What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Players Championship (1 Viewer)

Very excited about this :confused:

Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content.

:thumbup:

Very excited about this :thumbup:Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content. :cry:
I hear you, Woodrow.The reality is that integrity and trust are of paramount importance. I'm hyper sensitive there. It's why we're making such a big deal out of escrowing all the prize money. With that said, there was just no way we could envision coming up with a scenario (and we tried hard) that would allow FBG or FFPC staff to play. Any FBG staffer winning would just kill all credibility that we're trying to build. No matter how legit it was. We tried working an all FBG Staffer league and making it where you guys could play just for bragging rights but with every scenario, there was that hint of possible shadiness that we just couldn't have. Sorry.And yes, I realize this is probably going to cost me dearly with what I have to do to make it up to you guys... ;)J

Very excited about this :goodposting:Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content. :goodposting:
:lmao: I've always enjoyed working with Dave and Alex - they have a great business model that focuses on the fantasy players.I'll still enjoy watching the results, free agent moves, etc. Enjoy, all y'all!

Very excited about this :goodposting:Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content. :goodposting:
:lmao: One of the drawbacks we all have (not being able to compete), but I for one am really happy to see this union and this contest. With all of the issues that have been associated in the "big" contests and problems with payouts, adding any credibility to that space helps every fantasy football player (and every fantasy player, for that matter). I'd love to participate as well, but in the bigger picture of things I completely understand the restriction - and I support it.There's a lack of trust in the big contests right now, both with the "guaranteed" money and the backings of the payouts. For Joe and David to step up here AND partner with the FFPC, well, you couldn't ask for two better organizations to back this new challenge.I hope to see this as a major contest and success right out of the gate.

Very excited about this :unsure:

Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content.

:cry:
I hear you, Woodrow.

The reality is that integrity and trust are of paramount importance. I'm hyper sensitive there. It's why we're making such a big deal out of escrowing all the prize money.

With that said, there was just no way we could envision coming up with a scenario (and we tried hard) that would allow FBG or FFPC staff to play. Any FBG staffer winning would just kill all credibility that we're trying to build. No matter how legit it was. We tried working an all FBG Staffer league and making it where you guys could play just for bragging rights but with every scenario, there was that hint of possible shadiness that we just couldn't have. Sorry.

And yes, I realize this is probably going to cost me dearly with what I have to do to make it up to you guys... ;)

J
I'm looking forward to my new Bryant Boat. :lmao: Regarding the contest, this is completely understandable and is pretty much standard for any contest. Credibility and integrity is paramount for this and if successful, it will benefit the industry and all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very excited about this :thumbup:Probably the first time in the last decade I'm actually bummed that I'm a staffer though. Would LOVE to compete in this content. :cry:
:rolleyes: One of the drawbacks we all have (not being able to compete), but I for one am really happy to see this union and this contest. With all of the issues that have been associated in the "big" contests and problems with payouts, adding any credibility to that space helps every fantasy football player (and every fantasy player, for that matter). I'd love to participate as well, but in the bigger picture of things I completely understand the restriction - and I support it.There's a lack of trust in the big contests right now, both with the "guaranteed" money and the backings of the payouts. For Joe and David to step up here AND partner with the FFPC, well, you couldn't ask for two better organizations to back this new challenge.I hope to see this as a major contest and success right out of the gate.
Jeff you can't play in this Contest? Please tell me that Aaron Rudnicki, Chase Stuart can. Please.Speed

So with this contest, what is the tax situation?

Does everything over X amount get reported to IRS? Are there withholdings for anything over X amount?

I'm interested in doing this (FBG does lend credibility IMO, and the price is right), but I hate the though of losing half of my winnings right off of the top.

Sucks that you can't write off losses but have to claim all winnings. I don't mind paying my legit share, but if you lose $350 ten years in a row, then win $3,500 in the 11th year, you are net even, but still owe taxes on the entire 3500 and can't write off any of the previous entries. It's a scam (not the contest, the way the IRS handles gambling).

Joe and David, does contest ineligibility trickle down to former News Bloggers and current Street Team members? How does the line get drawn when it comes down to accountability and the perception of credibility. If one of us was to play and win, would there be a perception of "loss of credibility" inferred upon FBG?

Unfortunately, I will be unable to participate this year (even if permitted to) due to an extreme lack of "entertainment" funds but I think this is a great venture for both FBG and FFPC. I wish you the best in this and any other future endeavors!!!!!

Rody

Joe and David, does contest ineligibility trickle down to former News Bloggers and current Street Team members? How does the line get drawn when it comes down to accountability and the perception of credibility. If one of us was to play and win, would there be a perception of "loss of credibility" inferred upon FBG?Unfortunately, I will be unable to participate this year (even if permitted to) due to an extreme lack of "entertainment" funds but I think this is a great venture for both FBG and FFPC. I wish you the best in this and any other future endeavors!!!!!Rody
Hi Rody,It would be just current FBG staff that can't play. Former News Bloggers would be fine. I guess we'd need to make a call on Street Team guys or someone that wrote a guest article. My "line" that feels right would be FBG Staff are out. And Street Teamers and Guest article writers would be ok. I'll get with David and the FFPC guys.J

Joe and David, does contest ineligibility trickle down to former News Bloggers and current Street Team members? How does the line get drawn when it comes down to accountability and the perception of credibility. If one of us was to play and win, would there be a perception of "loss of credibility" inferred upon FBG?Unfortunately, I will be unable to participate this year (even if permitted to) due to an extreme lack of "entertainment" funds but I think this is a great venture for both FBG and FFPC. I wish you the best in this and any other future endeavors!!!!!Rody
Hi Rody,It would be just current FBG staff that can't play. Former News Bloggers would be fine. I guess we'd need to make a call on Street Team guys or someone that wrote a guest article. My "line" that feels right would be FBG Staff are out. And Street Teamers and Guest article writers would be ok. I'll get with David and the FFPC guys.J
Just got with David and he's in agreement. Just current Footballguys staff listed on the website are excluded. Former guys or current street teamers or guys that write a freelance article etc are ok.J

Big Black Dot.

I think the wife won't need to know about this one. I for one, don't care how much you guys pocket. It's a business, you should look to profit. Anyone that doesn't like it, doesn't need to sign up.

What is we have a three year subscription already. If we sign up early is there a fourth year thrown in. Won't matter to me either way but I am curious.

So with this contest, what is the tax situation?Does everything over X amount get reported to IRS? Are there withholdings for anything over X amount?I'm interested in doing this (FBG does lend credibility IMO, and the price is right), but I hate the though of losing half of my winnings right off of the top.Sucks that you can't write off losses but have to claim all winnings. I don't mind paying my legit share, but if you lose $350 ten years in a row, then win $3,500 in the 11th year, you are net even, but still owe taxes on the entire 3500 and can't write off any of the previous entries. It's a scam (not the contest, the way the IRS handles gambling).
David & Alex can chime in here but we don't withhold anything. But anything paid over $600 (I believe that's right) has to be reported by us to the IRS that we're paying the money to you. J

So with this contest, what is the tax situation?Does everything over X amount get reported to IRS? Are there withholdings for anything over X amount?I'm interested in doing this (FBG does lend credibility IMO, and the price is right), but I hate the though of losing half of my winnings right off of the top.Sucks that you can't write off losses but have to claim all winnings. I don't mind paying my legit share, but if you lose $350 ten years in a row, then win $3,500 in the 11th year, you are net even, but still owe taxes on the entire 3500 and can't write off any of the previous entries. It's a scam (not the contest, the way the IRS handles gambling).
David & Alex can chime in here but we don't withhold anything. But anything paid over $600 (I believe that's right) has to be reported by us to the IRS that we're paying the money to you. J
Can you pay me and some buddies in chunks of $500 if I happen to win that much? :yes:

Can you pay me and some buddies in chunks of $500 if I happen to win that much? :goodposting:
Sorry Ramblin'. I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy. But I like staying clear with the IRS. :confused:J

I thought there had to be withholding for anything "big". Maybe that doesn't apply to FF, I'm not sure, which is why I was asking. I'm pretty sure that if you win big in Vegas in Roulette or something (say 10Gs for example), they withhold a nice chunk (maybe 30% or somewhere around there), and good ole' Uncle Sam hangs on to it for you.

ok just saw that it will be between 80-90% payout. not bad i guess.

