What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Podcasts (1 Viewer)

ESPN - Berry & Yates. I like these guys. As mentioned earlier, they try to be funny and fail miserably - but I like the info provided.
Thanks for sticking up for the WWL. It was beginning to feel like they're the Creed of fantasy podcasts (no one will admit to liking them, but somehow they have platinum albums).

Actually, for me the better metaphor may be shows like "Friends" or "24". By the end of their runs, they were really thoroughly mediocre, but I kept watching out of habit. Fantasy Focus is definitely worse without Ravitz, but I like having a daily podcast I can listen to and feel caught up on everything. I'm sure I could find another daily podcast that would accomplish the same goal, but inertia will probably prevent me from switching.
I think they get a bad rep because EVERYONE listens to them. I don't think they have bad info, it's just that it's not info that is different.

ESPN - Berry & Yates. I like these guys. As mentioned earlier, they try to be funny and fail miserably - but I like the info provided.
Thanks for sticking up for the WWL. It was beginning to feel like they're the Creed of fantasy podcasts (no one will admit to liking them, but somehow they have platinum albums).

Actually, for me the better metaphor may be shows like "Friends" or "24". By the end of their runs, they were really thoroughly mediocre, but I kept watching out of habit. Fantasy Focus is definitely worse without Ravitz, but I like having a daily podcast I can listen to and feel caught up on everything. I'm sure I could find another daily podcast that would accomplish the same goal, but inertia will probably prevent me from switching.
I think they get a bad rep because EVERYONE listens to them. I don't think they have bad info, it's just that it's not info that is different.
Pretty schticky. Once the season starts and there's news, I might go back. Haven't listened post Ravitz. Trying it today. (I'm not an ff'er tho')

I'm listening to today's ESPN podcast and it's terrible. So far almost 15 minutes have gone by and nothing has really been talked about that is helpful. It's just like listening to regular sports radio.

Just listened to the Fantasy Footballers - and yeah that is a high quality production, but I can't say they provide anything more than the rest. I've added them to rotation and will listen to each episode until my draft is complete - then probably just listen to The Couch only.

Good stuff from CBS today, a lot of good solid info, underrated guys imho, the booths a bit crowded, and I don't love Heath, but I feel like Jaimey gives a ton of info to digest and Richards is quirky with his takes and I often disagree with him, but I like his style... They are a pretty solid daily listen... And the default for me when I don't have a fbg podcast that day...

fantasy footballers I kinda like, but I'm not jiving with there rankings as much....

On the couch this week with silva and sig was way too heavy on Ellington and hill, way too much, but keep it coming sig...

I'm not loving ESPN post Nate, but I do think Stephania gives very very good iinfo on injuries, with the amount of injuries we often see she should be featured daily on this show... Not as good as it used to be..

After he appeared on Sigs on the couch, I've given Christopher Harris, Harris football a couple of listens, not bad, but he could use a partner to bounce stuff off with.
He definitely could use a partner. I used to listen to his ESPN Fantasy Undeground. I liked his takes, but it seemed like he was so wrong all the time. I would almost just do the opposite of whatever he said. I do like his podcast though and think it's worth checking out.
After he appeared on Sigs on the couch, I've given Christopher Harris, Harris football a couple of listens, not bad, but he could use a partner to bounce stuff off with.
He definitely could use a partner. I used to listen to his ESPN Fantasy Undeground. I liked his takes, but it seemed like he was so wrong all the time. I would almost just do the opposite of whatever he said. I do like his podcast though and think it's worth checking out.
The problem with Harris is he is waaaay too conservative. Almost scared to endorse anyone who has not had multiple years of success. He is very knowledgable. Does a lot of film study so his takes on some players are very good . He does need a co-host.

Forgot to add what I liked about Harris podcast, it's daily, which is a good thing this time of year...
Agreed. Harris' analysis is in depth and on timely topics He could use a partner but has some quality guests now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasy Footballers had Martavis Bryant on for a few questions on their most recent episode . Had to be taped prior to the announcement of his suspension.

