What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Implications from MNF Game (1 Viewer)

Im not involved but this idea of using averages or the week priors stats is an awful idea. Im not even sure why its a consideration. If a player gets hurt hes out. The game got called, the stats are the stats.

IMO the stats are what the stats are at the calling of the game. Seems incredibly simple to me. Any other solution and youre opening the door for problems.
Fully with you on this idea that the stats are the stats. Some players got some very small amounts and then the game ended. Was good with that outcome (I was in the title game and was up at the time). It’s what the system did on its own, without any manual input. Then yesterday MFL removed all stats from Mondays game, so the scores reverted back to what they were Monday morning. Stay with this, or manually input the half a quarter of stats from what was played?

Personally, I would go by the official box score.
Whose? The NFL or MFL, who hosts our league? According to the latter, the game was never played.

In fact, according to the former (on their site right now), the game hasn’t even been played and is still “upcoming”. There is no score, and if you click on “game details”, there are no stats from what was played.
Right. It’s akin to a rainout in the 3rd inning.
Sorry, I don’t follow baseball. If a player got a hit in the first, does it count? Does the game get replayed later?

Im not involved but this idea of using averages or the week priors stats is an awful idea. Im not even sure why its a consideration. If a player gets hurt hes out. The game got called, the stats are the stats.

IMO the stats are what the stats are at the calling of the game. Seems incredibly simple to me. Any other solution and youre opening the door for problems.
That is ridiculous. They didn't even play a QTR. It's not like the players got hurt. Any commish that accepted that as final I would quit that league. They are just being lazy and taking the easy way out, unless they were down 6 points had Allen, Mixon, and Gabe Davis going in the game and their opponent had none ;) Commish or not, I wouldn't blame anyone for not accepting that.
players didn't get any points, so be it. Averaging points is ridiculous.

Fully with you on this idea that the stats are the stats. Some players got some very small amounts and then the game ended. Was good with that outcome (I was in the title game and was up at the time). It’s what the system did on its own, without any manual input. Then yesterday MFL removed all stats from Mondays game, so the scores reverted back to what they were Monday morning. Stay with this, or manually input the half a quarter of stats from what was played?

Whose? The NFL or MFL, who hosts our league? According to the latter, the game was never played.

In fact, according to the former (on their site right now), the game hasn’t even been played and is still “upcoming”. There is no score, and if you click on “game details”, there are no stats from what was played.
Not much of a baseball fan, but don't they make up rainouts?

Sorry, I don’t follow baseball. If a player got a hit in the first, does it count? Does the game get replayed later?

stats count in baseball on called games (or they finish them later at the exact same spot)

Well..... I have a real good Championship Game situation for you all to see and hear....... A real doozy.....

Before the Buff/Cincy game:

Team A has 119.08

Team B
has 122.32

Team B
has no one left. No player in the Buff/Cincy game.
Stays at 122.32 points

Team A has Tyler Boyd left. Boyd scores the TD.
Gets 7.90 points
Goes to 126,98 points.

Now what??????!!!!!

How should this situation be handled if the game is not resumed?????
If team B isn't conceding already I'd call him some names that might get a brief timeout here. This one's a no brainer

using player averages is the same as those liking participation trophies. If the game is never played, then those players get zero points.
It sucks, but that's what it is. The players didn't get any points.
So if someone had Allen, Chase, and Mixon and was down 1 point going into the game they should lose? Nah man, thats some BS right there.
The victim is Damar Hamlin and his immediate family
There are no FF victims

We all understand that you or whoever were a shoe in for first place and if gawd forbid you happen to be the Commish, you have to dig deep to put the leadership shoes on and do the right thing and just chop the pot

If you choose not to, that's on you but trying to justify it or paint yourself as a victim or somehow getting jobbed, life is not fair
Millions are left empty yesterday and this morning but life moves on.
For Damar Hamlin, life is not moving on, not yet anyways

I'm just asking a poster who in general I enjoy and brings a lot of passion to their posts, I would take a step back and think about it a little
Is it a 20-year league? Do you want to have a 21st?
That's what we asked in a lot of these leagues, we want everyone back next year and not cause a rift

We were hoping for a relaxed season post pandemic, just didn't work out that way
Cheers!

stats count in baseball on called games (or they finish them later at the exact same spot)
if the game is called before it's a regulation game..IE rainout in the 4th inning, stats do NOT count.

if the game is called before it's a regulation game..IE rainout in the 4th inning, stats do NOT count.

Thanks, Ill edit my post

Crazy to try to rewrite this as a fantasy league now. Its a pretend game of stats, stats didn't happen. Im losing a third place game because of this with Diggs.

using player averages is the same as those liking participation trophies. If the game is never played, then those players get zero points.
So if someone had Allen, Chase, and Mixon and was down 1 point going into the game they should lose? Nah man, thats some BS right there.
There are no FF victims

We all understand that you or whoever were a shoe in for first place and if gawd forbid you happen to be the Commish, you have to dig deep to put the leadership shoes on and do the right thing and just chop the pot

If you choose not to, that's on you but trying to justify it or paint yourself as a victim or somehow getting jobbed, life is not fair

I'm just asking a poster who in general I enjoy and brings a lot of passion to their posts, I would take a step back and think about it a little
That's what we asked in a lot of these leagues, we want everyone back next year and not cause a rift

We were hoping for a relaxed season post pandemic, just didn't work out that way
Cheers!
Are you ****ing serious man? GTFO here with this nonsense. We're all having a debate about the FF implications in this thread. Nobody is painting themselves as the victim or whining. Heck neither of the championships in my leagues were impacted by the cancelation. Of course we are all praying for Hamlin and thats the important thing. Get off your high horse.

What do you guys do if you feel bad when youre winning but know you probably would of lost if it continued? It was a battle of the top 2 teams.
Team A had the best record. Outscored Team B by over 150pts in the season. Team B was winning by 33pts. Team A had Burrow and Diggs left and PROBABLY was going to win.
What are some thoughts here? If the game doesnt resume Do you chop it? Does Team B just say its yours and chop the pot? Team B keeps top spot money and give Team A the champoinshio?

This is an unprecedent situation that could not of been predicted at this time of the season but games get cancelled in all sports that alter a Win and loss.
In fantasy baseball, games get postponed all the time and I know not with this magnitude that alter the weeks and wins for a team.
Ours is similar and, as stated above, my preference is to call them co-champs and split the money. I think any outcome comes with an asterisk so I may as well recognize both teams.
What if one team has a 6 point lead with no players left and the other team has Josh Allen, joe Mixon, and Gabe Davis left and that team is the commissioner?
Anyone who doesn't concede when the outcome was this obvious is a tool IMHO, regardless of whether the opponent was the commish. TOugh spot for the commish though. In his spot I'd let him know exactly what I thought of his position even while splitting the pot with him.

Seriously....are people this obtuse over these relatively small stakes? Through all my leagues, half the games were either actually decided or were so obvious that the chances of the underdog pulling it out were crazy small (like the guy earlier who would have needed a season high from Allen to win). These should be awarded to the obvious winners. Games that were in any kind of reasonable doubt should be chopped. Do it and move on.
(I realize reasonable doubt can be slightly subjective, but apply the Allen test above....if it required season high scores from two players...it's not reasonable. If it required merely good games, then it is) IN this case, season LOW scores from all three players would have still resulted in an easy win. IE: the guy claiming victory by 6 is a tool.

Are you referring to stats for MLB or fantasy purposes? MLB picks up suspended games from where they left off (rule change during COVID).

Yahoo Fantasy baseball has this guideline for suspended games: “When a game is suspended, all player scoring up until the suspension is applied. The remainder of the game's scoring for all players will be applied retroactively once play resumes using stat corrections. Since stat corrections are only processed on Mondays, there may be a posting delay. Exception - In Head-to-head leagues corrections will only be processed if they apply to the most recently completed matchup.”

That is ridiculous. They didn't even play a QTR. It's not like the players got hurt. Any commish that accepted that as final I would quit that league. They are just being lazy and taking the easy way out, unless they were down 6 points had Allen, Mixon, and Gabe Davis going in the game and their opponent had none ;) Commish or not, I wouldn't blame anyone for not accepting that.
I didn't say anything about averaging points. My solution is to apply week 18 points for the Bills and Bengals players to week 17 if the game is cancelled. If it is replayed, then apply those points to week 17. end-of-sotry.

