What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy football takes no skill (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zod, you're not demonstrating that there's no skill involved in fantasy football, you're just demonstrating that with the Internet, anyone can piggyback off of someone else's skill. Anyone can take Henry's preseason projections, and pair them with Dodds' weekly rankings, and waltz to a championship. That's true, but it's irrelevant- it doesn't prove that no skill is required, it just proves that Henry and Dodds are incredibly skilled. I could give a 3rd grader a pocket chess computer and enter him in a chess tournament, and he'd dominate despite not knowing a fork from a piin. Does this mean that chess doesn't require skill, or does this mean that if you borrow someone else's skill, you don't need any of your own?I think if you spend a lot more time in non-traditional formats (survivor, best ball, weird scoring systems, salary cap, dynasty), you'll observe the skill gap much more clearly. With a sudden dearth of widely-available expert skill off of which one can piggyback, you'll quickly find out who intuitively understands value, and who is a fraud who can't make his own decisions without first consulting the Internet.
This
The truth if i ever heard it.

Not sure all the mock debate going on here. Nobody can honestly claim based on any educated basis that FF is 100% luck. Likewise, nobody can honestly say it's 100% skill. Like the silly nature-nurture "debate" it's always a combination of both. Of importance to members of this board, one can control the luck factor by doing skillful things that increase the probability of success. Smart drafting, shrewd trades, educated lineup decisions, etc. But, the smarter, shrewder guy can still lose to someone with a high degree of luck.

It's really pretty stupid to claim this is all luck; doing so means you really haven't given this much thought or you're deliberately trying to be LHUCKSIAN. Others are being equally dumb to say luck isn't a part of this hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are nerds. You can draft all the right players, but there is no guarantee that they will all perform well in the same given week that happens to be week 16. NO ONE has the skill to predict this.
The only thing nerdy is the assumption that somebody with more skill ALWAYS wins. Nobody who has argued that skill is a major component of fantasy sports is arguing that skilled players always win--the argument is that a skilled owner is more likely to win than a non-skilled one. Luck is buying a lottery ticket and winning--it's purely random chance. With fantasy sports--you have some control over who you draft, the moves you make during the season, and the lineups you submit--if you are a skilled player--your lineup should have a better chance of winning in the long run. This doesn't mean that some opponents team can't go off against you in a given week. If skill had nothing to do with it--then you should basically have a computer randomly do your draft,and randomly set your lineups--remove the skill element completely and see how your team does. Saying that skill has no place in it is quite possibly the nerdiest thing in this entire post. Actually, I take that back--calling a bunch of people that you have most likely never met "nerds" actually takes the cake. If you can't type a post without calling people names and contributing anything useful--perhaps you shouldn't even comment.
:doh: :wall: :rolleyes:

It's all luck. You nerds who are trying to convince other people that it's all skill just got lucky this year.
Exactly... It is funny to see people to try and argue that fantasy sports has any "skill" in it...
Again, you clearly haven't given this much thought.
Really? There is nothing to "think" about... It is luck and being prepared and doing research is not a "skill"...
I rest my case.

It's all luck. You nerds who are trying to convince other people that it's all skill just got lucky this year.
Exactly... It is funny to see people to try and argue that fantasy sports has any "skill" in it...
Really? There is nothing to "think" about... It is luck and being prepared and doing research is not a "skill"...
I rest my case.
:doh:Thanks Forrest

I rest my case.
:doh:Thanks Forrest
I especially liked the part where you said conducting research is not a skill. But, I'm sure you could stumble upon your own independent line of research and interpret the findings of anything, so long as you have luck on your side.The ignorance is strong with this one.

Not sure all the mock debate going on here. Nobody can honestly claim based on any educated basis that FF is 100% luck. Likewise, nobody can honestly say it's 100% skill. Like the silly nature-nurture "debate" it's always a combination of both. Of importance to members of this board, one can control the luck factor by doing skillful things that increase the probability of success. Smart drafting, shrewd trades, educated lineup decisions, etc. But, the smarter, shrewder guy can still lose to someone with a high degree of luck.

