What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 100 PINK FLOYD SONGS - #01 - Comfortably Numb from The Wall (1979) (2 Viewers)

I prefer What Shall We Do Now? from the film, but it’s great as Empty Spaces as well. I still know all the lyrics to both!!

I had no qualms about ranking Nobody Home. A staggeringly great song. You can just feel the emotion ooze outta this one.

I didn’t rank When the Tigers…, but I’m still a big fan. It very much fits with the mood of The Wall.

Another song that I wish had found its way onto the album. It's weird, because I don't enjoy the Final Cut at all, but I love this similar, angry Roger Waters song. Much like "Empty Spaces/What Shall We do Now" it may be because, in my opinion, the scenes in the movie where this particular song was played were some of the most powerful.

It's hard for me to really identify to Waters' feelings about the Falkland War, but I don't know how anyone can't sympathize with a guy who lost his dad in one of WWII's biggest screwups and was notified via a "rubber stamp." Powerful stuff.

Last edited:
We’re talking Statler Brothers garbage.

Bah. There's much worse country in that era than the Statler Brothers. Plus, who here hasn't spent a day smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo?

Regardless, cool story. A different time, for sure.
Oh trust me, my parents listened to that worse country. And fair enough about the Statler Brothers, maybe I was a little harsh. That said, I'm going to regretfully sit it out when Anarchy starts the Statler Brothers song countdown.

Bah. There's much worse country in that era than the Statler Brothers. Plus, who here hasn't spent a day smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo?

Oh trust me, my parents listened to that worse country. And fair enough about the Statler Brothers, maybe I was a little harsh. That said, I'm going to regretfully sit it out when Anarchy starts the Statler Brothers song countdown.
I am proud to declare I could not name a single Statler Brothers song.

When the Tigers Broke Free is almost too much of a downer for me, and that's saying something considering the rest of their catalog. Maybe it's just a little too personal for me. Because it's real. It's a real guy singing about his real dad, who died in a really ill conceived battle. All that makes me a little uncomfortable. I guess maybe that means it's good. I'll stop rambling now.

Curious what peeps think will be:

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote?
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.)
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?)
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot?
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot?
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10?
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10?
- How many total points will the #10 song have?

I'll play. I'm probably wrong on all of them, but what the heck.

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? - One of these days
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) - Mother
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) ABITW2
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) - Young Lust
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) - lardonastick
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 21
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 10
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? lardonastick
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? Anachy99
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 427

Edit - changed last number

Last edited:
I'll play. I'm probably wrong on all of them, but what the heck.

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? - One of these days
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) - Mother
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) ABITW2
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) - Young Lust
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) - lardonastick
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 21
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 10
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? lardonastick
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? Anachy99
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 427

Edit - changed last number
- There are 5 other songs with #1 votes before we will see OOTD.
- Mother earned a #1 vote.
- ABITW2 earned multiple Top 5 selections (as did Young Lust).
- lardonastick is not the clairvoyant with the actual Top 5 on his list.
- There is someone with 21 songs . . . and that would rank as second most.
- I had 7 of the Top 10 songs (nowhere near the fewest).
- 427 points would rank as song #6.

I thought they were talking about the grocery store chain.

Flowers On The Wall was featured in Pulp Fiction

I thought they were talking about the grocery store chain.
I thought we were talking about these guys.

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? Learning to Fly
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) Welcome to the Machine
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) Echoes
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) Take it Back
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) Just Win Baby
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 23
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 12
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 9
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 3
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 375

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? Learning to Fly
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) Welcome to the Machine
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) Echoes
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) Take it Back
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) Just Win Baby
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 23
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 12
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 9
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 3
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 375
- LTF did not receive a #1 vote.
- DING! DING! DING! WTTM is correct.
- Echoes has 7 Top 5 picks.
- We covered Take It Back already. It was song #63.
- JWB has 4 of the Top 5 in his Top 5.
- DING! DING! DING! 23 songs IS the correct number.
- 12 songs is too many.
- 9 songs is too many.
- 3 songs is too many.
- 375 points would rank as the #8 song.