Why do you care so much what other leagues do? This is a unique situation that thankfully has never happened before. You say averages are ridiculous and that's fine but many say taking zeros is just as ridiculous. I'm in a 32 team league with team QB's and we use an average score when players are on a bye so I don't have a problem with using averages in this instance, much better than taking a 0 imo. The point is valid arguments can be made on both sides of this along with other options like using week 18 stats for those players involved, chopping pots etc.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but the NFL doesn’t have a similar rule do they?

What do you guys do if you feel bad when youre winning but know you probably would of lost if it continued? It was a battle of the top 2 teams.
Team A had the best record. Outscored Team B by over 150pts in the season. Team B was winning by 33pts. Team A had Burrow and Diggs left and PROBABLY was going to win.
What are some thoughts here? If the game doesnt resume Do you chop it? Does Team B just say its yours and chop the pot? Team B keeps top spot money and give Team A the champoinshio?

This is an unprecedent situation that could not of been predicted at this time of the season but games get cancelled in all sports that alter a Win and loss.
In fantasy baseball, games get postponed all the time and I know not with this magnitude that alter the weeks and wins for a team.
Ours is similar and, as stated above, my preference is to call them co-champs and split the money. I think any outcome comes with an asterisk so I may as well recognize both teams.
What if one team has a 6 point lead with no players left and the other team has Josh Allen, joe Mixon, and Gabe Davis left and that team is the commissioner?
Anyone who doesn't concede when the outcome was this obvious is a tool IMHO, regardless of whether the opponent was the commish. TOugh spot for the commish though. In his spot I'd let him know exactly what I thought of his position even while splitting the pot with him.
I removed the possibility of a split by applying week 18 points for the Bills and Bengals players to week 17 if the game is cancelled. If it is replayed, then apply those points to week 17. I did this for the 3 leagues I commish. I'm only in the title game in one of them, mentioned earlier where I have 3 players and he has none and he's up 6. It's the fairest way to do this IMO.

There are no easy decisions here, but I think it’s notable that the game has not been canceled, called or declared over. Seems odd to declare the end of week 17 in fantasy football when one game used in it is still in limbo. The right move feels like to wait and see what the league does with this game.

There are no FF victims

Cheers!
I'm glad that everyone is happy with the split pot in your league, but I don't understand why that is considered good leadership over using a much fairer solution. I'm dealing with this in three leagues, and everyone is fine using the week 18 stats for those players. In fact, in one league where I'm playing my brother, we have decided that if it looks like there may be players from that week 18 game not playing, we will take the stats from their first playoff game. It's super easy, the game gets played and we have an actual winner. Splitting the pot just seems lazy and defeats the purpose of the game.
None of these solutions will have any effect on Damar Hamlin's recovery, so it has nothing to do with moving on.

I am the commish and I was winning the title game in two leagues before the game started and at the time the game was suspended I was still winning both leagues.

I’ve awarded myself both titles and claimed the funds, simple.

Are you ****ing serious man? GTFO here with this nonsense. We're all having a debate about the FF implications in this thread. Nobody is painting themselves as the victim or whining. Heck neither of the championships in my leagues were impacted by the cancelation. Of course we are all praying for Hamlin and thats the important thing. Get off your high horse.

Doesn't sound like much of a debate, not sure what there is to debate
Everyone will have a better story of how they were ahead by 1,000 points and yada yada yada
We couldn't even award an actual winner for the trophy, guy was up 50 with really nothing left to decide on Monday Night and there was quarreling so...
Chop the pot and no winner in '22,
Vacant Title
But we have our leagues set for '23, didn't lose any league members
We all have to look in the mirror, that's why you all are pouring this out on a message board
Pure Guilt
:lmao:

Like I said, Joba, in general I appreciate your passion
Cheers!

