What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For Mods/Admins: Can we get a Player Thread section? (1 Viewer)

greyhorse

Footballguy
I'm new to Footballguys forums, but have am very active on the "other" site that everyone reads. What drives me nuts about The Shark Pool is just how random all of the topics are. It's very difficult to sift through the forums and find a thread about a player you are interested in. On the other site, there is organization so there are "Season Outlook" threads for each player. Here, it just seems to be very random. Instead of a "Martavius Bryant 2015 Season Outlook", there are separate threads like "4 game suspension for Martavius Bryant".

I've sent a PM to one of the admins, but I never got a response. Just wondering if this has been brought up in the past and what type of discussion there was. If this is not allowed, I'm sorry for taking up the bandwidth. Was just curious...

Unenforceable. We still get a dozen "rate my draft" and advice threads in the SP every day. No way we'd see people putting player threads anywhere else.

The search bar in the upper right corner works well for me.

Search: Player Name

Then click on the "Google" button in the search bar and select:

Search Section: Forums

It's easy to pick out the dedicated player thread or threads of interest from the returned results.

It's easy to pick out the dedicated player thread or threads of interest from the returned results.
I've tried that, but it pulls up various Google threads, some of which seem really old. Plus there is no thread dedicated for each particular season, it's ongoing for the entire player's career, it seems.

The other forum site is so enjoyable to read and very easy to discuss about particular players of interest. Inappropriate threads are moved to the Assistant Coach forum where they belong. Of course, this particular thread only adds to the clutter of all the other hundreds of threads. But if that's how it works here, then I guess that's how it is.

I've tried that, but it pulls up various Google threads, some of which seem really old. Plus there is no thread dedicated for each particular season, it's ongoing for the entire player's career, it seems.
correct. but the most recent posts on said player are easily accessible. it's not like rotoworld or dlf forums where there is a dedicated yearly thread for 578922332 players every year, and that's fine

Last edited by a moderator:

The other forum site is so enjoyable to read and very easy to discuss about particular players of interest. Inappropriate threads are moved to the Assistant Coach forum where they belong. Of course, this particular thread only adds to the clutter of all the other hundreds of threads. But if that's how it works here, then I guess that's how it is.
Sounds like you have your answer. You'll be missed. I personally like having a player's entire career in one thread so that you can quickly check opinions at different points in time.

Sounds like you have your answer. You'll be missed. I personally like having a player's entire career in one thread so that you can quickly check opinions at different points in time.
What possible relevance does analysis for 2012 Aaron Rodgers have on 2015 Aaron Rodgers? There really should be annual threads. Keep the old ones searchable in an archive.

I've tried that, but it pulls up various Google threads, some of which seem really old. Plus there is no thread dedicated for each particular season, it's ongoing for the entire player's career, it seems.The other forum site is so enjoyable to read and very easy to discuss about particular players of interest. Inappropriate threads are moved to the Assistant Coach forum where they belong. Of course, this particular thread only adds to the clutter of all the other hundreds of threads. But if that's how it works here, then I guess that's how it is.
What possible relevance does analysis for 2012 Aaron Rodgers have on 2015 Aaron Rodgers? There really should be annual threads. Keep the old ones searchable in an archive.
I enjoy the threads going back to a guys start in the league. If it's a more obscure player, there can be a lot of knowledge to gain about a guy you might not know much about.

I've tried that, but it pulls up various Google threads, some of which seem really old. Plus there is no thread dedicated for each particular season, it's ongoing for the entire player's career, it seems.The other forum site is so enjoyable to read and very easy to discuss about particular players of interest. Inappropriate threads are moved to the Assistant Coach forum where they belong. Of course, this particular thread only adds to the clutter of all the other hundreds of threads. But if that's how it works here, then I guess that's how it is.
I enjoy the threads going back to a guys start in the league. If it's a more obscure player, there can be a lot of knowledge to gain about a guy you might not know much about.
That's why wikipedia was invented. Internet message baords are for discussing current relevant topics. Right now, the discussion is about players and how they will perform in 2015.

