What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fishing - What do I need? (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
My fishing experience is limited to vacations as a kid and a few times in my adult years. Have had great times and many wonderful memories.

Most of my rod reels and tackle have been Walmart specials. So as you can see my knowledge of what to get was probably based more on color schemes of the rod and reels than actual quality.

This year I would like to replace a lot of my golf time with some fishing. I do not want to spend a lot of money but I want to get the best that I can for what I can afford. I would like a rod, a reel and some tackle for around a $100 to $150.

I will be fishing in a large reservoir and a creek that flows out of that reservoir. All fishing will be done from the shore for the most part although I do have access to a kayak but want to get used to it before I start taking it out on the reservoir. Bass, crappie, perch, saugeye, are the type of fish I have read about in these particular bodies of water.

What kind of gear should I be looking for?

Thanks!

My fishing experience is limited to vacations as a kid and a few times in my adult years. Have had great times and many wonderful memories.

Most of my rod reels and tackle have been Walmart specials. So as you can see my knowledge of what to get was probably based more on color schemes of the rod and reels than actual quality.

This year I would like to replace a lot of my golf time with some fishing. I do not want to spend a lot of money but I want to get the best that I can for what I can afford. I would like a rod, a reel and some tackle for around a $100 to $150.

I will be fishing in a large reservoir and a creek that flows out of that reservoir. All fishing will be done from the shore for the most part although I do have access to a kayak but want to get used to it before I start taking it out on the reservoir. Bass, crappie, perch, saugeye, are the type of fish I have read about in these particular bodies of water.

Thanks!
Shore fishing you'll probably want a spinner rod/reel. Maybe something a little longer to cast out?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the limited budget, I might suggest hitting garage sales to get the basics. A quick search tells me that a saugeye might be the same as to what we refer to as sauger in the upper midwest. I would find a 5 gallon bucket to be used for the fish you plan to keep.

For bass and saugeye, you should be able to get away with the same bait. I'd suggest a couple of different colored Rapala lures for that. They are probably going to cost you $5-$10 a piece. Sucks when you lose one of those on a snag that you cant free!

For crappie and perch, you best bet will probably be live bait (worms or minnows) attached to a hook with a jighead. Make sure you arent buying ones that are too big. It sounds like you plan to fish the same area for the most part. I'd stop by and see what others are using there or ask at a local bait shop.

my brother used to work at Play It Again Sports and he'd get full tackle boxes (including lures, hooks, weights, swivels, etc.), rods, and reels in all the time. in addition to yard/garage sales, that might be a good place to look for used gear and get set up in your price range.

my brother used to work at Play It Again Sports and he'd get full tackle boxes (including lures, hooks, weights, swivels, etc.), rods, and reels in all the time. in addition to yard/garage sales, that might be a good place to look for used gear and get set up in your price range.
I have never seen them selling this type of stuff at play it again. I'll have to keep an eye out for myself.

I have never seen them selling this type of stuff at play it again. I'll have to keep an eye out for myself.
Craigslist is a good place too. The rod/reel you choose isn't that important for general fishing. Any old spinning reel with medium action will work in most circumstances. Catching fish is more about bait, location, time, and technique.

I think you need to up your budget a little for a quality rod and reel with tackle. Used to do a lot of stream fishing with a Fenwick and assorted Shimano and Cabelas reels.

Patience

Learn how to tie a palomar knot

Learn how to texas rig

If youre fishing from the shore you're going to want something that can cast pretty far. Try to get a 7' rod if you can and use weights or lures that are at least 3/8 oz

Bug spray

Needle nose plyers & a knife

Just get either a light or medium action Ugly Stick with a Shimano Sienna/Sedona spinning reel. No need to get super fancy before you even know how long this hobby will stick. The gear is less important than technique/knowledge.

For the limited budget, I might suggest hitting garage sales to get the basics. A quick search tells me that a saugeye might be the same as to what we refer to as sauger in the upper midwest. I would find a 5 gallon bucket to be used for the fish you plan to keep.

