What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 81 LED ZEPPELIN SONGS: #1 - When The Levee Breaks from Led Zeppelin IV (1971) (3 Viewers)

Love the write up and I had (and really still have) a somewhat similar love of Coda.  At age 10, In Through the Out Door was the first Album I bought with my own money and I still remember taking off the cellophane and playing it end to end (this will explain the higher ranking of some songs of this album).  I still have a vivid memory of listing to WLLZ in Detroit and Doug -The Doc of Rock - Podell stopping a song in play to announce that John Bonham had passed.  I was dating a girl in high school who worked in a record store and I read in Circus of Hit Parader about the release of Coda and she was able to get me a pre-order.  Corny, but I don't remember being all that impressed with the songs, but pleased that, other than grainy bootlegs I'd pick up at The Groove Shop, there was one more studio-ish album out there.  Very cool song pick and :popcorn:  to see what else from Coda makes the cut.  Ozone Baby was very close to my top 25 for the reasons above. 

#75 – The Crunge from Houses of the Holy (1973)

Appeared On: 2 ballots (out of 62) . . . 3.2%
Total Points: 4 points (out of 1,550 possible points . . .  0.258%)
Rankers: @Long Ball Larry@Galileo
Highest Ranking: 23

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 2 (Vancouver - 1975-03-19, Long Beach - 1975-03-11)
Page & Plant: 2 (Glascow -1995-07-12)
Robert Plant: 1

Other Versions: Gov't Mule (Can't find it)

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 67
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 70
Rolling Stone Ranking (out of 40 songs): Not Ranked
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): Not Ranked
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): Not Ranked
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 53
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 49
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): Not Ranked
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 32

Finally, a song that I didn’t pick. The Crunge is the closing track to Side 1 of the fifth album. It was predominantly written by John Bonham and developed out of a jam in the studio. He decided to create a funk beat that stepped on and off the beat, making it impossible to dance to. Plant improvised a set of lyrics in the manner of James Brown over the music, parodying Brown's "Take it to the Bridge" vocal towards the end of the track. Plant starts mimicking and asking, "has anybody seen the bridge?" in a similar style to that of the Godfather of Soul. The kicker is The Crunge doesn’t have a bridge. 

To further show that the song was a tongue-in-cheek joke, the group considered putting "dance steps" to the song on the cover at one stage. The track was occasionally performed as an impromptu piece in concert, usually in the middle of another song such as the fast guitar solo section in Dazed and Confused or Whole Lotta Love.

In a contemporary review of Houses of the Holy, Gordon Fletcher of Rolling Stone gave The Crunge a negative review, calling it a "naked imitation", along with D'yer Mak'er, and "easily one of the worst things the band has ever attempted.” "It reproduces James Brown so faithfully that it's every bit as boring, repetitive and clichéd as "Good Foot". Yakety-yak guitar, boom-boom bass, astoundingly idiotic lyrics ("when she walks, she walks, and when she talks, she talks") — it's all there. So is Jones' synthesizer, spinning absolutely superfluous electronic fills."

The song was also released as the B-side of the D'yer Mak'er single, which was issued in America. The Crunge was rarely performed live, but it would occasionally be included as part of a medley.

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (67 of 92 songs): Not a song but a three-minute attempt at a funk jam a la James Brown. Crunge? More like cringe.

Vulture Ranking (70 of 74 songs): Weird guitar sounds, even weirder lyrics. The band was trying to do James Brown here, and the result is the least interesting song of Zep’s classic period.

WMGK Ranking (53 of 92 songs): Zeppelin’s tribute to James Brown wasn’t quite as successful as their many tributes to their blues heroes, but The Crunge is one of their funniest songs, particularly when Robert Plant puts his spin on Brown’s “take it to the bridge!” cry: “Has anybody seen the bridge? Have you seen the bridge? I ain't seen the bridge! Where's that confounded bridge?”

