What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flooring Company Trying to Screw Me ***JULY 15th Update*** (1 Viewer)

Actually, they said they would credit me if I returned the “factory sealed” boxes if I returned them. I obviously had to open the boxes to check the color since they all had the same label. It’s also 20 boxes, each weighing about 45lbs, so close to 1/2 a ton. That’s a pretty big inconvenience. 
The product they said they would ship me is the dark color that I only had a few hundred sqft. So another couple hundred doesn’t help at all. 
At this point, I’m astonished that they haven’t accepted any responsibility or tried harder to rectify the situation. That’s why big box stores are putting these smaller places out of business. 
They're probably not worried about losing your future business because you went out of state, they know how much it will cost them to fix it and they hope you just go away. And they really have no reason not to until your credit card pulls their money, then they will check any voice mail or email you've left them for something they can use to get the money from capital one because thats exactly what you would do and then if all that fails you might hear from them.  

I’ll try and keep this short…

I ordered online 1500 sq ft of flooring from a family owned flooring company for the upstairs of my house. This company had great reviews and I spoke on the phone with them for about 15 minutes before I placed the order.  The purchase came to $4960 and was delivered very quickly by a freight company. Upon receiving the flooring, each box was labeled with the same manufacturing name and product number. My contractor laid about 1200 sq ft, and when we got to the bottom of the pallet, the final 300 sq ft is a completely different color. 
We had enough of the first color to do everything but the last 2 bedrooms. I contacted the company who told me they do not have any more of the first color and only 150 sq ft of the second color, which doesn’t help. 
They asked me what it would take to resolve the situation, so I responded with a credit for my order as well as compensation for what I paid the contractor since I might end up needing to start over. They came back with only giving me the extra flooring at no cost. That’s obviously no help. 
So, where do I go from here? I’m in Maryland and the flooring company is in the mid-west. I can leave negative online reviews and contact the BBB, but that doesn’t exactly help my situation. 
Thoughts?
Feel bad for you when something like this happens.  Picking out flooring usually is stresfull as it is a big comittment.   When we did our first home the contractor gypped us because he put a lower grade in that what we asked for.  color was pretty much the same but we found it was a thinner less expensive product.    Took some time but we were compensated for it but stuck with the cheaper flooring.

I’ll try and keep this short…

I ordered online 1500 sq ft of flooring from a family owned flooring company for the upstairs of my house. This company had great reviews and I spoke on the phone with them for about 15 minutes before I placed the order.  The purchase came to $4960 and was delivered very quickly by a freight company. Upon receiving the flooring, each box was labeled with the same manufacturing name and product number. My contractor laid about 1200 sq ft, and when we got to the bottom of the pallet, the final 300 sq ft is a completely different color. 
We had enough of the first color to do everything but the last 2 bedrooms. I contacted the company who told me they do not have any more of the first color and only 150 sq ft of the second color, which doesn’t help. 
They asked me what it would take to resolve the situation, so I responded with a credit for my order as well as compensation for what I paid the contractor since I might end up needing to start over. They came back with only giving me the extra flooring at no cost. That’s obviously no help. 
So, where do I go from here? I’m in Maryland and the flooring company is in the mid-west. I can leave negative online reviews and contact the BBB, but that doesn’t exactly help my situation. 
Thoughts?
Try finding another company who has what you need and tell them the situation. Tell them you need X amount to finish the project and this is what I paid the other company. Go back to the other company and ask them to compensate for the price you gave the new company and send back the flooring they gave you with the wrong color. If the company really cares about their image and business and they become combative you can tell them you will leave a bad review on their company and threaten some sort of legal action. I'd only go legal route as a last resort though. I think getting the rest of what you need though some where else and asking the original company for compensation and sending what they gave you wrong back is fair though. 

Try finding another company who has what you need and tell them the situation. Tell them you need X amount to finish the project and this is what I paid the other company. Go back to the other company and ask them to compensate for the price you gave the new company and send back the flooring they gave you with the wrong color. If the company really cares about their image and business and they become combative you can tell them you will leave a bad review on their company and threaten some sort of legal action. I'd only go legal route as a last resort though. I think getting the rest of what you need though some where else and asking the original company for compensation and sending what they gave you wrong back is fair though. 
This is a fantastic idea. 

