What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 81 LED ZEPPELIN SONGS: #1 - When The Levee Breaks from Led Zeppelin IV (1971) (1 Viewer)

#10 - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You from Led Zeppelin I (1969)

BIGLY was written and recorded by Anne Bredon in 1959. A woman named Janet Smith played it for Joan Baez, who recorded it in 1962, who didn’t know who wrote the song and listed it as a traditional song (ie, uncredited). Bredon would receive writing credit on subsequent pressings of the album. Page had a copy of the original album, so the LZ version was also released without Bredon receiving credit.

In an ironic twist, neither Bredon nor Smith had any knowledge that Zeppelin had recorded the song until 20 years later, when Smith’s son was listening to the song and she recognized it. She contacted Bredon, who contacted Atlantic Records and the band, and she walked away with a co-writing credit and a substantial back-royalty check.

I didn't realize Babe went all the way back to the 1950s, although not surprised given some of their other covers. Never heard that version by Quicksilver, one of my favorite bands of the '60s.
The origins of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" include several twists of fate. Anne Loeb Johannson was a grad student at Cal in 1959 who dabbled in folk music and occasionally participated in an open-mike show called "The Midnight Special" on local radio station KPFA (Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead made his performing debut on the same program, and he and Jerry Garcia both later worked at the station). Anyway, one night she performed a song she had written, called "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"; fellow student and folkie Janet Smith happened to be listening to the radio that night, and decided to add BIGLY to her own repertoire of songs. The next year, Smith transferred to Oberlin College in Ohio, where she maintained her interest in folk music and joined the student music committee, which happened to sponsor a concert by Joan Baez in early 1962. After that concert, the members of the music committee were invited backstage to meet Baez, which led to a jam session in which various students got to perform songs for her.  Smith happened to perform her rendition of BIGLY that night, and Baez was so impressed that she asked Smith for a copy of it. Smith then worked up a homemade demo tape which she mailed to Baez. It didn't even occur to Smith that she should include writing credits on the tape -- in the grand folkie tradition, she was more interested in spreading the music than tracking the royalties.

Baez immediately incorporated Smith's arrangement of BIGLY into her stage show, which led to the song's appearance on "Joan Baez In Concert" in September of 1962. Baez had naturally assumed that the song was in the public domain (and therefore did not require her to pay royalties -- not that such a concept mattered much in the days when the royalty rate was 2 cents per song and folk albums rarely sold more than a few thousand copies). Nonetheless, her record label did contact Smith to verify the song's origins, but Smith had some difficulty tracking down her former schoolmate Johannson, who was now going by her married name of Anne Bredon.

(Side note: Bredon's husband Glen Bredon was a professor at Cal and Rutgers who attained a bit of renown as a developer of Apple computer software in the early '80s.)

(Side side note: Anne Bredon's grandfather Jacques Loeb was a notable scientist in the early 1900s, whose experiments with artificial life once inspired Mark Twain to write the essay "Dr. Loeb's Incredible Discovery". He was also the inspiration for one of the lead characters in the Sinclair Lewis novel "Arrowsmith", the title of which may or may not have served as a subconscious inspiration for a certain rock band which itself had been influenced by Mr. Jimmy Page.)

Anyway, Smith eventually located Anne Bredon, and Bredon subsequently copyrighted BIGLY and started receiving regular royalty checks from Baez's record label. However, Bredon didn't bother to register the song with a music licensing organization (such as ASCAP or BMI) because she never thought that anyone else would want to license it. And since the major record labels used ASCAP and BMI to verify songwriting credits -- and since Baez's label didn't bother to add Bredon's name to the "In Concert" album -- it now becomes quite clear how Led Zeppelin ended up crediting the song as "Traditional".

Page and Plant have both told the story of listening to Baez's "In Concert" album during their first meeting -- and I don't doubt that story, but I also think it's possible that Page may have also been inspired by the version by The Association, a band which happened to have been the opening act for The Yardbirds for a couple shows in 1968. Even if Page had already been exposed to Baez's song, he may not have considered "electrifying" it until seeing The Association.

Last edited by a moderator:
If my timeline is right, the song was originally recorded early in 1968 when Jimmy Page was trying to get a new band together . . . but that version featured Steve Winwood on vocals. (Several times I have alluded to the fact that Winwood was in the running to head The New Yardbirds.) That version has never been officially released, but apparently, it’s been leaked online (and gets deleted as quickly as people post it).
The rumored version of BIGLY with Steve Winwood has never surfaced in any form, and may not even exist. Basically, the rumor is based on stitching together fragments of other factoids:

• Page has said that he started working on an arrangement of BIGLY in 1968.
  • Page and Winwood have both confirmed that they recorded together in 1968.
  • some sources/fans have speculated that Winwood was the keyboard player on these instrumentals, which were recorded in 1968 and may have contained embryonic ideas for how Page wanted to arrange BIGLY.
That's it.

#9 - Over The Hills And Far Away from Houses Of The Holy (1973)

Appeared On: 47 ballots (out of 62 . . . 75.8%)
Total Points: 646 points (out of 1,550 possible points . . .  41.7%)

#1 Rankers: @Ghost Rider@Cowboysfan8@Whyatt
Top 5 Rankers: @ConstruxBoy@wildwombat@Galileo@joker@Sullie@Dennis Castro@PIK95
Highest Ranking: 1

Live Performances:
LZ: 143 (Seattle - 1972-06-19 (First Performance)Long Beach - 1972-06-27, New York - 1973-07-28Los Angeles - 1975-03-25London - 1975-05-24Los Angeles - 1977-06-21Knebworth - 1979-08-04)
Page & Plant: 4 (Cleveland - 1995-10-16London - 1997-12-07)
Plant: 14 (Houston - 2010-07-24Albuquerque - 2010-07-18London - 2010-09-02)
Page: 13 (1988, 1988)

Covers: Chris Poland & SnowblyndGov't MuleJohn CraigieMary Ann RedmondCarl DixonGretchen WilsonJohanna KuninThe Boys of County NashvilleTwinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star, Zebra, Mr. Jimmy

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 13
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 6
Rolling Stone Ranking (out of 40 songs): 16
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 17
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): 26
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 11
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 1
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 6
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 63

It’s all powerhouse songs and top-notch voting results the rest of the way. We say goodbye to the HOTH album. Based on total points awarded to each album, it ends up as our #5 album. The gap from BIGLY to OTHAFA was the largest point total between any two songs (105 points). That’s a greater range than songs 49 to 81. Over the Hills earned three golds, three silvers, and a bronze. It also saw eleven Top 5 votes and twenty Top 10 votes. It’s our most voted for song yet, appearing on 47 ballots. If this were Baseball Hall of Fame balloting, OTHAFA would get inducted for appearing on 75.8% of all ballots. SPIN has it as their #1 overall Led Zeppelin tune.

OTHAFA was another song developed in one time frame (after LZ II in 1970) that appeared on a later album (skipping both LZ III and LZ IV). It was originally called Next One and then Many Many Times. It’s said to be a derivative of White Summer (which Page had developed for The Yardbirds) . . . even though LZ performed White Summer in tandem with Black Mountain Side. This is another song (of many) that was at first intended to be an instrumental. But Plant wrote lyrics and backing tracks and overdubs were added later.

The lyrics were inspired by the J.R.R. Tolkien book The Hobbit and his 1915 poem Over Old Hills And Far Away. Over The Hills describes an adventure the Hobbits embark on. There is also an old English song called Over The Hills And Far Away that dates back to the 18th century, which might be where the band got the title from. It’s also said to have been influenced by a traditional folk song called She Moved Through The Fair. It is also about living the hippie lifestyle and moving on after a breakup.

Guitar Mix Backing Track

Against the band’s wishes, the song was released as a single in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Finland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Yugoslavia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and Angola. It reached #51 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.

The song was one of the few in which a promotional video was made in 1990, to promote their recent box set releases. Video footage was culled from the 1977 and 1979 concerts and added to the song. IIRC, it was the only Zeppelin song featured on Beavis and Butthead in 1993.

The song was performed regularly from 1972 - 1979. It had been played 50 times before the Houses album was released. It was one of only a handful of LZ songs that was performed on Page’s 1988 Outrider tour.

While working on the HOTH album, the band was due to kickoff their 1972 tour in Singapore in 1972. But at the last moment they were denied permission. Their hair was deemed too long and thus did not comply with the country’s anti-hippy policy. The band was scheduled to play an outdoor show, but officials at the airport refused them entry. They were given the option of cutting their hair and refused. Not only were Led Zeppelin not allowed into the country, they were even refused permission to get off their plane and had to fly back to London.

Ultimate Classic Rock (13 of 92 songs): There's a lot going on here in less than five minutes, starting with the acoustic guitar that ushers in the song and ending with the full-band electric assault that carries "Over the Hills and Far Away" far from its initial pastoral bliss.

Vulture (6 of 74 songs): The opening guitar lines for decades were played by every young boy and girl with dreams of guitar-herodom alive in their heads. Sounds best on 12-string, of course, but you can make an approximation with six. There’s something charming in the acoustic opening’s slightly offbeat rhythms and friendly fills. It’s all there for another purpose, though — the blast of high-volume electric guitar that comes in at 1:27. Everything works, right up to the burst of abstract sound that sees the song out.

Rolling Stone (16 of 40 songs): Amazingly, this uncharacteristically poppy boogie-rock sugar shot was Zeppelin's first single that didn't make the Top 50. Plant sings a pure-hearted come-on over Page's open-road strumming, then the band kicks in for three minutes of fleet, booming choogle.

Louder (17 of 50 songs): One of the features of Houses Of The Holy that producer Eddie Kramer identified to Classic Rock in 2017 is how most of the tracks have their own boutique ending: the orgasmic ‘Oh!’ at the end of The Song Remains The Same; the echoing guitar at the climax of The Rain Song. Over The Hills And Far Away (originally titled Many Many Times) finishes with a similar coda, created by Page using a reverb guitar effect with Jones’s keyboard part. “I can’t remember exactly, but I think it was something I suggested at the mixing stage,” said Kramer. “I used to do something similar with Hendrix sometimes – fade the track out, then bring it back, like an extra breath.” What really makes this track, though, he said, “is that it really shows off the Zeppelin preoccupation with light and shade, acoustic and electric”.