SPIN Ranking (49 of 87 songs): Oft-derided by Zep fans for its faux-funk awkwardness and general frivolity, The Crunge nonetheless has its charms. The stop-start intro groove, the band’s unwillingness to determine any kind of pocket to get into, and of course, Plant’s dogged, James Brown-like pursuit of that ever-elusive bridge… it’s all very silly, but it’s good fun from a band that certainly needed an injection of lightheartedness every now and then. It’s not like anything the Godfather of Soul would sign off on, but it’s also not really like anything else, ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha...I appreciate that write up. I couldn't tell you anything about crunge before it nor did I ever have any interest either. It's always been an auto skip and I never thought anything of it. I think better about that decision having read this too. It being overtly attached to D'Yer Mak'er is oddly perfect in my mind.

If my sister was named Darlene and she saved Robert Plant from a burning car and he wrote the song after her…it still wouldn’t crack my top 25.  That’s how much I dislike that song.  It does nothing for me.  Enjoyed the write up more than the song.  

Sigh. I was hoping to get a reprieve and write up someone else's song next. But by way of tiebreaker, one of my picks is already up again. I am sure I am going to get grief over my selection. If I were smart, I'd change my pick to another song. You guys will be relentless. I have two options: do a quick short write up and immediately move on to the next song (perhaps in the middle of the night); or do a full write up and try to make it sound like a reasonable and well thought out selection. Decisions, decisions.

Treat it like you treat your ******* love child and punt it.

To whomever was trashing Down by the Seaside, I'm a bit on the same page, but minute 2-3 of that song touches on how great that song could have been (very Stones-y, especially on guitar, a bit like Sister Morphine). One of those songs - there are a few - that could have been so much more.

Always found it kinda meh. Something about the way Plant sings "Da-wa-leeen" rubs me the wrong way. Like Candy Store Rock, it seems not much more than a vehicle for his Elvis impersonation. Jones and Bonham are tight, though.

Nice writeup, nonetheless. By the time I started listening to FM stations in 1984-ish, this song was nowhere to be found -- but I too did observe the "they got more popular on the radio than before they broke up" phenomenon. All suburban male teens, regardless of other interests, seemed to LOVE Zeppelin. 

Yeah, of the songs released in Bonzo's lifetime, this one is near the bottom for me. I love funk, but this, despite a tight groove, just seems like a bad James Brown parody. They would mine this territory much better on Royal Orleans. Still can't fathom how this made the album over the "title track." (Wiki says the latter was left off because it was too similar to Dancing Days.) 

I’m surprised no one else picked this one, as it was a staple on their tours from the very beginning.

Have to admit, that while I love Zeppelin, and I love live music, most of the exposure I've ever had to LZ's live offerings have been from your threads.

Great writeups and the live links are a really cool bonus.  I've heard a lot of live Zeppelin but there are definitely a lot of shows I've never heard.  

#76 - Train Kept A-Rollin from Texas International Pop Festival - 1969-08-31

Appeared On: 1 ballot (out of 61)
Total Points: 3 points (out of 1,525 possible points . . .  0.197%)
High Ranker: @Anarchy99

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 134 1969-03-15 - Brondby1970-09-02 - Oakland1980-07-07 - Berlin (Final Show)1995-01-12 - Rock HOF Induction (with help from Aerosmith)
Jimmy Page: 31 1988-10-19 - Cleveland, 1990-08-18 - Monsters of Rock (with Aerosmith)2009 Rock HOF Ceremony (with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Ron Wood, Joe Perry, Flea, Metallica)
Robert Plant: 3

Other Versions: Yardbirds (1968), Aerosmith (1974)Motorhead (1977)Tesla (1987), Guns N' Roses (1992)

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): Not Ranked
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): Not Ranked
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): Not Ranked
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): Not Ranked
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): Not Ranked
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): Not Ranked

My last toss-in to round out the field to 80 songs. I’m surprised no one else picked this one, as it was a staple on their tours from the very beginning.

The LZ folklore is somewhat hazy as to when the band officially became Led Zeppelin. Their official website lists Train Kept’ A-Rollin as the first song the band ever performed together. Still billed as The Yardbirds, they played two shows (at different locations) on 1968-09-07 in Denmark. Train was the typical opener for them in those days.

The song was first recorded as a single by Tiny Bradshaw in 1951 (which sounds more big band / swing than the revved-up rock versions that came later). Page couldn’t get enough of the song. It became a fixture in live shows with Page playing in The Yardbirds. Zeppelin played it 101 times in 1969. Page & Plant and Plant solo played it a few times, but I couldn't find any of those.
Led Zeppelin put a lot of energy into "Train Kept A-Rollin'" despite its status as a Yardbirds holdover. Their 1969 live versions put the Aerosmith remake to shame.