The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? On The Turning Away
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) Welcome to the Machine (I took from above)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) Breathe (In The Air)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) Pigs (Three Different Ones)
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) Me?
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 18
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 7
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 8
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 2
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 325

Apparently, my proclamation that I could not name a single Statler Brothers song may have been incorrect. I have Flowers On The wall in my collection (although I didn't remember it was by the Statler Brothers).

The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? On The Turning Away
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) Welcome to the Machine (I took from above)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) Breathe (In The Air)
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) Pigs (Three Different Ones)
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) Me?
- Of the Top 25, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 18
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 7
- Of the Top 10, what was the highest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 8
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 2
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 325
- OTTA did not receive a first place vote.
- Breathe is both ranked higher and did earn Top 5 votes.
- Pigs (3DO) is very insulted you think it only ranked #31.
- You ranked 2 of the final Top 5 songs in your Top 5.
- 7 is incorrect.
- DING! DING! DING! 8 is the correct # for Top 10 songs.
- 2 is incorrect.
- 325 points would rank as song #13.

When the Tigers Broke Free is almost too much of a downer for me, and that's saying something considering the rest of their catalog. Maybe it's just a little too personal for me. Because it's real. It's a real guy singing about his real dad, who died in a really ill conceived battle. All that makes me a little uncomfortable. I guess maybe that means it's good. I'll stop rambling now.
No, it's horrible. Chinese water torture in and all day opera concert. They put down animals making those noises.

:scared:

- The first song will we see that earned a #1 vote? -Run Like Hell
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a #1 selection? (HINT: The #8 song.) - WTTM
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 5 selection? (HINT: The #28 song.) The Great Gig in the Sky
- The highest ranking song WITHOUT a Top 10 selection? (HINT: The #31 song.) - High Hopes
- The name of the poster that has the actual Top 5 as his or her Top 5? (Do we even have any female participants?) - Yo Mama
- Of the Top 25, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot? 9 Me?
- Of the Top 10, what was the fewest number of songs someone had on their ballot in their individual Top 10? 1 Me? I think I would have 3, but I may be wrong there.
- How many total points will the #10 song have? 352

With When the Tigers Broke Free being the most recent, I've had 10 of the last 20 songs on my list. I'm due for a dry spell, I think.

My only beef with When the Tigers Broke Free is, after years of knowing it from the film, I wish the two verses would have had the instrumental bit in the song in the middle of the two verses rather than the second verse immediately starting after the first one. Odds are that it was always that way and it was just stretched out for the film, but I was just so used to it that way.

#32-T - Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1) from The Wall (1979)

Appeared On: 6 ballots (out of 33 . . . 18.2%)
Total Points: 61 points (out of 825 possible points . . . 7.4%)
Top Rankers: @Ridgeback @turnjose7 @Just Win Baby @Dwayne Hoover @Rand al Thor
Highest Ranking: 13

Fan Created Extended Version, Another Extended Version, Original Demo, Another Demo, Another Demo, Film Version, London - 1980, Quebec - 1987, Berlin - 1990, RW The Wall

Live Performances:

PF:
RW: 303

Covers: Steve Morse, Tournesol, Ulver, Buddha Lounge Ensemble, Mama Bluegrass Band, Ghastly Sound, Yoga Pop Ups

ABITW1 is very quiet in dynamics, and features a long, subdued guitar solo. The vocals are softer and more gentle in tone than in Parts II & III, although there is a short, sharp rise in dynamic and tone for a brief period towards the end of the lyrical portion. Dynamically, it’s the quietest of the three, which build in intensity as the album progresses. No drums are used at all in this song. In terms of the progressing the narrative, this song details the first brick in Pink's wall: the loss of his father during WWII. More specifically, since Pink was an infant when his father died, it deals with Pink's dawning awareness of the painful gap in his young life left by the absence of a loving 'daddy.' In this respect, Pink's life parallels that of Roger Waters exactly. However, Roger has specified that the song is not just about children whose parents were killed in war, "but about being left, more generally." The resulting sense of loss causes the initial erection of emotional defenses against further hurt, i.e. the first brick in the wall. Roger:"On the simplest level, whenever something bad happens, Pink isolates himself a bit more — i.e., symbolically he adds another brick to his wall to protect himself."