Uproxx (26 of 50 songs): Houses Of The Holy truly is the most “fun” Zeppelin album, the one where they pretty much tried everything. This one is the “let’s revisit our Led Zeppelin III guise but do it slightly better” track. It’s also the song of choice for dorm-room guitar pickers. This probably goes without saying, but it’s best to avoid anyone who’s opening line is, “Hey lady, you got the love I need / maybe more than enough.”

WMGK (11 of 92 songs): A song about moving on after heartbreak, Over The Hills And Far Away is a lyrical departure for Zep. Surely countless souls recovering from a breakup have taken solace in “Many have I loved, and many times been bitten/Many times I've gazed along the open road.” Translation: sure, you’ve been dumped, but this, too, shall pass.

SPIN (1 out of 87 songs): Why Over the Hills? It’s not the band’s best-known song or biggest hit. It’s not the band’s most rocking or prettiest song. It’s probably not the first song that anyone thinks of when they think of Led Zeppelin. But it is the song that best demonstrates just about everything the band does well: the unforgettable and impossible-to-pin-down opening riff, the life-affirming transition from acoustic to electric, the constant switches in tone and dynamic, the piercing solo with double-tracked climax, the impeccable interplay of guitar, bass, and drum, the inimitable Plant shrieking, the gorgeous coda, even the super-oblique title… it’s Zep through and through, checking all of the boxes and kicking your ### while doing so.

But the thing that really seals it for Over the Hills is the sense of wonder it inspires. Zeppelin’s greatest quality, apart from the weird time signatures and otherworldly instrumentation and teenage-male-pandering lyrics, was their ability to elevate, to make you believe that there was a secret world of higher musical understanding that only they as the Ultimate Rock Gods had access to, and which they could transport you to for three to ten minutes at a time, depending on which side of which album you were listening to.

The climax of Over the Hills, as the song’s main hook starts to fold in on itself, and Plant does his “You really ought to know…” wailing, as the song echoes on and on into infinity, is as wondrous as the band ever got, achieving a classic-rock nirvana that only a handful of songs in history have ever been lucky enough to be able to touch. The harpsichord outro and brief fade-in of the rest of the band that closes the song brings it back down to earth a little, but the sensation lingers on far after you’re done listening. Zeppelin rules.

1--
2--The Song Remains The Same--23
3--
4--
5--Going To California--13
6--Over The Hills And Far Away--9
7--
8--Babe I'm Going To Leave You--10
9--Heartbreaker--12
10--Fool In The Rain--35
11--
12--
13--Communication Breakdown--18
14--Rock and Roll--14
15--How Many More Times--27
16--Good Times Bad Times--11
17--All My Love--44
18--What Is and What Should Never Be--16
19--House Of The Holy--37
20--The Ocean--20
21--The Battle of Evermore--21
22--In The Evening--34
23--Misty Mountain Hop--25
24--
25--Achilles Last Stand--33

re done listening. Zeppelin rules.
Didn't hit my board, was never a consideration.  I don't know what it is about this tune.  There is nothing wrong with it but it definitely doesn't move me in any direction.  I wouldn't turn it off, so there is that.  I think of this one in the same vain that I think of "Wish You Were Here", another song that doesn't go anywhere for me.

Oh well, obviously its well received.

YOU ####### HIPPIE BASTIDS MAY JUST MAKE IMMIGRANT SONG #1!!!!1!!1!!11111!!!!11111!
Some of the heavier songs have lasted longer than I thought.  I didn't think Dazed and Confused would still be around.  I think its fair that it is but considering the taste of this board, I'm a little surprised.

I figured Immigrant Song would be popular but wouldn't have been at all surprised if it didn't make top 10.  I think its just out of the top 5 now

Some of the heavier songs have lasted longer than I thought.  I didn't think Dazed and Confused would still be around.  I think its fair that it is but considering the taste of this board, I'm a little surprised.

I figured Immigrant Song would be popular but wouldn't have been at all surprised if it didn't make top 10.  I think its just out of the top 5 now

every time i recall i left D & C outta my top 5 (TUF, TYG, CB, ALS, IS) i wanna ring my own doorbell, and punch the living snot outta myself ... in front of mother and baby, yes. 

:unsure:

every time i recall i left D & C outta my top 5 (TUF, TYG, CB, ALS, IS) i wanna ring my own doorbell, and punch the living snot outta myself ... in front of mother and baby, yes. 

I had Immigrant Song and Dazed and Confused back to back at 13 and 14. On a different day they could have made the top 10 for sure.  

I hope they finish well but their number is probably up in a few more.  

Just waiting for Stairway to Heaven to clear and the rest of the top 10 is in my 25.  I think you guys put Stairway in the top 3 though

I get why others do not put it at number 1, but Over the Hills and Far Away has been my favorite LZ song for as long as I can remember. 

Right behind We Die Young
Oh, I like that one. So much fun. 

Now I know that I'm not
All that you got
I guess that I, I just thought
Maybe we could find new ways to fall apart
But our friends are back
So let's raise a cup
'Cause I found someone to carry me home

Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun

Oh, I like that one. So much fun. 

