What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club - DotM: George Miller (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
Month 1: Steven Spielberg
Month 2: Martin Scorsese
Month 3: Billy Wilder
Month 4: Denis Villeneuve

As I said in the other thread, we wanted to get into blockbuster season, but maybe with some twists and turns. As I also posted in the Denis thread, sometimes these aren't our favorite directors, but more ones we think could get some interesting themes or discussions going and have tie ins to movies that are coming out. Furiosa is one of the first big movies of the season, so we landed here. I will be honest, I don't know a ton about Miller and have maybe seen 2 of his movies. What I do love is post-apocalyptic themes and practical effects. Not that this covers all of Miller's movies as there are some interesting movies in his arsenal. I hadn't even heard of the 2022 movie, and I haven't seen any of the old Mad Max, Babe movies or stuff like Witches of Eastwick. Let's see where this goes. :popcorn:

Month 5: George Miller

• Watch at least one of the Mad Max movies
  • Watch one of Miller's other movies

Influences:

• watch another post-apocalyptic movie
  • have a family movie night with any younger kids in your life
  • watch another movie set in a desert
  • watch something from another Aussie director

Sorry, on my first scan I didn't see anything like I found with the others - a list of their favorite movies. I like seeing those, but I will keep digging.

Second month in a row where I’m not sure I’ve seen any by that director (saw the original Babe, but looked like he just wrote that and did not direct). Did not really feel the Villenueve. Maybe will have better luck this month.

Fury Road was a GD masterpiece
This is a reason I wanted to do this for the month. I've seen it a couple times now, and I don't get the love. I also never saw the originals, so I don't know how much that played into people's love of this one. What I am going to do tomorrow is watch some behind the scenes stuff knowing how much was practical. I think coming from that angle for the movie and appreciating that more might help me overcome what I don't like about it. That and some Alien Stomper. I don't know what I was expecting when I watched it, but it sure wasn't what my eyes saw. :lol: Also, following Waterworld any movie will feel like a masterpiece to me!

Sorry, on my first scan I didn't see anything like I found with the others - a list of their favorite movies. I like seeing those, but I will keep digging.

:lmao: thanks.

This is a reason I wanted to do this for the month. I've seen it a couple times now, and I don't get the love. I also never saw the originals, so I don't know how much that played into people's love of this one. What I am going to do tomorrow is watch some behind the scenes stuff knowing how much was practical. I think coming from that angle for the movie and appreciating that more might help me overcome what I don't like about it. That and some Alien Stomper. I don't know what I was expecting when I watched it, but it sure wasn't what my eyes saw. :lol: Also, following Waterworld any movie will feel like a masterpiece to me!
First and foremost, this is a visual medium, and I thought it was just a gorgeous movie. Clearly opinions vary, but objectively, it is striking.

So the original trilogy really cemented a new genre that made money, the dystopian thing, right? I have seen a bunch and it's good guy, bad guy, outlaw gang, zombies, whatever. In every single Mad Max movies, there are several interesting side characters. And even the evil ones are all kind of fun, ya know? So I feel like this was the creation of a genre, and almost every one since is a blander version. Miller had the least bland after-the-bomb movie, lol.

Finally, he remade a beloved cult trilogy, years later, big budget, Think of how many ways that could have sucked. How many ways we have seen that happen?

Would have been an understandable whiff, and he crushed it, doing better than the trilogy. Someone finally made a better Mad Max than Miller, and it was Miller.

I was too busy being disappointed that this months choice was Miller. Had to get my posts in where I could.

I don't get the Mad Max mythos at all. The ecosystem makes no sense.
Yeah, I guessed that from your response. Currently, I am with you (about the Mad Max of it and fully understand if people don't like the choices), but I still think the ride is fun and I like figuring out the "why" to my reactions now. It's not all about Mad Max, and that's another reason we land on some of the directors we do. If I am tapping out on the 80s Mad Max, I can have fun with a kid movie or something else he did. It's also why we try to tie in other discussion with the "influences" suggestions - that is an interesting list of movies you linked, so if something tickles your fancy there post away. Maybe suggest some better movies that hit on the themes of Mad Max? I was brainstorming all kinds of suggestions while scanning my services last night from Children of Men to Book of Eli to The Road to Waterworld.

I was too busy being disappointed that this months choice was Miller. Had to get my posts in where I could.