Scoresman said:
ryno1980 said:
Scoresman said:
wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

That's why wikipedia was invented. Internet message baords are for discussing current relevant topics. Right now, the discussion is about players and how they will perform in 2015.
Wikipedia will tell you how your fellow dynasty owners felt about a prospect years ago, at the time, in context?

Scoresman said:
ryno1980 said:
Scoresman said:
wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

tReally? You truly find Wikipedia valuable?

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

I'm just merely trying to start a discussion here with an innocent question. I'm not attacking you and your 108 posts personally or this site. If this is any representation of the community as a whole, maybe I will just stick with where I came from. This is my first year as a Footballguys Pro member so I'm new to the site, and I love the volumes of content of this website but just wish the forums were a little more organized. That's all.

I don't see how reading about how the community felt about Reggie Bush when he was with the Saints has anything to do with how he will perform this year with the Niners. I don't see how reading all the 2014 preseason posts about Justin Hunter is going to change my opinion of him for this year. Past performance for a player as it is relevant to this season is often discussed in threads, but I don't need to reread all of the posts hyping him as the next great thing when he obviously didn't pan out.

Scoresman said:
ryno1980 said:
Scoresman said:
wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

No but I might go there if I gave a #### about 2012 Aaron Rodgers which I dont. I care about this fantasy season and like it better to have threads relevant to this season on the first page.

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

I'm just merely trying to start a discussion here with an innocent question. I'm not attacking you and your 108 posts personally or this site. If this is any representation of the community as a whole, maybe I will just stick with where I came from. This is my first year as a Footballguys Pro member so I'm new to the site, and I love the volumes of content of this website but just wish the forums were a little more organized. That's all.

I don't see how reading about how the community felt about Reggie Bush when he was with the Saints has anything to do with how he will perform this year with the Niners. I don't see how reading all the 2014 preseason posts about Justin Hunter is going to change my opinion of him for this year. Past performance for a player as it is relevant to this season is often discussed in threads, but I don't need to reread all of the posts hyping him as the next great thing when he obviously didn't pan out.
Welcome to FBG's and I can see the point you are trying to make however don't take it the wrong way but I just don't agree with you. Not only do some see past info in the thread relevant, but there's also two things which make it hard for me to agree with your opinion. First, you can always go to the last page of a thread. Second, you can click to go to your last unread post. Once you've read a page you can return to where you last left off by hitting the "go to first unread post" button. I've never had the problem of finding where new information is and think fantasy football is a year around sport, where do you cut off where one thread ends and another begins?

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

Welcome to FBG's and I can see the point you are trying to make however don't take it the wrong way but I just don't agree with you. Not only do some see past info in the thread relevant, but there's also two things which make it hard for me to agree with your opinion. First, you can always go to the last page of a thread. Second, you can click to go to your last unread post. Once you've read a page you can return to where you last left off by hitting the "go to first unread post" button. I've never had the problem of finding where new information is and think fantasy football is a year around sport, where do you cut off where one thread ends and another begins?
Here's an example. There is currently a three year old 94 page Buffalo Bill thread on the first page. Say I'm interested in the developments of that team for this season. I assure you, finding this year's relevant discussion isnt just found by clicking on the last page. You have to dig somewhere in the middle of the thread. Contrast this to the 49ers thread which has a new thread annually. Much better.

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

Here's an example. There is currently a three year old 94 page Buffalo Bill thread on the first page. Say I'm interested in the developments of that team for this season. I assure you, finding this year's relevant discussion isnt just found by clicking on the last page. You have to dig somewhere in the middle of the thread. Contrast this to the 49ers thread which has a new thread annually. Much better.
Agreed. Currently there is a "Duron Carter poised to sign with an NFL team", a "Anybody believe in Demarco Murray" thread started in 2012, and a "Is Markus Wheaton underrated" thread started in 2013. While the name of the topic soon becomes out-of-date, the thread still is the place where people discuss the player. So if Duron Carter becomes WR2 on the Colts next year, are we still going to have to go to the "Duron Carter poised to sign with an NFL team" thread? I think by now people believe in Demarco Murray yet this is still where we go. I'm sure there are other Demarco Murray threads. If I'm new and I want to find where to write about Demarco for this 2015 season, I search for him, up pops all these threads, so how do I know which is the "main" thread? The one that is the longest, I suppose?

