What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy draft bust of all time!!! (1 Viewer)

VTech rb Ryan Williams was another dynasty rookie pick derailed by injury. I know some posters said we should exclude injury as a bust label component. But wanted to add him as a "I wonder what he could have done...." post.

I know many are still holding out hope, but it won't be long before Josh Gordon is on this list. 

Just looking at past ADPs from FFC I see that in 2007 13 of the top 14 players were all RBs.  Willie Parker and Rudi Johnson were going in the top 10.  Parker finished in the top 20 RBs but at the bottom of it and Johnson barely made the top 50 RBs.  In 2008 Marion Barber was going towards the middle of the first round.  He finished as the 17th RB.  Could go through each year and find at least one or two guys.

Just looking at past ADPs from FFC I see that in 2007 13 of the top 14 players were all RBs.  Willie Parker and Rudi Johnson were going in the top 10.  Parker finished in the top 20 RBs but at the bottom of it and Johnson barely made the top 50 RBs.  In 2008 Marion Barber was going towards the middle of the first round.  He finished as the 17th RB.  Could go through each year and find at least one or two guys.
Yeah, but who hurt people the MOST?

Was looking at some lists and 2007 was a banner year. Pretty sure I had one redraft team with Larry Johnson and Rudi Johnson. Somehow I missed out on Vince Young for the one team trifecta of busts.
Didn't Larry Johnson lead the league in rushing?  Can't remember for sure but didn't Rudi Johnson have a big year too?

Didn't Larry Johnson lead the league in rushing?  Can't remember for sure but didn't Rudi Johnson have a big year too?
LJ (1,789 yds/17 TDs + 410 rec yds/2 TDs) led the league in rushing the season before, and Rudi was 4th (1389 yds/13 TDs + 124 rec yds). They both dropped off a cliff in 2007. LJ (559 yds/3Tds + 186 rec yds/1 TD) and Rudi (497 yds/3 Tds + 110 rec yds/1 TD)

LJ (1,789 yds/17 TDs + 410 rec yds/2 TDs) led the league in rushing the season before, and Rudi was 4th (1389 yds/13 TDs + 124 rec yds). They both dropped off a cliff in 2007. LJ (559 yds/3Tds + 186 rec yds/1 TD) and Rudi (497 yds/3 Tds + 110 rec yds/1 TD)
Not exactly busts when they probably won leagues for many fantasy players 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody won anything in 2007 because of Larry or Rudi Johnson. Maybe miraculously in spite of, but not because of.
I guess we're not communicating.  Anyone that's had the success those two have had and won leagues for so many, cannot be considered in an all-time fantasy bust list.

I guess we're not communicating.  Anyone that's had the success those two have had and won leagues for so many, cannot be considered in an all-time fantasy bust list.
Yup, thinking about it differently than you. I saw some other one season flops named in here too. For all time never did a damn thing, you have a good list. 

Spiller is up there for me and Wilson too, even though it is hard to fault him for the injury. I remember it was the year Leveon Bell came into the NFL and I had a good team and thought I was loaded at running back with Doug Martin, Spiller, Wilson, Lamar Miller, and Bell. So to become a great team, I trade Bell when he rumored to have Lis Franc and Miller because I liked the other 3 backs better. Got back Cobb and Blackmon. That one still stings.

Let's define our terms. The all-time fantasy bust is one who was drafted extremely highly (top three picks), who didn't get injured badly enough that you replaced him, and who you kept starting based on his reputation for at least half the season, even though you got crappy production out of him. 

2012 LeSean McCoy is a good candidate. 2005 Daunte Culpepper or 2002 Kurt Warner are possibilities at QB. 

Let's define our terms. The all-time fantasy bust is one who was drafted extremely highly (top three picks), who didn't get injured badly enough that you replaced him, and who you kept starting based on his reputation for at least half the season, even though you got crappy production out of him. 

2012 LeSean McCoy is a good candidate. 2005 Daunte Culpepper or 2002 Kurt Warner are possibilities at QB. 
I would think we're talking about players over the course of their career, nota partial season or even a season or two 

those are great examples of busts from last year.....just not sure they rank up there with the "all timers"....those guys while disappointing still put up some numbers...

an all timer pretty much has to be:

1. someone who wasn't injured

2. drastically under performed compared to previous year/s and did not even come close to their ADP
reposting this because of all the names being dropped of guys that were injured during their "bust" year......:Larry and Rudi fall into this category in 2007 as well as many of the others mentioned above including Beanie....

if you drafted a guy high based on previous performance and he gets hurt.....thats called fantasy bad luck....not fantasy bust

ghostguy123 said:
Yeah, but who hurt people the MOST?
Well, drafting Rudi Johnson 10th overall and him finishing in the 40s for RBs pretty much made him unusable that season.  I can't remember if he was hurt that season or not though.