Now I know that I'm not
All that you got
I guess that I, I just thought
Maybe we could find new ways to fall apart
But our friends are back
So let's raise a cup
'Cause I found someone to carry me home

Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
I think you left out Scary on the Wall

Live Performances:
LZ: 143 (Seattle - 1972-06-19 (First Performance)Long Beach - 1972-06-27, New York - 1973-07-28Los Angeles - 1975-03-25London - 1975-05-24Los Angeles - 1977-06-21Knebworth - 1979-08-04)
Page & Plant: 4 (Cleveland - 1995-10-16London - 1997-12-07)
Plant: 14 (Houston - 2010-07-24Albuquerque - 2010-07-18London - 2010-09-02)
Page: 13 (1988, 1988)

Covers: Chris Poland & SnowblyndGov't MuleJohn CraigieMary Ann RedmondCarl DixonGretchen WilsonJohanna KuninThe Boys of County NashvilleTwinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star, Zebra, Mr. Jimmy

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 13
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 6
Rolling Stone Ranking (out of 40 songs): 16
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 17
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): 26
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 11
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 1
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 6
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 63

It’s all powerhouse songs and top-notch voting results the rest of the way. We say goodbye to the HOTH album. Based on total points awarded to each album, it ends up as our #5 album. The gap from BIGLY to OTHAFA was the largest point total between any two songs (105 points). That’s a greater range than songs 49 to 81. Over the Hills earned three golds, three silvers, and a bronze. It also saw eleven Top 5 votes and twenty Top 10 votes. It’s our most voted for song yet, appearing on 47 ballots. If this were Baseball Hall of Fame balloting, OTHAFA would get inducted for appearing on 75.8% of all ballots. SPIN has it as their #1 overall Led Zeppelin tune.

OTHAFA was another song developed in one time frame (after LZ II in 1970) that appeared on a later album (skipping both LZ III and LZ IV). It was originally called Next One and then Many Many Times. It’s said to be a derivative of White Summer (which Page had developed for The Yardbirds) . . . even though LZ performed White Summer in tandem with Black Mountain Side. This is another song (of many) that was at first intended to be an instrumental. But Plant wrote lyrics and backing tracks and overdubs were added later.

The lyrics were inspired by the J.R.R. Tolkien book The Hobbit and his 1915 poem Over Old Hills And Far Away. Over The Hills describes an adventure the Hobbits embark on. There is also an old English song called Over The Hills And Far Away that dates back to the 18th century, which might be where the band got the title from. It’s also said to have been influenced by a traditional folk song called She Moved Through The Fair. It is also about living the hippie lifestyle and moving on after a breakup.

Guitar Mix Backing Track

Against the band’s wishes, the song was released as a single in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Finland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Yugoslavia, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, and Angola. It reached #51 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.

The song was one of the few in which a promotional video was made in 1990, to promote their recent box set releases. Video footage was culled from the 1977 and 1979 concerts and added to the song. IIRC, it was the only Zeppelin song featured on Beavis and Butthead in 1993.

The song was performed regularly from 1972 - 1979. It had been played 50 times before the Houses album was released. It was one of only a handful of LZ songs that was performed on Page’s 1988 Outrider tour.

While working on the HOTH album, the band was due to kickoff their 1972 tour in Singapore in 1972. But at the last moment they were denied permission. Their hair was deemed too long and thus did not comply with the country’s anti-hippy policy. The band was scheduled to play an outdoor show, but officials at the airport refused them entry. They were given the option of cutting their hair and refused. Not only were Led Zeppelin not allowed into the country, they were even refused permission to get off their plane and had to fly back to London.

Ultimate Classic Rock (13 of 92 songs): There's a lot going on here in less than five minutes, starting with the acoustic guitar that ushers in the song and ending with the full-band electric assault that carries "Over the Hills and Far Away" far from its initial pastoral bliss.

Vulture (6 of 74 songs): The opening guitar lines for decades were played by every young boy and girl with dreams of guitar-herodom alive in their heads. Sounds best on 12-string, of course, but you can make an approximation with six. There’s something charming in the acoustic opening’s slightly offbeat rhythms and friendly fills. It’s all there for another purpose, though — the blast of high-volume electric guitar that comes in at 1:27. Everything works, right up to the burst of abstract sound that sees the song out.

Rolling Stone (16 of 40 songs): Amazingly, this uncharacteristically poppy boogie-rock sugar shot was Zeppelin's first single that didn't make the Top 50. Plant sings a pure-hearted come-on over Page's open-road strumming, then the band kicks in for three minutes of fleet, booming choogle.

Louder (17 of 50 songs): One of the features of Houses Of The Holy that producer Eddie Kramer identified to Classic Rock in 2017 is how most of the tracks have their own boutique ending: the orgasmic ‘Oh!’ at the end of The Song Remains The Same; the echoing guitar at the climax of The Rain Song. Over The Hills And Far Away (originally titled Many Many Times) finishes with a similar coda, created by Page using a reverb guitar effect with Jones’s keyboard part. “I can’t remember exactly, but I think it was something I suggested at the mixing stage,” said Kramer. “I used to do something similar with Hendrix sometimes – fade the track out, then bring it back, like an extra breath.” What really makes this track, though, he said, “is that it really shows off the Zeppelin preoccupation with light and shade, acoustic and electric”.