It's really pretty stupid to claim this is all luck; doing so means you really haven't given this much thought or you're deliberately trying to be LHUCKSIAN. Others are being equally dumb to say luck isn't a part of this hobby.
And no one has, if anyone rereads the posts here. All the skill people have admitted that there is luck involved, while on the other side the OP and people like Dennis Maroon (or whatever) are adamant that it is 100% luck.

And no one has, if anyone rereads the posts here. All the skill people have admitted that there is luck involved, while on the other side the OP and people like Dennis Maroon (or whatever) are adamant that it is 100% luck.
LOL @ Maroon... Sure put me in my place...

Nah. You've done a bang up job on your own.

(clicks tongue and points fingers at you) Right back at ya...

You actually deleted your original "Right back at ya..." post to include the parenthetical? Wow, that's pathetic.

You actually deleted your original "Right back at ya..." post to include the parenthetical? Wow, that's pathetic.
There are ways around the "edit by" showing up...

Touchdowns are the reason why it's so luck-based. In other sports, there's no one statistic that is so heavily weighted in terms of fantasy scoring. The standard scoring system is fantasy football makes sense on paper, but is totally whacked out and stupid. Yards should be worth more, or TD's should be worth less. Also, kickers should have never been a part of fantasy. Their output is so largely determined on circumstance, and not on skill.

So, there are ways you can make your league less luck-based, if you can convince the masses.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I am not going to drudge through the crud.

A lot of people overlook how they benefited by not getting the player they wanted with a certain pick. For instance, in an auction a few years back, I put in a competitive bid for Deangelo Williams (the year he was expected to stud). I missed out on him by a few bucks. Williams was next to worthless and I won my league that year.

But if things had worked out like I intended on draft night, I probably miss the playoffs due to Williams.

A lot of people overlook how they benefited by not getting the player they wanted with a certain pick. For instance, in an auction a few years back, I put in a competitive bid for Deangelo Williams (the year he was expected to stud). I missed out on him by a few bucks. Williams was next to worthless and I won my league that year. But if things had worked out like I intended on draft night, I probably miss the playoffs due to Williams.
That is where your skill took over...

'cstu said:
'proninja said:
How much skill does it take to read a few websites and throw a dart at a board?You guys who are hot #### at fantasy football have a lot of free time. Not skill. Skill is what the players have.
Does Warren Buffett have skill?
Good call. You guys are just a whole bunch of Warren Buffetts in here.

'cstu said:
'proninja said:
How much skill does it take to read a few websites and throw a dart at a board?You guys who are hot #### at fantasy football have a lot of free time. Not skill. Skill is what the players have.
Translation: No Buffett does not have any skill, he just reads the same financial data as everyone else or has someone collect it for for him - in other words, he is 100% lucky.

'cstu said:
'proninja said:
Translation: No Buffet does not have any skill, he just reads the same financial data as everyone else or has someone collect it for for him - in other words, he is 100% lucky.
What's it like being the king of Omaha, Warren?

A lot of people overlook how they benefited by not getting the player they wanted with a certain pick. For instance, in an auction a few years back, I put in a competitive bid for Deangelo Williams (the year he was expected to stud). I missed out on him by a few bucks. Williams was next to worthless and I won my league that year. But if things had worked out like I intended on draft night, I probably miss the playoffs due to Williams.
Yeah, like if you got Lesean McCoy with the 10th pick and Fitz with the 14th and followed it up with DMC and Greg Jennings, you would have killed the draft and stopped FF in November.

Yeah, like if you got Lesean McCoy with the 10th pick and Fitz with the 14th and followed it up with DMC and Greg Jennings, you would have killed the draft and stopped FF in November.
Exactly. In that scenario, that guy is thinking "steal!" with every pick - but doomed out of the gate. Better that those guys went one pick sooner to some other dude

It boggles the mind that people keep replying to this thread.

The OP went to several different boards and spammed the same thread using the same user name. He's just looking to plug his own blog/article. Nothing more.