Jimmy thought so highly of the song that he seriously considered putting a version on his Outrider album in 1988, but ultimately it remained on the cutting room floor.

#75 - Darlene from Coda (1978 by way of 1982)

Appeared On: 1 ballot (out of 61)
Total Points: 4 points (out of 1,525 possible points . . .  0.262%)
High Ranker: @Anarchy99

Live Performances: Not on your life.
Other Versions: No one is dumb enough to cover this song.

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 64
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): Not Ranked
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 81
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 85
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 73
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 62

OK, this may not be my brightest hour or best selection. I was giving this one serious consideration and hoped someone else would take one for Team Anarchy, but when no one else picked it, I had to pull the trigger. My musical journey started in the seventies when I used to ride around with my dad listening to Top 40 radio and R&B songs. Not even AOR classic rock, just regular old 70’s bubble gum pop. We’re taking songs like Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Reservation Indian) - Paul Revere & The RaidersHooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede, and Little Willie - Sweet. The closest I got to rock was Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, a Foreigner song here and there, and the occasional Queen song. The few albums I owned on vinyl were K-Tel compilation records albums and some Elton John and Chicago albums. My favorite song back then (and now if I am being honest) was My Sharona - The Knack (at least that falls in the rock category).

When I started high school, I hung out at the school radio station. I lived a sheltered life . . . do many high schools even have on-air radio stations? The mantra was that we were supposed to support up and coming artists and non-commercial music. Led Zeppelin certainly was the antithesis of that. I started playing (at the time) some lesser-known acts like The Cure, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, Bowie, U2, R.E.M., and some other new wave and alternative bands. LZ didn’t check those boxes either.

Outside of school, I also started getting into the FM music scene . . . mostly Steely Dan, Yes, Dire Straits, some Rush, etc. But where I lived, popular kids didn’t listen to those bands (and certainly not Top 40 or alternative either). Guys and girls alike were judged by how hard they rocked. Van Halen, AC/DC, Ozzy, Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Def Leppard ruled the day. Literally, kids would judge you by what you had on for music in your car and how loud you cranked it. (Yes, we were all destined to become future Nobel laureates and magistrates.) Folks that hated you or thought poorly of you would give you street cred and you could move the needle popularity wise if you pulled up with your car shaking and Mean Street screaming out of your speakers. The sound decision-making and evaluation process of teenagers. The line from Fast Times at Ridgemont High was legit (“When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.) Literally, in the real world as HS teen at the time, that was an actual thing.

Anyway, out of the blue, John Bonham died. That meant very little to me as I was not into Zeppelin that much. Then Coda came out and Darlene was all over the radio. I was floored. To a then 16-year-old Anarchy that owned Michael Jackson's Off the Wall, this was the bomb. I took some of my money and started buying their albums. I also asked for others for my birthday and Christmas (Coda came out at the end of the year and I have a late birthday). I certainly acquired the albums in the wrong order, but while I knew some of their songs, I didn’t know their names of which albums they were on. To the uneducated and ill-informed younger me, Coda sounded fantastic.

Then I moved on to college, got involved in college radio, and to them, Led Zeppelin was the anti-Christ. This was also a time when Zeppelin had grown to be even more popular than when they were still a band (hard to believe, but true). Most FM rock stations had rock blocks, and it seemed like every third one was LZ. One station had a nightly Stairway to Seven segment, where they played 7 Zep songs each night at 7 PM (and they still do). A 24/7 all Zeppelin station popped up in Florida (this was before satellite radio).

By comparison, I hosted one alternative music show and one world music show. I co-hosted one classical show and an all-Frank Sinatra show. And I filled in for anyone that was out and kept their show format (one professor had a polka show, an older student had a big band / swing show, one DJ had a jazz show, etc.) Again, Led Zeppelin did not exactly fit any of those genres.