Uproxx (26 of 50 songs): Houses Of The Holy truly is the most “fun” Zeppelin album, the one where they pretty much tried everything. This one is the “let’s revisit our Led Zeppelin III guise but do it slightly better” track. It’s also the song of choice for dorm-room guitar pickers. This probably goes without saying, but it’s best to avoid anyone who’s opening line is, “Hey lady, you got the love I need / maybe more than enough.”

WMGK (11 of 92 songs): A song about moving on after heartbreak, Over The Hills And Far Away is a lyrical departure for Zep. Surely countless souls recovering from a breakup have taken solace in “Many have I loved, and many times been bitten/Many times I've gazed along the open road.” Translation: sure, you’ve been dumped, but this, too, shall pass.

SPIN (1 out of 87 songs): Why Over the Hills? It’s not the band’s best-known song or biggest hit. It’s not the band’s most rocking or prettiest song. It’s probably not the first song that anyone thinks of when they think of Led Zeppelin. But it is the song that best demonstrates just about everything the band does well: the unforgettable and impossible-to-pin-down opening riff, the life-affirming transition from acoustic to electric, the constant switches in tone and dynamic, the piercing solo with double-tracked climax, the impeccable interplay of guitar, bass, and drum, the inimitable Plant shrieking, the gorgeous coda, even the super-oblique title… it’s Zep through and through, checking all of the boxes and kicking your ### while doing so.

But the thing that really seals it for Over the Hills is the sense of wonder it inspires. Zeppelin’s greatest quality, apart from the weird time signatures and otherworldly instrumentation and teenage-male-pandering lyrics, was their ability to elevate, to make you believe that there was a secret world of higher musical understanding that only they as the Ultimate Rock Gods had access to, and which they could transport you to for three to ten minutes at a time, depending on which side of which album you were listening to.

The climax of Over the Hills, as the song’s main hook starts to fold in on itself, and Plant does his “You really ought to know…” wailing, as the song echoes on and on into infinity, is as wondrous as the band ever got, achieving a classic-rock nirvana that only a handful of songs in history have ever been lucky enough to be able to touch. The harpsichord outro and brief fade-in of the rest of the band that closes the song brings it back down to earth a little, but the sensation lingers on far after you’re done listening. Zeppelin rules.
My rank: 22

My friend's rank: 5

As with What Is And What Should Never Be and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I love the dynamics of this one -- and this might even be a more sophisticated version of what those two accomplished. Everyone is in top form here and they take us on a journey from gentle acoustic reverie to intense electric riffage to thumping rhythm to extremely cool vocal and sound effects at the end. I never get tired of it, as much as it was overplayed back in the day.

My friend is big on Houses and also loves the dynamics of this one. And I think he WAS one of those dudes who played this on acoustic guitar in his dorm room to impress chicks. 

Didn't hit my board, was never a consideration.  I don't know what it is about this tune.  There is nothing wrong with it but it definitely doesn't move me in any direction.  I wouldn't turn it off, so there is that.  I think of this one in the same vain that I think of "Wish You Were Here", another song that doesn't go anywhere for me.

Oh well, obviously its well received.
Wow

I had Hills just a bit lower at #12 but it is top 10 worthy.

My top 25 (consensus)

2. Since I've Been Loving You (15)
4. The Rain Song (17)
5. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (10)
6. The Ocean (20)
8. Travelling Riverside Blues (43)
9. Ten Years Gone (22)
10. Heartbreaker / Living Loving Maid (12)
11. Good Times Bad Times (11)
12. Over the Hills and Far Away (9)
13. What is and What Should Never Be (16)
19. Hey, Hey, What Can I Do (24)
20. Going to California (13)
21. In My Time of Dying (26)
22. Houses of the Holy (37)
23. Communication Breakdown (18)
24. I Can't Quit You Baby (50)
25. Your Time is Gonna Come (39)

The 5 consensus top 25 songs that didn't make my list:

Rock & Roll (14)
No Quarter (19)
The Battle of Evermore (21)
The Song Remains the Same (23)
Misty Mountain Hop (25)

i know it's splitting wee hairs at this point, but i don't see OTHAFA as being in the same league as BIGLY. 

i do recall reading in Circus magazine that OTHAFA was the greatest rock song ever recorded ... that issue was published in '73, of course, and the hype around HoTH album was immense. 

very good tune, tho - but not this high for me. 

OTHAFA was my #21 - never really considered it for top 10 but it also was in no danger of being left out.  Would have been interesting if my top 7 matched the consensus top 7 but my runs ends here.  

8. The Ocean - (20)
9. Good Times Bad Times - (11)
10. What Is And What Should Never Be - (16)
11. Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)    - (12)
12. Communication Breakdown - (18)
13. The Battle Of Evermore - (21)
14. Going to California - (13)
16. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (10)      
17. Dancing Days - (41)
18. Thank You - (30)
19. Hey, Hey, What Can I Do - (24)
20. Houses Of the Holy - (37)
21. Over The Hills And Far Away - (9)
22. Trampled Under Foot - (31)
23. Four Sticks - (53)
24. Gallows Pole - (36)
25. Misty Mountain Hop - (25)

Like ghost posted earlier, OTHAFA has been my favorite Zeppelin song for a very long time. While creating my list I challenged this and I couldn’t displace it. The spin review does a nice job of summarizing the reasons - this song is a showcase of most of the elements which make Led Zeppelin both outstanding and unique.