I would think we're talking about players over the course of their career, nota partial season or even a season or two 
Well, that's why you have to define your terms; people are taking this question differently. You're talking about it from a dynasty perspective, I'm talking about it from redraft.

To think about the biggest dynasty bust, I'd think it'd be at the 1.01 in a startup dynasty who you kept starting for a while, and then hung on to for several years hoping he'd come through some day.

could be here all day if you take injuries into account in redraft....to me a fantasy bust meets the criteria I posted above and the reason for their bust was something like lack of motivation, getting arrested, suspended for drug use, locker room issues/benching, etc....something that was in their control and they just ended up sucking or drastically under performing their ADP...

then there is also the collateral damage of certain other injuries....ala Moss when Brady went down....Moss coming off a 23 TD year, probably the consensus #1 WR by a long shot and then he loses Brady and while he still had a WR1 type of season (#10), it probably wasn't nearly the ROI and advantage that owners were expecting, and the drop off might actually warrant bust potential since it put him near the end of the WR1's instead of at the top.....

In our salary cap dynasty league a longtime buddy joined our league in year 3. He was a huge Pats homer. In his first auction draft he put in an incredibly aggressive bid and way overpaid for Aaron Hernanadez. It may have worked out but a month later Hernandez was arrested. Very specific to my league but the biggest fantasy draft bust in our league's history as he never saw a snap after that massive contract.

For me, it almost has to be dynasty league related. One year redraft busts just aren't a big deal. 

Trent is #1 for me. He was 1.01 rookie, and after a decent enough rookie year, many startups had him at 1.01. You just can't completely blow the 1.01 in dynasty - it takes a lot to recover from that. 

Eddie Royal is another one - after that 90-catch rookie year, he was a 1st/2nd round startup pick. In fact, in one startup, I took Royal/1.01 (Crabtree) at the 1.12/2.1 turn That didn't work out too well.

Steve Slaton need a mention too. 

#FBOAT injuries happen every year and they always hurt. Crabtree was also a bust at 1st but was cheap because of his holdout

For me personally nothing will ever come close to Trent. Never invested more in a player in redraft and dynasty.
F'n TRich. My first ever dynasty startup happened early in the off-season after the 2012 season, and TRich was the first foundation player I ever drafted, taking him at 1.06. At least I found out early in my dynasty "career" what it was like to draft a colossal bust in the 1st round of a startup. I believe I ended up shipping him in a package deal to trade for an injured Julio later in '13, but he was still the personal biggest dynasty bust for me.

For me it was Cordarelle Patterson.  Most of that is on me, but in a dynasty startup, coming off his amazing end of his rookie season, I drafted him in the 3rd round...
In the same mold as Patterson, I'll add Justin Hunter to that list . He wasn't quite as hyped as Patterson heading in the '14 season, as I watched Patterson creep into the late 2nd round of startups due to owners reaching more and more so someone else didn't nab him. I saw plenty of Hunter in the 3rd/4th round that year though. Oh those former Volunteer WRs.

IDP

Trev Alberts

the Boz

Sean Gilbert

offense

Keyshawn Johnson, anyone?

BMW. bob griffin 3rd. J. Russell. Jake the fake Plummer. tatum bell of course. olandis gary? antowain smith. robt edwards. robt smith except 1 ,maybe two seasons. alvin harper, post dallas.renaldo nehemiah? 

browning nagle.dave brown giants qb. jermichael finley

maurice clarett. TIM TEBOW.

I've never played in a dynasty league, so I'll go with this definition. 

The first one who comes to mind is Todd Gurley last season. OUCH. 

Owned E. Smith once.  1997. Just a brutal year.  From start to finish.  The following two years he was great again.  His continued success for year's never ceased to piss me off.

I just really don't feel the horror stories from the dynasty guys talking about how their rookie picks "busted" really count as contenders for "fantasy football all time busts"....those guys hadn't done anything yet in the NFL.....Ryan leaf, Blair Thomas, Johnny football, etc  were not fantasy busts because they were never fantasy relevant to begin with....for dynasty purposes I think you have to limit it to guys like Trich who did perform at a high level and then basically disappeared (not due to injury).....