For bass and saugeye, you should be able to get away with the same bait. I'd suggest a couple of different colored Rapala lures for that. They are probably going to cost you $5-$10 a piece. Sucks when you lose one of those on a snag that you cant free!

For crappie and perch, you best bet will probably be live bait (worms or minnows) attached to a hook with a jighead. Make sure you arent buying ones that are too big. It sounds like you plan to fish the same area for the most part. I'd stop by and see what others are using there or ask at a local bait shop.
This.

The local bait shops are always very helpful and will tell you what is biting and what everyone is using. No sense buying all these lures if it isn't biting. Especially when Raplas are $5 to $10 each. Have your morning coffee in the bait shop and they will hook you up.

Catching fish is more about bait, location, time, and technique.
:goodposting:

You can head to the local reservoir with this and catch a bunch of fish with the right bait, at the right time and in the right location.

I'm no expert, but if you're really itching to spend some extra money, I believe Abu Garcia and Daiwa generally provide some good quality rods/reels well within the price range you mentioned. As others have mentioned, I'd look for a spinning reel to start. IMHO, though, you really don't need anything more than some fairly basic Zebco or Shakespeare gear (which you may already have if your current stuff is from Walmart).

And if the fishing bug does bite you, you will definitely be glad you have that kayak available.

Well, one fella came close. Went by the name of Homer. Seven feet tall he was, with arms like tree trunks. His eyes were like steel, cold, hard. Had a shock of hair, red like the fires of Hell.

And if the fishing bug does bite you, you will definitely be glad you have that kayak available.
So I'll tail on to this even though it might seem kind of obvious...

Get and WEAR an f-ing life jacket. All the time. Especially if fishing in a reservoir.

I started getting back into fishing heavily this past summer. I fish exclusively from a 12' kayak on 2 of the big reservoirs here in central NJ, Spruce Run and Round Valley. Prior to reservoir fishing, I used my yaks mostly in the Shendoah river when I lived in VA. It amazes me the number of people who don't wear life jackets on reservoirs. "It's so calm. There's no way I'll ever fall out," people say. I'll say this...sure, you're probably more likely to fall out in a river with small rapids...but what happens when you fall out? Most of the time, it's a 20 yard swim, or it's staying afloat for a few yards until you can just stand up. What happens when you fall out of a kayak in the middle of an 80' deep reservoir? It's a LONG swim unless you've mastered the art of a deep-water re-entry. I can tell you I haven't mastered the latter...I've tried it in a controlled setting. It's VERY difficult to get back into a yak in deep water. A guy drowned in Round Valley this past fall. He was in a kayak, and fell out in clear view of some other boaters, and within reach of his kayak. He wasn't a strong swimmer. He tried to swim for it after he couldn't get back in his kayak, and he drowned. They found him the next day after an extensive underwater search.

My point? Reservoirs are deceptively dangerous. Winds can kick up on the bigger ones and bring some crazy chop. Distances to shore are often deceptively far. Water is deep. Water is much colder. Just be safe.

Patience

Learn how to tie a palomar knot

Learn how to texas rig

If youre fishing from the shore you're going to want something that can cast pretty far. Try to get a 7' rod if you can and use weights or lures that are at least 3/8 oz

Bug spray

Needle nose plyers & a knife
:goodposting:

I'll add to the patience part - I hit the reservoirs probably 10x last summer, trying to catch Round Valley trout and some hybrid stripers on Spruce Run. In 10 trips, I caught 0 trout (not even a bite) and 1 6" hybrid. I caught about 5 catfish, and a small perch. That's it. I swear I remember it being more fun and catching a lot more as a kid...

Ultra light rod and reel.

