What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flying Southwest for the first time. (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
Going to Vegas next week on SW. Any recommendations/strategy for the flight?

I've been told to check-in on-line 24 hours beforehand, to establish my spot in the boarding queue.

I've also been told people give you nasty glares if you try to sit in their row.

I assume the flights are nearly always full, so any reason not to take the first seat in my preferred position? I like window seats, which are less popular than aisles, I gather.

Definitely get the auto check in for $15 or whatever. More or less guarantees a window or aisle and if youre lucky you get a shot at an exit row seat. (you may not care. I assume most people here are my size and the extra room is a big difference maker)

Definitely early bird check in. Doesn’t guarantee an A boarding position but you can for sure get a window. And yes..grab the first window you see. Only time I’ve had an issue is when someone was “saving” a seat for a travel companion. Other than that everything is fair game.

You could choose your preferred seat if you get an early enough boarding and get stuck with some schlub that picks you. Or you could just assume a middle seat and then you get to choose who you sit between.

Get ready for pure luxury my friend. Champagne and caviar flow like water, the seats smell like a fresh flower field and are so comfortable you’ll not want to get off the plane. So much leg and shoulder room it’s like you’re flying solo and the flights are so on time the Japanese bullet trains look late and poorly run in comparison. Enjoy the experience, I’m super jealous!

Last edited:
Another vote for Earlybird check-in. It's probably like an extra $15 and saves you the hassle of having to time your 24-hour check-in refresh experience. You'll have a late-A boarding pass which means you'll certainly get a window seat if you want it.

Definitely get the auto check in for $15 or whatever. More or less guarantees a window or aisle and if youre lucky you get a shot at an exit row seat. (you may not care. I assume most people here are my size and the extra room is a big difference maker)
So I just got early bird - it says I will be checked in automatically - do I still need to check-in on-line exactly 24 hours to ensure a good seat?

Another vote for Earlybird check-in. It's probably like an extra $15 and saves you the hassle of having to time your 24-hour check-in refresh experience. You'll have a late-A boarding pass which means you'll certainly get a window seat if you want it.
As above, I just did it. So can I just show up at the airport with my single carry-on, with nothing else until then?

I assume the strategy is, for a 3-seat row, pick window next to morbidly obese aisle guy, so the middle seat is less palatable?

Going to Vegas next week on SW. Any recommendations/strategy for the flight?

I've been told to check-in on-line 24 hours beforehand, to establish my spot in the boarding queue.

I've also been told people give you nasty glares if you try to sit in their row.

I assume the flights are nearly always full, so any reason not to take the first seat in my preferred position? I like window seats, which are less popular than aisles, I gather.
There are bots that can check you in at the second you can. Just use one of those.

Talk to others near you in the queue about your lucky flight seat 27B, pre-order your snack/drink from the flight attendant upon boarding, and stack all other luggage in the aisle prior to stowing yours in the overhead compartment.

So I just got early bird - it says I will be checked in automatically - do I still need to check-in on-line exactly 24 hours to ensure a good seat?
No. The 'early bird' will check you in 36 hours prior, and then you are able to see your boarding position starting at the 24 hour mark. But your spot is established by the 'early bird'.

If they still have the backward facing seats, take one of of those. Then there’s a good chance you’ll be surrounded by a heavy drinking group of bachelorettes or bachelors. Or maybe just 5 frat bros re creating “the hangover”. Good times!

Assuming you are coming from Hawaii....you need the aisle or window for that long of flight....early bird is the answer and then put baggage above and have plenty of legroom.....when you board head down to where the attendants are standing...they are in the exit row and will gladly move and let you sit there....

It's been a little while since I flew them, but if I recall correctly it auto checks you in. I always set a timer anyway to check because I'm OCD.

So, first of all, I fly Southwest almost exclusively because we have plenty of routes where we are and I love their flexibility.

The ability to get seats or have issues is overblown, IMO. It's just not that big of a deal.

That said, for a flight from Hawaii where it's a longer flight, getting a good seat is a good idea.

Early bird check in is NOT what I would do. I would opt for Upgraded Boarding. It can only be done 24 hours before, it costs a little more than early bird check in, but you get one of the first 15 spots, and can likely get a first 5 spot from Hawaii. A1-A15 are reserved for business class/elite flyers, of which there just aren't that many. Instead, 24 hours before your flight, you get the upgraded boarding ($30-50) and then you can choose an exit row with all the leg room you want.

My plan would be, plan on checking in right at 24 hours before. Since your flight is originating in Hawaii (not in the middle of the country), if you do it right at 24 hours before, you can likely get a late A, or early B boarding spot. If the leg room isn't a big deal, then save yourself the money on Early Bird as it's not likely needed. If you want the leg room and/or you end up with a bad position (late B or C group), then pay for upgraded boarding.

We were in a sold-out flight last month. Didn't do early bird. Much to my wife's dismay. Ended up with a C assignment. To which I got the glare. Then we still got a whole row anyway. Wife- window, me-aisle, her best friend- in between.

We were in a sold-out flight last month. Didn't do early bird. Much to my wife's dismay. Ended up with a C assignment. To which I got the glare. Then we still got a whole row anyway. Wife- window, me-aisle, her best friend- in between.

All three of you had C and you got an entire row for the three of you? That is crazy good luck.

All three of you had C and you got an entire row for the three of you? That is crazy good luck.
It is, it was the last row available, and the second to last row on the plane. But once deep enough into the B's less people go to the back. They tend to settle for something further up rather than the 'same seat further back.'

Is this whole no seat assignment appealing to people or is this a cost thing or no better option thing b/c of where you fly from? I couldn't imagine not knowing beforehand that I have the seat type I desire. Btw, I'm tall.

Is this whole no seat assignment appealing to people or is this a cost thing or no better option thing b/c of where you fly from? I couldn't imagine not knowing beforehand that I have the seat type I desire. Btw, I'm tall.
They did "research" a long time ago and found that planes actually boarded faster this way.

Here you go

Faster boarding times
Over time, according to the airline, multiple studies have proven that its unallocated seating model has also improved boarding times. Faster boarding, in turn, generally contributes to more on-time departures and, ultimately, cost savings. The airline claims this translates into cheaper prices for passengers' tickets.

They did "research" a long time ago and found that planes actually boarded faster this way.

Here you go

Faster boarding times
Over time, according to the airline, multiple studies have proven that its unallocated seating model has also improved boarding times. Faster boarding, in turn, generally contributes to more on-time departures and, ultimately, cost savings. The airline claims this translates into cheaper prices for passengers' tickets.
But as a consumer, is this a pref or are you stuck with this b/c this is your only airline option?

Here you go

Faster boarding times
But as a consumer, is this a pref or are you stuck with this b/c this is your only airline option?
I like Southwest airlines.

I would guess over the years, I've flown with them at least 50 times. Can't really remember any issues. They are frequently on time, no issues with baggage, cost is good.

I've flown with Delta, American, United..... They are all fine, but the experience isn't anything better to me. And, the few times I've had issues (significant flight delays, cancellations, cost having to change tickets), it's been with those airlines.

Here you go

Faster boarding times
Oh, another benefit.

Southwest will run frequent sales. If I've purchased a ticket, and it's cheaper, I can get that refunded. It takes about a minute to do.

Thus, I often book flights early (a few months in advance) when I can and often end up saving $20-100+ by the time I actually fly.

Plus, with a Southwest credit card, we get a companion pass pretty easily which allows my wife and I to fly at the cost of 1 ticket everywhere we go with them. This literally saves us ~$2K per year, minimum. The credit card gets you 4 upgraded boardings per year, free WiFi, so there's lots of other reasons we choose to fly with them.

I LOVE their ease of booking flights. Ridiculously easy to navigate their site, change flights as needed, get refunds, etc.

Last edited:

Here you go

Faster boarding times

I would guess over the years, I've flown with them at least 50 times. Can't really remember any issues. They are frequently on time, no issues with baggage, cost is good.

I've flown with Delta, American, United..... They are all fine, but the experience isn't anything better to me. And, the few times I've had issues (significant flight delays, cancellations, cost having to change tickets), it's been with those airlines.
Never had the option flying out of Newark,NJ. As long as you're pretty much guaranteed to get an aisle or window (I'd rather not go on vacation if I had to sit in the middle) without having to be one of those people that's waiting in line 15 minutes before they even start boarding, it would be fine.

