What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foldable Phone (1 Viewer)

Cool, but seems excessively niche. My reliance upon smartphone apps/technologies continues to degrade. I just want a device that will do mundane s##t. That's all I want.

Motorola is supposed to be bringing back the RAZR 'flip phone' with a foldable screen as well.
I saw an add for this Motorola on tv .... I want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaS_pxjcuNA

As the owner of the shop, I need to have the phone with me all day. I'm very active at work. Bending, sitting, kneeling, climbing into truck beds ...

These phones today are ridiculously huge in my front pocket and dig into my hip any time I'm bending at the waist. Can't use a clip because I would damage a customers vehicle when leaning on it ... clip on my back digs in when lying under a truck.

I tried to buy a smaller phone but was told they don't have the storage that I need.

Folding phone is the answer and I've been a fan of Motorola since my first smart phone. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
FreeBaGeL said:
I don't understand why folding on both sides is better than just folding in half.
Compared to the Samsung version, it looks like a much better solution.   That gap when left folded is just dumb, IMO.

The motorola concept looks like the best to me though.

Bossman said:

As the owner of the shop, I need to have the phone with me all day. I'm very active at work. Bending, sitting, kneeling, climbing into truck beds ...

These phones today are ridiculously huge in my front pocket and dig into my hip any time I'm bending at the waist. Can't use a clip because I would damage a customers vehicle when leaning on it ... clip on my back digs in when lying under a truck.

I tried to buy a smaller phone but was told they don't have the storage that I need.

Folding phone is the answer and I've been a fan of Motorola since my first smart phone. 
Curious what the battery life will be for the motorola? With it having a 7 inch screen and being only 3.5mm thick, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room for a battery that would make it through the day.

Bossman said:

Just an FYI, that link is a rendering from March 2018 when they first hinted at bringing it back. They recently submitted patent paperwork with drawings. It's supposed to be a $1500 limited edition Verizon exclusive.

Just an FYI, that link is a rendering from March 2018 when they first hinted at bringing it back. They recently submitted patent paperwork with drawings. It's supposed to be a $1500 limited edition Verizon exclusive.
I now own the latest and greatest Motorola Z via Verizon ... to the tune of about $800.

$1500 is a crap ton of money for a phone ... but every time I lift my leg, sit, or bend, my hip bone says "money is no object".

There are smaller phones with a ton of storage(this one has 128gb built in plus supports a 128gb memory card) that also don't break the bank. I can't imagine there are a lot of people that need more than 256gb of storage. If you can get by with 192gb(64gb+128gb) you have a ton more choices at even cheaper prices. For $125 or less it's just too easy a problem to fix if it bugs you at all at work. Plus, I think it's always nice to have a backup phone around the house....

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/GOME-K1-4-GB-128GB-ROM-Helio-P20-MTK6757-2-3-GHz-Octa-Core-5-2/32867636921.html?af=329643&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1551324485219&afref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kimovil.com%2Fto%2FF8FF9H&dp=f182430bf6fe256be846de85fb7fa50e&cv=47843&pvid=1d91d2e9-dfbe-407d-bb41-fea3eb74a2ec&mall_affr=pr3&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=fcf3063a89134431b64350c75d4a147c-1551324485219-00683-VnYZvQVf&rmsg=no_replacement_pid_sid_whitelist&scm=1007.23534.124737.0&terminal_id=42ddc8a7299f46aa9a9b2ac64a6f3b50

Not to dissuade you on buying a folding phone. These folding phones are the future imo. As it stand right now as soon as I get home I charge the phone and use a tablet because it's such a better user experience. If my phone was both pocketable and a tablet it would be great. Especially on days that you are flying, sitting at the auto shop, or any other time you are just sitting and waiting for extended periods of time. I actually travel with a small tablet when I fly for this exact reason. 

I'm always a little shocked when there are so many people that can't comprehend why someone would want to use a tablet instead of a phone. The problem was always the awkward size of walking around all day with a tablet imo. At least until now. Actually these first few models aren't especially compelling but I bet the 2nd generation will be.

All I know is, don't by the first generation of any of these phones.
That's true, but I'm pretty impressed with version 1.0 from Huawei......

https://www.t3.com/reviews/huawei-mate-x-review

.... I think the real problem with the current versions is they are too thick. These will be all the rage when you can fold them not once, but two or three times and then you'll have an actual 10+" tablet in your pocket. It just seems like too much cost, bulk, and complication to go from a 6.6" screen to an 8" screen.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the third version of an Oppo phone/tablet would the one that tempts me to actually make a purchase. Oppo devices typically offer great bang/buck.

Curious what the battery life will be for the motorola? With it having a 7 inch screen and being only 3.5mm thick, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room for a battery that would make it through the day.
It's supposed to have a 2730mAh battery, which is just way too small for a device at that price point imo.

The RAZR has the exact opposite problem with the tablet/phones convertibles imo. In the case of the tablets they started with a phone and just folded it out to a tablet that is too small. They should start with the 10" tablet and figure out a way to fold that down to a size of a phone(with multiple folds I would think). In the case of the RAZR it looks like they started with a 6.3" phone and folded it down to an awkward size. They should make it slightly bigger so that it has 7+" screen with a single fold and that would allow them the space to put in a bigger battery. I'd also love to see them use a transflective screen on the outside of the phone so you can see the time/messages/etc without the need to light the screen all the time. I have one of those displays on a smartwatch and the tiny battery lasts nearly a week.

Pointless device (in it's current guise). Once it rolls up like a scroll and is the size of a pen, maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread