What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Time IDP Player (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Wright

Footballguy
I am doing a first time money league in IDP format.

Here are the rules..

NO waiver wire. Pick up free agents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

No team defenses. This year it's IDP's to make or break your team. One linebacker required + one defensive player of your choice, regardless of position.

If your QB gets hurt and leaves the game, you'll automatically get his backup's point total without wasting a roster spot with a 2nd stringer.

Im usually the type of drafter to draft RB, RB, WR in that order and grab a late rd QB like Big Ben or Jay Cutler who has upside to put up steady pts.

The problem im having is when to decide to draft a defensive player (what round to start selecting) and what players should I be targeting?

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

2 IDPs total?

They have no value whatsoever.

Should be just about the last 2 players you draft.

You then should pick up whoever looks like a monster (from out of the blue, that is getting solid recommendations from the FBGs staff rankings) after the first week. Supply is totally overwhelming the demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup: IDP leagues.

you will probably get better advice in the IDP forum.

That said, a lot depends on your scoring system and roster requirements. Generally speaking, I usually try to get an elite LB and/or DL in the middle rounds right around when I have most of--if not all--my starting offensive players and then fill out the rest later in the draft. That's not very in-depth advice, but without knowing your roster requirements or scoring rules it's hard to give much more.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the 2 total IDP players. I'd maybe take a guy like Willis and if you can't get an elite D player just wait it out and take 2 late in the draft. No reason to carry backups with a roster that requires only 2 IDPs and allows FA pickups whenever. If it's a tackle-heavy league you might be best served taking 2 LBs. My advice is to expand that defensive roster a bit. You don't have to go crazy, but 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB adds a little more value to defensive players and rewards teams that make a point of grabbing elite defensive players.

If you're only starting two, as long as the scoring isn't too lopsided in their favor it won't even matter. It's like picking another kicker, but possibly more consistent. Go for ILB's, as long as tackles are the focus.

You should get them to change how many you can grab. Go with 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1Flex. There's no point in IDP if you only start 2 weekly. If you can't convince them to go with more grab 2 MLB (ILB for 3-4) from bad teams in run first divisions (Browns, cards, rams, Indy are probably some of the best places though I can't remember some of the names)

Here is the scoring system..

Passing Yards

25 yards per point; 4 points at 300 yards; 5 points at 400 yards

Passing Touchdowns

Interceptions

Rushing Yards

10 yards per point; 4 points at 100 yards; 5 points at 150 yards; 6 points at 200 yards

Rushing Touchdowns

Reception Yards

10 yards per point; 4 points at 100 yards

Reception Touchdowns

Return Touchdowns

2-Point Conversions

Fumbles Lost

Offensive Fumble Return TD

Kickers

League Value

Yahoo! Default Value

Field Goals 0-19 Yards

Field Goals 20-29 Yards

Field Goals 30-39 Yards

Field Goals 40-49 Yards

Field Goals 50+ Yards

Point After Attempt Made

Defensive Players

League Value

Yahoo! Default Value

Tackle Solo

Tackle Assist

Sack

Interception

Fumble Force

Fumble Recovery

Defensive Touchdown

Safety

Pass Defended

Block Kick

Tackles for Loss

Turnover Return Yards

10 yards per point

Considering these players will be some of my last players chosen, who should i target?

George Wilson?

Jairus Byrd?

Nick Barnett?

Jarrod Mayo?

London Fletcher?

Any Suggestions?

If its only two, and stays that way, stay away from DB's and DL. Go for MLB's and ILB's. Consistent tacklers are your best bet, INT's and even sacks are too inconsistent to rely on when you only start two IDP's total.

Considering these players will be some of my last players chosen, who should i target?Any Suggestions?
Tackle-heavy scoring system. GRab a couple LBs. Really with that scoring system just take a look at the top tacklers from last year or grab a decent 4-3 Mike or 3-4 ILB. Integrating IDPs when it's only 2 starters w/ a tackle-heavy scoring system isn't the best way to do it, imo. Expand the defensive roster and require teams to start DL and DB and I think it's a lot more enjoyable. Right now you can just get 2 tackling machines at LB and that's that. Don't even worry about DBs or DLs or LBs like Ware, Miller, Woodley, Matthews, or Harrison in your current format.

Yeah go inside linebacker. Just follow Dr. Jene's tiered IDP rankings for the linebackers and you'll be fine. Take them in the last few rounds

Yeah go inside linebacker. Just follow Dr. Jene's tiered IDP rankings for the linebackers and you'll be fine. Take them in the last few rounds
I actually just found her, thread.. Alot of good rankings in there im going to follow and use for draft time!

Here is the scoring system..Passing Yards25 yards per point; 4 points at 300 yards; 5 points at 400 yardsPassing Touchdowns4Interceptions-1Rushing Yards10 yards per point; 4 points at 100 yards; 5 points at 150 yards; 6 points at 200 yardsRushing Touchdowns6Reception Yards10 yards per point; 4 points at 100 yardsReception Touchdowns6Return Touchdowns62-Point Conversions2Fumbles Lost-2Offensive Fumble Return TD6KickersLeague ValueYahoo! Default ValueField Goals 0-19 Yards3Field Goals 20-29 Yards3Field Goals 30-39 Yards3Field Goals 40-49 Yards4Field Goals 50+ Yards5Point After Attempt Made1Defensive PlayersLeague ValueYahoo! Default ValueTackle Solo1Tackle Assist0.5Sack2Interception3Fumble Force2Fumble Recovery2Defensive Touchdown6Safety2Pass Defended1Block Kick2Tackles for Loss10Turnover Return Yards10 yards per point0Considering these players will be some of my last players chosen, who should i target?George Wilson?Jairus Byrd?Nick Barnett?Jarrod Mayo?London Fletcher?Any Suggestions?
:popcorn:

I actually just found her, thread.. Alot of good rankings in there im going to follow and use for draft time!

I'm too lazy to check, but I don't think they've been updated recently. Check out the idp tiers article linked on the home page.

Users who are viewing this thread