As an experiment at home on one Saturday starting at 8:00 AM, I scanned the FM radio dial until I found a LZ song playing. When the song was over, I would scan the dial again until I got to another LZ song and stayed there until that song was done. I wanted to see if I could get through the entire range of the FM dial without hearing another Zep tune. I stopped at midnight and gave up. I could not go a full cycle completely all the way through the FM dial and miss a Led Zep song. At least one station always had them on for 16 hours straight. (Yeah, you think that was a waste of time? What were YOU doing as a teenager? At least I was clean and sober, you degenerates!)

I liked the band, but they were the poster boys for over saturation. My LZ vinyl collection mostly sat gathering dust for many years. The songs had been played out both at my house and on the radio. I needed a break. But many years later, this invention called the Internet appeared. And this concept called music sharing and song downloading became a thing. And there were tons of high sound quality LZ concerts out there that were mind altering, attainable for very little effort. Perhaps some of you have heard some of them? I found the live versions of songs to be far more interesting than the studio versions, mostly because every performance was different, and you never knew where they would go and what they would do next. But for me, all that started with, of all songs, Darlene.

The song itself is an outtake from In Through the Out Door, recorded in 1978. Coda also featured two other songs from those sessions . . . Ozone Baby and Wearing and Tearing. Some places suggest that In Through the Out Door was already too full and there wasn’t enough room for those 3 songs. I guess that’s the polite way of putting it. There is so much apathy over Coda and Darlene, that it's difficult to find any information online about either. The best way to summarize Coda is . . . it's an album of leftover songs from The Island of Misfit Toys. 

Though the song was never released as a single, Darlene hit #4 on the US Billboard Top Tracks chart (based on airplay alone). It was never performed anywhere by LZ, P&P, RP, JP, or pretty much anyone else, living or dead. Allegedly, there is a different version of the song on the 1993 box set, but I don’t hear anything different about it.

Anyway, flame away. But that's why I picked this less than stellar effort from the Zeppelin of Led. I shoulda gone with "Jerk Store."
This write up parallels my LZ journey very closely. Born in 64 to parents who were born during the WWI era so their musical gifts to me were Dean Martin, Johnny Cash and a ton of Yugoslavian ethnic music I tried but never really embraced. As I discovered music in the 70’s, Saturday Night Fever was dominating the airwaves and disco was king (although John Travolta was/is a helluva actor…go ahead, fight me). I developed a disdain for that genre I still have today. Toward the end of the 70’s I branched into harder stuff but even still, it was difficult to find on an am/fm radio. I think Stairway to Heaven was probably my introduction which started my journey. Then I discovered alcohol in HS which lead to more discoveries but the real game changer for me was my first year in college when I hooked up with a couple of stoners who jammed hard to LZ. I smoked pot in copious amounts for the first time, free’d my mind and devoured all things LZ for the next decade. I shed a tear watching Live Aid because my musical heroes had reunited when all I’d ever heard was never again.

Great write up(s) @Anarchy99, you’re doing God’s good work in here  :thumbup:

⚡DEADHEAD⚡ said:
To whomever was trashing Down by the Seaside, I'm a bit on the same page, but minute 2-3 of that song touches on how great that song could have been (very Stones-y, especially on guitar, a bit like Sister Morphine). One of those songs - there are a few - that could have been so much more.
That was me. I haven't fired that tune up in years I'll have to give it another listen. 

They can't exist in the same space, it's unpossible.
They do at my house.  The Disco Biscuits would blow your mind if you played a show.  They cover both the Safety Dance AND Run like Helz.  Classical, House, Disco, and Hard Rock sounds out of four guys.  It's glorious!

They do at my house.  The Disco Biscuits would blow your mind if you played a show.  They cover both the Safety Dance AND Run like Helz.  Classical, House, Disco, and Hard Rock sounds out of four guys.  It's glorious!
Recommend a show on YT or spotify, please?

Now I'm sucked in watching myself, lol.  We have discord listening parties to these guys often.  Holly B jumps in for the piano solo in a bit.  She's amazing too. 

Here is the info for the linked show above.  