The choppy recounting of Pink's life continues as we move forward to Pink's early childhood (he appears about eight years old). The first scene is him with his mother at the memorial to those who lost their lives at Anzio (including, of course, his father — and Roger Waters's). In a piece of the story unique to the film, Pink attempts to compensate for the loss of his father by 'adopting' a man on the playground, albeit unsuccessfully.

At least 15 seconds were cut from the very beginning of the track. That additional intro would have made for an even better segue from The Thin Ice. It was most likely cut from the album to shave a few seconds from the running time of Side 1. Originally, the first 10 seconds or so were just one single note — an ominous, sustained synth note that drones for several seconds before a single-note on guitar starts. The extended introduction could be heard on some live performances of the track.

As released, “Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1” fades in sounding like we’ve already missed part of the song — which we have. The track fades in at about the sixth beat of a 32-beat guitar phrase, making the segue from “The Thin Ice” a little rough. The original intro allows for a much smoother transition between the two songs. “The Thin Ice” seamlessly blends into the single note and holds for several seconds, adding to the drama and anticipation of the track. As the two musical phrases are in complimentary musical keys, the transition is much more satisfying musically.

You can hear a little bit of how this would sound in the film Roger Waters The Wall and to a lesser extent in the original Pink Floyd live version. The transition between the two songs is a little longer. The ending of The Thin Ice has a long fade out and behind the audience applause you can hear the single note drone before the guitar of ABITW1 starts.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 15
UCR Ranking (out of 167 songs): 63
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 26
WMGK Ranking (out of 40 songs): 6
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 26
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): NR

Vulture Ranking (15 out of 165 songs): One of the more effective tracks on The Wall, a spooky and evocative foreshadowing of the full “Another Brick in the Wall,” which would of course become the album’s centerpiece and a fluke hit single. (A massive hit single.)

UCR Ranking (63 out of 167 songs): Waters weaves autobiographical details into Pink’s story and begins the “Another Brick …” motif with this track. The lyrics move the backstory along, but the star here is Gilmour’s guitar – or, really, guitars. His reverberating, multi-tracked and muted parts create a schizophrenic environment as the sounds pile on top of one another and a different guitar keeps trotting along.

Louder Ranking (26 out of 50 songs): Three tracks into The Wall, listeners got a first taste of the haunted melody that would be taken overground with the UK-chart-topping Part 2 – and a glimpse into Pink’s psyche as the album’s anti-hero is scarred by his soldier father’s death (“Daddy’s gone across the ocean, leaving just a memory”). That experience was Waters’ own, of course, but the track is arguably Gilmour’s, the guitarist’s clickety-clack delayed riffing casting the darkest of spells.

WMGK Ranking (6 out of 40 songs): Considered as part of ABITW2.

Coming up, our second to last entry from the 60's.

On one hand, I want to react to these posts because @Anarchy99 is working his butt off with these writeups and I love them. On the other hand, I don't want to ruin the thread with my constant hate of all this Wall trash.

I am not sure if I am more annoyed that some garbage songs (ex:rhymes with brother) still haven't gone yet, or the fact that others are even this high. I'm telling myself it's because of when the records were released in relation to voters ages. For once the FFA is too young for something I guess.

I didn’t hear The Wall till late 1990 (when I was 17) and think it’s amazing, so I wasn’t there to experience its release in real time in ‘79/‘80.
I was born in 75, but classic rock stations ruined any chance I had of loving the Wall in the mid 80's.

Wall trash
The Wall being trash while talking up the Division Bell is some good schtick at least.
I like the Division Bell better than the Wall overall. The Wall has three great tunes imo, then all trash. Division Bell has all great songs, but none as good as the three Wall tunes.
Wow, thats some real Wall hatred there. Kind of surprised to see that level of vitriol in a Pink Floyd thread. I know this is all subjective to taste but wasn't quite expecting it

Wall trash
The Wall being trash while talking up the Division Bell is some good schtick at least.
I like the Division Bell better than the Wall overall. The Wall has three great tunes imo, then all trash. Division Bell has all great songs, but none as good as the three Wall tunes.
Wow, thats some real Wall hatred there. Kind of surprised to see that level of vitriol in a Pink Floyd thread. I know this is all subjective to taste but wasn't quite expecting it
Or Division Bell love, depending on your point of view. The Wall has three great tunes. Most records have none.