Fantasy Footballers had Martavis Bryant on for a few questions on their most recent episode . Had to be taped prior to the announcement of his suspension.
Yeah, the podcast was released literally an hour before the suspension was announced.

i've listened to on the couch and the audible for a couple of years. easily the best ones. i've tried espn and cbs when i run out of fbg ones, but i just straight up stopped. the espn one is SUPER annoying. just really hard to listen to. cbs is ok, but a lot of their advice is vanilla. i enjoyed some of their interactions, but no real FF value there. i am tempted to check out some of the other pods mentioned on here, but i think i'll just stick with fbg and use the rest of the time to come up with my own content.

wish FBGs would break theirs up. All I really want is ONT and the audible. Don't need IDP, Daily, team capsules etc. They back up quick and once they are 5 deep they stop the auto DL.

Short Corner said:
wish FBGs would break theirs up. All I really want is ONT and the audible. Don't need IDP, Daily, team capsules etc. They back up quick and once they are 5 deep they stop the auto DL.
That makes sense to me as well. I do think it would hurt the download numbers of the newer podcasts though not to have them lumped together. If you were paying for them I think it would be fair to insist on only the podcasts you want.... but since they are free I don't mind skipping through the ones I have no interest in if it helps their numbers/rankings.

The FBG Town Hall Broadcast was real good. imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1H4v6bD1A
:goodposting:

This was really really well done. Joe, Joe, Joe, man you need to be like Nick Cannon on AGT or Billy Crystal hosting the Oscars, come on, you were by far the lamest part. In all seriousness though, surrounding yourself with those top notch experts who could blame you, was a thing of beauty. Well done guys.
I would love to hear two of these a year. One at the start of training camps, and another on the evening of the final cut down day. It's great to hear so many quick takes on a broad range of players.

The problem with Harris is he is waaaay too conservative. Almost scared to endorse anyone who has not had multiple years of success. He is very knowledgable. Does a lot of film study so his takes on some players are very good . He does need a co-host.
True, but this was the reason I really enjoy Harris and Bloom on the same podcast together. Harris is conservative but Bloom is like the kid on your little league team that grabs the biggest bat he can find and swings to hit the ball out to the street on the first three pitches he sees. That strategy is fine if you plan on grinding the waiver wire and trade market all year long for hours each week but there are definitely pitfalls to trying to dominate your league rather than simply win your league.

Can we just agree to say, "Who would you rather have?" When comparing players.

Don't know why, but all too often hosts get all confused when talking about whether to trade player x for z.

Host A: Would you trade Gore for Forsett?

Host B: No.

Host A: Would you trade Forsett for Ellington?

Host B: (Waits three seconds to figure out new similar question) Yes.

Just say Gore or Forsett? Forsett or Ellington.

Mon: Crap, I'm never gonna get through all these podcasts

Tue: OMG!! Not enough podcasts!

Wed: OMG!! Not enough podcasts!

Thur: Crap, I'm never gonna get through all these podcasts

Fri: OMG!! Not enough podcasts!

Just imagine what it's going to be like when EVERYONE is going to simply be able to stream any podcast they want in their car? You can do it now by fiddling with your phone but if it was just built into the dash the appetite for podcasts would be tremendous. I've felt for a long time that advertisers are really missing the boat as podcasts seem like the most targeted and loyal audiences out there in any medium.

Chris Harris . . . that is an excellent podcast. I like his format.

Really happy for his success, too. Launched in August and has done well on iTunes and landed a bunch of sponsors already.

Jack White said:

Really happy for his success, too. Launched in August and has done well on iTunes and landed a bunch of sponsors already.
Couldn't agree more - big fan of Chris Harris. He does a really good job with his show. And no fake announcer voice like Cecil which has really started to grate on me for some reason this year.

Jack White said:

Couldn't agree more - big fan of Chris Harris. He does a really good job with his show. And no fake announcer voice like Cecil which has really started to grate on me for some reason this year.
Cecil has always sounded like he is trying to win a Jim Rome smack off. Only tolerable if Bloom and Waldman are on their game. When they get into their group think, ie the only time the three of them can agree on something and be wrong the coach must be making irrational decisions, it's pretty much garbage.

Will have to check out Harris.

Sig/Cecil's recaps and following week's preview are all the time I have for as of now. CBS and the ESPN circus just sit there. Does Berry have to throw a parade every time Stephania Bell is on. Almost patronizing.