And I agree with Scoresman. It's not as simple as just going to the last page and marking everything as read. You have to click back page by page to find out where relevant posts for this particular season starts.

I'm no techie, but from a bandwidth perspective, wouldn't it make loading some of these threads faster? If you were able to archive or at least put the older posts into the background where they are much less searched?

I have noticed that some people name their threads "Dynasty / Redraft : [player]". While I don't agree with the Dynasty part, at least it makes it easy to know that this is where I need to go to discuss a particular player.

Clearly the Mods/Admins don't have an issue with how the forums are formatting, so I suppose that's the answer. Again, I'm here on this website for the great information that I hope will help me to win my league. It's a shame the forums aren't at the same level in my humble opinion.

I think part of the issue is that you just started reading topics on these forums. You have no context or history of reading the information that has been posted here.

If you had been reading the Bills thread since January for example. You would be up to speed on the topics and opinions people posting in that thread since the end of last season. It would not be difficult to discern what information was new or relevant in the thread, because you have been following the conversation.

So why should people who have been contributing to these discussions over time need to reorganize this information into some cookie cutter mold that will bring you up to speed on the team or player situations quickly? A lot of the people posting here have been doing so for years and some of the conversation more nuanced because of this ongoing conversation.

Now there is a lot of drek that gets posted as well. But this is the internet.

You are a bit like a child walking in on the middle of a movie and asking what happened. Not only that you are asking everyone to stop talking the way that they are just because that would be more convenient for you.

Part of the value of having long standing threads is that it helps me to re-evaluate past ideas and processes and see where I might have been wrong or things that turned out to be right. This helps me improve my processes by hopefully learning from past mistakes. It also saves me a lot of time. Some of the things I post here take hours for me to write. There is research time involved. I don't like having to reinvent the wheel every time someone new comes along. There are ideas and concepts shared here that become a foundation for other knowledge.

I would suggest some patience. Perhaps over time you will become more comfortable with the context of threads. Perhaps you won't. If you don't like a thread don't read it.

glll peas

I think part of the issue is that you just started reading topics on these forums. You have no context or history of reading the information that has been posted here.

If you had been reading the Bills thread since January for example. You would be up to speed on the topics and opinions people posting in that thread since the end of last season. It would not be difficult to discern what information was new or relevant in the thread, because you have been following the conversation.

So why should people who have been contributing to these discussions over time need to reorganize this information into some cookie cutter mold that will bring you up to speed on the team or player situations quickly? A lot of the people posting here have been doing so for years and some of the conversation more nuanced because of this ongoing conversation.

You are a bit like a child walking in on the middle of a movie and asking what happened. Not only that you are asking everyone to stop talking the way that they are just because that would be more convenient for you.

Part of the value of having long standing threads is that it helps me to re-evaluate past ideas and processes and see where I might have been wrong or things that turned out to be right. This helps me improve my processes by hopefully learning from past mistakes. It also saves me a lot of time. Some of the things I post here take hours for me to write. There is research time involved. I don't like having to reinvent the wheel every time someone new comes along. There are ideas and concepts shared here that become a foundation for other knowledge.

I would suggest some patience. Perhaps over time you will become more comfortable with the context of threads. Perhaps you won't. If you don't like a thread don't read it.

glll peas
Point taken.

I am not barging in here demanding change, that would be inappropriate. I am new, so I'm trying to figure out things and why they are the way they are. Some see it my way. Others like you see it the other way.

But even if you feel that reading years old posts is relevant, do you not agree that a threads titled "Dynasty/Redraft: Duron Carter", "Dynasty/Redraft: Demarco Murray", and "Dynasty/Redraft: Markus Wheaton" would be more relevant than the currently titled "Duron Carter poised to sign with an NFL team", "Anybody believe in Demarco Murray", and "Is Markus Wheaton underrated"? I may be new and you may think I know nothing despite my years of playing fantasy football and posting on another site - that's fine. But I don't think you can argue this last point.

It's the same thing in the free for all. There could be a headline breaking school shooting and someone will bump the Columbine thread from 1999 or some #### to talk about it. I consider myself an Internet message board veteran and this is the only place I've posted that is so against new threads for new topics.

