What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fans to walk out in Detroit?! (1 Viewer)

kaso

Footballguy
Has anybody heard anything more about this? A buddy just sent me this link:

Detroit Article w/ a GREAT picture

Looks like the Lions fans are planning on making their feelings known. I might have to tune into the game that day just to see how the networks and teams handle it.

Having even 30-40% of the fan base walk out would be noticable. Wonder what the Lions organization thinks about this?

Also, I love the "Matt Millen Fan Club" in the background of that picture! :bowtie:

What a pathetic situation that is. I can't believe they've kept that guy around for this long. Is there any chance at all that he comes back next year?

Interesting way to protest. As a football fan though, I think I'd like to stick around to watch the Bears at any rate. Couldn't they have done this at the Minnesota game?

:goodposting:

Sure there is a chance Millen will be back. As long as Wiliam Clay Ford is the owner. You have to remember they tired to get Millen to take the GM job for over two years, without all knowledge of how to be a GM.

Looks like the Lions fans are planning on making their feelings known. I might have to tune into the game that day just to see how the networks and teams handle it.

Having even 30-40% of the fan base walk out would be noticable. Wonder what the Lions organization thinks about this?

Also, I love the "Matt Millen Fan Club" in the background of that picture! :thumbup:
How about NOT purchasing a ticket, I'd think that'll get their attention more than purchasing a ticket and walking out. Hello they still have your money!

Michael David Smith from Pro Football Prospectus (a Lions fan) is not optimistic that Millen will be sent packing:

FireMillen (Detroit): How much longer do you think Matt Millen has as president of the Lions?

Michael David Smith: Sadly, I think William Clay Ford will keep Millen around. Ford just likes Millen more than he likes having a winning football team. It's that simple. He thinks Millen is a cool guy to sit around and talk football with, and that's enough for him to keep Millen in the job. I think the only hope Lions fans have is Millen getting so embarrassed by his consistently terrible teams that he finally just quits.

birkem3 (Dayton): Why do I get the feeling you're going to give up being a fan of the Lions a la Will Carroll and the Cubs?

Michael David Smith: It's hard being a Lions fan. I have watched a lot less of the Lions this year than I have in any year since the advent of DirecTV Sunday Ticket made it possible to watch your favorite team every week. As long as Millen is there, I don't think any Lions fan can really feel passionate about the team.
Full transcript at http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=249

This thread has turned out to be a bit of a FFA tradition. Every year around this time we see this same thread.

:unsure:

Also, I love the "Matt Millen Fan Club" in the background of that picture! :mellow:
How about NOT purchasing a ticket, I'd think that'll get their attention more than purchasing a ticket and walking out. Hello they still have your money!
Trust me, when the stadium is empty, that gets the owner's attention. An empty stadium means millions of dollars in lost revenues because of concession sales that aren't made. You are most definitely hitting him in the pocketbook.

This thread has turned out to be a bit of a FFA tradition. Every year around this time we see this same thread. :unsure:
:bag: Seen this type of thread a few times.I like Bix Tex's comments. If the fans want to make a statement, stop buying tickets.

Also, I love the "Matt Millen Fan Club" in the background of that picture! :unsure:
Trust me, when the stadium is empty, that gets the owner's attention. An empty stadium means millions of dollars in lost revenues because of concession sales that aren't made. You are most definitely hitting him in the pocketbook.
It's also an embarrassing public spectacle, which hurts just as much. Not showing up is not something that's nearly as compelling to show on TV.

If William Ford Clay likes Millen so much, why doesn't he just remove him from the Pres/GM post into a Consultant role like Charles Wang did with the Islanders and Mike Milbury (thank God).

Here is a shocking stat:

The Lions would have to win 48 games IN A ROW for Millen to be .500.

Think about that.

If the fans really want to make a statement, why not bum rush Millen's stadium suite and drag his ### out?

I'll donate bail money to see it.

I am sure when the Lions fans walk out and the only fans that are left are Bears fans, that will send a message. Being a San Diego fan since I was 8 years old, San Diego is just now establishing a home field advantage. For years visiting fans would be able to buy tickets and essentially makle it sound like a home game. I am sure the owners hated looking around the stadium and seeing more visiting jerseys and colors than their own team.

Empty seats and lots of Bears fans cheering will get the attention of the owners for sure. Whether they do anything about it, that is their problem.

Does Millen have compromising pics of Ford with farm animals? For the life of me I can't understand why Millen is still the GM. In Ford's eyes, what has Millen done to justify his position?

Does Millen have compromising pics of Ford with farm animals? For the life of me I can't understand why Millen is still the GM. In Ford's eyes, what has Millen done to justify his position?
That's what I was saying in another thread. Ford and Millen might be all chummy, but Millen has GOT to have something BAD BAD BAD on Ford for him to be kept around after the absolute worst stretch of losing I think I've ever seen.I agree with pretty much everyone. Make a statement, Lions fans. If I were up in Detroit, I wouldn't have bothered buying tickets, but if I had some, I'd be sorely tempted to walk out, too. The whole organization needs an enema...

This is pointless. The only 'statement' that the Lions organization will understand is if people stop coming to the games and give up the season tickets. Do this, and the Lions fans will have someone attention, I guarantee it.

BigTex said:
Because most tickets (and all good tickets) are sold in season ticket form, and it takes years and sometimes decades to get those good seats. You can't choose which games you buy, you buy all 10 games, and the right for playoff tickets (not usually a concern for the Lions, but you never know). Factor in the thousands of dollars spent on PSLs and you have quite an investment tied up in football to just throw away because Millen is an idiot.

W1cked said:
Sure there is a chance Millen will be back. As long as Wiliam Clay Ford is the owner. You have to remember they tired to get Millen to take the GM job for over two years, without all knowledge of how to be a GM.
Millen runs the Lions about as well as the Fords are running Ford

Millen, the Lions the whole fiasco is just a joke. Hard to think that two of the charter franchise teams in the NFL (the Bears and the Packers) have to share this division with a pathetic franchise that is the Detroit Lions. Just BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The big problem with firing Millen this offseason is the issue of the head coach. Marinelli is a rookie HC, and whatever doubts may exist about his performance and ability, he hasn't really been given a chance.

When you hire a GM, you usually give him the right to hire his own HC. If you plan on hiring a GM with the stipulation that he can't fire Marinelli, Marinelli will become much more powerful within the organization.

Alternatively, you swallow hard, fire everyone, and start with a new GM. But you better get someone with real credibility. I'm not so up on the GM prospects out there, or the HC/GM possibilities, but I'm not sure that there's anyone with a high enough profile who wants the job.

I think it is quite possible that Millen and Marinelli get one more season, but if I were a Lions fan, I would be fed up. Sunday Ticket and watching some other favorite team is a cheaper and more satisfying option than season tickets to the crap-o-rama that is Detroit football.

Side note: Marinelli sucks too.

A lot of people here think we should blow the whole thing up and start over. I tend to agree.

I live in Lion country (Bronco fan) and admire the fans for being devout.

I kid my son-in-law by buying Bronco gear for his infant son.

I tell him I am worried about his 'sports psyche' development and that he needs an winning team to root for. (Its not like I am buying Packer gear)

He is finally agreeing, which is a big step for him, he is diehard.

I think his next step will be attending a meeting where the first thing he says is "Hi, my name is **** and I am a Lions fan."

The Fords should be ashamed for how they have treated such a loyal fan base but the fans should wake up to the fact that they are co-dependants and enablers.

I love the walkout idea, but I dont think it will work. There needs to be some kind of intervention.

I was a psyche major and even took a sports psyche class so I know what I am talking about :thumbup:

"Some of the things we are doing on the field we are not doing on purpose,"

:nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:
Williams, however, is not one of them, and he laughed about the protest."I don't think I would pay $60 to watch less than a half of a football game and then walk out," Williams said.
Um Roy...the pay $60 every week for less then a half of football. Actually there best chance to watch football would be at the local sports bar with satellite.

They wouldnt have to walk out if they never went in. Empty stands would be a statment. Why anyone would buy tickets for this team baffles me. Its the worst organazation at any level in any sport.

I just told my daughters..It won`t be in my lifetime, but I hope maybe in your life the Lions will be a winner.

The Lions have the most faithful fans in the country. Sell out 80K at the SilverDome week and and week out..sell out Ford Field every week.

You see teams like the Steeler win..play some 500 football then win again. Same with almost every team in the NFL.

:) :cry: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Wait. Doesn't this happen every home game anyway? When they start to get blown out don't the fans start to leave early anyway?

So now Matt Millen is supposed to assume ... supposed to know that they are walking out in protest instead of walking out in disgust?

I just think Ford's loyal to a fault with his employees. Exhibit A: Russ Thomas, the Lions' GM from 1967 through 1989. The Lions played, and lost 3 playoff games in those 32 years.

That's what I was saying in another thread. Ford and Millen might be all chummy, but Millen has GOT to have something BAD BAD BAD on Ford for him to be kept around after the absolute worst stretch of losing I think I've ever seen.
These posts assume Ford cares about winning. I've yet to see any evidence that this is the case.

I know it's easy and fun to bash Millen, but can you guys point to some specific issues you've had with him?

The Sims pick has been excellent this year. Everyone thought the Mike Williams pick was going to be great, and he was number 1 on Mel Kiper's board. Say what you want about 3 receivers, but at that point the Lions knew Rogers was done.

The Roy Williams pick surely wasn't a bad one. The Charles Rogers pick wasn't a bad pick either, but he was a bust. No one thought Rogers would be a bust. Is it Millen's fault that he didn't work out?

Bringing in Martz was a great move, I thought. Marinelli seemed like a pretty good hire too. Cutting bait with Harrington was smart, and Kitna had been pretty succesful recently. The Kevin Jones draft pick was pretty good too.

When I look back on the Millen era, I see lots of moves that people praised. Nearly none of them worked out, but is that the GM's fault? If Millen traded the number 1 pick in the draft this year for Tom Brady, and Brady went to Detroit and was terrible while Brady Quinn was going to Pro Bowls with the Patriots, would that be a bad trade by Millen?

When you line up all their picks - KJ, Roy, Rogers, Sims, Williams, Williams...and his coaching moves....Mooch, Martz, Marinelli...I think all of them were pretty good. None of the moves reached their potential, but I dunno if that's the GM's fault.

I'd be much more apt to blame the GM that spent a 2nd round pick on Quincy Carter, gave Drew Brees and his torn shoulder $10M Daunte Culpepper a big contract, or traded a 2nd round pick for a backup QB on the Eagles. Every GM has had some bad moves, so what moves can you point to that Millen made that you criticized immediately?

Every GM has had some bad moves, so what moves can you point to that Millen made that you criticized immediately?
There have been plenty of Millen moves I didn't like at the time. Drafting Mike Williams, signing Hakim and Schroeder, making Jeff Backus a franchise player. There have also been moves I didn't know enough about to form a decisive opinion on that in hindsight look like big errors by Millen. He gave Fernando Bryant a huge contract. Jacksonville fans said he sucked. I thought maybe it was sour grapes, but they were right. Bryant does suck.But what I thought of a pick or a signing at the time really doesn't mean anything. Who am I to judge? I'm just a fan. Isn't it the job of a GM to know a little more than the fans or than Mel Kiper?There will always be unforeseen busts, and maybe Millen has had some bad luck with some guys that anyone in his spot would have taken. But Millen has done more than just draft a few receivers and have them not work out. He's been responsible for every Lions personnel decision the past six years. Hundreds of moves - some major, some minor, all adding up to year after year of awful football. Not just bad football, awful football.Joe Dumars is personally responsible for the Pistons drafting Rodney White and Darko Milicic, two of the worst NBA lottery pick busts in recent memory. In a sport where one player is far more important than in football. That didn't stop him from building a winner.We could give Millen a couple mulligans here and there on some of those high picks. If the team was even approaching mediocrity, I might be sympathetic. But this is six years of his every move adding up to abject futility. I could probably go through the painstaking process of digging up all the old salary data and evaluating move-by-move what went right and wrong in the Millen Era... but at 23-71, is that really necessary? I know what the conclusion would be.

I know it's easy and fun to bash Millen, but can you guys point to some specific issues you've had with him?

The Sims pick has been excellent this year. Everyone thought the Mike Williams pick was going to be great, and he was number 1 on Mel Kiper's board. Say what you want about 3 receivers, but at that point the Lions knew Rogers was done.

The Roy Williams pick surely wasn't a bad one. The Charles Rogers pick wasn't a bad pick either, but he was a bust. No one thought Rogers would be a bust. Is it Millen's fault that he didn't work out?

Bringing in Martz was a great move, I thought. Marinelli seemed like a pretty good hire too. Cutting bait with Harrington was smart, and Kitna had been pretty succesful recently. The Kevin Jones draft pick was pretty good too.

When I look back on the Millen era, I see lots of moves that people praised. Nearly none of them worked out, but is that the GM's fault? If Millen traded the number 1 pick in the draft this year for Tom Brady, and Brady went to Detroit and was terrible while Brady Quinn was going to Pro Bowls with the Patriots, would that be a bad trade by Millen?

When you line up all their picks - KJ, Roy, Rogers, Sims, Williams, Williams...and his coaching moves....Mooch, Martz, Marinelli...I think all of them were pretty good. None of the moves reached their potential, but I dunno if that's the GM's fault.