Sets 1 and 2 were the 9th complete performance of the Hot Air Balloon rock opera, played on the 20th anniversary of its debut

Set 1:

The Overture

Once The Fiddler Paid

The Very Moon1

Voices Insane

Eulogy

Set 2:

Bazaar Escape2

Mulberry's Dream

Above The Waves

Hot Air Balloon3

Set 3:

Helicopters4

Mr. Don5

The Great Abyss

Helicopters4

Encore:

Run Like Hell

with Holly Bowling on piano 

#62 - Black Country Woman from Physical Graffiti (1975)

Appeared On: 3 ballots (out of 62 . . . 4.8%)
Total Points: 25 points (out of 1,550 possible points . . .  1.612%)
Ranked In Top 5 By: @drunken slob
Other Rankers: @MAC_32@jwb
Highest Ranking: 5

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 43 (Seattle - 1972-06-19 (First Performance), Los Angeles - 1977-06-23Seattle - 1977-07-07)
Robert Plant: 100 (London - 1988-04, Philadelphia - 1988-05-23, Columbia - 2008-06-13 (With Alison Krause), Montreal - 2011-06-24)

Other Versions: None

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 71
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 22
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): 36
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 78
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 78
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 62
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 59

After the forensic audit by J.D. Power uncovered a missing ballot, Black Country Woman jumps from #73 to #62 thanks to @drunken slobranking it as his #5 song. This then becomes the first song to see someone rank it in their Top 5. (SPOILER ALERT: None of the songs up until #62 have a Top 5 vote even though we haven't seen them yet.

Black Country Woman was the second to last track on the Physical Graffiti album, the first album released on Zeppelin’s own Swan Song label. When the band recorded the PG album in 1974, they ended up with roughly 3 sides of material and went combing through their song vault for other songs. They ended up with 7 older songs that went as far back as 1970.

The song was recorded in Mick Jagger’s garden / backyard in 1972. Page and John Paul Jones had done some session work with the Stones in the mid-60s, and Page remained friends with Jagger. As a side note, in 2020, the Stones released a song called Scarlett (the name of Page's daughter), recorded in 1974 with Jimmy Page on guitar, as part of the deluxe edition of Goat’s Head Soup.

Black Country Woman and was intended / considered for inclusion on Houses of the Holy and was originally titled Never Ending Doubting Woman Blues. Apparently, they only recorded one take of the song, and it’s rumored one of the reasons the track was likely left off Houses of the Holy was the unfortunately timed flyby of a private airplane.

“Should we roll it Jimmy?” sound engineer Eddie Kramer asks Jimmy Page. “We’re rolling on . . .,” Kramer informs the musicians. You can clearly hear wind chimes from somewhere in the garden and an airplane flying overhead. Plant is then heard with a rather loud laugh (“heh!”) to which Kramer replies “not getting this airplane on.” Plant answers, “nah, leave it, yeah.” Perfectly on cue, the acoustic guitar track begins.

The Black Country is a part of the industrial West Midlands section of England and gets its name from all the coal mines that previously operated there. Coal mining was a way of life for the local community there for over 100 years before the mines started closing over the past few decades (at the time).

John Paul Jones used an upright base for live performances of the song, which usually was played as a lead in to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp during their 1977 U.S. tour.

The album release endured a pretty lengthy delay of 6+ months while the album design and production company could figure out how to print and package the album with the window cutouts on the die-cut album cover. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies.

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (71 of 92 songs): Left over from Houses of the Holy, this acoustic song actually sounds like something from Led Zeppelin III. No wonder it took a while to find a home.

Vulture Ranking (22 of 74 songs): I love this song uncritically, from the burst of left-in studio chatter that begins it to Plant’s “Whatsa matta withchoo, mama?” ending. That’s not an easy acoustic guitar line Page is proffering, it’s a deceptively simple (you try to re-create that riff on a six-string) acoustic number, marked by a crackling drum sound from Bonham and some nice harp playing, too. Yes, it’s a dirty-dealing-woman song, but it doesn’t come across as hateful.

Uproxx Ranking (36 of 50 songs): Untitled is the best Zeppelin album, but Physical Graffiti is the one I listen to the most, because it has the highest percentage of tracks that haven’t been beaten into the ground by every rock radio station on the planet. The second disc, especially, is wall-to-wall quality deep cuts like this song, a throwback to the muscular British folk rock of Led Zeppelin III with a dash of Rod Stewart’s early work. Unlike Exile On Main St., Physical Graffiti is the rare double album that never feels like an exercise in decadence. This a band in complete control of themselves and their music, their final stand before the decadence crushed them.