Scoresman said:
ryno1980 said:
Scoresman said:
wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

No but I might go there if I gave a #### about 2012 Aaron Rodgers which I dont. I care about this fantasy season and like it better to have threads relevant to this season on the first page.
They are. You goto the last page.

glll peas
You can still do all this if you had yearly threads. It's simple. The day your team is eliminated you start the new year's thread. So for the bills that would be early October. You can still post you war and peace length post about Doug Flutie or whatever other buffalo bill you want to analyze.

Last edited by a moderator:
greyhorse said:
I'm new to Footballguys forums,
Do you walk into restaurants for the first time and ask them to redo the menu?
If I walked into a restaurant and I saw appetizers mixed with main courses mixed with dessert, and some of them were for dishes they served three years ago and no longer offer now, I might wonder why it was so disorganized and might find it difficult to know exactly what I want for dinner. I don't have the right to ask them to change the menu but I think I am allowed to ask the manager a question.

glll peas
Thought a little bit more about this on my evening walk...

I suppose from you veterans here of 10000 posts, you're basically saying that as a new poster, if I really want to contribute to discussions for players or teams, that I must read the entire 94 page thread to catch up on what all the long time posters have said and what they think about a particular player or team. That's completely unreasonable. I may not have contributed to a discussion from three years ago, but if I have something to say about this particular season, and if I've read all of the posts from this particular year, then shouldn't that be enough?

I guess I like more organization in my life. Clearly people here don't care that they're posting in a thread titled "Reggie Wayne, promising rookie out of University of Miami". Or that there are ten Tom Brady threads because everybody starts a new thread if they don't know they're supposed to be posting in the "Tom Brady, Michigan QB doesn't look ready for NFL?" thread. If all the discussion relating to a particular player is in one thread, don't people find that easier to converse and talk? I guess not. To each their own.

I'm 100% with the OP!! This constant thread bumping that started in 2012/2013 is ridiculous. Let the old threads die and let's more forward with pertinent NEW info.

greyhorse, please message me as to where I can find find current threads even if it's across the street...

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

EXACTLY!!! I got another warnimg for bringing up this exact same thing last week. I honestly can't believe the mods aren't siding with the peeps that want NEW material at their fingertips but agree with TOPIC BUMPING of #### from five yrs ago....

Team threads, that's on the fans of that team to update it more often. We start new Eagles threads each year. Some teams don't post enough to care about a new thread I guess.

I suppose from you veterans here of 10000 posts, you're basically saying that as a new poster, if I really want to contribute to discussions for players or teams, that I must read the entire 94 page thread to catch up on what all the long time posters have said and what they think about a particular player or team. That's completely unreasonable. I may not have contributed to a discussion from three years ago, but if I have something to say about this particular season, and if I've read all of the posts from this particular year, then shouldn't that be enough?

I guess I like more organization in my life. Clearly people here don't care that they're posting in a thread titled "Reggie Wayne, promising rookie out of University of Miami". Or that there are ten Tom Brady threads because everybody starts a new thread if they don't know they're supposed to be posting in the "Tom Brady, Michigan QB doesn't look ready for NFL?" thread. If all the discussion relating to a particular player is in one thread, don't people find that easier to converse and talk? I guess not. To each their own.
No it's not like that.

First off, welcome.

Let me give you a brief history- There was an FF newsgroup that some of us and many present staff members used to frequent. Like a message board, we chatted there. After some years and sites and "mergers" and such, FBG was born and much of the conversation from the FF newsgroup came over to here. As FF grew, this became an insanely popular board. It seems like just about everyone has "been here" at some point or another and there's something special about that. The board isn't as good as it once was-I could probably name 50-60 well-known FF writers that used to come here often and simply don't anymore. For me, I say it's not as good as it once was. Joe Shmoe that joined five years ago and didn't know them, might think it's better. Regardless, better or worse, It's active and still very useful and entertaining.

The board started out as an ugly sorta nah it looked OK yellow color scheme, then they went with this blue and invision board.When people say "old yeller" they refer to the old board and how things were done.