I'd be much more apt to blame the GM that spent a 2nd round pick on Quincy Carter, gave Drew Brees and his torn shoulder $10M Daunte Culpepper a big contract, or traded a 2nd round pick for a backup QB on the Eagles. Every GM has had some bad moves, so what moves can you point to that Millen made that you criticized immediately?
Ill bite(in no particular order and off the top of my head):Making Jeff Backus one of the top 5-7 paid OTs in the game this offseason:

Lions signed T Jeff Backus to a six-year contract worth nearly $40 million, including $16 million guaranteed.
Signing Az-Zahir Hakim to a large contract to be their #2 WR in 2002. One of my favorite quotes over from Fantasy Football Index from the summer of 2002: "I wish I could buy stock in things like 'the lions will regret paying Hakim $16million over 5 years." EDIT: This may have been pre-Millen
...five-year, $16 million contract, which included a $5.25 million signing bonus
Signing Fernando Bryant to a ridiculous contract:
Fernando Bryant has agreed to a 6-year deal with the Detroit Lions.

The deal is worth $24 million, and includes a $7.25 million signing bonus.
Making Rick Demulling the 6th highest paid player on the team THIS offseason. This is the Rick Demulling who has struggled to keep a backup job
His base salary of more than $3 million this year makes him the Lions' highest-paid lineman and the sixth-highest-paid player on the team.
Paying Josh McCown $4mil this year to be a backup WR who'll be cut in the offseason
McCown, 26, signed a two-year contract worth $6 million, a deal that will pay him $4 million in 2006 between his signing bonus and base salary.
Paying Kalimba Edwards huge money this offseason to be a backup DE
Defensvie end Kalimba Edwards has re-signed with the Detroit Lions for five years and $20 million, with $8 million in guarantees.
Then...there two horrible drafts(all are really horrible, but these two stand out):The 2002 draft from which one(horribly overpaid) player remains on the team:

1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon 2 35 Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina 3 68 Andre' Goodman CB South Carolina 4 134 John Taylor DE Montana State 5 138 John Owens TE Notre Dame 6 175 Chris Cash CB Southern California 7 214 Luke Staley RB Brigham Young 7 252 Matt Murphy TE Maryland 7 259 Victor Rogers T ColoradoThe 2003 draft from which 2(but effectively one) player remains on the team:
Code:
1 2 Charles Rogers WR Michigan State 2 34 Boss Bailey OLB Georgia 3 66 Cory Redding DE Texas 4 99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky 5 137 Terrence Holt FS North Carolina State 5 144 James Davis OLB West Virginia 6 175 David Kircus WR Grand Valley State 7 216 Ben Johnson T Wisconsin 7 220 Blue Adams CB Cincinnati 7 236 Brandon Drumm RB Colorado 7 260 Travis Anglin WR Memphis
Certainly not an all-encompassing list, but a good starter list. One or more of these could be wrong. Its late and Ive been drinking.

Certainly not an all-encompassing list, but a good starter list. One or more of these could be wrong. Its late and Ive been drinking.
After that litany of stupidity from Millen it is no wonder...

Don't forget trading a 4th round pick for Detmer and letting our best lineman in years (Jeff Hartings) go because he got in a pissing match about the contract.

It's easy because he has been really bad. The picks that you are talking about are pretty much no brainers. I don't think 1st round picks are where you make or break your team. And even if he knew that Rogers was done 3 WR 1st round picks is not a good Idea for a team with so many needs. (even thought I was very high on Mike Williams I did not see it as a good pick for the Lions)

I don't think Millen is a moron, but he has had ample time to show if he has what it takes to be a GM and the record speaks for itself.

I think Millen should be fired. I do think he and Marinelli get one more year.....and I really don't think that will make any difference. They are just a bad football team!!

Edit to ask....Can Ford be fired?????? ;)

Side note: Marinelli sucks too. A lot of people here think we should blow the whole thing up and start over. I tend to agree.
I like this idea. Lions elminate the entire front office and coaching staff, Da Bears DC Rivera takes a HC job wherever and Lovie get the DC he's always wanted, Marinelli. Purrrfect....

Bottom line, he failed to turn this team around. In fact, he's made them even worse.It's all about winning football games and making the playoffs, no? Something Matt has yet to put on his resume as GM.The Lions finished 9-7 in 2000. Millen took over the next season. The Lions have been the losingest team in the NFL during Millen's tenure.Ford, Millen and Jason Hansen are the only constants over this timeframe. The same timeframe we've seen teams like Cincinati, Chicago, Jacksonville, New England, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas and Carolina turn things around. What have the Lions done? Their best season was 6 wins. They've finished better then Houston just one season. Pathetic.

Users who are viewing this thread