On Sept 28th he spammed every board he could find with the same thread at Fantasy Sharks, Rotoworld, Fantasy Smack Talk, Fantasy Football Xtreme, etc ....

Seriously. What a doosh.

Hadn't thought of it that way

fantasy sports and online poker are very similar in the skill vs luck arena. the skill in both is probability analysis, but someone lucky can still win regardless of how advanced another person is.

Negreanu's skill has little to do with the cards. He is a master-- an absolute master-- at reading people. It cannot be taught.
Negreanu is great at reading people online, too. It's not a mysterious feeling that comes to him by staring into somebody's soul. Reading people — i.e., figuring out what hands they are most likely to be holding — is largely a matter of recognizing what hands they play in what situations in what ways and then eliminating the possibilities that don't fit. It's an acquired skill that can be learned — and taught. Negreanu has learned to consider and eliminate more possible holdings more quickly and more accurately than most poker players are able to, but that's come with experience and hard work. To be sure, some people have a better natural aptitude for it than other people do, but anybody who's gotten very good at it has spent many hours practicing. It's very much like how a chess expert can glance at a board and recognize "mate in five" a lot more quickly than a non-expert can. To non-experts, his ability seems like magic. But it's not magic. It's a rational process that experienced experts have learned many shortcuts to. It's an acquired skill.

:lmao: People really get butt hurt when you tell them that its not a lot of skill involved when they win their FFL championship.
Yes which is funny because I am here saying it is all luck and I win all the time. So that puts people in a lose-lose scenario now. Either they have to admit it's all luck, or if they try to argue it is based on skill then they have to admit I am better than them at it.

:lmao: People really get butt hurt when you tell them that its not a lot of skill involved when they win their FFL championship.
Yes which is funny because I am here saying it is all luck and I win all the time. So that puts people in a lose-lose scenario now. Either they have to admit it's all luck, or if they try to argue it is based on skill then they have to admit I am better than them at it.
It boggles the mind that people keep replying to this thread.

The OP went to several different boards and spammed the same thread using the same user name. He's just looking to plug his own blog/article. Nothing more.

On Sept 28th he spammed every board he could find with the same thread at Fantasy Sharks, Rotoworld, Fantasy Smack Talk, Fantasy Football Xtreme, etc ....

Seriously. What a doosh.

In a 16 team $250 league I've finished 2nd 3rd 2nd and 1st the last 4 years. I average 2nd but should average 8th/9th. In a 10 team $125 office league I've finished. 2nd 1st 1st and 4th the last 4 years... Averaging 2nd but should 5th/6th. This isn't saying that I'm some fantasy expert... It's more a function of weak competition. That said, more often than not its the same folks in the playoffs In each league every year. Not saying luck isn't a factor but skill is more of a factor than many in here are giving credit for.
So you have had some good luck. What exactly does that prove?
You realize that the odds of making the top 3 in a 16 team league for four years in a row is around 0.1% right? Thats most likely not pure luck.

i think it's obvious that dumb luck can win you a championship - it happens. but to consistently make the playoffs takes skill imo... drafting well takes (some) skill. picking up the right people at the right prices with waivers takes (some) skill. i think we all understand that there is quite a bit of luck that comes into play... we can't predict what guys will do with 100% accuracy week in and week out, but to put yourself into a position to get to the playoffs each year takes skill in my book.

----

side note - the fact that OP came here to get clicks on his (quite) poor fantasy sports blog was pretty sad, but i give him credit for relentlessly backing it up here... it just unfortunate that he's wrong and won't admit it.

It boggles the mind that people keep replying to this thread.The OP went to several different boards and spammed the same thread using the same user name. He's just looking to plug his own blog/article. Nothing more.On Sept 28th he spammed every board he could find with the same thread at Fantasy Sharks, Rotoworld, Fantasy Smack Talk, Fantasy Football Xtreme, etc .... Seriously. What a doosh.
I didn't visit his blog. I just had a little fun with an entertaining discussion. He didn't gain anything.