I don't get the Mad Max mythos at all. The ecosystem makes no sense.
Yeah, I guessed that from your response. Currently, I am with you (about the Mad Max of it and fully understand if people don't like the choices), but I still think the ride is fun and I like figuring out the "why" to my reactions now. It's not all about Mad Max, and that's another reason we land on some of the directors we do. If I am tapping out on the 80s Mad Max, I can have fun with a kid movie or something else he did. It's also why we try to tie in other discussion with the "influences" suggestions - that is an interesting list of movies you linked, so if something tickles your fancy there post away. Maybe suggest some better movies that hit on the themes of Mad Max? I was brainstorming all kinds of suggestions while scanning my services last night from Children of Men to Book of Eli to The Road to Waterworld.
I saw Parasite on the list — might use it as an excuse to watch the Criterion blu ray that I got of that recently. When it comes to more dystopian stuff of recent times, I’d lean a bit more to Bong Joon-ho as a director.

Maybe I need to give a try, but Mad Max movies just never really interested me from a plot description perspective. But I’m currently watching Rebecca and Hitchcock night on TCM, so that’s where my tastes go.

Just in the post-apocalyptic/dystopian realm, let's have some fun for any who might not want to watch flaming guitar dude.

How about tie something into the ongoing horror thread? Here are some great horror movies that I saw when scanning lists: 28 Days Later, The Terminator, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Stand. I am Legend was listed already, as was the remake Dawn of the Dead.
Carpenter will probably do well in the countdown, Escape from New York could be a fun pairing.
How about a few that tie into the summer blockbuster and action season? T2, The Running Man, The Matrix, Robocop, Waterworld!
Random ones that I love: Children of Men, The Road, I remember liking Book of Eli but don't remember it, 12 Monkeys, Never Let Me Go, Gattaca, I am sure I will think of others.

It's interesting that without zombies the post-apocalyptic idea just isn't very interesting.

Dystopian, however, has a lot more interesting things to say

Just in the post-apocalyptic/dystopian realm, let's have some fun for any who might not want to watch flaming guitar dude.

How about tie something into the ongoing horror thread? Here are some great horror movies that I saw when scanning lists: 28 Days Later, The Terminator, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Stand. I am Legend was listed already, as was the remake Dawn of the Dead.
Carpenter will probably do well in the countdown, Escape from New York could be a fun pairing.
How about a few that tie into the summer blockbuster and action season? T2, The Running Man, The Matrix, Robocop, Waterworld!
Random ones that I love: Children of Men, The Road, I remember liking Book of Eli but don't remember it, 12 Monkeys, Never Let Me Go, Gattaca, I am sure I will think of others.

I'll report back on The New Barbarians aka Warriors of the Wasteland (1983), an Italian Mad Max knock-off directed by Enzo Castellari who brought us the original Inglorious Bastards (1978).

Plot synopsis: In the year 2019, after a nuclear war, humanity is reduced to a few starving groups. A ruthless gang called "The Templars" constantly raid settlers in an attempt to exterminate everyone in order to purge the Earth. A former Templar, Scorpion, along with his allies, prevents a small band of religious colonists from being massacred by the Templars.

Imo, part of the love is the use of live action and less CGI than most movies on this scale. I think i just saw they took 70 plus days for one action scene in Furiosa, can't wait to watch that one. That has to account for something in the art of film making.

PS, flaming guitar guys is awesome 🔥

Imo, part of the love is the use of live action and less CGI than most movies on this scale. I think i just saw they took 70 plus days for one action scene in Furiosa, can't wait to watch that one. That has to account for something in the art of film making.

PS, flaming guitar guys is awesome 🔥
2nd only to oily saxophone guy!

:oldunsure:

• Laughing
Reactions: jwb
One of the best action movies ever
They went out. They turned around. They came right back. The end.
Sure and in Die Hard, he goes in a building and then leaves the building.
Saving Private Ryan - they land on a beach and they save Ryan.
Wizard of Oz- young girl takes a long nap on a Kansas farm

Reading the reviews on IMDB, this is about how I feel about Fury Road

For a while, Fury Road’s complete disinterest in screenwriting fundamentals feels liberating, as the director keeps upping the ante on this desperate chase through the desert. But what feels liberating at first can become monotonous, and Fury Road starts to drag once the frenetic sameness of Miller’s strategy takes hold. If one utterly bravura action sequence is revelatory, four or five in the exact same style borders on overkill.

For me, Mad MAx hit at the perfect point in time as cable was really starting to take hold and all of a sudden everyone wanted their MTV which led to us also having HBO. HBO's business model at the time was to show 100 movies round the clock over and over and over for months on end so you ran into the same ones all the time. Road Warrior was one of those movies and me and my 15 year old friends must have watched it 30/40 times in a few year span. The leather chaps, the rooster mohawks, the metal teeth and skeevy preening thugs all made for damn fine bad guys against the baddest *** leather jacket wearing Clint Eastwood in dystopia clone who offers, against his loner will, to fight for and protect the poor, dirty yet good hearted people. And the cars...yeah man! Bring on the jet engines and suped up dune buggies and let's ride!! MAd Max and Road Warrior were cool and intense fun for me much like Star Wars which is truthfully even worse when it comes to dialogue and plot but awesome in its own right.