I am happy to see the #9 ranking for this song, in the elite territory it deserves. I continue to believe the HotH album is underrated, I ranked the first three songs 7, 2, and 1 on my list, probably my favorite opening lineup on an album.

I love Over the Hills and Far Away, it sorta feels like Stairway to Heaven 2.  I get the same vibe from both songs.
I left this out of the write up because several people already disagreed with this guy over other songs . . .

Gordon Fletcher of Rolling Stone criticized Over the Hills and Far Away, opining that the track is "cut from the same mold as Stairway To Heaven, but becomes dull without that song's torrid guitar solo."

I don't disagree too much with his assessment. I also think it's a bit too Stairway To Heaven 2 . . . which I am not a fan off. So to have a not as good sequel to a song I don't love to begin with = left off my list.

I never really got into OTHAFA. It just sort of plateaus for me and doesn't get me revved up. I don't run for the hills (pardon the pun) when it comes on, but I could take it or leave it. It's just ok for me.

3. Rock and Roll (14)

11. Tangerine (28)

12. Communication Breakdown (18)

13. Achilles Last Stand (33)

14. Good Times Bad Times (11)

15. Ten Years Gone (22)

16. The Song Remains the Same (23)

17. What Is and What Should Never Be (16)

18. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (10)

19. Since I've Been Loving You (15)

20. No Quarter (19)

21. The Rain Song (17)

22. Over The Hills and Far Away (9)

23. Celebration Day (52)

24. Baby I Can't Quit You (50)

25. Hey, Hey, What Can I Do (24)

Not in my top 25

Going To California (13)

#8 - Immigrant Song from Led Zeppelin III (1970)

Appeared On: 45 ballots (out of 62 . . . 72.6%)
Total Points: 664 points (out of 1,550 possible points . . .  42.8%)

#1 Rankers: @Andrew74
Top 5 Rankers: @Sinn Fein@AAABatteries@FairWarning@worrierking@jwb@Long Ball Larry@SteevieG@DocHolliday@Joe Schmo@2Young2BBald@jamny DEADHEAD

Live Performances:
LZ: 122 (Bath Festival - 1970-6-28 (First Performance)London - 1971-04-01Orlando - 1971-08-31, Osaka - 1971-09-29Long Beach - 1972-06-27Bradford - 1973-01-18 (Final Performance))
Page & Plant: 14 (Intro Riff Only)
Plant: 88 (Pittsburgh - 1988-10-24, Knebworth - 1990-06-30Reykjavik - 2019-06-23)

Covers: Nirvana, Beck & Page, Foo Fighters, Heart, Queen, Aerosmith, Sebastian BachUmphrey's McGeeDemons & WizardsStryperSaxonDiamond HeadTrent ReznorRoyal Crescent MobInfectious GroovesGotthard, Dread Zeppelin, Zoffy, LotusStrikeforce, Slaughter, Myles Kennedy & Slash, Joe Satriani, Chris Cornell, moe., Smashing Pumpkins, The Offspring, SteelheartIngrid Michaelson, Great White, Incubus, Sammy Hagar, Lynch Mob, Neal SchonHeidevolkAngra & Sepultura, Crimson Day, Vince Neil, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Shift

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 5
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 8
Rolling Stone Ranking (out of 40 songs): 7
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 7
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): 15
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 3
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 10
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 4
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 6

We say hello to the Elite Eight but goodbye to Led Zeppelin III, which finishes as out 6th most popular album. One person ranked IS as their Zeppelin fave, 3 people had it second, and 3 people marked it down for third. Rounding things out, it saw 13 Top 5 votes, 21 Top 10, and 45 people voted for it. I haven’t researched it, but this may be the first back-to-back songs that were issued as singles. It’s our favorite track with “Song” in the title (Lemon, Wanton, Remains The Same, Rain, or Immigrant). At one point, it had a run of 9 Top 5 votes in 15 ballots. Eight of the 9 outside rankers had it Top.

Some LZ historians believe the band was intent on releasing a lead single from LZ III, and that the foundation of that song was IS in 1969. There apparently was talk of a hard hitting, all out rocker as a single to launch the album. That seems a little odd given that a lot of the album is acoustic.

The song peaked at #16 in the U.S. and was also released in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Jamaica, Mexico, Japan, and the Philippines. It made the Top 10 on 10 different charts.

The song was inspired after an official cultural visit to Iceland on 1970-06-22 and performance at the Laugardalsholl Sports Center in Reykjavik. The song was developed so quickly that it was first performed in their next show, six days later, at the Bath Festival on 1970-06-28. It’s working title was called Song in F (Overlord).

