What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #1 - Alien (4 Viewers)

What's interesting is that there are definite "Tiers" of movies when looking at the scoring. For the most part, the scores are fairly linearly increasing, but every once in a while there is a significant bump in score from one movie to the next. One such bump occured from The Ring(340 points) to the Babadook (362 points).

Another "bump" like this is coming between the 24th and 23rd movies, and two absolutely crazy bumps in between 14 and 13, and in between 5 and 4.
I've been looking forward to seeing what came in at 23 and 24 for the past couple of days.

Not related, but my remaining picks are starting to look a little weird. 7 of my top 10 are still sitting out there, but only 14 of my top 30.

Such a great movie.

Here is the short version of my position: there is more horror here than I was giving it credit for, but Cameron was still more interested in making it an action movie and shot it that way. Or he actually tried to make a horror movie and couldn't help himself with the action movie.

The longer version:

• A better point to my previous one about an action movie having a higher bar for me: the level of weaponry and training the characters have drastically change the dynamic of the scenes. that's why I can't get behind Scores' point above that the marines might as well as be camp counselors. To me it steers out of horror territory when you are able to kill most things and take out a few aliens in the battle. To use a similar method replace the aliens with an overpowering force in an action or war movie - does it feel that much different the way it's shot?
  • while I will admit to soon why there is more horror here than I thought, one thing that also stood out tonight while watching was how Cameron shoots the scenes you referred to and how he bookends the scenes and what he ends with. They often still have an action movie feel to me. The dream sequence he focuses on people running down the hallway a lot and we cut away before the gore on the chest burst vs. in Alien where we are in a confined spot and focused on the gore and faces. The scene where Ripley describes the aliens to the crew could be a campfire horror story in a Friday the 13th movie ..... until he ends with a joke and puff of the chests. In the scene where they first encounter the aliens, he chooses to leave us with Ripley kicking *** and coming to the rescue - and back to the point above, that part of the scene is shot like an action movie.
  • I had the same thought as scores above but it fed into the point above - Cameron chooses to end the movie as an action movie.
I gave it a fair eye, and here is some stuff that really stood out as effective horror movie stuff. I did come around a bit on to what people are talking about with the in the movie:
  • The face hugger in the jar jump scare was great
  • shortly after that the lead up to Newt and the jump scare there. Very horror movie.
  • The scene with the face hugger in the room with them is still well done. That was one I had in mind when I asked the question to scores
  • before I think it ends action, the intro to the aliens is so well done and very horror movie. What impressed me that I hadn't noticed before is the tone shift leading up to it - we start with a scared Newt and Ripley, not the marines strutting around like the previous similar scene. Then my previous beef is addressed a bit when they are told they can't use live rounds, smart choice there to ramp up the tension, then I forget just how freaking gross and terrifying it is in there and how horrific it gets. Straight out of a horror movie. I argue it lasts until Vasquez starts kicking *** and actually kills a few.

Final assessment: more horror (and quite well done) than I gave it credit for, but Cameron couldn't help but make an action movie as a final product.

Random odd thought on a 100+th rewatch: Wtf is with all the smoking? Ripley right by a severely injured marine had me laughing a bit tonight.

Yeah, I dont think we really disagree much on this then. I've always said it has more of an action tone than horror, but that it had enough horror to more than fit in to this list.

In regard to your first bullet, yes as soon as they start shooting, it becomes action, but the buildup to that, when they are slowly advancing using the motion detectors (this happens in a few scenes), that to me is as much horror as it is action. The suspense and tension leading up to a potential jump scare or reveal of the aliens is through the roof. The actual shooting and taking out of a few Aliens doesn't even last that long in comparison.

My final assessment is that Aliens was a huge miss on my list that I will be correcting. Expect it to go way up in the final rankings unless someone lowers it on theirs to match.

Up Next: I think another controversial one. Not due to horror/not-horror, but I distinctly remember people in the horror thread saying they just didn't get it at all.

What's interesting is that there are definite "Tiers" of movies when looking at the scoring. For the most part, the scores are fairly linearly increasing, but every once in a while there is a significant bump in score from one movie to the next. One such bump occured from The Ring(340 points) to the Babadook (362 points).

Another "bump" like this is coming between the 24th and 23rd movies, and two absolutely crazy bumps in between 14 and 13, and in between 5 and 4.
I've been looking forward to seeing what came in at 23 and 24 for the past couple of days.

Not related, but my remaining picks are starting to look a little weird. 7 of my top 10 are still sitting out there, but only 14 of my top 30.

23-24 isnt the biggest jump, not nearly as much as 14-13 or 5-4. The scores between ranks are typically about 3-4 points.

23-24 is a jump of about 24 points.
12-14 is a jump of 54 points.
5-4 is a jump of about 120 points! :eek:

The top 4 movies of this list are in a league of their own for sure.

#24 - It Follows​

When carefree teenager Jay sleeps with her older boyfriend for the first time, she learns that she is the latest recipient of a fatal curse that is passed from victim to victim via sexual intercourse. Death, Jay learns, will creep inexorably toward her as either a friend or a stranger. Jay's friends don't believe her seemingly paranoid ravings, until they too begin to see the phantom assassins and band together to help her defend herself.

David Robert Mitchell
Supernatural, Psychological
USA

IMDB: 68
Metacritic: 83
RottenTomatoes: 97

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZYbOH0ujw

Streaming:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/it-follows

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65

#24 - It Follows​

When carefree teenager Jay sleeps with her older boyfriend for the first time, she learns that she is the latest recipient of a fatal curse that is passed from victim to victim via sexual intercourse. Death, Jay learns, will creep inexorably toward her as either a friend or a stranger. Jay's friends don't believe her seemingly paranoid ravings, until they too begin to see the phantom assassins and band together to help her defend herself.

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65

Love how high this ranked.

A great premise, the synth soundtrack, the eerie, dark atmosphere that is a throwback to 80s teen horror movies, and likable characters all make this one of the best made horror movies of the last 15 years. The premise alone creates an uncomfortable tension throughout the entire movie.

If you really want to get deep, the movie is a statement about the crumbling middle class/American Dream, and how younger generations are being left behind to cope on their own. .

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
Love it.

One of my favorite rewatches just because so many things are subtle.

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
Love it.

Yeah, I cant think of another horror movie that spawned as much discussion on the internet. What do you think the movie is symbolic of? How would you escape the creature? Etc. Etc.

It's just such a great premise.

Such a great movie.

Here is the short version of my position: there is more horror here than I was giving it credit for, but Cameron was still more interested in making it an action movie and shot it that way. Or he actually tried to make a horror movie and couldn't help himself with the action movie.

The longer version:

• A better point to my previous one about an action movie having a higher bar for me: the level of weaponry and training the characters have drastically change the dynamic of the scenes. that's why I can't get behind Scores' point above that the marines might as well as be camp counselors. To me it steers out of horror territory when you are able to kill most things and take out a few aliens in the battle. To use a similar method replace the aliens with an overpowering force in an action or war movie - does it feel that much different the way it's shot?
  • while I will admit to soon why there is more horror here than I thought, one thing that also stood out tonight while watching was how Cameron shoots the scenes you referred to and how he bookends the scenes and what he ends with. They often still have an action movie feel to me. The dream sequence he focuses on people running down the hallway a lot and we cut away before the gore on the chest burst vs. in Alien where we are in a confined spot and focused on the gore and faces. The scene where Ripley describes the aliens to the crew could be a campfire horror story in a Friday the 13th movie ..... until he ends with a joke and puff of the chests. In the scene where they first encounter the aliens, he chooses to leave us with Ripley kicking *** and coming to the rescue - and back to the point above, that part of the scene is shot like an action movie.
  • I had the same thought as scores above but it fed into the point above - Cameron chooses to end the movie as an action movie.
I gave it a fair eye, and here is some stuff that really stood out as effective horror movie stuff. I did come around a bit on to what people are talking about with the in the movie:
  • The face hugger in the jar jump scare was great
  • shortly after that the lead up to Newt and the jump scare there. Very horror movie.
  • The scene with the face hugger in the room with them is still well done. That was one I had in mind when I asked the question to scores
  • before I think it ends action, the intro to the aliens is so well done and very horror movie. What impressed me that I hadn't noticed before is the tone shift leading up to it - we start with a scared Newt and Ripley, not the marines strutting around like the previous similar scene. Then my previous beef is addressed a bit when they are told they can't use live rounds, smart choice there to ramp up the tension, then I forget just how freaking gross and terrifying it is in there and how horrific it gets. Straight out of a horror movie. I argue it lasts until Vasquez starts kicking *** and actually kills a few.

Final assessment: more horror (and quite well done) than I gave it credit for, but Cameron couldn't help but make an action movie as a final product.

Random odd thought on a 100+th rewatch: Wtf is with all the smoking? Ripley right by a severely injured marine had me laughing a bit tonight.

Yeah, I dont think we really disagree much on this then. I've always said it has more of an action tone than horror, but that it had enough horror to more than fit in to this list.

In regard to your first bullet, yes as soon as they start shooting, it becomes action, but the buildup to that, when they are slowly advancing using the motion detectors (this happens in a few scenes), that to me is as much horror as it is action. The suspense and tension leading up to a potential jump scare or reveal of the aliens is through the roof. The actual shooting and taking out of a few Aliens doesn't even last that long in comparison.

