What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (3 Viewers)

Terror Train (1980)
A request from my wife. I had never even heard of it. A better than expected slasher starring Jamie Lee Curtis. Graduating college kids have one last party, a costume party on a train. Chaos ensues. The killer is pretty obvious but there is a twist. With David Copperfield as The Magician!
Watched it on Plex with commercials. Couldn't find it streaming without.
A classic.

I got to Scream 6 last night. I will chew on my thoughts and post more tonight. It was a rainy, cold day on my day off so I ripped off a couple others during the day too - Battle Royale and Dr. X.

Terror Train (1980)
A request from my wife. I had never even heard of it. A better than expected slasher starring Jamie Lee Curtis. Graduating college kids have one last party, a costume party on a train. Chaos ensues. The killer is pretty obvious but there is a twist. With David Copperfield as The Magician!
A classic.
I enjoyed it too. This was JLC’s horror run spree following Halloween. Not sure if this came before or after Prom Night, but they were around the same time.

Terror Train (1980)
A classic.
I enjoyed it too. This was JLC’s horror run spree following Halloween. Not sure if this came before or after Prom Night, but they were around the same time.
Yeah 1980 she made Terror Train, Prom Night and The Fog.....all released inside the same year.

Then 1981 Halloween II hit.

Terror Train (1980)
A classic.
Yeah 1980 she made Terror Train, Prom Night and The Fog.....all released inside the same year.

I liked Halloween II more than most, but just wish they had stopped there.

Terror Train (1980)
A classic.

My second favorite in the series and agree....they could have easily stopped there....or even Halloween 4.

The cool thing about Halloween is you have several timelines you can use.

Suspiria (1977)
As usual, Argento is more style over substance, but there were some really freaky visuals and sets. That, along with the lighting and music make it worth seeing, even if the story is pretty weak. The main actress was very good but most of the cast were not. Impressive effects at the end too.

I actually like Halloween III more than Halloween II. At least the third movie went off and did its own thing, with an original story. The second movie does what way too many sequels do, which is giving the villain a backstory and trying to explain Why He Is The Way He Is.

The first movie is cool because Michael Myers just breaks out of mental hospital and goes back to his home town to terrorize baby-sitters. He's just like that, and he was born that way as far as we can tell. That's all we need to know. It's a minimalist film made on no budget that takes a bare-bones story and turns it into one of the all-time great suspense movies.

The second movie adds the completely-unsupported plot line about Laurie being Michael's sister, which retroactively robs the first film of of much its magic and creates a bunch of plot holes where there were none before. (How does Michael even know that he has another sister? How does he know it's Laurie? How did he know what she looks like, or where she lives? Why did Laurie not know about this? Etc.) And then most of the subsequent sequels kept going down this stupid rabbit-hole.

Stop it! I don't care why Michael is like this. I don't care about Jason's background, or why Leatherface was just misunderstood. Nobody wants any of this!

Halloween III is not a good film, and I certainly don't want anybody watching it with high expectations, or expectations of any kind really. But it has an interesting story that could have been developed in a better way, and it definitely has some disturbing elements to it which are good in a movie like this. People tend to remember it as a complete stinker, but it's more like a D+ or C-, not an F.

Suspiria (1977)
As usual, Argento is more style over substance, but there were some really freaky visuals and sets. That, along with the lighting and music make it worth seeing, even if the story is pretty weak. The main actress was very good but most of the cast were not. Impressive effects at the end too.

The music. My god, the music. I got the chance to see the movie with Goblin doing the soundtrack live. Loved it.

Halloween III is not a good film, and I certainly don't want anybody watching it with high expectations, or expectations of any kind really. But it has an interesting story that could have been developed in a better way, and it definitely has some disturbing elements to it which are good in a movie like this. People tend to remember it as a complete stinker, but it's more like a D+ or C-, not an F.
Cult classic in my book.

Love it.

We watched it recently. I remember really liking it when it first came out but on rewatch, it was pretty bad. Won't watch it again. I wouldn't say an F though.

I got to Scream 6 last night. I will chew on my thoughts and post more tonight. It was a rainy, cold day on my day off so I ripped off a couple others during the day too - Battle Royale and Dr. X.
Not sure I would consider Battle Royale horror but it's definitely quality. An author ripped it off and started a certain book and movie franchise for the YA audience

Not sure I would consider Battle Royale horror but it's definitely quality. An author ripped it off and started a certain book and movie franchise for the YA audience
It's a debate, but it was in the "HS horror" series on Criterion so I rolled with it.

For sure Hunger Games ripped it off.

1st - The Burning (on Prime). Grade - B-
2nd - Meg 2: The Trench (on Max). Grade - C+
3rd - The Black Demon (on Prime). Grade - D
4th - Cropsey (on Prime). Grade - B
Early Bonus - Talk to Me (theater). Grade - A+
5th - Pet Sematary (2019) (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
6th - Lights Out (on Netflix). Grade C-
7th - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F
8th - Totally Killer (on Prime). Grade B
9th - The Rage: Carrie 2 (on Max). Grade - D
10th - Saw X (theater). Grade - B+

11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). An all-star lineup starring Bela Legosi and Boris Karloff with a story highly inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe. If you're familiar with works from this era, you'll be pleased with the good storytelling and some melodrama in place of jump scares and CGI. Not the best from either main actor but it is an easy watch. Grade B

11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B

12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Another black and white feature, which I don't mind, though there was some use of outdated effects. This is a ghost story/psychological where we don't know if there is an actual ghost or if it's a delusion, similar in that regard to The Shining. This falls far short of that elite standard but that's an unfair comparison for almost any movie. As it is, it's got a decent story but not many scares. Neither must-see nor must-avoid. Grade C+

Watched the original Friday the 13th last night. We've worked our way through some of the early slashers to lead up to the pinnacle of the genre, imo. As good as it was the day it was released. Solid in every way.