This is a fantastic idea. 
Like I said legal is a last resort. My dad is a contractor (independent) and had a similar issue as yours. He went somewhere else and got the rest and asked the original to compensate that and he was sending back the product that was wrong to them. The original company became combative. I was standing right there with him and he told them well my son has your webpage up and has a pretty bad review ready to be sent if you are gonna be this unprofessional. And if you want to go further I can get my lawyer involved. The company changed their tune fast. 

However the original party without legal is what my dad did for something a few yrs ago on a project and both companies managed to work something out. I think the original ended up giving the new Company the compensation for what my Dad was gonna pay them for the rest of the product he needed. Because of this the two companies then got into a working partnership by the time my dad went to order from them again. So sometimes it is beneficial to a company for this too. 

I don't have any advice to offer but good luck. 

I will say that Mannington makes an excellent product I installed 12 boxes of Mannington Adura Max Apex Luxury Vinyl last year and love it. I also ordered mine online out of state for 3.79 sq/ft. 

Mannington Adura Max Apex Hilltop Trail

This only works if the first company answers his calls/e-mails.  If they ghost, the credit card solution seems to be the best call.

I logged into my Capital One account this morning and noticed that the charge was put back on my card on Tuesday under “purchase adjustment”. I have to wait until 8am est before I can talk to a live person. 
Any thoughts? It seems unlikely to be able to sue an out of state company in small claims court. Not sure what my options are if Capital One is a dead end. 

I logged into my Capital One account this morning and noticed that the charge was put back on my card on Tuesday under “purchase adjustment”. I have to wait until 8am est before I can talk to a live person. 
Any thoughts? It seems unlikely to be able to sue an out of state company in small claims court. Not sure what my options are if Capital One is a dead end. 
Was the entire amount put back on CC? Are you basically out 300 ft? I'd call Capital One back but you may be SOL on that front. 

If the original company won't return calls, file a Better Business Bureau complaint. If the company has a Facebook presence leave a bad review. It ain't much but unless you're willing to go Small Claims OOS then I don't know what you can do.

Was the entire amount put back on CC? Are you basically out 300 ft? I'd call Capital One back but you may be SOL on that front. 

If the original company won't return calls, file a Better Business Bureau complaint. If the company has a Facebook presence leave a bad review. It ain't much but unless you're willing to go Small Claims OOS then I don't know what you can do.
Entire charge was put back on. Yeah, I’ll call Capital One again this morning. Very disappointing. 
The company sent me an email last week (I’m assuming after they noticed the rescinded payment) saying they filed a claim on my behalf with the manufacturer. 
BBB and online reviews are now a must. 

Filed a complaint with BBB this morning and requested a refund. 
Contacted Capital One when they opened and they confirmed that the company disputed my claim. Capital One asked me to upload invoices, all communication with the company, pictures and any other relevant information through a link they emailed me. I just finished doing that and was told I’d hear something in a few days. 

Filed a complaint with BBB this morning and requested a refund. 
Contacted Capital One when they opened and they confirmed that the company disputed my claim. Capital One asked me to upload invoices, all communication with the company, pictures and any other relevant information through a link they emailed me. I just finished doing that and was told I’d hear something in a few days. 
So, a couple of questions:

1. Did you end up buying the remaining product you needed and finish the job?

2. Did you try and deny payment for the ENTIRE job to the original flooring company or just the part they delivered wrong?

3. When they charged you again was it for the materials you used or did they also charge you for the part they sent wrong?

So, a couple of questions:

1. Did you end up buying the remaining product you needed and finish the job?

2. Did you try and deny payment for the ENTIRE job to the original flooring company or just the part they delivered wrong?

3. When they charged you again was it for the materials you used or did they also charge you for the part they sent wrong?
1. I bought the remaining flooring from a different company. The flooring is a model year newer and each board is 4” longer. Not a huge deal since I’m staggering. Color is the same. 
2. The credit card company can only do the entire amount. The vendor could negotiate a different amount, but they filed their claim for the full amount. I had already asked for a partial credit from the original company, which was denied. 
3. They charged for the entire order. 

Am I the only one who would expect my contractor to solve this since they didn't check all of the material before they started installing?  
They definitely needed to check everything but the mislabeling is an issue.  However for many flooring installs especially with product that varies the contractor should look at every box so they can have a plan for placement to smooth out the variations.  Not sure if this is warranted for this install but possible.  