WMGK Ranking (78 of 92 songs): An undoubtedly pleasant acoustic tune from the ‘Houses of the Holy’ recording sessions, but it just doesn’t stand out among the other stellar tracks on Physical Graffiti.

SPIN Ranking (78 of 87 songs): Possibly the slightest song to appear within Zep’s original classic six-album run, the throwaway folk jam “Woman” is buried deep enough in side four of the Physical Graffiti double-LP that maybe they hoped no one would notice it. They were mostly right.

Up next . . . a song from their first . . . and their last album.

I can't quit you baby? 

So when I started this process and was listening to LZ I and came to I can't quit you baby it didn't sound like I remembered. My LZ collection started with the box sets version. I never had the studio albums. I wonder if the Coda version was on the first box set. I later got the second box set but didn't listen to as much. I included the OG on my list but actually prefer the Coda.

I can't quit you baby? 

So when I started this process and was listening to LZ I and came to I can't quit you baby it didn't sound like I remembered. My LZ collection started with the box sets version. I never had the studio albums. I wonder if the Coda version was on the first box set. I later got the second box set but didn't listen to as much. I included the OG on my list but actually prefer the Coda.
It's not I Can't Quit You Baby, although it qualifies for what I teased. The song I am referring to was on the expanded edition of Coda.

Thanks again for doing this anarchy. I havent listened to much Zeppelin in a while and it's rekindled my interest in them. So much good music.

#72 - Black Mountain Side from Led Zeppelin 1 (1969) and Coda (1982)

Appeared On: 3 ballots (out of 62 . . . 4.8%)
Total Points: 17 points (out of 1,550 possible points . . .  1.097%)
Rankers: @drunken slob@BroncoFreak_2K3@beer 30
Highest Ranking: 15

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 208 (Inglewood - 1970-03-27Los Angeles - 1977-06-21Knebworth - 1979-04-11Frankfurt - 1980-06-30)
Jimmy Page: 10? (Dayton - 1988-10-21)
The Firm: 3 (Seattle - 1986-05-28 - Final Performance of The Firm)

Other Versions: Nothing truly noteworthy

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 70 and 59
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 41
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 68
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 47
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 58
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 70

After the re-tabulating, BMS / White Summer shifts from our #72 entry up to #65.

One of two songs that appeared on both the first album and Coda (BMS / White Summer was added to the Deluxe Edition of Coda in 1993 and the box set that came out in 1990). The song is probably the weakest link on a strong debut album filled with songs that received heavy rotation on FM radio for decades.

Jimmy Page based the instrumental track on a traditional Irish folk song called Down by Blackwaterside, particularly an arrangement by Bert Jansch from 1966. Page was a session musician on Al Stewart’s debut album in 1967, who had previously played with Jansch, and taught the song to Page. Stewart would go on to record two big singles in the 70’s in Time Passages and Year of the Cat.

Page explained to Guitar Player magazine in 1977: "I wasn't totally original on that. It had been done in the folk clubs a lot; Annie Briggs was the first one that I heard do that riff. I was playing it as well, and then there was Bert Jansch's version. He's the one who crystallized all the acoustic playing, as far as I'm concerned. Those first few albums of his were absolutely brilliant. I used special tuning, like a modal tuning, a sitar tuning."

The Eastern sound on BMS was influenced by Page's travel to India. He gave the song an Indian flair by adding Middle Eastern drums, sitar, and tabla on the track. The overall Eastern sounding vibe led writer William S. Burroughs to suggest that the band visit Morocco to investigate similar styles of music first-hand (which they did and which influenced future songs). Page found the chord progressions and song structure of Black Mountain Side meshed nicely with White Summer, another Indian / Arabic influenced song he composed and recorded with The Yardbirds on their 1967 album Little Games (even though no one else from the band played on the song).

Black Mountain Side / White Summer ended up ranking as the 10th most performed LZ song across all their live gigs. The performance from London-1969-10-08 was included on the Complete BBC Sessions CD set. A recording from Royal Albert Hall on 1970-01-09 is included on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003).

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (70 and 59 of 92 songs): It's easy to overlook this slight instrumental on Side Two of Zeppelin's debut album. The song – an arrangement of a traditional folk tune – certainly sounds like nothing else on the record. It was later combined with another instrumental on a superior live version released on the 1990 box set. Page recorded "White Summer" on the last Yardbirds album and later combined it with another instrumental, "Black Mountain Side" from Zeppelin's debut, during early shows. This medley from the BBC first showed up on the 1990 box set.

Vulture Ranking (41 of 74 songs): A moody acoustic number with a distinctive model tuning. The tabla is by a guy named Viram Jasani, one of a very small number of guest players on a Led Zeppelin album.

WMGK Ranking (68 of 92 songs): A subtly brilliant instrumental track that serves as a great transition between the mellow Your Time Is Gonna Come and the intense Communication Breakdown.

SPIN Ranking (47 of 87 songs): Two instrumental interludes, both totally essential on their respective albums, and both about as stately and gorgeous as the band ever got. The guitar-only Bron-Yr-Aur gets the slight nod over the tabla-featuring Black Mountain Side” mainly for the awesome whooshing sound of the guitar riff that’s seemingly reversed on itself every so often — but both represent a key (if rarely seen) side of Zeppelin’s power.

Back to Coda for our next song (at least we are getting them out of the way).

Weird. It's not on the Coda Deluxe version on Spotify. I guess there's also an expanded version not on Spotify?

Other tracks

The 1993 compact disc edition has four additional tracks from the box sets, Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (1990) and Led Zeppelin Boxed Set 2 (1993), the previously unreleased "Travelling Riverside Blues", "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" and the "Immigrant Song" b-side "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" from the former and the previously unreleased "Baby Come On Home" from the latter.

Weird. It's not on the Coda Deluxe version on Spotify. I guess there's also an expanded version not on Spotify?
I don't use Spotify, so I can't help you there. But The 1993 and 2008 CD versions of Coda added Baby Come Home, Travelling Riverside Blues, BMS / WS, and Hey Hey What Can I Do . . . all of which are better songs than the songs on the original album.

#73 - Black Country Woman from Physical Graffiti (1975)

Appeared On: 2 ballots (out of 61 . . . 3.27%)
Total Points: 4 points (out of 1,525 possible points . . .  0.262%)
High Rankers: @MAC_32@jwb

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 43 (Seattle - 1972-06-19 (First Performance), Los Angeles - 1977-06-23Seattle - 1977-07-07)
Robert Plant: 100 (London - 1988-04, Philadelphia - 1988-05-23, Columbia - 2008-06-13 (With Alison Krause), Montreal - 2011-06-24)

Other Versions: None

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 92 songs): 71
Vulture Ranking (out of 74 songs): 22
Uproxx Ranking (out of 50 songs): 36
WMGK Ranking (out of 92 songs): 78
SPIN Ranking (out of 87 songs): 78
Ranker Ranking (out of 87 songs): 62
Anachronarchy Ranking (out of 80 songs): 59

Black Country Woman was the second to last track on the Physical Graffiti album, the first album released on Zeppelin’s own Swan Song label. When the band recorded the PG album in 1974, they ended up with roughly 3 sides of material and went combing through their song vault for other songs. They ended up with 7 older songs that went as far back as 1970.

The song was recorded in Mick Jagger’s garden / backyard in 1972. Page and John Paul Jones had done some session work with the Stones in the mid-60s, and Page remained friends with Jagger. As a side note, in 2020, the Stones released a song called Scarlett, recorded in 1974 with Jimmy Page on guitar, as part of the deluxe edition of Goat’s Head Soup.

Black Country Woman and was intended / considered for inclusion on Houses of the Holy and was originally titled Never Ending Doubting Woman Blues. Apparently, they only recorded one take of the song, and it’s rumored one of the reasons the track was likely left off Houses of the Holy was the unfortunately timed flyby of a private airplane.

“Should we roll it Jimmy?” sound engineer Eddie Kramer asks Jimmy Page. “We’re rolling on . . .,” Kramer informs the musicians. You can clearly hear wind chimes from somewhere in the garden and an airplane flying overhead. Plant is then heard with a rather loud laugh (“heh!”) to which Kramer replies “not getting this airplane on.” Plant answers, “nah, leave it, yeah.” Perfectly on cue, the acoustic guitar track begins.

The Black Country is a part of the industrial West Midlands section of England and gets its name from all the coal mines that previously operated there. Coal mining was a way of life for the local community there for over 100 years before the mines started closing over the past few decades (at the time).

John Paul Jones used an upright base for live performances of the song, which usually was played as a lead in to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp during their 1977 U.S. tour.

The album release endured a pretty lengthy delay of 6+ months while the album design and production company could figure out how to print and package the album with the window cutouts on the die-cut album cover. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies.

Up next . . . a song from their first . . . and their last album.

Not on my list or my friend’s, but it’s a fun little romp that nicely contrasts with the heaviness of most of the rest of the album.

In the 80s I remember watching a piece a Philly cable station put together when Plant was in town on tour. It was mostly interviews but included 6 or so songs from his performance. The two Zeppelin songs included were this and Misty Mountain Hop.

Total Points: 6 points (out of 1,525 possible points . . .  0.393%)
High Rankers: @BroncoFreak_2K3@Dennis Castro

Live Performances:
Led Zeppelin: 208 (Inglewood - 1970-03-27Los Angeles - 1977-06-21Knebworth - 1979-04-11Frankfurt - 1980-06-30)

One of two songs that appeared on both the first album and Coda (BMS / White Summer was added to the Deluxe Edition of Coda in 1993 and the box set that came out in 1990). The song is probably the weakest link on a strong debut album filled with songs that received heavy rotation on FM radio for decades.

Jimmy Page based the instrumental track on a traditional Irish folk song called Down by Blackwaterside, particularly an arrangement by Bert Jansch from 1966. Page was a session musician on Al Stewart’s debut album in 1967, who had previously played with Jansch, and taught the song to Page. Stewart would go on to record two big singles in the 70’s in Time Passages and Year of the Cat.

Page explained to Guitar Player magazine in 1977: "I wasn't totally original on that. It had been done in the folk clubs a lot; Annie Briggs was the first one that I heard do that riff. I was playing it as well, and then there was Bert Jansch's version. He's the one who crystallized all the acoustic playing, as far as I'm concerned. Those first few albums of his were absolutely brilliant. I used special tuning, like a modal tuning, a sitar tuning."

The Eastern sound on BMS was influenced by Page's travel to India. He gave the song an Indian flair by adding Middle Eastern drums, sitar, and tabla on the track. The overall Eastern sounding vibe led writer William S. Burroughs to suggest that the band visit Morocco to investigate similar styles of music first-hand (which they did and which influenced future songs). Page found the chord progressions and song structure of Black Mountain Side meshed nicely with White Summer, another Indian / Arabic influenced song he composed and recorded with The Yardbirds on their 1967 album Little Games (even though no one else from the band played on the song).

Black Mountain Side / White Summer ended up ranking as the 10th most performed LZ song across all their live gigs. The performance from London-1969-10-08 was included on the Complete BBC Sessions CD set. A recording from Royal Albert Hall on 1970-01-09 is included on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003).

It may seem like a filler track on the first album, but it’s a testament to how much more they were willing and able to pull off than other bands from the scene they came from. I’ve always loved how it fades in at the end of Your Time Is Gonna Come.

Total Points: 6 points (out of 1,525 possible points . . .  0.393%)
High Rankers: @BroncoFreak_2K3@Dennis Castro

Live Performances:

I think you might have my list mixed up with somebody else’s. This one didn’t make the cut for me.

Not on my list or my friend’s, but it’s a fun little romp that nicely contrasts with the heaviness of most of the rest of the album.

In the 80s I remember watching a piece a Philly cable station put together when Plant was in town on tour. It was mostly interviews but included 6 or so songs from his performance. The two Zeppelin songs included were this and Misty Mountain Hop.
:yes:

Precisely why I singled it out and it was always on my list. I mentioned it several pages ago, but I spent more time than I care to admit thinking about #25. There were more than a half dozen on the list and several of them were among the harder Physical Graffiti efforts. Essentially, one of the reasons I chose this instead of a second one of them is because of how this track fit so well into the second half of the album. 

Users who are viewing this thread