Can you pay me and some buddies in chunks of $500 if I happen to win that much? :unsure:
Sorry Ramblin'. I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy. But I like staying clear with the IRS. ;)J
First, let me just say how excited and honored Dave and myself are to be working with Joe and David. More than that, it's actually very cool! :shrug:With regard to the tax question, this is the unfortunate reality of winning money - or should I say, earning money - in high stakes fantasy football. Joe is correct. We will not deduct anything ourselves but all cash prizes of $600 or more must be reported to the IRS and the prize winner will receive a 1099M for the calendar year in which the prizes were won.Btw, this is not exclusive to the Footballguys Players Championship or the FFPC. It applies to any fantasy contest. Also, this is NOT considered gambling winnings. Federal law excludes fantasy sports from the gambling industry therefore the IRS reporting will be via a 1099M (miscellaneous income) not a 1099G (G = gambling income).The good news is, you should be able to deduct entry fees and other expenses relating to the FF hobby. This is something I cannot advise you on but I'm sure there plenty of high stakes players here who can share their experiences.

I paid my $350 with a credit card today (Monday), although I did not see an option for picking a draft time/date.

But I noticed the times/dates listed on the FFPC message board and I e-mailed the FFPC with what I wanted.

First, let me just say how excited and honored Dave and myself are to be working with Joe and David. More than that, it's actually very cool! :shrug:With regard to the tax question, this is the unfortunate reality of winning money - or should I say, earning money - in high stakes fantasy football. Joe is correct. We will not deduct anything ourselves but all cash prizes of $600 or more must be reported to the IRS and the prize winner will receive a 1099M for the calendar year in which the prizes were won.Btw, this is not exclusive to the Footballguys Players Championship or the FFPC. It applies to any fantasy contest. Also, this is NOT considered gambling winnings. Federal law excludes fantasy sports from the gambling industry therefore the IRS reporting will be via a 1099M (miscellaneous income) not a 1099G (G = gambling income).The good news is, you should be able to deduct entry fees and other expenses relating to the FF hobby. This is something I cannot advise you on but I'm sure there plenty of high stakes players here who can share their experiences.
Alex, not to get too far off subject here, but a 1099M is issued if you win $600+ Does that include the $350 entry fee? Say I win $600 but I actually profited only $250 because of the $350 entry fee, would I still get a 1099?

First, let me just say how excited and honored Dave and myself are to be working with Joe and David. More than that, it's actually very cool! :hot:With regard to the tax question, this is the unfortunate reality of winning money - or should I say, earning money - in high stakes fantasy football. Joe is correct. We will not deduct anything ourselves but all cash prizes of $600 or more must be reported to the IRS and the prize winner will receive a 1099M for the calendar year in which the prizes were won.Btw, this is not exclusive to the Footballguys Players Championship or the FFPC. It applies to any fantasy contest. Also, this is NOT considered gambling winnings. Federal law excludes fantasy sports from the gambling industry therefore the IRS reporting will be via a 1099M (miscellaneous income) not a 1099G (G = gambling income).The good news is, you should be able to deduct entry fees and other expenses relating to the FF hobby. This is something I cannot advise you on but I'm sure there plenty of high stakes players here who can share their experiences.
Alex, not to get too far off subject here, but a 1099M is issued if you win $600+ Does that include the $350 entry fee? Say I win $600 but I actually profited only $250 because of the $350 entry fee, would I still get a 1099?
Yes. It's what they pay you back. Not what you net. Still, you can write off the entry fee as an expense against your winnings.