It boggles the mind that people keep replying to this thread.The OP went to several different boards and spammed the same thread using the same user name. He's just looking to plug his own blog/article. Nothing more.On Sept 28th he spammed every board he could find with the same thread at Fantasy Sharks, Rotoworld, Fantasy Smack Talk, Fantasy Football Xtreme, etc .... Seriously. What a doosh.
I didn't visit his blog. I just had a little fun with an entertaining discussion. He didn't gain anything.
Of course you didn't, because you couldn't handle the irrefutable factual evidence presented there.

Of course you didn't, because you couldn't handle the irrefutable factual evidence presented there.
factual evidence that your 10 team league involved 0 skill to win? sure. the less teams you play against the less skill you need. let's see you try your shtick in a 12 team league next season...

What? I can handle it. I'll show you. I'll go to your blog and.....heeeeey, wait a minute! You almost got me. Gotta watch out for you. You're sneaky.

I think the deeper the league is, the more skill (and less luck) becomes a factor.
I think there is some credence to that. In my 16 team dynasty league there are 3 to 4 owners that make the playoffs every year. But when it comes to the post season, it all comes down to Lady Luck. My #1 seeded team lost to a 6-7 team in the first round of the playoffs when Brandon Llyod fell on a fumble in the endzone. My league mates call me Charlie Brown because most years I have the best team on paper but have the worst luck in the playoffs. All it takes is one bad break or wrong lineup decision and your playoff run is over. The owner that lost our Title game lost by 1 point when he pulled Antonio Brown out of his lineup on Sunday morning. Tough break for him but lucky for the other owner.

I think the deeper the league is, the more skill (and less luck) becomes a factor.
I think there is some credence to that. In my 16 team dynasty league there are 3 to 4 owners that make the playoffs every year. But when it comes to the post season, it all comes down to Lady Luck. My #1 seeded team lost to a 6-7 team in the first round of the playoffs when Brandon Llyod fell on a fumble in the endzone. My league mates call me Charlie Brown because most years I have the best team on paper but have the worst luck in the playoffs. All it takes is one bad break or wrong lineup decision and your playoff run is over. The owner that lost our Title game lost by 1 point when he pulled Antonio Brown out of his lineup on Sunday morning. Tough break for him but lucky for the other owner.
i agree with this. consistently getting to the playoffs is skill. winning the championship definitely takes more luck...for instance: with waivers turned off i was forced to choose between AZ and TB defenses in the championship game this year. i chose AZ against Chicago. 2 minutes left in that game, i had no one else playing the rest of the week, they were doing horribly, and i was down 5 points (he had SF defense going later that night). i had pretty much given up at that point, then BAM! a blocked field goal returned for TD - a 9 point play in our league - put me up by 4 points. there was hope!! i just had to survive the SF D and the seahawks dominated the 9ers bringing me to victory. i can't say that was skill. skill got me to the playoffs... luck won me the championship.

That is incorrect. The deeper a league is, the MORE luck is involved because then you start to rely on worse players thus increasing the chances of a fluke performance being the deciding factor in a matchup. Fewer teams in a league means that there will be more established talent on each team which reduces the flukiness (which Firefox says isn't a word but you get what I mean).

I agree with the notion that getting to the playoffs year after year takes skill, but head to head single elimination playoffs can be determined heavily by luck.

So why not take as much luck out as you can? In our 12 team league we've gone to a three week total point playoff for the teams that make it.

Is it as exciting as HTH matchups? Not really. But we feel like its the best we can do to minimize the luck factor of the playoffs. You'll never get rid of it all, and why would you want to?

How is this topic still being debated? Fantasy football, like poker, is a game that is inherently based upon chance. Youre looking to get all your "chips" (money, pride, etc) in with the "best hand" (team). Having skill or being skilled increases your odds of "hitting" on more picks, aquisitions, etc and thus your odds of winning. But even the most skilled fantasy player can go 0-13 just as the most skilled poker player can bust on the first hand. Arguing definitively one way or the other between luck and skill is silly because youll never be right. Youll need both to win consistently at this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread