What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll: 1955 - 1959 Countdown Monday is here! (3 Viewers)

Eephus said:
This seems like the right thread to park this one.

My son has been in the Air Force for the past year and we don't get to spend a lot of time with him these days.  He posted a Snapchat earlier today of him watching "An American In Paris" with the caption "my favorite movie". 

He may have just been taking the #### but Mrs. Eephus and I took it as a minor triumph.  We all made plenty of mistakes along the way but our kids eat their vegetables and love old movies.
Correction:  He said it was Singing In the Rain.which makes more sense

#5  175pts

11 votes

Ridiculous

I first saw this film several months ago. I was stunned by what I saw. How is it that such an awful movie came to be known as a classic? What disgusted me most about it was the portrayal of the arrogant British officer (played by Alec Guiness) as an admirable and principled hero. What makes him arrogant? Trying to use laws to exclude him from working with the "grunts". What made this even more ridiculous was that the soldiers still obeyed and respected him after his little protest.

Another problem was the portrayal of the camp itself. The film sugar coats the real-life consequences POW's face for insubordination (there was not a single beating or execution in the entire film). I don't say this because I'm bloodthirsty, I say it because the lack of such violence trivializes the horrors of war.

So in summing up, I watched Bridge On the River Kwai expecting something worthy of being called a classic. What I got was a nearly farcical take on the war genre. Excellent performances (who plays a pompous englishman better than Guiness?) could not save this movie from its unintentional silliness.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

#4  197pts

12 votes

Old is...well...old

Why do old movies need to be automatically classic just because they are old? This movie is horrible...period. The acting is bad...the story is unbelievable, in the literal sense...the production value weak. Hitchcock and Grant are given much too much credit...both are sub-par entertainers. A critics movie for sure and a waste of time for anyone under 50...

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

#3  198pts

14  votes

Awful garbage

The use of colour is probably the only good thing about this slow and boring, overlong, dated film. The first half is much too long and slow and the repetitive driving scenes quickly become very tiresome. Kim Novak was always a poor actress, and looks ridiculous with her bleached platinum blond hair and thick dark eyebrows. Far too many scenes take place in the studio on very fake looking sets with painted backdrops. The opening scene is ruined because it is so fake, not that cops would be chasing a criminal over rooftops anyway. By far the worst thing however is the dreadful miscasting of Grandfather Stewart as Scottie. Stewart was clearly far too old to be playing romantic leads at this point in his career and he was actually more than twice Kim Novak's age (she was 24 and he was 49, though he looked at least 55). His grey wig is laughably bad and he just looks like an ugly old man chasing after his granddaughter. With a younger, better looking actor like Marlon Brando the film might have at least been watchable.

VERTIGO

You wouldn't catch a modern movie or TV show using an older actor in a romantic lead with a young actress, that's for sure.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Brando would have been poorly cast but I think that review of Vertigo has some reasonable points relative to the insane review of NxNW

#2  236pts

12 votes

Has anyone actually watched this movie?!?!

Stands the test of time, does it? If the movie and its subject matter weren't so utterly tame by today's standards, perhaps this assertion would hold, but as it is, this heap is a relic of the deep dark past. There were two (and only two!) moments wherein I didn't actually laugh, but merely stated: "that was kind of funny..." that's it, I spoke the words, didn't actually laugh! The only thing that stands out about this "greatest comedy of all time" is the fact that Marilyn Monroe is so chunky! Not to condone our societies current body image ideals, but if Marilyn Monroe was even attempting to make it into movies these days, I doubt she would get her foot in the door... yet another counter to the "stands the test of time" statements. Additionally, neither of the two lead actors' performances even hold up to much of their other work... come on, tony Curtis was funnier in Spartacus! And Lemmon, as we know, just aged like a fine wine. At best, this is a really lame rated-G caliber attempted goof-ball romp that should entertain only very young children; but in reality, it is just an incredibly boring old movie that should not have survived past the decade in which it was born.

SOME LIKE IT HOT

#1  238pts

12 votes

Misogynist and racial

This movie clearly misogynistic and racially biases. It represents the typical mental superiority complex of Americans. of the 12 jurors not even one is a woman, neither is one that represents the African American or hispanic or any other race that still part of the American system. Movie is shot in poor taste, acting is superficial and mediocre at best, this movie does deserve to be in top 250 movies of all time. I can think of 500 movies which have a better set of actors and better story and better director. Only reason this movie is in the top 10 is for a counter argument, that should never exist in the first place if the jurors had an iq that was better than 2 digits.

12 ANGRY MEN

#2  236pts

12 votes

Has anyone actually watched this movie?!?!