For me it will all come down to the payout percentages.

That is, I am interested in the specifics of what the floor and ceiling are.

Will it ACTUALLY be 80 to 90%? Not suggesting David would be dishonest, I just would not mind seeing a table of scenarios before choosing between that and a $200 league with Unlucky.

Truth is, the $50,000 big prize interests me no more than the lottery (in other words -- zero), and 12 X $350 = $4,200. Of this, $1,950 is a small fraction.

Which might just mean it is not the sort of contest for me...which is totally fine.

But I would need details on those other prizes and the big one just doesn't really enter my ROI equations.

Quick question, I just bought a one-year subscription. If I do the $350 entry and get the freeFBG subsciption by doing so early, how would that all work ou? Would I get a refund of my subscription? Sorry to ask, but there may be others in same boat.

Also, feedback is that you guys are right on the money. Trust is a huge deal, and there is a huge demand for this sort of thing, but also a huge lack of trust in the marketplace. This could be awesome, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Being a completely online thing, will this competition only be open to US residents or can international players compete?

ramsfan said:
Quick question, I just bought a one-year subscription. If I do the $350 entry and get the freeFBG subsciption by doing so early, how would that all work ou? Would I get a refund of my subscription? Sorry to ask, but there may be others in same boat.Also, feedback is that you guys are right on the money. Trust is a huge deal, and there is a huge demand for this sort of thing, but also a huge lack of trust in the marketplace. This could be awesome, and I wish you all the best of luck.
We can either add another year or refund you the money. Either way is fine with us.

Can I pay the $350 in coupons?

I did this in a league once, and the commish was not very happy.

I just want to make sure before I start clipping.

TIA

Can you please confirm that regardless of entrees, you will be paying the $50,000 or above championship fee. There is little doubt you will get hundreds of entrees. But I don't want to join, you have 400 entrees, and we're just playing for league championship fees because we didn't hit your magic threshold? Your original wording was a bit vague, as if there is no grand prize if you don't hit your target threshold.

Can you please confirm that regardless of entrees, you will be paying the $50,000 or above championship fee. There is little doubt you will get hundreds of entrees. But I don't want to join, you have 400 entrees, and we're just playing for league championship fees because we didn't hit your magic threshold? Your original wording was a bit vague, as if there is no grand prize if you don't hit your target threshold.
Yes this contest will go off regardless to the number of entries. We are GUARANTEEING the prize pool at 50 leagues (even if we have fewer entries)

I did not want me working on the website launch holding things up...

Link to the Prize Table

This shows the progressive nature of things (how we add money if we fill more than 50 leagues). Although we show this in increments of 5 leagues, we will release a final prize pool that corresponds to the exact leagues we have. For example, if we finish with 73 leagues, we will have a prize pool that's better than 70 leagues, but not quite as good as 75 leagues.

Once we cross thresholds, we will update the guarantee on the website as well. For example, when he have 65 leagues that have paid, we will reflect the 65 column as the GUARANTEED prize pool going forward.

Although this table shows a prize pool extending from 50 to 100 leagues, it will continue to grow as leagues are added above the 100 level.

Enjoy.

I did not want me working on the website launch holding things up...

Link to the Prize Table

This shows the progressive nature of things (how we add money if we fill more than 50 leagues). Although we show this in increments of 5 leagues, we will release a final prize pool that corresponds to the exact leagues we have. For example, if we finish with 73 leagues, we will have a prize pool that's better than 70 leagues, but not quite as good as 75 leagues.

Once we cross thresholds, we will update the guarantee on the website as well. For example, when he have 65 leagues that have paid, we will reflect the 65 column as the GUARANTEED prize pool going forward.

Although this table shows a prize pool extending from 50 to 100 leagues, it will continue to grow as leagues are added above the 100 level.

Enjoy.
I know I am in the extreme minority, but I would be happy to win the trophy. Cant wait to see what a $600 trophy looks like. And am I correct in understanding that there are winners that will win lifetime FBGs subscriptions.