Agree on not understanding the hate for The Wall. It’s probably my sixth or seventh favorite Floyd album, but I still like it.

The Wall has three great tunes imo, then all trash

I couldn't disagree more with this. (n)
I acknowledge some of you love it. Ironically I love rock operas and prog usually. I just don't enjoy most of this record AT ALL. Beatles White album is similar in that regard, but I don't have to auto skip everything like on the Wall. I have RLH in my top five fwiw. HY is a pretty great rock tune. CN is a great tune, has an all time epic solo, but is slightly repetitive. I HATE repetitive fwiw.

I acknowledge some of you love it. Ironically I love rock operas and prog usually. I just don't enjoy most of this record AT ALL. Beatles White album is similar in that regard, but I don't have to auto skip everything like on the Wall. I have RLH in my top five fwiw. HY is a pretty great rock tune. CN is a great tune, has an all time epic solo, but is slightly repetitive. I HATE repetitive fwiw.

I think the difference is that you're looking at The Wall as a collection of individual songs, and a lot of folks, including myself, look at the entire album as one very long tune. It tells a story. For me, its almost impossible to pick out any one "song".

It's kinda like sitting down at Thanksgiving dinner, and loading your plate with three great foods, let's say turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Sure, they're all good, nobody will ever argue that point. But here's the thing ... the songs you call trash are the gravy of The Wall. You can have your big three, Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing ... but until you dump gravy over them, all you have are three unrelated food items. And I bet a whole lot of people would have gravy in their top 25 food item countdown. And they'd be right.

I think the difference is that you're looking at The Wall as a collection of individual songs, and a lot of folks, including myself, look at the entire album as one very long tune. It tells a story. For me, its almost impossible to pick out any one "song".

It's kinda like sitting down at Thanksgiving dinner, and loading your plate with three great foods, let's say turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Sure, they're all good, nobody will ever argue that point. But here's the thing ... the songs you call trash are the gravy of The Wall. You can have your big three, Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing ... but until you dump gravy over them, all you have are three unrelated food items. And I bet a whole lot of people would have gravy in their top 25 food item countdown. And they'd be right.
That doesn't work. I love gravy. Change gravy to dog crap and you have the Wall. 😉

That doesn't work. I love gravy. Change gravy to dog crap and you have the Wall. 😉

Dude, come on. If you hate the Wall, recommend you stop posting that and just be silent about it.

You are clearly on an island within this crowd, I don't anticipate anyone will agree, so what's the point?

Only 7 Wall songs to go.

Well, in that case I know for sure what six of them are, because they're on my list.
I think I have all 7 of the remaining Wall songs in my top 25 (and didn’t have any others).

I say I think because I’ve already forgotten a few other songs that were already ranked.
You only have 5 total songs from The Wall.
Must have clicked on the wrong list.

Only 7 Wall songs to go.

Well, in that case I know for sure what six of them are, because they're on my list.
I think I have all 7 of the remaining Wall songs in my top 25 (and didn’t have any others).

I say I think because I’ve already forgotten a few other songs that were already ranked.
You only have 5 total songs from The Wall.
Must have clicked on the wrong list.
No worries - appreciate all the work on this.

I’m just glad I didn’t think Learning to Fly was on The Wall or something.

Dude, come on. If you hate the Wall, recommend you stop posting that and just be silent about it.

You are clearly on an island within this crowd, I don't anticipate anyone will agree, so what's the point?
"On one hand, I want to react to these posts because @Anarchy99 is working his butt off with these writeups and I love them. On the other hand, I don't want to ruin the thread with my constant hate of all this Wall trash."

That was exactly what my first post today said, lol. I apologized to Anarchy for not being more involved in the discussion. Then everyone started discussing that, lol. Go look. I edited it into this post.

Users who are viewing this thread