I removed the possibility of a split by applying week 18 points for the Bills and Bengals players to week 17 if the game is cancelled. If it is replayed, then apply those points to week 17. I did this for the 3 leagues I commish. I'm only in the title game in one of them, mentioned earlier where I have 3 players and he has none and he's up 6. It's the fairest way to do this IMO.
I like this solution the best. Not perfect but like it better than averages and certainly like it better than taking 0s.

Are you referring to stats for MLB or fantasy purposes? MLB picks up suspended games from where they left off (rule change during COVID).

Yahoo Fantasy baseball has this guideline for suspended games: “When a game is suspended, all player scoring up until the suspension is applied. The remainder of the game's scoring for all players will be applied retroactively once play resumes using stat corrections. Since stat corrections are only processed on Mondays, there may be a posting delay. Exception - In Head-to-head leagues corrections will only be processed if they apply to the most recently completed matchup.”
a rain out is not a suspended game

Rene, I couldn't agree more and maybe that is where I am off from others. I wish people would do the right thing but that's why we have police, right? Because we cannot trust that people will do the right thing and so then we have to do a little rough justice, it's not going to be 100% fair, life is not fair.

I'm not trying to ride a high horse, just stating human nature and the problems it presents.
The big issue is a lot of guys who Commish inherit the job because they want to keep playing and don't want the league to die...it would stand to reason they are the stronger FF Players and are now put in a compromising position and want to justify it, I do understand why but I still side with just a simple chop, vacate the Title if need be and bring everyone back in '23 with a smile

I didn't say anything about averaging points. My solution is to apply week 18 points for the Bills and Bengals players to week 17 if the game is cancelled. If it is replayed, then apply those points to week 17. end-of-sotry.

I still choose going with the actual stats but I could be down with that. Your solution is the best alternative to reality.

I’m so glad that our league wasn’t impacted by Mondays game. Championship game already decided Sunday evening as well as first and second place in total points. One team in our league would have required a consultation with a lawyer to work things out.

One league's website called all stats final, as if the game counted and those were the stats. We were lucky: No players from either team in the title game, and most other games were complete blowouts, so double their season high still wouldn't have completed a comeback. The only game it affected was a fifth-place game, so almost no affect at all. Again, lucky.

But if it did affect more-important games, I would expect the commissioner to step in and find a better solution. Some of these responses seem to be really lacking imo. No goals are being served by pretending those were legitimate final stats for a fantasy contest. There's nothing noble about saying everyone should throw up their hands, recognize (accurately) that there are more important issues at play, shrug our shoulders and just move on to the offseason. A commissioner needs to do better, or resign and let someone with stronger leadership skills take over.

Another wrinkle to answer now - say this game is replayed after all the week 18 games are played. Cincinnati plays and wins and thus locks up the division and are locked into whatever seed they are based on other games. They no longer have any real incentive to play their starters vs the Bills in what’s now “week 19.” Is an owner still “stuck” with Burrow or Mixon? What if, God forbid, one is hurt in week 18’s game?

Another wrinkle to answer now - say this game is replayed after all the week 18 games are played. Cincinnati plays and wins and thus locks up the division and are locked into whatever seed they are based on other games. They no longer have any real incentive to play their starters vs the Bills in what’s now “week 19.” Is an owner still “stuck” with Burrow or Mixon? What if, God forbid, one is hurt in week 18’s game?
Agree. That's why my leagues decided to go with week 18 stats for Bills/Bengals players instead of waiting for a potential week 19.

This is what I've decided to do in the league I commission and have sent this to my opponent (disclaimer: I was behind by 9 but had Allen, Mixon and Chase playing):

“I would like to declare the 2022 FCFFL Super Bowl a tie and that we both share the winnings equally. If the NFL does reschedule the Week 17 BUF/CIN game then we can use the results of that game added to our Week 17 scores and announce the winner as the SB Champion but still split the winnings regardless”

I am waiting for his reply

Crazy to try to rewrite this as a fantasy league now. Its a pretend game of stats, stats didn't happen. Im losing a third place game because of this with Diggs.
I pretty much agree with you, the only argument to this is if the game does end up getting replayed. Do you apply the stats then?

The big issue with this is something unfair may end up happening to one of the players involved before the replay even happens, which could also skew the result. If that happens in an unrelated game, it feels a little dirty to me.