I know I am in the extreme minority, but I would be happy to win the trophy. Cant wait to see what a $600 trophy looks like. And am I correct in understanding that there are winners that will win lifetime FBGs subscriptions.
yes 20 people will win lifetime subscriptions.

Yes, Brianhatch,As David said, the contest goes on with the 50,000 prize regardless. This is the risk in running a contest. If a 300 people sign up to play, we obviously don't bring in nearly enough money to cover the payout and we just lose money. What we're betting on in is that we can get enough folks to sign up so that we at least cover the prizes. Any help you guys can do there to help us spread the word is greatly appreciated. J

I like the new look of the FBG site Joe!!!
Thanks Rody. David is hoping to have it all up here soon. Using the old link for now until it's all stable. The new site has just about done me in over the last few months but I'm real pleased with how it's coming out. My friend, Sean Alsobrooks did the design and he's been excellent work for. I tell him what I'm looking for and he makes it happen. Just the right balance of being creative on his own but also doing what I ask. Thanks for the good words.J

Sounds great and would love to play. Few questions on details: How many weeks are the initial leagues' regular seasons? I assume when the top 2 from each league move on, they will be in a new league with a new draft. What is the weekly and league format after the top 2 from each league move or just what is the pathway to the $50,000? Thanks

Sounds great and would love to play. Few questions on details: How many weeks are the initial leagues' regular seasons? I assume when the top 2 from each league move on, they will be in a new league with a new draft. What is the weekly and league format after the top 2 from each league move or just what is the pathway to the $50,000? Thanks
Hi Bob,The Footballguys Players Championship will have an 11 week regular season. The League Playoff is Weeks 12 & 13. The Championship Round and Consolation Round is Weeks 14-16.

At the end of the regular season, the 2 top seeds from each league each automatically qualify for the Championship Round, regardless of how they perform in the League Playoff. The 4 top seeds (including the 2 above) from each league will compete in the 2-week, Head-to-Head League Playoff in Weeks 12 & 13. The winners of the Week 12 match-ups will play each other in Week 13 for the League Championship. The League Champion will win a berth in the Championship Round, if they have not already secured an automatic berth after the regular season. In other words, if Seed 3 or Seed 4 wins the League Championship, that team will also play in the Championship Round along with Seeds 1 & 2.

All aforementioned qualifying playoff teams will play in the Championship Round which will run during NFL Weeks 14, 15 and 16. Each playoff team will start the Championship Round with their one-game point average from the regular season (weeks 1-11) and will be seeded according to these points. Championship Round winners will be determined based on each team's total points scored during Weeks 14, 15 & 16 and added to their one-game point average from the regular season. The team with the most points will be crowned the 2010 Footballguys Players Champion and win the grand prize, custom TitleCraft trophy as well as receive accolades, admiration, respect, petty jealousy and outright disdain from fellow competitors. ;) The teams with the next highest points will win prizes as listed in the Prize section.

Seed 1 is best record, Seed 2 is most points, Seed 3 is best record among the remaining teams, and Seed 4 is most points of any team not already in the playoffs.

If you or anyone else has any further questions, please contact me at dave@myFFPC.com. We are glad to help.

Dave Gerczak

Will there be some kind of incentive for the teams that draft in early August instead of waiting until September to draft?

Thanks Rody. David is hoping to have it all up here soon. Using the old link for now until it's all stable. The new site has just about done me in over the last few months but I'm real pleased with how it's coming out. My friend, Sean Alsobrooks did the design and he's been excellent work for. I tell him what I'm looking for and he makes it happen. Just the right balance of being creative on his own but also doing what I ask. Thanks for the good words.J
Where can you see the new site?

Where can you see the new site?
Check out the link in Post #90.Edit: sorry, the link doesn't go to the new website page anymore. Earlier it went to a new page on FBG that looked pretty cool. New colors and layout. Pretty impressive actually.

Users who are viewing this thread