Stands the test of time, does it? If the movie and its subject matter weren't so utterly tame by today's standards, perhaps this assertion would hold, but as it is, this heap is a relic of the deep dark past. There were two (and only two!) moments wherein I didn't actually laugh, but merely stated: "that was kind of funny..." that's it, I spoke the words, didn't actually laugh! The only thing that stands out about this "greatest comedy of all time" is the fact that Marilyn Monroe is so chunky! Not to condone our societies current body image ideals, but if Marilyn Monroe was even attempting to make it into movies these days, I doubt she would get her foot in the door... yet another counter to the "stands the test of time" statements. Additionally, neither of the two lead actors' performances even hold up to much of their other work... come on, tony Curtis was funnier in Spartacus! And Lemmon, as we know, just aged like a fine wine. At best, this is a really lame rated-G caliber attempted goof-ball romp that should entertain only very young children; but in reality, it is just an incredibly boring old movie that should not have survived past the decade in which it was born.

SOME LIKE IT HOT
Another commentor obsessed with the looks of the performers. 

The rest that got votes:

40-49pts:

Ben Hur

Rebel Without A Cause

To Catch a Thief

The Ladykillers

Bad Day At Black Rock

30-39pts:

Guys and Dolls

Oklahoma!

Rio Bravo

Picnic

Witness for the Prosecution

20-29pts:

The Man Who Knew too Much

Lady and the Tramp

Elevator to the Gallows

It, The Terror From Beyond Space

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Seventh Seal

Miter Roberts

The Trouble with Harry

The Defiant Ones

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Hidden Fortress

#1  238pts

12 votes

Misogynist and racial

This movie clearly misogynistic and racially biases. It represents the typical mental superiority complex of Americans. of the 12 jurors not even one is a woman, neither is one that represents the African American or hispanic or any other race that still part of the American system. 

12 ANGRY MEN
Even SJWs have people they wish weren't on their side, I'm guessing.

#1  238pts

12 votes

Misogynist and racial

This movie clearly misogynistic and racially biases. It represents the typical mental superiority complex of Americans. of the 12 jurors not even one is a woman, neither is one that represents the African American or hispanic or any other race that still part of the American system. Movie is shot in poor taste, acting is superficial and mediocre at best, this movie does deserve to be in top 250 movies of all time. I can think of 500 movies which have a better set of actors and better story and better director. Only reason this movie is in the top 10 is for a counter argument, that should never exist in the first place if the jurors had an iq that was better than 2 digits.

12 ANGRY MEN
And this, my friends, is the definition of a dip****.

So I'm the only one that gave Guys and Dolls points (and I gave it 30)?  Ouch.

This is by far the most variance in a list from my submission since we started this exercise.

I am taking a small break,  and will do the top 5 during lunch.   I think people can narrow down where the top 5 is going, so I don't it's much of a spoiler, but the movie I was referring to that didn't get a vote was Diabolique.  
I was hoping that I could finish that one in time, but got too tied up this weekend, and a foreign language film was not really an option to have on in the background while working. I'll have to go back to that one.

I'm also going to have to watch A Face in the Crowd given the praise it got here.

10-19pts:

Around the World in 80 Days

Old Yeller

The Big Country

No Time for Sergeants

Run Silent, Run Deep

Room at the Top

Kiss Me Deadly

I'm All Right Jack

The Mouse that Roared

Somebody Up There Likes Me

The Man Who Never Was

The Tarnished Angels

The Red Balloon

A Man Escaped

Single Digits:

The King and I

High Society

Damn Yankees

Sleeping Beauty

The Blob

Sweet Smell of Success

Some Came Running

Blackboard Jungle

From Hell It Came

Moby ****

Bell, Book, and Candle

The Great Man

Panther Panchali

Operation Petticoat

The Seven Year Itch

Gigi

Giant

The 3 Faces of Eve

The Girl Who Can't Help It

Thunder Road

The Rainmaker

The Man with The Golden Arm

East of Eden

Mon Oncle

Warlock

The FBI Story

Odds Against Tomorrow

Bob Le Flambeur

The Apu Trilogy (yes, all 3 in one vote, so suck it!!)  

This is by far the most variance in a list from my submission since we started this exercise.
I loved Guys & Dolls. I once bragged to my director cousin, who has wanted to remake it for years, that I could convert the mcguffin from a floating crap game to the WSOP and that the Fremont Street Experience would set just as good an opening as Times Square in the original. I musta watched it 40 times in a season trying to update the narrative logic but several of the songs were just too anachronistic for the doing and cuz didn't want to lose em.  I only had room for one musical on my list and argued between Oklahoma, this, and my eventual winner, South Pacific.