The rules haven't always been the same as far as bumping or this N that. If you look at the pinned post in the FFA or Pool, Joe B and Shick!(No longer a member) sort of created the rules based upon experience. Joe's a real good egg and maybe it shouldn't matter but it's nice to know a good guy is looking after the board as "his baby." Well intentioned, no naked pic rule, becomes ok no thong pics either and...it all just develops. The rules are minimal and again, if you look them over you can imagine something happened so they made this rule OR ooh I heard of this happening somewhere they must have created the rule to make sure it doesn't happen here. There isn't a thing surprising in the rules and it all goes by Joe's motto "Be excellent to one another."

We're not always but FF is passionate and there's bravado and teasing.

SO when it switched from old yeller to the new board and when they switched to a new server AND another time when they said "maintenance" was being done....threads were deleted. On the one hand, they do not need to keep every thread of every FF thought anyone ever had. On the other, if it's deleted some jackal will start a thread with the title "where's the thread about XYZ?" Sooo that sort of developed into these longer threads.

You're a newbie and back to your original Q despite my long-winded reply. Let' me sum up the first 20 pages of Jared Cook's thread-

He's such an athlete, he's going to be a great pro. Who could cover him? What a bust! I think a new start in STL is what he needs. Maybe this is his year.

Can't you assume that was said? No you don't have to read the first 20 pages then, just jump into the conversation. The regulars here (which you will be in time) may enjoy some fun teasing someone that said Cook was a breakout sleeper TE and this year is claiming Supernaw is some hidden gem. It's got some teasing value. Also though, we have a gem of a man named Faust that posts news here like it's an addiction. Otherwise you're encouraged to post news in threads and/or articles about a player. Today, you might find it interesting to scroll back and see Cook had concentration issues with the Titans and Fisher used to say the same darn things he says now about him.That has some value when rating a player you're expectant of change/improvement from.

You don't have to scroll back. Read a page or two and you can assume the rest. Just jump in.

If I'm gonna tease IWannaBeACowboyBaby or JohnnyU for being wrong on a Colts or Cowboys player well it's just teasing and they're gems about their teams. That's just normal on FF boards.

There's a rich history here, to use a cliche, and it is useful. You don't need to know how to use it or benefit from it to contribute, but you'll figure it out in time and be a part of it yourself.

Just jump in, the rest will come

We have little tolerance for bulls in china shops but love knowledgable football people.

Like any board, you'll be hammered if you say Jerry Rice isn't half the receiver Reuben Randle is but you'll be appreciated if you point out how his career follows a similar trend to player Y so his projected stats should be XYZ. It won't take you long, blend in, enjoy...welcome

greyhorse said:
I'm new to Footballguys forums,
Do you walk into restaurants for the first time and ask them to redo the menu?
If I walked into a restaurant and I saw appetizers mixed with main courses mixed with dessert, and some of them were for dishes they served three years ago and no longer offer now, I might wonder why it was so disorganized and might find it difficult to know exactly what I want for dinner. I don't have the right to ask them to change the menu but I think I am allowed to ask the manager a question.

glll peas
Thought a little bit more about this on my evening walk...

I suppose from you veterans here of 10000 posts, you're basically saying that as a new poster, if I really want to contribute to discussions for players or teams, that I must read the entire 94 page thread to catch up on what all the long time posters have said and what they think about a particular player or team. That's completely unreasonable.
It is. Good thing no one said that.

Do you know what is reasonable? Expecting people to learn how to operate the search function.

wakelawyer said:
greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

I'm just merely trying to start a discussion here with an innocent question. I'm not attacking you and your 108 posts personally or this site. If this is any representation of the community as a whole, maybe I will just stick with where I came from. This is my first year as a Footballguys Pro member so I'm new to the site, and I love the volumes of content of this website but just wish the forums were a little more organized. That's all.I don't see how reading about how the community felt about Reggie Bush when he was with the Saints has anything to do with how he will perform this year with the Niners. I don't see how reading all the 2014 preseason posts about Justin Hunter is going to change my opinion of him for this year. Past performance for a player as it is relevant to this season is often discussed in threads, but I don't need to reread all of the posts hyping him as the next great thing when he obviously didn't pan out.
EXACTLY!!! I got another warnimg for bringing up this exact same thing last week. I honestly can't believe the mods aren't siding with the peeps that want NEW material at their fingertips but agree with TOPIC BUMPING of #### from five yrs ago....
You got a warning probably because you were acting like a #### about it.