We watched it recently. I remember really liking it when it first came out but on rewatch, it was pretty bad. Won't watch it again. I wouldn't say an F though.
Ahhh Halloween 3---it came out when I was a very impressionable 13 year old. Let's just say there were a scene or two that I paused the VHS rental. Stacey Nelkin---:eek: (although the years have not been kind to her) :kicksrock:

Watched the original Friday the 13th last night. We've worked our way through some of the early slashers to lead up to the pinnacle of the genre, imo. As good as it was the day it was released. Solid in every way.
Part II is underrated as well.

I happen to love the 2009 reboot. I think it was a great Jason movie and the acting was far better than any Friday the 13th film made (that is an extremely low bar I know lol).

My rankings

1. Friday The 13th 1980
2. Part II
3. Part IV
4. 2009
5. Part V
6. Part 6
7. Part 7
8. Part 3
9. Part X
10. Jason vs Freddy
11. Takes Manhattan (utter crap)
12. Goes to Hell (hot garbage)

Ahhh Halloween 3---it came out when I was a very impressionable 13 year old. Let's just say there were a scene or two that I paused the VHS rental. Stacey Nelkin---:eek: (although the years have not been kind to her) :kicksrock:
She was smoking.

I loved the story…..and the scene of the test run on that family…..little Buddy…dude it is still terrifying.

11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B
12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Grade C+

13th - Identity (on AMC+). This is the first rewatch on my October list and it teeters on the edge of the horror box, but the wife wanted a revisit. Nice Agatha Christie-style setup with a midway revelation that changes the game. Lots of recognizable faces in this. Barely scary but eerie enough with a mystery vibe. YMMV whether this is what someone is looking for in an October scare fest but I had fun with it. Grade B

I don't know. I have a love/hate relationship with the Friday the 13th movies. Of the main 3 slasher franchises, I'd argue that it was the most consistent through it's run. I can watch any of 1-6 fine and enjoy/laugh with 7 and Goes to Hell as well. On the downside, Cunningham himself talks about what a shameless money grab it was from the start, so unlike Nightmare and Halloween you can tell the person kicking it off gave 0 craps about quality of product, and IMO nothing in Friday is near as good as the original Halloween or tried to reach the heights that a couple of the Nightmare movies did.

Part II is underrated as well.

I happen to love the 2009 reboot. I think it was a great Jason movie and the acting was far better than any Friday the 13th film made (that is an extremely low bar I know lol).

My rankings

1. Friday The 13th 1980
2. Part II
3. Part IV
4. 2009
5. Part V
6. Part 6
7. Part 7
8. Part 3
9. Part X
10. Jason vs Freddy
11. Takes Manhattan (utter crap)
12. Goes to Hell (hot garbage)
Interesting to see 6 that low. I haven't revisited some for a while, but mine would more like:

Movies I think are good to pretty good, period (in order):

OG - I like the "mystery" aspect of it, even though not one we could solve and is a bit silly.
Part II - this would probably be the top spot if not for the opening. Love bag head Jason
IV -
VI - 4 and 6 are pretty much interchangeable for me.

Some I either laugh at, or really like an idea from:

III - Shelly and 3D sucks, but hockey mask!
vs. Freddy. I am a rare "defender" of this one. I thought they had some interesting ideas like Freddy using Jason's skills to convince kids he was back. Also some of the kills and images are top notch before it gets to their goofy battle royale
V - i've learned to embrace this one more for the bonkers movie it is. It would probably be higher if not for the redneck mom and son hooting it up.
VII - It's not great, but it's one I had on VHS randomly and I watched it a bit.
2009 - maybe I'm being too harsh and need to revisit, but I didn't like many of these slasher remakes.

Avoid unless high, in a group, or a completionist:
X
Goes to Hell
(first one I saw in the theater!!)
VIII

Watched this last night, really enjoyed it.
We watched last night and the movie had a real It Follows vibe to it, as far as it being a unique concept. I am glad we had the subtitles on because the accents were a little hard to understand everything being said. All and all I just couldn't help but feel the whole movie was setting up for a franchise of future movies. I didn't love it as much as others did.

Silent Scream (1979)
Our first real clunker of the month. Fairly predictable with a minor twist that really didn't matter much. Nice to see Lily Munster (Yvonne DeCarlo) in something else.

Anyone watch Totally Killer on Prime? It’s like Scream meets Back to the Future? It’s just ok but an entertaining easy watch I guess. My wife and I mostly enjoyed it since she doesn’t really go for anything that’s actually scary. This is more of a horror-comedy.
Yes, and I enjoyed it on the exact same level you did. Fun movie that's worth a watch when you're not prepared for something like Hereditary.

Mentioned in the other thread but The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix is very good through the 5 episodes I've watched. It's like if Succession had horror elements built in. So far, it's the best Flannigan series yet. Let's hope it keeps up through the ending.

Wife and I watched Terrifier and Terrfier 2 back to back nights.

Art The Clown is seriously insane. We enjoyed the heck outta these two movies. And the sequel is better than the original.

Wife and I watched Terrifier and Terrfier 2 back to back nights.

Art The Clown is seriously insane. We enjoyed the heck outta these two movies. And the sequel is better than the original.
We watched the first one a while back and I have the second on my list for this month. Glad to hear you think it's better.

Anyone watch Totally Killer on Prime? It’s like Scream meets Back to the Future? It’s just ok but an entertaining easy watch I guess. My wife and I mostly enjoyed it since she doesn’t really go for anything that’s actually scary. This is more of a horror-comedy.

I’ll check it out

Users who are viewing this thread