Jack White said:

Cecil has always sounded like he is trying to win a Jim Rome smack off. Only tolerable if Bloom and Waldman are on their game. When they get into their group think, ie the only time the three of them can agree on something and be wrong the coach must be making irrational decisions, it's pretty much garbage.
So J. Bell should continus to get carries?

Jack White said:

So J. Bell should continus to get carries?
Yes....and shoot your FAAB wad on CMike. Garret is clearly the idiot here

Will have to check out Harris.

Sig/Cecil's recaps and following week's preview are all the time I have for as of now. CBS and the ESPN circus just sit there. Does Berry have to throw a parade every time Stephania Bell is on. Almost patronizing.
If you had to 5 podcasts/week with Yates you'd be happy for anyone else riding along.

CBS has been out of the rotation for sometime. Still download ESPN but get to it maybe once/week. I like Evan Silva on the We Eatin podcast. May give Harris another try. He was just so horrible in the past when paired with Yates.

2 of the best Podcasts ive heard this year was the AUdible live mainly for the last 30mins or so watching the reactions to the Steelers game and Rummy and Ray when it was announced Rummy had left and then triumphantly returned. Guess that makes 3 but quality listening none the less

Been listening to all the Audible podcasts for a few years now.

Obviously, OTC is the best there is. Thursday night Audible is often great, but can fluctuate. This weeks wasn't much use when it descended into 40 mins of Steelers/Ravens chat but I suppose it was kind of funny to hear them all worked up.

Started listening to Fantasy Footballers. It's not dense and full of great info but it's a good breezy listen, the audio is good and they are entertaining. Nice that it's daily as well.

Do also now listen to the Tucker/Silva feast podcast. It's pretty simple, the feast sound clip things are pretty weird, but it's good getting Silvas take every week.

Jack White said:

Ugh, I agree. I really like the guys on the FanDuel/Draft Kings shows, but I'm unclear why Cecil needs to announce that it is the FootballGuys podcast every five seconds. But yes, I agree - the only real reason to listen to the Audible is for Bloom and Waldman. I'm glad Cecil doesn't interject with his opinions much, because they aren't worth much. I'm also grateful that he stays out of Bloom's way during the other Audible podcasts, thank heavens. I'm not sure why his silly announcer voice has never bugged me before, or maybe it has gotten worse? I think contrasted with Bloom's sincere thanks to the audience it does sound worse because Cecil has never sounded sincere. The constant "sorry Joe" is beyond tiresome as well. Thank heavens for Bloom and Waldman though.

2 of the best Podcasts ive heard this year was the AUdible live mainly for the last 30mins or so watching the reactions to the Steelers game
The last 30 minutes was terrific on the Audible this past week.

Been listening to all the Audible podcasts for a few years now.

Obviously, OTC is the best there is. Thursday night Audible is often great, but can fluctuate. This weeks wasn't much use when it descended into 40 mins of Steelers/Ravens chat but I suppose it was kind of funny to hear them all worked up.

Started listening to Fantasy Footballers. It's not dense and full of great info but it's a good breezy listen, the audio is good and they are entertaining. Nice that it's daily as well.

Do also now listen to the Tucker/Silva feast podcast. It's pretty simple, the feast sound clip things are pretty weird, but it's good getting Silvas take every week.
Funny, as contrasted with the last post I quoted, we disagree with you, but that's the beauty of different opinions. I think there is always use in the Audible and absolutely so this past week as there was a ton of good information from Bloom and Waldman.

Fantasy Footballers is cream puff, but great description - good breezy listen and the audio is good. That's a real underrated aspect. I remember a few years ago on the Audible when Bloom wouldn't come in that loud and it would feel like Cecil was shouting.

I can't say I really like the Tucker/Silva Fantasy Eatin' podcast. Not enough interesting stuff for me. But the Rotoviz podcast, even though Matthew Friedman sounds like a robot, can be useful. Thank goodness he brought on a co-host! He really struggled badly by himself, even though he usually has good stuff to say.

Draft Sharks packs in a lot of info and good advice in shorter time. For outside the box thinking try football diehards. Their website is crud but the pod gets you to question some assumptions in a good way.

Really funny! :thumbup: The well runs dry on the weekend, too.

