What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #1 - Alien (6 Viewers)

They seem to be polarizing, but I give a lot of love to both Blair Witch and Scream for restarting a very stale genre that I love. While both may have been passed over on my personal lists for other movies that are similar, I still love them for that reason and still have them in my top 40s. I've said it before, but IMO we are in the best time for horror since that '70-'84 era, and those 2 are a big reason why.

ETA: I also saw both in the theater opening weekend, and both times it was great and it felt like horror was finally back and could be great again.

They seem to be polarizing, but I give a lot of love to both Blair Witch and Scream for restarting a very stale genre that I love. While both may have been passed over on my personal lists for other movies that are similar, I still love them for that reason and still have them in my top 40s. I've said it before, but IMO we are in the best time for horror since that '70-'84 era, and those 2 are a big reason why.

ETA: I also saw both in the theater opening weekend, and both times it was great and it felt like horror was finally back and could be great again.
I remember seeing Scream in a nearly-empty theater in the middle of the day (I was in grad school at the time) and just smiling all the way through. I didn't expect a Wes Craven film to be that insanely good and fun and I was very pleasantly surprised.

I remember seeing Scream in a nearly-empty theater in the middle of the day (I was in grad school at the time) and just smiling all the way through. I didn't expect a Wes Craven film to be that insanely good and fun and I was very pleasantly surprised.
After long writing off the series, I finally got around to watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare in the last few years, and you can see the Scream DNA in that one. He has a few I was thinking about for my last tier of movies - New Nightmare, Serpent and the Rainbow, and People Under the Stairs. All I have grown to appreciate more in my old age.

After long writing off the series, I finally got around to watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare in the last few years, and you can see the Scream DNA in that one. He has a few I was thinking about for my last tier of movies - New Nightmare, Serpent and the Rainbow, and People Under the Stairs. All I have grown to appreciate more in my old age.
New Nightmare is genuinely scary. I really like it.

It’s a damn good popcorn slasher. I have come to like Scream 2 even more than the original.

New Nightmare is genuinely scary. I really like it.
I like New Nightmare. I didn't rank it and it obviously isn't going to show up at this point, but it's my second-favorite in the franchise.

#19 - Scream​

Twenty-five years after a streak of brutal murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, a new killer has donned the Ghostface mask and begins targeting a group of teenagers to resurrect secrets from the town’s deadly past.

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

IMDB: 72
Metacritic: 65
RottenTomatoes: 79

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3J6ACKQ7K0&t=18s

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/scream-1

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13
Other than the opening sequence, one of the most overrated horror films/franchises of all time.

#19 - Scream​

Twenty-five years after a streak of brutal murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, a new killer has donned the Ghostface mask and begins targeting a group of teenagers to resurrect secrets from the town’s deadly past.

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13
Other than the opening sequence, one of the most overrated horror films/franchises of all time.
:lol:

Perfect timing- I was about to come in and say how impressed I am with the series as a whole. Granted if you didn't like the first, you aren't going to agree but I dare anybody to come up with a series that is still as good 6 movies in.

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

Perfect timing- I was about to come in and say how impressed I am with the series as a whole. Granted if you didn't like the first, you aren't going to agree but I dare anybody to come up with a series that is still as good 6 movies in.
No love for Halloween 6? Or Freddy's Dead? :wink:

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

That’s what I said.

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

Halloween got about 4 deep before stinking, Nightmare 2.

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

Halloween got about 4 deep before stinking, Nightmare 2

Dream Warriors was awesome how dare you.

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

It has some good kills, but it's also the intro to Freddy quipping it up which to me signals the death of the series.

Dickey says Scream is the overrated franchise, IMO it's Nightmare.

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

It has some good kills, but it's also the intro to Freddy quipping it up which to me signals the death of the series.

Dickey says Scream is the overrated franchise, IMO it's Nightmare.
That too (except for the first one).

#19 - Scream​

Wes Craven
Slasher, Meta
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 30
Brunell4MVP 45
Frostillicus 19
ilov80s 5
IvanKaramazov 26
Keith R 24
The Gator 66
Todem 25
UncleZen 14
WVU Alum 64
Yambag 13

I will see your Halloween 6 with Halloween Ressurection….Busta Rhymes mother ****er

Never really liked Scream. I've said before that most of the time when established, known actors are cast in a horror movie, it really takes the believability out of it for me and this movie is the poster child for that. I see this as a a slasher with Monica from Friends, Shaggy from the Scooby Doo movies, and the girl from E.T

I know you posted this before but at the time of the movie they weren't those people so it shouldn't have felt that way. Upon rewatch years later I can understand but originally they weren't known for those characters (except for Drew but she was barely in it). Friends started in 1994 and Scooby Doo wasn't until 2002 while Scream was 1996. So I guess maybe a little Monica but I don't think she was truly Monica yet.
Drew Barrymore was the most famous person in the movie and got top billing, but - whoa - she died 15 minutes in. Another movie that better not be on this list, Deep Blue Sea did a similar thing with Samuel L. Jackson (forgive the lack of spoiler tags but there are 25+ year old movies). Whatever predictability there is/was in casting a big name was totally subverted as it turned out.
Deep Blue Sea is my #1... guilty pleasure movie.

I didn't like Midsommar, so I tried it again and I still didn't like it. I'm not sure why. I can't really point to anything. I really liked parts of it, but it didn't come together for me.
how high were you?

#20 - Let the Right One In​

Set in 1982 in the suburb of Blackeberg, Stockholm, twelve-year-old Oskar is a lonely outsider, bullied at school by his classmates; at home, Oskar dreams of revenge against a trio of bullies. He befriends his twelve-year-old, next-door neighbor Eli, who only appears at night in the snow-covered playground outside their building.

Tomas Alfredson
Psychological, Creepy Kid
Sweden

IMDB: 79
Metacritic: 82
RottenTomatoes: 98

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo&t=13s

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/let-the-right-one-in

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 58
Brunell4MVP 69
dickey moe 57
Frostillicus 55
ilov80s 42
IvanKaramazov 32
jamny 21
Keith R 16
Scoresman 21
The Gator 20
Tick 24
WVU Alum 8
Really like this film, but at #20? That’s nuts.
I never really heard any buzz at all about this movie. I will need to seek it out to stream.

#20?? Really?
I had it as high as WVU, in the top 10. My hot take is this is the best vampire movie ever.
i can get on board with this

Scream also got slashers out of a rut a bit. It did a couple smart things - went back to an OG Friday the 13th type mystery of who the killer is, and it corrected my beef about the slashers - we start to care about the people being killed a bit (or at least I did). They were not just random horrible teens we want to see killed. Shelly, I am looking at you buddy.

Last edited:
Scream also got slashers out of a rut a bit. It did a couple smart things - went back to an OG Friday the 13th type mystery of who the killer is, and it corrected my beef about the slashers - we start to care about the people being killed a bit (or at least I did). They were just random horrible teens we want to see killed. Shelly, I am looking at you buddy.
I will give you that. I was beside myself wondering how Chandler was going to cope if Monica got murdered

Scream also got slashers out of a rut a bit. It did a couple smart things - went back to an OG Friday the 13th type mystery of who the killer is, and it corrected my beef about the slashers - we start to care about the people being killed a bit (or at least I did). They were just random horrible teens we want to see killed. Shelly, I am looking at you buddy.
Shelly was the worst.

I ranked Scream pretty high because at least for me it really reinvigorated the horror genre and gave it new life. Also, the Drew Barrymore bait and switch was awesome. it helps that the sequels have held up pretty well, even through the newet "reboot".

I will give you that. I was beside myself wondering how Chandler was going to cope if Monica got murdered
Revisionist history. Monica and Chandler hated each other in 1996. He wouldn't have cared.

Never really liked Scream. I've said before that most of the time when established, known actors are cast in a horror movie, it really takes the believability out of it for me and this movie is the poster child for that. I see this as a a slasher with Monica from Friends, Shaggy from the Scooby Doo movies, and the girl from E.T

I know you posted this before but at the time of the movie they weren't those people so it shouldn't have felt that way. Upon rewatch years later I can understand but originally they weren't known for those characters (except for Drew but she was barely in it). Friends started in 1994 and Scooby Doo wasn't until 2002 while Scream was 1996. So I guess maybe a little Monica but I don't think she was truly Monica yet.
Drew Barrymore was the most famous person in the movie and got top billing, but - whoa - she died 15 minutes in. Another movie that better not be on this list, Deep Blue Sea did a similar thing with Samuel L. Jackson (forgive the lack of spoiler tags but there are 25+ year old movies). Whatever predictability there is/was in casting a big name was totally subverted as it turned out.
Yeah, but . . . the scene with Drew Barrymore is legitimately good. It's an iconic scene that people still remember a whole generation later. I know it's mainly a comedy, but it's firmly rooted horror and doubles as good example of 90s po-mo irony.
I wasn't criticizing the scene or her lack of screen time. Her presence in the film not only enhanced it but subverted the supposed negatives of casting a big star in a horror film. The only logical explanation for not wanting a star in a horror is that it means we know their character will survive until the end, and Scream flies in the face of that, not only shocking the audience but planting seeds of doubt the next time the viewer sees a star in a horror film. Greatness that, intentionally or not, actually benefits the genre as a whole.
Having that scene at the top of the movie set the tone for the whole movie as it being not the typical movie. I thought it was very creative and loved the way it poked fun at scary movies while also exposing the typical tropes and using that as part of the story. The opening scene definitely contributed to that and was why I would have this quite high on my list.

#18 - Saw​

Obsessed with teaching his victims the value of life, a deranged, sadistic serial killer abducts the morally wayward. Once captured, they must face impossible choices in a horrific game of survival. The victims must fight to win their lives back, or die trying...

James Wan
Torture
USA

IMDB: 76
Metacritic: 46
RottenTomatoes: 48

Trailer:

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/saw

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 22
Brunell4MVP 14
Frostillicus 38
IvanKaramazov 43
jamny 17
Keith R 39
Scoresman 68
shuke 44
The Gator 14
Todem 34
UncleZen 46
Yambag 19

People tell me I'd probably like the first Saw. I'm interested but not rushing out to see it.
It's the only one worth going out of your way for (maybe Saw X as well), and quite a bit of the impact is probably diminished at this point, but when I saw it on opening weekend, I was blown away. It has flaws but I'll always remember that first viewing. This is a "you had to be there" event to get the full impact, not unlike The Blair Witch Project

People tell me I'd probably like the first Saw. I'm interested but not rushing out to see it.
It's the only one worth going out of your way for (maybe Saw X as well), and quite a bit of the impact is probably diminished at this point, but when I saw it on opening weekend, I was blown away. It has flaws but I'll always remember that first viewing. This is a "you had to be there" event to get the full impact, not unlike The Blair Witch Project
Agree 100%. Another one that loses its luster once you know the deal, but at the time was intense.

But I'd watch it again just for Monica Potter. :heart:

It seems like much of the genre really fits this "you had to be there" mantra. Probably because the nature of the beast is the shock and awe of what is happening and in the moment is always going to have so much more of an impact than after the fact. Years later, once everything has been spoiled, it really is difficult to give these type of movies the honor they deserve.

It seems like much of the genre really fits this "you had to be there" mantra. Probably because the nature of the beast is the shock and awe of what is happening and in the moment is always going to have so much more of an impact than after the fact. Years later, once everything has been spoiled, it really is difficult to give these type of movies the honor they deserve.
It's like art. I'm a big fan of art history and always hear people criticize old artwork. Impressionist painting might not look like much to some but they were sacrilege in their day. A lot of people could do a similar painting to Rothko or Pollock but they took the chance at doing it first. I don't ever need to see Blair Witch again but to be part of the experience when it came out gives it a higher appreciation. Saw falls into that as well, imo.

I think there are plenty of movies that are watchable over and over again - Carrie for instance, and I'm sure several more that will be coming up. Your point does probably apply though to movies in which there was a really unexpected twist/nuance to them, such as Saw or Blair Witch.

I think there are plenty of movies that are watchable over and over again - Carrie for instance, and I'm sure several more that will be coming up. Your point does probably apply though to movies in which there was a really unexpected twist/nuance to them, such as Saw or Blair Witch.
I definitely wasn't meaning that all horror movies fall into this category. Just that the genre lends itself to having those type movies because the shock and awe aspect of what can make a horror movie great. Sometimes that shock and awe elevates the movie in the moment and fades over time once the shock is known but it shouldn't detract from the overall impact of the movie if that happens.

Over the weekend, I'll also post the movies that made it into the bottom of the "alternate" list after removing the controversial "non-horror" movies. There's one more "controversial" movie coming up but I'm not removing it because someone voted it #1 (same reason Aliens is staying).

For the most part, a lot of the honorable mentions are getting bumped up, but there are a few new movies to highlight too.

I think I rated Saw too high at 46. Upon thinking further, it would be in the 65-70ish range, behind Llamagheddon and Zombeavers.

It was ok on 1st watch though but I have never rewatched it and never saw any of the sequels.

I re-watched it last October, having not seen it since it first came out. I actually forgot what happens in it so it was like watching for the first time all over again. I thank my dead brain cells for allowing the experience again.

Users who are viewing this thread