Here you go

Faster boarding times

Never had the option flying out of Newark,NJ. As long as you're pretty much guaranteed to get an aisle or window (I'd rather not go on vacation if I had to sit in the middle) without having to be one of those people that's waiting in line 15 minutes before they even start boarding, it would be fine.
I've never had a middle seat except for when I'm traveling with 3 of us. I've always gotten a decent boarding group. Here's why.

1) I set an alarm 24 hours before a flight. Checking in takes 30 seconds. Frequently that's enough to get B group or higher. The only times I've gotten a C boarding group is when I forgot or got distracted and didn't check in right away.
2) Southwest has "family boarding". Traveling with kids under 6 (and often they up it to kids under 12), you automatically get to board between the A and B group. This has been an option for us for the last 18+ years with kids that are currently aged 8 and 11 and 19. We are almost out of that window, but it's made traveling with them a non-issue.
3) The few times I got a C group, I just did Upgraded Boarding. Only needed it a handful of times, but again, becomes a non-issue except the cost. And with the credit card, it's reimbursed, so no cost.

The people that get stuck in middle seats must either never use Southwest, don't care, or are just too lazy/not proactive enough to avoid it. It takes minimal to no effort. That's why I said above it's overblown.

Here you go

Faster boarding times

I've never had a middle seat except for when I'm traveling with 3 of us. I've always gotten a decent boarding group. Here's why.

1) I set an alarm 24 hours before a flight. Checking in takes 30 seconds. Frequently that's enough to get B group or higher. The only times I've gotten a C boarding group is when I forgot or got distracted and didn't check in right away.
2) Southwest has "family boarding". Traveling with kids under 6 (and often they up it to kids under 12), you automatically get to board between the A and B group. This has been an option for us for the last 18+ years with kids that are currently aged 8 and 11 and 19. We are almost out of that window, but it's made traveling with them a non-issue.
3) The few times I got a C group, I just did Upgraded Boarding. Only needed it a handful of times, but again, becomes a non-issue except the cost. And with the credit card, it's reimbursed, so no cost.

The people that get stuck in middle seats must either never use Southwest, don't care, or are just too lazy/not proactive enough to avoid it. It takes minimal to no effort. That's why I said above it's overblown.
Is it just the 3 boarding groups? I always find the boarding process for United is just madness. There's like 6 groups but everyone is just standing there so you're constantly asking people the group they're in as you don't want to be rude and cut in front of someone in your boarding group. My new routine is to just check my bag and get an aisle seat and then wait until the very last minute to board so I can avoid all that craziness. Then I can just sit there at the gate and watch the show. Its like we've brought the coliseum to the airport.

How much does the Upgraded boarding cost?

Here you go

Faster boarding times
Oh, another benefit.

Southwest will run frequent sales. If I've purchased a ticket, and it's cheaper, I can get that refunded. It takes about a minute to do.

Thus, I often book flights early (a few months in advance) when I can and often end up saving $20-100+ by the time I actually fly.

Plus, with a Southwest credit card, we get a companion pass pretty easily which allows my wife and I to fly at the cost of 1 ticket everywhere we go with them. This literally saves us ~$2K per year, minimum. The credit card gets you 4 upgraded boardings per year, free WiFi, so there's lots of other reasons we choose to fly with them.

I LOVE their ease of booking flights. Ridiculously easy to navigate their site, change flights as needed, get refunds, etc.
Southwest is outstanding for leisure travel for all these reasons, especially if you're churning CC stuff and don't fly enough on business to have status. Companion Pass is also an absolutely amazing benefit if you travel for leisure a lot.

With high tier loyalty status on another airline, the only reason to fly Southwest would be cost or timing of a route, and unless you've found one of their sales I have found the past few years they aren't that much cheaper, if at all. Flying with and without status is a completely different experience on airlines. IMO, there are very few products with such a similar split between the experience of more or less the same thing. I'm at the point where I'd rather fly at an inconvenient time to get on my preferred airline.

Here you go

Faster boarding times

Is it just the 3 boarding groups? I always find the boarding process for United is just madness. There's like 6 groups but everyone is just standing there so you're constantly asking people the group they're in as you don't want to be rude and cut in front of someone in your boarding group. My new routine is to just check my back and get an aisle seat and then wait until the very last minute to board so I can avoid all that craziness. Then I can just sit there at the gate and watch the show. Its like we've brought the coliseum to the airport.