You don't need a really long rod. In fact, if you have brush/trees/obstacles around the shore you want something that you can cast easily. I would start with on open face reel and ultra light rod. Buy some ultra light spinners, jigs, worms and light weights. The majority of your fishing for game fish will be within 20 feet of the bank. No need to cast 150 yards out into the middle of the reservoir. Find out if it is ultra clear water, muddy, or whatever that will determine what kind of baits you will use. For the most fun get some topwater lures that you can use early in the am, and late in the pm. GL

My two must-haves are 1. Beer and 2. A friend who knows how to fish.

With those things I really enjoy fishing. Without them, not interested.

Get and WEAR an f-ing life jacket. All the time. Especially if fishing in a reservoir.

I started getting back into fishing heavily this past summer. I fish exclusively from a 12' kayak on 2 of the big reservoirs here in central NJ, Spruce Run and Round Valley. Prior to reservoir fishing, I used my yaks mostly in the Shendoah river when I lived in VA. It amazes me the number of people who don't wear life jackets on reservoirs. "It's so calm. There's no way I'll ever fall out," people say. I'll say this...sure, you're probably more likely to fall out in a river with small rapids...but what happens when you fall out? Most of the time, it's a 20 yard swim, or it's staying afloat for a few yards until you can just stand up. What happens when you fall out of a kayak in the middle of an 80' deep reservoir? It's a LONG swim unless you've mastered the art of a deep-water re-entry. I can tell you I haven't mastered the latter...I've tried it in a controlled setting. It's VERY difficult to get back into a yak in deep water. A guy drowned in Round Valley this past fall. He was in a kayak, and fell out in clear view of some other boaters, and within reach of his kayak. He wasn't a strong swimmer. He tried to swim for it after he couldn't get back in his kayak, and he drowned. They found him the next day after an extensive underwater search.

My point? Reservoirs are deceptively dangerous. Winds can kick up on the bigger ones and bring some crazy chop. Distances to shore are often deceptively far. Water is deep. Water is much colder. Just be safe.
Good advice. :thumbup:

I'm going to be outfitting a kayak for fishing this Spring. Got away from the hobby in the last few years but have made a pledge to get back into it this year. I already have most of the equipment, including a nice life vest.

Do you use an anchor with your kayak?

Pffffft. It's all about time and place. And attitude. :mellow:

Find somewhere you'd like to spend some time relaxing. The only way I've discovered to really relax is to be involved with something important that everybody knows can't be interrupted and that's generally been fishing--so you'll want someplace with water. This might be a pond, or a stream, or a river, or a beach or a boat--there's a bunch of options here as long as you've got water.

After that you'll want something to attract the fish--that would be the bait. Most of my experience has been with salt water fishing and shrimp has often been the bait of choice--but if they're cut up then pieces of another fish work pretty well too. Of course it should be something the fish recognize, so if you're inland and it's fresh water then you'll want something else like worms or grubs to stick on the hook.

Oh. You'll want a hook. Tie it to a string that's long enough to throw some distance into the water, maybe on the end of a long stick. You can find some fancy ones in the stores if you prefer--they're known as rods.

Then you'll need a bucket, to hold all the fish you catch. A lid is optional, but ice is pretty important because when you catch your first fish you'll likely still be there awhile, and you need them to be fresh enough to eat later. Since fishing generally takes a lot of patience, don't let that ice go to waste--toss a few drinks in there. You'll be thirsty sometime just waiting on those fish to bite. I have found that beer generally does well but there's plenty of choices here.

That's it--simple as it gets! If the time is right, and a good spot to fish from--you're set! On a real good day when the beer is just right I might get comfortable enough that I don't bother baiting the hook--then there's no interruptions. If the family is really hungry for fish you can generally pick some up on the way home. :cool:

I would just go get a cheapo spinner rod/reel combo from Walmart. Once you get into it invest in a nicer rod, and use it as your 2nd.

If you are anywhere near one of those Bass Pro or Cabelas superstores, that would be a good place to get gear. You'd be at the low end of everything but its still good stuff. They are great fun to visit, and the staff in the fishing section is usually helpful.