Alternate MixPulpFusion MixPendulum Remix

Plant recalls, “We weren't being pompous ... We did come from the land of the ice and snow. We were guests of the Icelandic Government on a cultural mission. We were invited to play a concert in Reykjavik, and the day before we arrived all the civil servants went on strike and the gig was going to be cancelled. The university prepared a concert hall for us and it was phenomenal. The response from the kids was remarkable, and we had a great time. Immigrant Song was about that trip, and it was the opening track on the album that was intended to be incredibly different.”

Ever the historian, Plant built the lyrics around the Vikings and their mythology surrounding their gods. Decades later, the song would appear in, and was used extensively, to promote the MCU film Thor: Ragnarok.

Page added, “It felt right for the album to have a rocky side and a folky side, and the rocky side clearly had to start with Immigrant Song. With the hypnotic riff and Robert’s bloodcurdling scream, I thought ‘That’s the way to open an album.’”

Here was a review of their Bath Festival show from Melody Maker:

“By 8 PM, it was estimated that a quarter of a million people – roughly the population of the city of Leeds – were champing at the bit awaiting Led Zeppelin. Half-an-hour to set up – then the members of THE definitive ‘heavy’ band strode on stage – Robert Plant, looking more like Norse warrior than ever, Jimmy Page looking like Mad Dan Eccles in an ankle length overcoat and yokel’s hat over his ears, John Bonham in purple vest crouched behind his green drums and John Paul Jones in “straight” trendy gear clutched his bass guitar.

They kicked off with a new riff from their next album called Immigrant Song. They actually took some time to warm up the crowd, but this may have been intentional as they built up to a fantastic climax with an act lasting over three hours.

Jimmy produced his violin bow to attack the guitar strings, and John Paul was featured on Hammond organ on Since I’ve Been Loving You. It was after John Bonham’s phenomenal drum solo – violent, aggressive and furiously fast – had brought the crowd permanently to their feet, that the real fun began!

They had contrasted their rock style with the beautiful The First Time (aka That’s the Way) featuring John Paul on mandolin and Jim on six-string acoustic with Robert singing in the most attractive restrained style. Now it was time for the other extreme.

A wild rock medley - How Many More Times. The crowd wouldn’t let them go. Tambourines thrown to the fans. As dusk fell and the lights flickered on the band roared into Communication Breakdown.

ANOTHER ENCORE – at 10:50pm Zeppelin had won. They had made all the hang-ups worthwhile and given the crowd a night to remember – whatever else happened. In their final minutes, they paid tribute to the masters of Rock and Roll with the songs of Little Richard, Elvis Presley, and Chuck Berry.”

SETLIST: Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Dazed and Confused, Bring It On Home, Since I've Been Loving You, Thank You, That's the Way, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby ****, How Many More Times, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown, Long Tall Sally, Say Mama, Johnny B. Goode, That's All Right, Long Tall Sally reprise.

Lester Bangs of Rolling Stone described Immigrant Song as the closest to being as classic as Whole Lotta Love, praising the song's "bulldozer rhythms and Plant's double-tracked wordless vocal crossings echoing behind the main vocal like some cannibal chorus wailing in the infernal light of a savage fertility rite." Cash Box described the song as "filling the aural spectrum once again with wall to wall power," stating that the song has "biting vocals and an unmatched instrumental impact.

Led Zeppelin originally denied director Richard Linklater permission to use Immigrant Song for the film School of Rock. To try to get permission to use the song in the movie, actor Jack Black videotaped himself singing in front of a huge crowd of people, begging Led Zeppelin to let them use the song. Their over the top effort succeeded. Black said, “It may seem corny, but it worked. The moral of the story is, don't be too proud to beg.”

Immigrant Song was performed 122 times . . . including 25 time before LZ III was released. It remained on the setlist through 1972 with one additional performance in 1973. Plant has played it 88 times (only once in the past 30 years), and Page and Plant played the opening riff as a lead in to other songs 14 times.

Ultimate Classic Rock (5 of 92 songs): Led Zeppelin's third album is mostly known for its stripped-down, acoustic tone. Not this charging song, the opening track that serves as the storm before the calm. It's all vikings, earth-trampling guitars and a stuttering riff that explodes from the speakers.  And it hit the Top 20 on the singles chart.

Vulture (8 of 74 songs): The lead off track to III doesn’t rest or flag for 2:26. This Norse mini-epic is perennially prized by metal heads (see, for example, Jack Black in School of Rock) for its attack, cauterizing even by Page standards, its straight-outta-Asgard lyrics, the wild sounds, and its being the source of the definitive Zeppelin aperçu— “Hammer of the Gods?!?!” — delivered by Plant with a hilarious Dr. Evil–esque lilt.

Rolling Stone (7 of 40 songs): No hard-rock song has ever had a more ominous opening line: "We come from the land of the ice and snow." It was inspired by the band's concert in Iceland in June 1970, a month when the sun never fully sets. Plant started fantasizing about vikings and wrote in the voice of a Norse chieftain leading a sea invasion and expecting to die. It "was supposed to be powerful and funny," he said. Page's menacing staccato riff could scare Thor into surrendering, and Plant's Tarzan holler adds another layer of primal barbarism.