"What the heck flex" needs to die a cold hard death. It's annoying as hell.

And Cecil it is alright to just call it "Fanduel" ocassionally instead of always saying "FAN.DUEL.DOT.COM" like the draft robot. Please. I am begging here.

It's odd that all the podcasts slow down the closer you get to gametime. Perhaps I'm missing something.
For up to the minute info you don't go to something that was previously recorded.

Saturday is a (typical) non work day, and is also college football day.

KFAN Fantasy football weekly is one of the few Saturday podcasts, and is excellent.

I was going to comment on that episode of "On the Couch", although I am probably coming off as a fan boy at this point. It was one of my favorite episodes despite the fact I disagree with Harris often. Bloom is very good but if he does have a weakness I think he is too nice a guy and it seems like he agrees with everything the guest says... so it was interesting to finally hear a little jousting since Harris holds positions that are the opposite of those Bloom holds. I have often thought "the Couch" would be even better if there were more disagreeing opinions(Ellington/McCoy) ping-ponged back and forth like that. Bloom needs a "bad cop" sidekick that challenges positions held by a guest in a non-confrontational way even if they only piped up 10-20% of the time.
Bloom also could use a co-host to finish sentences for him. I've never heard a podcaster before who gets so excited that he routinely starts his next sentence before finishing his first one. Every now and then, it's kinda funny. But it happened so much on the Harris episode that it sounded like Harris was debating a 5th grader souped up on adderall. He's fun to listen to and he's smart, but I'd love Bloom so much more if he talked 10% less.

Another podcast that has not yet been mentioned is Grantland's NFL Podcast with Bill Barnwell and Robert Mays. It's not a fantasy podcast, although they both play and they touch on fantasy topics. However, it is so jam-packed with detailed analysis, from big-picture stuff like coaching and scheme issues all the way down to the play of individual offensive linemen. It's probably the smartest sports podcast I've ever heard, and even if I don't always agree with their opinions, they are very good at identifying the nitty-gritty of what happens on the field.
FYI, something's going down with the Grantland podcast. There have been no podcasts since last Monday, with the only explanation a few terse tweets from Barnwell announcing there would be no podcast that day.

The rumor is it has something to do with them giving a shout-out to the four Grantlanders who left to work with Bill Simmons. Both Barnwell and Mays have continued to write for the site (and tweet).

I really don't understand ESPN's policy of suspending employees like wayward teenagers.

I've abandoned the ESPN daily since Nate left, really only listened for the rapport and some tidbits.. Ive replaced that daily with the CBS daily podcast, I kinda like these guys, they have a good time. The info is just so so

Still enjoy on the couch, and the pre and post games for football guys.

After draft day, I haven't really listened to any others....

FBG are great podcasts. Rotoviz is also excellent. FBG is very scouting based and Rotoviz is a lot of times numbers based.

Harris football podcast is also very worthy of listening, scouting based.

I also like Rich Hribar on The Faked Goods podcast that has a lot of Dynasty content. Chad is Ok too, he is smarter than his shtick.

I'm a really big podcast nerd... here's my tiers for podcasts.

Always listen to:

FBG on the couch

FBG the audible (with Waldman)

Rotoviz Radio

Harris football

Faked Goods

Maybe listen to:

Rummy and Ray

Living the stream

If I get really bored:

Dynasty League Football

Fantasy Feast

Don't listen to anymore but used to:

Pyro Podcast

CBS

ESPN

Fantasy Football guys

Fantasy footballers

Basically better stuff like Rotoviz, Harris and Faked goods came out so I don't listen to the same stuff anymore. FBG used to be on its own tier but others are upping their podcast game.

i to been digging chris harris.
I agree, also like a couple others but I finally had to stop listening to any of the FBG podcasts.
Any reason why?
To be honest, they just waste too much time trying to make each other laugh now. I've listened to them from the time they started putting podcast out, but between all of the jokes now, there just isn't enough to hold my interests. But I did enjoy them up until then.

It's odd that all the podcasts slow down the closer you get to gametime. Perhaps I'm missing something.
For up to the minute info you don't go to something that was previously recorded.
Could be a live stream on any of the sites for the hour before early morning games.

Users who are viewing this thread