My final assessment is that Aliens was a huge miss on my list that I will be correcting. Expect it to go way up in the final rankings unless someone lowers it on theirs to match.
I think you are underestimating how long the battle goes on after the point - I think it's 50/50 but also didn't clock it or anything. Yes, they are still retreating and taking losses, but my point was it is just like a scene from many war and action movies at that point.

It's also offset a bit by the over the top action movie build up in the scene before it, when they are posing with the guns, talking about being badasses, and falling asleep during drops. Even before this scene there are more pure action scenes than there are horror scenes. But enough about Aliens....

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
Love it.

What it excels at is the idea that anybody could be the monster, so you are constantly looking in the background and that is great for the buildup of dread. I loved the movie, glad to see it well regarded.

#23 - Train to Busan​

When a zombie virus pushes Korea into a state of emergency, those trapped on an express train to Busan must fight for their own survival.

Sang-ho Yeon
Zombie/Virus
South Korea

IMDB: 75
Metacritic: 72
RottenTomatoes: 95

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovgxN2VWNc

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/train-to-busan

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 49
Frostillicus 39
ilov80s 22
jamny 9
Keith R 14
Scoresman 46
The Gator 17
Tick 27
WVU Alum 10
Yambag 72

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
Glad this made it in the Top 25, as it deserves to be there. One of my favorite rewatches.

#23 - Train to Busan​

When a zombie virus pushes Korea into a state of emergency, those trapped on an express train to Busan must fight for their own survival.

Sang-ho Yeon
Zombie/Virus
South Korea

IMDB: 75
RottenTomatoes: 95

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovgxN2VWNc

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/train-to-busan

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 49
Frostillicus 39
ilov80s 22
jamny 9
Keith R 14
Scoresman 46
The Gator 17
Tick 27
WVU Alum 10
Yambag 72
Admittedly I ranked this waaaay too low, which will be corrected the next time around.

#22 - Carrie​

Carrie White is a lonely and painfully shy teenage girl with telekinetic powers who is slowly pushed to the edge of insanity by frequent bullying from both classmates at her school, and her own religious, but abusive, mother.

Brian De Palma
Supernatural, King
USA

IMDB: 74
Metacritic: 85
RottenTomatoes: 93

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carrie+trailer+1976

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/carrie-1976

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 26
dickey moe 38
Frostillicus 20
ilov80s 7
IvanKaramazov 72
Keith R 31
Scoresman 69
shuke 14
The Gator 33
Todem 56
WVU Alum 14

#22 - Carrie​

Carrie White is a lonely and painfully shy teenage girl with telekinetic powers who is slowly pushed to the edge of insanity by frequent bullying from both classmates at her school, and her own religious, but abusive, mother.

Brian De Palma
Supernatural, King
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 26
dickey moe 38
Frostillicus 20
ilov80s 7
IvanKaramazov 72
Keith R 31
Scoresman 69
shuke 14
The Gator 33
Todem 56
WVU Alum 14
This one is probably the one I haven’t seen in the longest time. Will need to add it to the October list

I am in the minority a bit on Train to Busan. Keep in mind zombies have become one of my least favorite subgenres as it got done to death. I love that it has some heart and emotion, but I also felt it gets a bit one-note for me by the time it's over, and I don't love the ending. Still very good, but it was in that bucket of movies I was looking at in my 50-75 range.

Carrie, on the other has grown into one of my favorite horror movies over the years. It was the first written down when I started, would at least have been in my top 3 and probably #1. It has so many elements that I love and gravitate to in horror - first and foremost great acting and characters.

#22 - Carrie​

Brian De Palma
Supernatural, King
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 26
dickey moe 38
Frostillicus 20
ilov80s 7
IvanKaramazov 72
Keith R 31
Scoresman 69
shuke 14
The Gator 33
Todem 56
WVU Alum 14
This one is probably the one I haven’t seen in the longest time.
They're all gonna laugh at you...

#22 - Carrie​

Brian De Palma
Supernatural, King
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 26
dickey moe 38
Frostillicus 20
ilov80s 7
IvanKaramazov 72
Keith R 31
Scoresman 69
shuke 14
The Gator 33
Todem 56
WVU Alum 14
Loved loved loved this movie.

BTW - I might be in a minority but I also liked the 2013 remake starring Chloe-Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore.

#21 - Midsommar​

Several friends travel to Sweden to study as anthropologists a summer festival that is held every ninety years in the remote hometown of one of them. What begins as a dream vacation in a place where the sun never sets, gradually turns into a dark nightmare as the mysterious inhabitants invite them to participate in their disturbing festive activities.

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

IMDB: 76
RottenTomatoes: 83

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=midsommar+trailer

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/midsommar

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54

#21 - Midsommar​

Several friends travel to Sweden to study as anthropologists a summer festival that is held every ninety years in the remote hometown of one of them. What begins as a dream vacation in a place where the sun never sets, gradually turns into a dark nightmare as the mysterious inhabitants invite them to participate in their disturbing festive activities.

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54
YAAAAAASSS

almost was my #3, absolutely love it.

Aster is a genius

#21 - Midsommar​

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54
This is another one of those movies that features a whole bunch of things that I like. It looks great, as you would expect from Aster. The characters are believable and appropriately annoying for this type of film. I love how they just flat-out show you the entire plot of the movie right off the bat and then again later on through the wood carvings that appear on screen - that's a clever touch and also makes it a little easier to follow for less-attentive viewers. I like knowing that there is an entire parallel story involving the red-headed girl who gets impregnated, like how she got selected for that particular honor, how she chose a partner, what happens with her after the events of the film, etc.

Midsommar also belongs to a very small group of films (along with Parasite, Saltburn, and Starship Troopers) where the conventional interpretation doesn't actually match up with what is shown to the audience. Most reviews of this movie talk about toxic masculinity, but it makes a lot more sense to view this as being about runaway empathy / toxic femininity. The novelty of that theme pushes this movie up my rankings a little bit, just like Get Out (I strongly endorse @Keith R 's take on that one). It would be in my top 20 regardless though.

Last edited:
I actually didn't like Midsommar on first viewing but it's a rare one that I tried again and appreciated it much more the second time, enough so that it made my list.

#21 - Midsommar​

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54
YAAAAAASSS

Aster is a genius
Best horror film in recent years. And mostly in exquisite, broad daylight. Genius.
Edit: suckit Andy!

#21 - Midsommar​

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54
YAAAAAASSS

Aster is a genius
Best horror film in recent years. And mostly in exquisite, broad daylight. Genius.
Edit: suckit Andy!
Bolded is a big bonus for me, it was beautifully shot

Kind of a low rating for Carrie imo. Only came to it recently but have watched it a couple times since and it’s gotten better and better.
I've watched it a few times the past year since buying the 4k disc. I just adore the small moments - like the prom sequence that was mentioned above. If you haven't - listen to the recent Carrie episode on Unspooled. Some great debate and discussion.

#21 - Midsommar​

Ari Aster
Fanaticism
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
Brunell4MVP 19
dickey moe 5
IvanKaramazov 10
jamny 61
Keith R 18
shuke 20
The Gator 4
Todem 18
Yambag 54
Nope

#20 - Let the Right One In​

Set in 1982 in the suburb of Blackeberg, Stockholm, twelve-year-old Oskar is a lonely outsider, bullied at school by his classmates; at home, Oskar dreams of revenge against a trio of bullies. He befriends his twelve-year-old, next-door neighbor Eli, who only appears at night in the snow-covered playground outside their building.

Tomas Alfredson
Psychological, Creepy Kid
Sweden

IMDB: 79
Metacritic: 82
RottenTomatoes: 98

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo&t=13s

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/let-the-right-one-in

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 58
Brunell4MVP 69
dickey moe 57
Frostillicus 55
ilov80s 42
IvanKaramazov 32
jamny 21
Keith R 16
Scoresman 21
The Gator 20
Tick 24
WVU Alum 8

Set in 1982 in the suburb of Blackeberg, Stockholm, twelve-year-old Oskar is a lonely outsider, bullied at school by his classmates; at home, Oskar dreams of revenge against a trio of bullies. He befriends his twelve-year-old, next-door neighbor Eli, who only appears at night in the snow-covered playground outside their building.

Tomas Alfredson
Sweden

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 58
Brunell4MVP 69
dickey moe 57
Frostillicus 55
ilov80s 42
IvanKaramazov 32
jamny 21
Keith R 16
Scoresman 21
The Gator 20
Tick 24
WVU Alum 8

An absolute gem and a refreshing take on the vampire genre. Happy to see it this high.

Tomas Alfredson
Sweden

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 58
Brunell4MVP 69
dickey moe 57
Frostillicus 55
ilov80s 42
IvanKaramazov 32
jamny 21
Keith R 16
Scoresman 21
The Gator 20
Tick 24
WVU Alum 8
Really like this film, but at #20? That’s nuts.

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
I really like this flick. First of all I love the 80’s vibe all over this movie with the John Carpenteresque music. So cool. Yet we know it is taking place in the modern day with that little shell text thingie......or is it?

The concept is great. And man there are some superbly creepy moments in this movie!!!!

I know I did not rank it very high......but hey it was in my top 75.

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
I really like this flick. First of all I love the 80’s vibe all over this movie with the John Carpenteresque music. So cool. Yet we know it is taking place in the modern day with that little shell text thingie......or is it?

The concept is great. And man there are some superbly creepy moments in this movie!!!!

I know I did not rank it very high......but hey it was in my top 75.
Smile was better and very similar to It Follows IMO

Users who are viewing this thread