There is now a void in the world that I am not sure will be filled.

:thumbup: Unfortunately, profits would go to the NFL and Starter, and people will look on this as a profit motive, rather than a fitting tribute of a selfless man whom, like every soldier that signs up, sacrifices other livelihoods -- and often their lives -- to preserve freedom for the rest of us.I would hope that on opening day in Arizona (indeed, all over the NFL), every fan was wearing a Tillman jersey, with all profits going to a recognized charity for families who lost loved ones in Afghanistan and Iraq. Horribly tragic, -- Tillman was someone special for foregoing the NFL for a cause he believed in and wanted to fight for. Bless him, his family, and the rest of the military who are still out there fighting for that cause.
Doesn't just have to be a Arizona Jersey.The NFL team pro shops all have that authentic custom jersey.I am seriously considering buying one from my favorite team (Green Bay) and customizing it with TILLMAN and the #40.I might, for the first time in my life, make it to Lambeau Field for a game this year... I can think of no better jersey to show my support of my team and my respect for a great man.

Wow...Dan Patrick on ESPN Radio just played some comments from Tillman right after 9/11 and it really tugged at the heart strings. This guy talked about how his grandfather was at Pearl Harbor, how many of his family served, and he "hadn't done a damn thing." He talked about how athletes and so many others "##### and moan" about things that in the grand scheme of things don't mean anything.

I too would love to see the NFL setup a charity where the profit from sales of Tillman jersey's go to the familes who have lost loved ones in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.Although it'd be neat to see #40 Tillman jerseys from all the NFL teams, out of respect to his Arizona lineage I think the Cards jersey would be most appropriate (as long as Bidwell doesn't get a dime of the profits).

Just a sad day all around. Not that any other day isn't when something like this happens. My heart goes out to anyone who's lost a loved one while that person was serving their country. And I can't begin to imagine the different emotions that come with that lost.GB Pat Tillman.

GB Pat Tillman and ALL soldiers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, suffered injuries, and those who continue to serve our military.His death is no more important that any other, but the attention it brings serves us a reminder of the ultimate sacrifice that all enlisted men could visit in the theatre of war.A story like his is not often seen, and I mean the scope of what drove him to quit the NFL and join the Army Rangers. Truly a patriotic motivation if there ever was one.

Horrible news. :( Hopefully this isn't out of line. I think the words of A.E. Houseman describes this best.

TO AN ATHLETE DYING YOUNGby A.E. HousmanThe time you won your town the raceWe chaired you through the market-place;Man and boy stood cheering by,And home we brought you shoulder-high.To-day, the road all runners come,Shoulder high-high we bring you home,And set you at your threshold down,Townsman of a stiller town.Smart lad, to slip betimes awayFrom fields where glory does not stayAnd early though the laurel growsIt whithers quicker than the rose.Eyes the shady night has shutCannot see the record cut,And silence sounds no worse than cheersAfter earth has stopped the ears:Now you will not swell the routof lads that wore their honours out,Runners whom renown outranAnd the name died before the man.So set, before its echos fade,The fleet foot on the sill of shade,And hold to the low lintel upThe still-defended challenge-cup.And round that early-laurelled headWill flock to gaze the strengthless dead,And find unwithered on its curlsThe garland briefer than a girl's.
GB the Tillman family.

Hey Zonies, a caller on the radio already has suggested that Bidwell name the new stadium after him. Think he'll have the stones?
I think "Tillman Stadium" has a nice ring to it. It could be referred to as "The Till". That would be a great way to honor an amazing person. We'll see.

I am seriously considering buying one from my favorite team (Green Bay) and customizing it with TILLMAN and the #40.I might, for the first time in my life, make it to Lambeau Field for a game this year... I can think of no better jersey to show my support of my team and my respect for a great man.
I'm a Packer fan as well and I think that's a great idea. I'd be very proud to wear Tillman's name/# with the Pack's colors...that would be sweet. :thumbup:

Heard on a local talk radio sports show that the NFL is thinking about making the 40 yard lines on all NFL football fields Red, White and Blue in tribute to Tillman and all military fallen...

Users who are viewing this thread