Just get either a light or medium action Ugly Stick with a Shimano Sienna/Sedona spinning reel. No need to get super fancy before you even know how long this hobby will stick. The gear is less important than technique/knowledge.
This...an ugly stick is a great versatile rod for the price. Should be able to get a combo like this for $60 or so.

I'm going to be outfitting a kayak for fishing this Spring. Got away from the hobby in the last few years but have made a pledge to get back into it this year. I already have most of the equipment, including a nice life vest.

Me personally, no. A few reasons...Round Valley Reservoir, one of the ones I fish at, is nearly 100' deep in some spots, so I don't think the anchor I have would even reach. Secondly, Spruce Run is full of guys who drift. If you're the only anchored boat in a field of drifters, people tend to get pissed because they have to adjust their drift to go around you.

Some of the guys who fish in Round Valley do anchor though. They double-anchor so they stay over the same spot. Basically you anchor in one place, then drift, and anchor in another. Two points keeps you from swaying. They then tend to fish multiple rods at different depths to find out where the fish are as they tend to lie around the thermocline.

Thanks!
What part of the country are you in? And what reservoir will you be fishing in the most?

Me personally, no. A few reasons...Round Valley Reservoir, one of the ones I fish at, is nearly 100' deep in some spots, so I don't think the anchor I have would even reach. Secondly, Spruce Run is full of guys who drift. If you're the only anchored boat in a field of drifters, people tend to get pissed because they have to adjust their drift to go around you.

Some of the guys who fish in Round Valley do anchor though. They double-anchor so they stay over the same spot. Basically you anchor in one place, then drift, and anchor in another. Two points keeps you from swaying. They then tend to fish multiple rods at different depths to find out where the fish are as they tend to lie around the thermocline.
Makes sense. I would be hitting up small reservoirs. Around here a lot of people drift in boats along the damn face for walleye. I would be fishing timber and other points for bass, panfish, and northern. Maybe catfish at night.

Fyi fishing two lines in summer is illegal in some states (MN).
I think in general you need to know your state's laws. In NJ, it's 3 lines max. I think technically it's 3 hooks, so if you run something like an Alabama Rig, it can only have 3 hooks. I've only got room for 2 rods on my kayak, so I usually just run 2 rods anyway. One with a slip-bobber just casted out and left to float, usually with some live bait on it, and one that I actively work with either a Rapala, some kind of spinner/buzz bait (Panther Martin) or sometimes a Dardevle spoon if I want to try and catch a pike. (key word try as I haven't caught one yet.)

Fyi fishing two lines in summer is illegal in some states (MN).
I think in general you need to know your state's laws. In NJ, it's 3 lines max. I think technically it's 3 hooks, so if you run something like an Alabama Rig, it can only have 3 hooks. I've only got room for 2 rods on my kayak, so I usually just run 2 rods anyway. One with a slip-bobber just casted out and left to float, usually with some live bait on it, and one that I actively work with either a Rapala, some kind of spinner/buzz bait (Panther Martin) or sometimes a Dardevle spoon if I want to try and catch a pike. (key word try as I haven't caught one yet.)
Can you troll with your kayak? Troll around some likely places in the early morning with a Rapala crankbait. You'll catch some pike. Good workout also. My son and I had a lot of fun doing that up in the Boundary Waters out of a canoe.

I like to spend extra on a nice reel (I use Penn Conflicts for both salt and fresh water) and take good care of it and then go cheap on rods (ugly stick or house brand) because Im always breaking the tips and/or guides.

For the best intel on tackle/gear, find a local forum on fishing the exact spot you will be. People love to talk (brag).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing quite like that moment, standing there in waders, fitfully waving your rod, watching the object of your desire circle as it eyes your bait. All you really need is your sense of fun.......oh, wait - wrong thread.

Thanks!
What part of the country are you in? And what reservoir will you be fishing in the most?
Columbus, OH. Hoover Reservoir.

Thanks for all of the input! Perhaps I will post some pics of the fish later this year?

Users who are viewing this thread