This is the problem for a Commish when they try and right a wrong and try to play god with a situation. You have no control over what happens next and your fix may end up making it just as bad or worse. It would certainly suck for a player with a lead to have something happen to their players in between. Other things are weather conditions changing that may have affected lineup decisions, matchups, etc

There is no right answer, and there's no reason to make a decision now. My understanding is that this thread is just for throwing out ideas. It might help commissioners who will have a tough decision to make.

1. Anything the two teams in question agree upon is fine. They're the ones impacted; not the rest of the league.

2. Just an idea, you could choose your favorite DFS site and have the two managers field a lineup. The winner wins the championship, but you chop the pot. That way they both have a fair shot at doing research and choosing players they like for week 18. Obviously, this works best if there's no clear leader and one team isn't way behind with just a puncher's chance of coming back. It's akin to penalty shots in hockey to choose a winner, or penalty kicks in soccer. And it would make for interesting stories years from now about that crazy final.

3. Again, no reason to decide now. Obviously, the good news everybody wants to hear has nothing to do with fantasy football, or even football.
When do you make a decision? Do you wait until they decide if they play this game again?
What if one GM has Allen with a lead and the other has Burrow. Allen gets hurt week 18 and Burrow is the only one left standing in a makeup game?

I don't see putting off the decision as being any better here.
I just believe that hasty decisions are often poor ones. You could make a decision Friday, inform teams and they'd still have a day or so to absorb the decision. What's going to change? I don't know. But it gives more time to consider options and see what might work best.

For example (and this are just ideas which people might hate), you could decide that week 18 will decide the title, regardless of when or if the week 17 game is rescheduled. You could decide that Buffalo's and Cincinnati's first playoff game stats will count as substitute stats, since both teams will obviously going all out to win and hopefully at their best. You could use season averages. You have a number of options, and each one might serve a different league. My point is just that Tuesday (when I wrote that post) isn't the time to make that call. Take a couple days, consider all angles and do what you think is best for the league.

Why do you care so much what other leagues do?
I agree with this. I find it funny that people think there is a right or wrong answer here. It's unfortunate but there really is no "fair" result here, despite some people trying to claim it.

Honestly I have good people in my leagues I guess, because where the game was "in doubt" if not for Monday, all agreed to split the pot. One team that "won" 3rd place game because that game wasn't played even gave his opponent 2/3 of the prize money and only kept a 1/3 because the site gave his opponent a 70% chance to win heading into Monday night.

Rene, I couldn't agree more and maybe that is where I am off from others. I wish people would do the right thing but that's why we have police, right? Because we cannot trust that people will do the right thing and so then we have to do a little rough justice, it's not going to be 100% fair, life is not fair.

I'm not trying to ride a high horse, just stating human nature and the problems it presents.
The big issue is a lot of guys who Commish inherit the job because they want to keep playing and don't want the league to die...it would stand to reason they are the stronger FF Players and are now put in a compromising position and want to justify it, I do understand why but I still side with just a simple chop, vacate the Title if need be and bring everyone back in '23 with a smile

Not going to criticize your solution but I don't feel comfortable with a 50/50 chop when a team was 90% certain to win

This is what I've decided to do in the league I commission and have sent this to my opponent (disclaimer: I was behind by 9 but had Allen, Mixon and Chase playing):

“I would like to declare the 2022 FCFFL Super Bowl a tie and that we both share the winnings equally. If the NFL does reschedule the Week 17 BUF/CIN game then we can use the results of that game added to our Week 17 scores and announce the winner as the SB Champion but still split the winnings regardless”

This is very generous of you. Personally I'd concede if I was the other guy as there was pretty much no chance he was going to hold you off. Of course I mainly play in leagues with friends of over 30 years and if the 2nd place team didn't concede we'd never let that person live it down.

Back in 2020, with many players missing games due to COVID, we had to pivot when certain players were ruled out close to game time and we didn't assign zeros (GMs had designated backup players). Sometimes you have to adjust when unique situations happen. But again, every league is different and I don't think there's a one-size fits all situation. The league host sites obviously can only use what actual data there is, but we as leagues can adjust to what fits our needs.