That being said since the owner purchased the products separately the contractor really doesn't have any responsibility for fixing the product issue.  It just would have been helpful if it was noticed before the install started.

Your first post says the company had great reviews. Wherever you found those reviews, I’d go back and leave the lowest reviews possible with explanation. 

kinda sucks your contractor went forward with the differnt wood and cut it to size. makes it harder to return
Language barrier aside, when we realized it was a different color, I said to put a box down so we could see the severity of contrast. I agree about the cutting and how they tried to transition it. 

I thought you realized the issue before the wrong stuff was installed?
No. Picture a pallet with 59 boxes on it. All 59 having the same label on the side. It wasn’t until we used the first 40 boxes on top that we noticed the bottom boxes were the different color. It wasn’t like it was a box mixed in here and there. They were all together. 

No. Picture a pallet with 59 boxes on it. All 59 having the same label on the side. It wasn’t until we used the first 40 boxes on top that we noticed the bottom boxes were the different color. It wasn’t like it was a box mixed in here and there. They were all together. 
Understood.  But when you opened the box and realized it was wrong did you then install the wrong material? And if you did, why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Understood.  But when you opened the box and realized it was wrong did you then install the wrong material? And if you did, why?
The contractor called me and told me it was a different color. I wasn’t home and didn’t know exactly what we were dealing with. I asked him to lay some pieces so we could see if the transition was workable. I didn’t realize they were going to cut any pieces. 

kinda sucks your contractor went forward with the differnt wood and cut it to size. makes it harder to return
I’d be ok eating the cost of the box that was cut and laid down. It’s less than $100. Lol I would have had a few boxes extra anyway from ordering over the sqft needed for waste. 

The contractor called me and told me it was a different color. I wasn’t home and didn’t know exactly what we were dealing with. I asked him to lay some pieces so we could see if the transition was workable. I didn’t realize they were going to cut any pieces. 
I mean contractors have cell phones, these phones tend to have cameras.  

This sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME to me, nickel plated instead of chrome finish, whatever.  It gets sorted out by the contractor.  I figure that's their basic job.  WTF is happening here that it can't get sorted one way or the other.  SCC is the route I'd go and name both the contractor and the flooring company and make them file briefs.  

This is just a mess where no one wants to claim any responsibility or help take action.

1)  Contractor didn't need to lay any more flooring down.  It could have been set right next to it and you can see it clearly doesn't match and clearly won't look right.  If he at all made it sound like it "might work" over the phone, he's an idiot.  If that box costs you money for being cut, that's on him.

2)  The flooring company ordered the floor.  It clearly came mislabeled and that part isn't their fault.  But, they sold you the floor and they deal directly with the manufacturer in some form.  It's on them to help make this right.  They should be making calls to get it fixed, get the right floor, refund you the amount, etc.

3)  The manufacturer is the one with the most blame as they sent the wrong product.  They have to send the right product or ultimately compensate for what's been done because they did not send what was paid for.  However, you shouldn't be the one dealing with them because you didn't order from them.  That said, if you're able to contact them, explain the situation and they should find a way to make it right.

If none of these people want to help fix the situation, then your first point of attack as the flooring company.  That's who you did business with.  You've filed the complaint and you've spoken to your credit card company.  If they want to go after the manufacturer, let them do that on their own time and dime.  And, if you have any additional losses due to the contractor cutting the flooring, that's on the contractor.  He just seems like an idiot laying that floor down. 

I'd be pissed at the contractor

I mean contractors have cell phones, these phones tend to have cameras.  

This sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME to me, nickel plated instead of chrome finish, whatever.  It gets sorted out by the contractor.  I figure that's their basic job.  WTF is happening here that it can't get sorted one way or the other.  SCC is the route I'd go and name both the contractor and the flooring company and make them file briefs.  
Yep what kind of contractor lays that down and feels good about it?

avoiding injuries said:
I will likely never see the el carpintero again. It’s been a month and they are long gone to other jobs. 
I have a gringo who will be completing the job. 
I would assume you're going to rip out that mismatched flooring and replace it with a matching color...

I would assume you're going to rip out that mismatched flooring and replace it with a matching color...
Yes. I left it since it’s in my daughter’s room, and had I removed it already she would have to have been walking on the subfloor for the past month. 
I already have the matching wood that I got from a different vendor. 

Users who are viewing this thread