How much does the Upgraded boarding cost?
Yeah just A-B-C, although the families between A and B too. And you all line up by these signs, 1-60 in each group.

Even much of C you can expect to get your bag up overhead, although maybe not by your seat. I seem to recall the final C31-60 I'd assume no overhead space.

Here you go

Faster boarding times

Years ago I was flying home to Chicago (from Pittsburgh). Due to convenience (I live closer to O’hare than Midway) I almost always fly United.

So anyway, there were storms in the Pittsburgh area that night, and my United flight was delayed multiple times. I got the sense the flight would be canceled (call it a 6th sense after flying too often for 20+ years). So I see there is a Southwest flight leaving in 20 min. Boarding already. On time.

I go to the Southwest counter and ask “how likely are you to leave on time?” Agent looks at me confused. I clarify “weather is bad and other airlines are delaying or cancelling flights. Will this one fly on time?”

Agent says “umm, this flight is 100% leaving in about 18 minutes, and the doors will close in 8.

So I buy a ticket. Get a refund for my massively delayed United flight. Tell my co-worker “if you want to get home, fly Southwest with me.”

My SW flight leaves on time. Co-worker sticks with United. Flight gets canceled and doesn’t leave until the next morning.

Simple. Easy. Great experience. Wish that Midway was convenient for me, but it isn’t. Plus I fly a lot, often to places where Southwest isn’t the easiest for me. But man, would be great if it was.

Southwest is good as you know exactly what it is. Basic air flight with dependable service for often a little less money.

I fly enough that I get the early boarding spots usually. The best is on many of the planes the seat by the exit door window has no seat in front of it so it's ultimate leg room if you like that.

It's fine. I fly a lot of Delta too and the Sky Lounge and all that is nice. Fly Delta if you want that.

But SW is fine as they deliver on what they promise.

Southwest is good as you know exactly what it is. Basic air flight with dependable service for often a little less money.

I fly enough that I get the early boarding spots usually. The best is on many of the planes the seat by the exit door window has no seat in front of it so it's ultimate leg room if you like that.

It's fine. I fly a lot of Delta too and the Sky Lounge and all that is nice. Fly Delta if you want that.

But SW is fine as they deliver on what they promise.
This is how I feel too. SW is very clear about what they will deliver. And they do a good job of delivering consistently.

I liked them a lot more 20 years ago when a) their flights were a lot cheaper than most major airlines, consistently, and b) I had very little money so price was my #1 criteria.

Now I fly mostly United, sadly often enough that I have 1K status. When I fly this much, the airline status simply makes my life easier. Priority boarding is great. Upgrades are awesome. Being able to change flights for free most of the time is convenient. And when my luggage is lost or a flight has an issue, I call a phone number and the people on the other end of the line get stuff done. (Eg - our luggage was “lost” in Hawaii. The local folks “couldnt find it” for 2+ hours. I called the hot line, they tracked it 20 min later — at the wrong airport — and delivered it to me at a resort free of charge)

Will I still care about this stuff once retired? Nah. Doubtful. But now I do care because I fly like 100,000 miles a year and convenience/service matters. Once retired I hope to fly no more than 1x per month……and I’ll be more frugal again, and will probably default to flying SW again.

I fly American and have not been disappointed. Once flying SW about 20 years ago, they lost my luggage. Very poor communication, and I ended up getting it finally after 2 in the morning. It was completely trashed (in fact the entire suitcase came in a plastic bag duct taped together). No call when dropped off either, just left it in the hotel lobby.

This was a work trip and I was pretty traumatized to say the least. I have not flown Southwest since.

Portland, Maine has Southwest but is more expensive then Delta.
Not by a lot. I would have to do a flight plan of 6 hours to match Delta's
4 and a 1/2 hours. I would be flying to CMH so it is not a hub to hub airport.

I like the excitement of the unknown, and it primes me for haphazard gambling in Vegas.

JK. The flight was several hundred dollars cheaper for a direct, and I'm average height, but low maintenance.

I like the excitement of the unknown, and it primes me for haphazard gambling in Vegas.

JK. The flight was several hundred dollars cheaper for a direct, and I'm average height, but low maintenance.

You staying at The Cal?

Flying, but not dining....

Users who are viewing this thread