Long time poster here, and I agree with OP. Mainly because I love browsing this forum on a mobile device (mobile internet traffic is now in the majority), and it become impossible in low service areas to skip to the last page, and search page by page to where the relevant discussion began.

On top of that, the un-collapsable nested quotes are ridiculously impossible to scroll through.

My 2 cents.

I agree with the OP, it would be nice to have a yearly organized player thread. But like in most cases, everyone is against change and will have plenty of excuses not to do so.

It's not always a matter of using the search feature on the site. I am pretty sure most of us can figure it out, but once you search for "Player Name" and you get 5 different threads mentioning him, then you need to find where actual pertinent information is.

Try reading some of the Packers player threads, we have a few fans that obviously disagree vehemently and argue throughout the thread, which makes finding actual relevant information a task. Then multiply that by a 2-3 year old thread and you have a very messy thread that is really more work than fun trying to sort through because two or three posters have to have the last word over the other guy.

I like reading these boards most of the time, but some organization would definitely make it nicer and easier for those that came by looking for this seasons updates and information. It really wouldn't be that difficult or require that much change.

greyhorse said:
EastonBlues22 said:

When you do this search, you can switch from Google search to These Forums. Try that. I used to have the same problem you did when searching that found out you can switch it.

The ideal would be a separate forum for JUST yearly player spotlight threads to talk about fantasy relevant info. You could still have threads in the Shark Pool for major news items and such and team threads as well. So like if another picture of Favre's **** gets released that wouldn't belong in the spotlight thread, but it would belong in its own thread somewhere else or even in the Green Bay or Minnesota thread.

The idea is to make the discussion relevant to this year easy to disseminate.

Sorry if I don't have enough board rep to make a suggestion or two.

If they made a player spotlight forum it would be like the AC. Barely used. You might as well goto Rotoworld because all you'd be getting is links from there on the latest updates.

I feel like they're running with the thoughts "if it isn't broke why fix it" instead of staying ahead of the curve and welcoming change. The shark pool used to be my first stop for pertinent daily information from forum members ....

I feel like they're running with the thoughts "if it isn't broke why fix it" instead of staying ahead of the curve and welcoming change. The shark pool used to be my first stop for pertinent daily information from forum members ....
When I go to the supermarket, I see little kids that don't get their way eventually throw these huge tantrums where they are kicking and screaming on the floor. It's a big scene.

When I go to the supermarket, I see little kids that don't get their way eventually throw these huge tantrums where they are kicking and screaming on the floor. It's a big scene.
No tantrums here...just merely stating a different pov. Not everyone here likes the topic bumping of 3-4 yr old threads!!

Yeah, but then Twitter was created. FBG should invent a better Twitter?

No tantrums here...just merely stating a different pov. Not everyone here likes the topic bumping of 3-4 yr old threads!!
You created a bunch of threads despite people telling you not to, got a wrist slap from a mod, and now are on the same "kick" here.

You offered your point of view, it wasn't well received. You tried it. It wasn't well received.

Why don't you just accept it and move on?

You created a bunch of threads despite people telling you not to, got a wrist slap from a mod, and now are on the same "kick" here.

You offered your point of view, it wasn't well received. You tried it. It wasn't well received.

I created one thread, "STAFFORD" that had some good replies once you sifted through the BS. The Tebow thread was a joke. I've never been one to follow the masses as you seem to do, and apparently I'm not the only one that feels like this since several others think the exact same thing as I do. Have a great day!! I'm done here.

I created one thread, "STAFFORD" that had some good replies once you sifted through the BS. The Tebow thread was a joke. I've never been one to follow the masses as you seem to do, and apparently I'm not the only one that feels like this since several others think the exact same thing as I do. Have a great day!! I'm done here.
Any thoughts on Steve Grogan?

Users who are viewing this thread