As for Furiosa Road, man what a great return with vengeance for George Miller. Brining back Immortan Joe and adding a layer to his story while also putting my love, Charlize Theron, in the lead alongside mumbles Hardy was a great start. Add in the super duper awesome cars and flaming guitars and massive speaker trucks and folks pole vaulting from and too speeding vehicles and I was in heaven!! I was transfixed for 2 hours and am stoked for the next installment!

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)

This film was a sensation in the early 80s capturing the zeitgeist of the era through its Punk aesthetic and sharply etched post-apocalyptic environment. It was a huge step up from the original with 10x the budget and much better production values. I saw a couple of times in the theater when it came out and again in the late-2000s with my kids but it's been a while since I returned to it. I know it's a Boomer take but it'll always be the Mad Max standard for me.

You know the story; there's not a lot to it. It's basically an updated Western with Gibson as the lone outsider saving the settlers from the Indians. Miller makes the most of it with a set of memorable characters adding color to the bare bones of the plot. The villains, Gyro Captain, dog and kid are all great and bring a lot to the film although the closing reveal about the feral kid seems kind of implausible. But Gibson is the center of the film and he's terrific. Along with Peter Weir's Gallipoli released the same year, MM2 made him into a global superstar.

I think a society dependent on scarce petroleum could probably make more effective use of the resource than driving around and blowing things up but it makes for great action sequences that mostly hold up today. A few of the shock effects show their age and budgetary constraints but Miller and his editors cut away from the cheesiest bits quickly. I especially liked how Miller introduced the main story by showing the settler's compound through the eyes of Max and Gyro Captain in long POV shots that showed off the scale of the set constructed in the Outback.

Last edited:
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)

This film was a sensation in the early 80s capturing the zeitgeist of the era through its Punk aesthetic and sharply etched post-apocalyptic environment. It was a huge step up from the original with 10x the budget and much better production values. I saw a couple of times in the theater when it came out and again in the late-2000s with my kids but it's been a while since I returned to it. I know it's a Boomer take but it'll always be the Mad Max standard for me.

You know the story; there's not a lot to it. It's basically an updated Western with Gibson as the lone outsider saving the settlers from the Indians. Miller makes the most of it with a set of memorable characters adding color to the bare bones of the plot. The villains, Gyro Captain, dog and kid are all great and bring a lot to the film although the closing reveal about the feral kid seems kind of implausible. But Gibson is the center of the film and he's terrific. Along with Peter Weir's Gallipoli released the same year, MM2 made him into a global superstar.

I think a society dependent on scarce petroleum could probably make more effective use of the resource than driving around and blowing things up but it makes for great action sequences that mostly hold up today. A few of the shock effects show their age and budgetary constraints but Miller and his editors cut away from them quickly. I especially liked how Miller introduced the main story by showing the settler's compound through the eyes of Max and Gyro Captain in long POV shots that showed off the scale of the set constructed in the Outback.
“If it’s all the same to you, I’ll drive that tanker.”

The Road Warrior is a top ten all time for me. Max has an arc! Love it.

It's interesting that without zombies the post-apocalyptic idea just isn't very interesting.

Dystopian, however, has a lot more interesting things to say
I've thinking about this comment today, and you might be on to something. I think what it comes down to is there doesn't seem to be that many ways people think will bring on an apocalypse. Zombie/virus seems to dominate. Natural catastrophe seems to be either in the Day After Tomorrow and Geostorm realm or others that tend to get a bit preachy. Speaking preachy, others can get a bit religious, and that's usually not my interest either.

Dystopian usually is where my loves and interest lie as well.

100% agree
Saw it on a massive screen with incredible sound
Didn't totally get everything 100% the first time thru and did not care, visually stunning and one of the last films I can remember at the theater where I was blown away out of my seat.
One of the best experiences I have ever had in a movie theater, right up there to childhood flashbacks of Raiders, Star Wars, Superman, this movie was incredible to watch

@KarmaPolice
-You keep going with these threads, really enjoy them

This new Mad Max saga, is it as good as Fury Road?

My rankings
1. Road Warrior...Mad Max pt 2 is better than the original, is there a tug o war over this?
2. Fury Road
3. Mad Max
4. Thunderdome

Pt-2 and 4 would rank ahead of the original for me and the first Mad Max is actually very good but it's not what you experience in 2 and 4 IMHO
Is this part 5 currently at the theater?