Louder (7 of 50 songs): This tune was recorded in Olympic Studios, London, in the summer of 1970, where Jimmy and John Bonham laid down the backing tracks to Immigrant Song inside a small, low ceilinged room that looked more like somebody’s private den than a high-tech studio. The song was just an untitled piece, a relentless, pounding theme, hypnotic in its intensity… Jimmy was slouched over his guitar while Bonham crouched over his kit, glaring at the snare drum. He wasn’t a man to be interrupted while concentrating on a new riff. If Bonham took one thing seriously, it was pleasing his guitarist with the right kind of beat. The pair always worked closely, and Bonham’s propulsive pattern soon helped to shape this unlikely Viking saga.

It had been inspired by a trip to Iceland in June that year when Robert Plant became intrigued by Nordic myths and legends. The tune was unveiled at the Bath Festival in June when the band played in front of 200,000 fans. Jimmy wore his country yokel’s hat and Robert’s beard made him look like a Viking who’d just arrived by longboat. Immigrant Song was released as a single in the US, coupled with Hey, Hey What Can I Do in November. It went on to claim the number one hot spot during a 13-week run in the Billboard chart.

Uproxx (15 of 50 songs): Robert Plant once claimed that all of the big-balled viking imagery in this song is intentionally funny, and I’m inclined to believe him. Immigrant Song, The Lemon Song, The Crunge, Hot Dog - Zeppelin was sillier than they get credit for, probably because Page’s riff and Bonham’s drums are kicking too much ### for anyone to laugh.

WMGK (3 of 92 songs): While Zeppelin never liked being associated with heavy metal, this song did quite a bit to create the template for that genre: Page’s percussive riffing, Bonham’s heavy drumming, and of course, Robert Plant’s banshee vocals telling tales of vikings that come from “the land of the ice and snow.” Plant and Page may wince when asked about metal, but the feeling definitely isn’t mutual.

SPIN (10 of 87 songs): With an opening and riff as classic as either “Love” or “Dog” (and twice as violent), “Immigrant Song” also has the advantage of being under 150 seconds long, an improbably compact shore-invading assault that barely gives you time to process its ###-kicking awesomeness before it gives way to “Friends” on LZIII. Any hockey game where this song isn’t played at least once — and preferably once per goal, home or away — is not giving its attending fans the experience they deserve. (And in terms of geeky metal imagery cliches, norse mytholygy >>>> Frodo.)

1--
2--The Song Remains The Same--23
3--
4--Immigrant Song--8
5--Going To California--13
6--Over The Hills And Far Away--9
7--
8--Babe I'm Going To Leave You--10
9--Heartbreaker--12
10--Fool In The Rain--35
11--
12--
13--Communication Breakdown--18
14--Rock and Roll--14
15--How Many More Times--27
16--Good Times Bad Times--11
17--All My Love--44
18--What Is and What Should Never Be--16
19--House Of The Holy--37
20--The Ocean--20
21--The Battle of Evermore--21
22--In The Evening--34
23--Misty Mountain Hop--25
24--
25--Achilles Last Stand--33

Immigrant Song is amazing. I feel like I underrated it by having it only at 11.  What an astonishing ball of energy it is, all wrapped up in under 2 1/2 minutes.  No clue how accurate this is, but a guy I worked with in the 90s played bass and was a MONSTER LZ fan and said the bass line in this song was extremely difficult to get just right. 

Immigrant Song is amazing. I feel like I underrated it by having it only at 11.  What an astonishing ball of energy it is, all wrapped up in under 2 1/2 minutes.  No clue how accurate this is, but a guy I worked with in the 90s played bass and was a MONSTER LZ fan and said the bass line in this song was extremely difficult to get just right. 
Incredibly hard to play. He is correct.

I left this out of the write up because several people already disagreed with this guy over other songs . . .

Gordon Fletcher of Rolling Stone criticized Over the Hills and Far Away, opining that the track is "cut from the same mold as Stairway To Heaven, but becomes dull without that song's torrid guitar solo."

I don't disagree too much with his assessment. I also think it's a bit too Stairway To Heaven 2 . . . which I am not a fan off. So to have a not as good sequel to a song I don't love to begin with = left off my list.

I never really got into OTHAFA. It just sort of plateaus for me and doesn't get me revved up. I don't run for the hills (pardon the pun) when it comes on, but I could take it or leave it. It's just ok for me.
Not sure if serious or shtick? Gordon Fletcher? Stairway to Heaven II?

A quote from the already debunked (in this thread) GF:

“When you really get down to it Led Zeppelin hasn’t come up with a consistent crop of heavymetal spuds since their second album…An occasional zinger like “When the Levee Breaks” isn’t enough, especially when there are so many other groups today that don’t bull#### around with inferior tripe like “Stairway To Heaven.””

the-top-15-bull####-album-reviews-rolling-stone-magazine-had-the-balls-to-publish

IS was my #2 - I love everything about it and clocking in 2:26 it never gets old.  Could listen to this song every day and never get tired of it.  If it was 5 minutes long then it would probably be my #1.

IS was my #2 - I love everything about it and clocking in 2:26 it never gets old.  Could listen to this song every day and never get tired of it.  If it was 5 minutes long then it would probably be my #1.
Same here.  

Down to one song left here. I may be the first one out.

Users who are viewing this thread