I rewatched 12 Angry Men last week and wasn't particularly blown away.  It's a fine film; Lumet does about as a good a job as possible in converting from the small to big screen and the ensemble acting is excellent.  But as a straightforward movie conversion of a (tele) play, its success ultimately depends on the quality of the script.  I'm probably more cynical than audiences were in 1957.  Hell, I'm more cynical than I was in 2017.  I didn't believe that Fonda's principled stance and quiet powers of persuasion could turn eleven angry men.  More elaborate productions can disguise the central premise but it's right there front and center in 12 Angry Men and I couldn't buy into it.

I rewatched 12 Angry Men last week and wasn't particularly blown away.  It's a fine film; Lumet does about as a good a job as possible in converting from the small to big screen and the ensemble acting is excellent.  But as a straightforward movie conversion of a (tele) play, its success ultimately depends on the quality of the script.  I'm probably more cynical than audiences were in 1957.  Hell, I'm more cynical than I was in 2017.  I didn't believe that Fonda's principled stance and quiet powers of persuasion could turn eleven angry men.  More elaborate productions can disguise the central premise but it's right there front and center in 12 Angry Men and I couldn't buy into it.
even tho i ended up moving it to my top 5 for historicity's sake, it's rather hilarious that the most epically Technicolor half-decade ever is now represented (though more by consensus than anything) by a one-room B&W picture

even tho i ended up moving it to my top 5 for historicity's sake, it's rather hilarious that the most epically Technicolor half-decade ever is now represented (though more by consensus than anything) by a one-room B&W picture
True dat.  Hollywood was racking their brains in response to the incursion of television and here we go rewarding a rich man's kinescope.

Except Fonda's juror didn't really try to persuade as much as he just asked questions.

And not all of the other 11 were angry either, just self absorbed, wishing they were somewhere else. They were forced to put aside their prejudices and see the situation not from the defendants point of view or even their own, but from that of Rule Of Law and Innocent Until Proven Guilty. 

I think it's a very "American" film and one that should be considered when we watch the news and assume a cop is guilty when we see a suspect get shot (as a rush to judgement example).

Yeah pretty funny. The year by year breadown definutely captures the spirit of 50s movies a lot more than 12 Angry Men.

I knew people liked 12 Angry Men, but I am very surprised it won. Lots of surprises and I really can't explain how Ben-Hur was so low. I thought that would be up pretty high given it's legendary blockbuster release and regular network airitme since then. 

I really can't explain how Ben-Hur was so low. I thought that would be up pretty high given it's legendary blockbuster release and regular network airitme since then. 
"Rat-a-tat-tat" is your answer. The epic lost out to the instant a long time ago. Probably a pretty interesting topic for debate as far who is more heroic, Spartacus or a guy who can hop from skyscraper to skyscraper and what are the moral & ethic implications of that.

Yeah pretty funny. The year by year breadown definutely captures the spirit of 50s movies a lot more than 12 Angry Men.

I knew people liked 12 Angry Men, but I am very surprised it won. Lots of surprises and I really can't explain how Ben-Hur was so low. I thought that would be up pretty high given it's legendary blockbuster release and regular network airitme since then. 
If the chariot race wasn't mentioned in the great scenes of the era, it should have been but overall I don't think the decades have been kind to Ben-Hur.

If the chariot race wasn't mentioned in the great scenes of the era, it should have been but overall I don't think the decades have been kind to Ben-Hur.
Great call on the chariot scene. The time hasn't been any less kind of Ben-Hur as it has been to The Ten Commandments. In general those big religious epics and sword/sandal epics didn't age all that well. 

Great call on the chariot scene. The time hasn't been any less kind of Ben-Hur as it has been to The Ten Commandments. In general those big religious epics and sword/sandal epics didn't age all that well. 
Even Kubrick's Spartacus is overwrought.

Nicholas Ray's King of Kings has its moments though.

Except Fonda's juror didn't really try to persuade as much as he just asked questions.

And not all of the other 11 were angry either, just self absorbed, wishing they were somewhere else. They were forced to put aside their prejudices and see the situation not from the defendants point of view or even their own, but from that of Rule Of Law and Innocent Until Proven Guilty. 

I think it's a very "American" film and one that should be considered when we watch the news and assume a cop is guilty when we see a suspect get shot (as a rush to judgement example).
We must have watched different versions

Happened to me in the 1992 poll.  Gave American Me 30 (and the only movie I gave 30 that year) and no one else gave it any.

I am also surprised Rio Bravo didn't muster much support. Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennan, Howard Hawks. Rotten Tomatoes has it ranked as 3rd best Western ever fwiw. 

Also I know we are done but if anyone missed some and still wanted to watch TCM is airing many of them:

Tonight (16th) at 10:00 Anatomy of a Murder and 1:15 Some Came Running (Sinatra, Deano, Shirley Maclaine get drunk, fight, laugh, put on acting clinic)

18th at 1:00 AM is A Face in the Crowd

21st at 1:30 PM North by Northwest 

Users who are viewing this thread