Yeah but we had time to put rules in place to handle those situations for the 2020 Covid year. We didn't have designated backup players we just implemented 3 IR slots and have huge rosters. There were no "adjustments on the fly" like that imo. There are rules and you stick to them. Of course we have no rule in place and no precedent for what happened Monday... the only thing we can rely on is at some points in the past we simply said "we'll follow what Yahoo/NFL does" as far as scoring and that's that. It's either that or there is an agreement to chop.

Whatever works best for your league is great. For me, I don't care about the money as much as the title (I don't play in high-stakes leagues) and this doesn't provide any resolution. If there isn't much interest in having an actual winner, cool. I'd just be disappointed that there isn't a title to hand out.

Whatever works best for your league is great. For me, I don't care about the money as much as the title (I don't play in high-stakes leagues) and this doesn't provide any resolution. If there isn't much interest in having an actual winner, cool. I'd just be disappointed that there isn't a title to hand out.
Winning pot is $500. This is a league with friends and so I want to keep it light. I am leaving open the possibility of a single champion if they replay the BUF/CIN game but if not I think a Co-Champs is fine.

If the situation was reversed I would concede because there is little chance that I wouldn't have beaten him but I'm cool either way. We'll see what he says.

a rain out is not a suspended game
A rain out in the 4th inning is a suspended game. Link

ETA: Here’s an article about a game this year where game was suspended after three innings, and they played the next six innings the next day. Link

Last edited:

I think this is a fantastic addition to the chop-pot solution
I respect others who want to do it much differently
I just like simplicity and want the same folks back in my leagues next year
Well done!

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if things have changed that much since I followed baseball. It’s been a while.

Update from ESPN FF:

"Due to the circumstances of Monday's Bills vs Bengals game, ESPN Fantasy Football will officially score fantasy matchups for week 17 and week 18 (if applicable) only after the Bills vs Bengals game is ruled final (either after being played or cancelled). For scoring we will use the official NFL player statistics for the game. Points for Bills and Bengals players will remain as they appear until the game is played or cancelled and will be updated following that time. This may impact matchup results, league champions and final standings for your league. The current matchup period will be extended until Thursday to support this approach. Our thoughts continue to be with Damar Hamlin and his family."

I am the commish and I was winning the title game in two leagues before the game started and at the time the game was suspended I was still winning both leagues.

I’ve awarded myself both titles and claimed the funds, simple.

Real response

I won both titles with sizable lead and Burrow going. Opponent had Chase so no arguments as to who was going to win. Oddly both leagues had same scenario, Burrow vs opponent Chase.

3rd place league 1- one team was up 90, they are awarded the W

3Rd place league 2- teams agreed to 75/25 split based on projected finish.

I was lucky with most games not in doubt and losers conceded. Even the 75/25 teams were ok giving up more than they did

I was going to use week 18 for the same players if it was closer or if split not agreed

I'm surprised to hear so many comments about using average points, or points in other weeks, or "I was going to win", or "I was going to lose".

Go off of what is known, and that is it. Don't make any assumptions, don't grasp to pull points from other weeks or other sources.

IMO your only questions should be: will we use the points scored in the partial game even if it is never resumed, and will we wait for BUF/CIN to be completed and treat all stats as part of the week 17 totals.

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if things have changed that much since I followed baseball. It’s been a while.
He’s wrong. See my post a few above. MLB changed the rule during the 2020 season.

Here’s an article about game this year with exact fact pattern of game getting called by weather in 4th inning. Those three innings counted. Game resumed the next day to pick up where they left off.

By using week 18 stats for the Bills/Bengals players in the starting lineup you are using game stats that nobody knows yet. What problem is opened up by using these stats for their week 17 game?

It really is quite simple to use Week 18 stats for week 17 if the game is not resumed. Or use the game "19" stats if the game is resumed. You can make that designation right now so everyone knows what the steps will be and you get actual game played stats for the players in question. It's not skewed to averages or using a partial game stat that may not even be official.

What problems are created by this approach?

(I am asking because this is what we are doing and I cannot think of an issue by doing this)

Users who are viewing this thread