Last edited:
Just got back from vacation and am pleasantly surprised by this month's choice. Love the Mad Max films (have the same ranks as MoP and Eephus: 2-4-1-3). In one of Tim's movie drafts, I ranked the car chase at the end of Mad Max 2 as the 4th best of all time. And I only ranked it 4th because I picked it and I was also the judge, and tend to shy away from giving my own picks the top spots, but c'mon, it's the best ever.

Just got back from vacation and am pleasantly surprised by this month's choice. Love the Mad Max films (have the same ranks as MoP and Eephus: 2-4-1-3). In one of Tim's movie drafts, I ranked the car chase at the end of Mad Max 2 as the 4th best of all time. And I only ranked it 4th because I picked it and I was also the judge, and tend to shy away from giving my own picks the top spots, but c'mon, it's the best ever.

Where does this one rank on your list?

Looks like #9 if my math is correct.

here's a link to the page where I rank them over several posts: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/timdraft-4-movie-category-draft.680027/page-83

Looks like #9 if my math is correct.

here's a link to the page where I rank them over several posts: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/timdraft-4-movie-category-draft.680027/page-83
Damn - over a decade ago. Where does the time go??

Well, I did it - I beasted out all the Mad Max movies. Personally, I would have the top 2 reversed from the last several who have posted. The order for me would be 4-2-1-3.

I was hesitant at first, but I am so far glad we did these. It gave me a reason to learn a little more about Miller himself and watch some of the behind the scenes stuff, it definitely helped appreciate the movies more. I posted in the horror thread that I was thinking a lot about Sam Raimi while I was watching the series. What I meant by that is I don't love the Evil Dead series and specifically Raimi's humor as much as the masses. That said, I still have a couple of his movies at my house because I still love seeing how he created the movies and what he did to pull off his vision. That is how I feel about the Mad Max movies. I will be purchasing Fury Road for my monthly movie buy. I am still not fully on board and think some of the stuff is a bit too much, but I have officially fallen in love with how much was put into creating that insane vision. The stunt work is truly bananas.

As far as the older ones, I did enjoy the ride as well it was just a tad to 80s or cheesy for me to fully embrace. But to echo my thoughts above, I did find myself getting into the shots or rewinding spots because of how it was shot. I will say, there was a spot that got a jump from me (I think a body fell out of a semi when he opens a door?), so that means I should expect to see it soon on the top 200 horror movies countdown, right?

I will try my best to see Furiosa on the big screen now as well. :popcorn:

Has anyone seen the black and white / monochrome version of Fury Road? I have the bluray set of all the Mad Max movies, and I had forgotten it included that. Will watch tonight or tomorrow.

I'm actually debating whether or not I want to even see Furiosia. He should have mic dropped and walked away from the franchise imo. What more can be said or done after that brilliance?

Has anyone seen the black and white / monochrome version of Fury Road? I have the bluray set of all the Mad Max movies, and I had forgotten it included that. Will watch tonight or tomorrow.
Let me know how it is. It seems like a weird idea to me, the super saturated color palette seemed like one of the coolest parts of the movie

I'm actually debating whether or not I want to even see Furiosia. He should have mic dropped and walked away from the franchise imo. What more can be said or done after that brilliance?
I don't seem to like Taylor-Joy or prequels as much as the masses, but we will see. I didn't see Fury Road in the theater but want to catch this one in that format if I can.

Early Furiosa reviews are very good.

It brings me great joy to report that Furiosa is really, really f–king good.
David Ehrlich, IndieWire

It’s an antithesis to Fury Road in that where that film is sparse, this is verbose and epic, and where once was a nigh silent film is now a massive canvas of dystopia, despair, and glory.
David Crow, Den of Geek

Furiosa is two-and-a-half hours of colorful mayhem.
John Nguyen, Nerd Reactor

Early Furiosa reviews are very good.

It brings me great joy to report that Furiosa is really, really f–king good.
David Ehrlich, IndieWire

It’s an antithesis to Fury Road in that where that film is sparse, this is verbose and epic, and where once was a nigh silent film is now a massive canvas of dystopia, despair, and glory.
David Crow, Den of Geek

Furiosa is two-and-a-half hours of colorful mayhem.
John Nguyen, Nerd Reactor
Ok I'll see it.

In truth, I wasn't really debating whether I'd see it in the theater or not, more like hand wringing about whether I'll ultimately regret seeing it in the first place. These reviews give me some optimism in that regard.

I do still worry though...the sparseness is a strength. How much will be lost in filling in all the gaps?

Users who are viewing this thread