Have an irrational hatred for Tiki Barber. Think it was 2006 or 2007, he was coming off 2 very nice years, I had just been given pick 4 in my local redraft. I can recall being really aggravated to miss LT2 who went at pick 3. Little did I know of the pain that would follow, LT2 had his all-time great year, think he totalled 28 td's, he was even throwing td's. Tiki ended up with something like 2 td's all year, then in week 17 once playoffs were done, he lit up the Redskins with 3 td's when it no longer mattered. Hardly a bust but just simply missing that FF goodness by one pick, man did that year piss me off.

"True" busts - Trich, Willie Parker around 09', Shaun Alexander, Braylon Edwards

Redraft would be a tie between drinking the Kevan Barlow koolaid or Kurt Warner 2nd overall in '02.

Dynasty would be Ricky Williams for me, at least you could still deal TRich to believers for something of value after that poor year during which he was traded to Indy. If you were in an early draft in the preseason of '04 (which most dynasty leagues did draft early back then) you got royally screwed when Ricky failed a drug test for a 4 game suspension and then out of nowhere decided to retire early.

For me, in my superflex league, last year I took Cam with the 6th overall pick.  7th pick was David Johnson.  Ouch.   And in the 2nd round, we have a dope that doesn't know how to navigate the website....couldn't find Allen Robinson for whatever reason...takes AJ Green instead.  So the guy drafting right before me  (who would have taken AJ Green if he fell to him) snags Leveon Bell (to pair with DJ).  I ended up taking Gronk with my 2nd round pick.....double ouch.

Of course my buddy with DJ and Bell won the title.  I limped into the playoffs and lost in the 1st round.

Way back in the day I just HAD to have Ickey Woods the year after he was the bust out rookie sensation.  Dynasty.  Ooops.

Not sure if it was posted but Braylon Edwards was a monumental bust. Had the pedigree of being a stud at Michigan and a top 10 draft pick. He had the monster 3rd year breakout with 1200 and 16. It looked like he was going to be the next TO. His next season he had 877 and 3. Then over the next 4 years, he would play on 4 different teams 

The Michael Vick dogfighting thing came out of nowhere too. I don't think 1st round, but he was one of the first 3~4 QB's usually drafted because of the points with his legs. He was the first and only QB to ever rush for 1,000 yards and then the next offseason he was suspended and went to jail.

The Michael Vick dogfighting thing came out of nowhere too. I don't think 1st round, but he was one of the first 3~4 QB's usually drafted because of the points with his legs. He was the first and only QB to ever rush for 1,000 yards and then the next offseason he was suspended and went to jail.
Vick had already been a bust before the dog fighting. After 2012, there were fantasy writers calling for him to be the 1.01 in redraft. That was not a good call. 

David Boston.  maybe not an all time bust, but man, did he ever piss off some fantasy owners, for years.

This will sound odd, but Anquan Boldin. This guy has literally had every fantasy moniker possible. 

2003: Ultimate sleeper, rookie breakout as he finished as WR4 averaging 11.5 standard ppg

2004: Hugely hyped after the big rookie year but he busts. Only averages 6.7 ppg and gets hurt to miss the last 6 games. 

2005: Now that people are gunshy and he's falling in drafts, he comes back with 13 ppg and finishes as WR8 

2006: Once again he's being hyped and drafted very high, but again he disappoints. He only averages 9 ppg and is WR17

2007 and 2008 he averages 11.6 and 14.2 and is a premier NFL WR 

2009: Busts again averaging 8ppg 

Vick had already been a bust before the dog fighting. After 2012, there were fantasy writers calling for him to be the 1.01 in redraft. That was not a good call. 
Might depend on your scoring system here, he was a QB1 in my leagues every year prior to the dogfighting other than his rookie year when he didn't start and the year he broke his leg.

Might depend on your scoring system here, he was a QB1 in my leagues every year prior to the dogfighting other than his rookie year when he didn't start and the year he broke his leg.
Yeah, he was a solid QB those years. In dynasty, I am sure it would have been disappointing to lose him randomly like that. However, I consider his big bust being the year he was being hyped as a 1st round or even as the 1st pick for redraft. 

Users who are viewing this thread