What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family Weekend Getaway Ideas (1 Viewer)

Peak

Footballguy
Due to work, I had to cancel our family beach vacation this year.  I feel bad, and even tried to get the wife to take her sister with her and the kids on the trip.  Regardless, it didn't happen.  Now kids and wife are bummed.  I'm able to take off a Friday and Monday for a long weekend and was thinking of using that to salvage the missed trip.  I'm open to ideas.  I'd like to drive about 5-6 hrs so we're not spending two of the four days in a car.  We're in Cincy - so was thinking of Lake Cumberland, Pigeon Forge, Cedar Point, St. Louis, or something along those lines.  My wife brought up NY, but thats more than I want to drive at this point, although I think the kids would like it (2 teens, 1 pre-teen).

Any good places out there that are not the mainstream places to go?  I'd be fine with a lake, renting jet skis or a boat, and hanging out all weekend.  Doesn't have to be a big touristy thing, but I would like to make sure the kids have fun.  

I mentioned Nemacolin and the Laurel Highlands region of PA in the small towns thread that I started.  Big resort with lots of activities.  No lake, but near Ohiopyle State Park with white water rafting and kayaking.  Also near some other attractions like Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater.

I had a great long weekend on Dale Hollow Lake about 20 years ago.  great boating.  on the Kentucky/Tennessee border

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin Dells might be an option. It's probably 7-8 hours from Cincy, but you could break it up with a night stay in Chicago. The Dells is the water park capital of the world, which is guaranteed to be a hit with the kids. It also has really great lakes and the Wisconsin river with many different kinds of boat tours. Tons and tons there to do with the family, especially during the summer. 

What's funny is my family is in the same situation and we are thinking of driving down to Cincy to hit Kings Island and Hocking Hills mid week. 

We will be coming from metro Detroit. 

**Speaking of....any tips for visiting the area? We are staying at the Great Wolf Lodge that has a path to Kings Island. I believe that is a 2 hour drive to Hocking Hills. Can that be done in a day?? Thanks

https://www.doorcounty.com/

Door county is a great place to visit in the summer for a quiet getaway.

https://www.minocqua.org/

Many awesome lakes up here.  Minocqua area has tons of places to rent cabins, boats, jet skis etc...

If your family likes the bigger city and more action then I'd suggest a weekend in Chicago.  Navy Pier, The Shed, Field museum plus a Cubs or White Sox game amongst many other things.  Great food too.

Nashville?  Chicago?  St. Louis?  

You have a lot of options.  

I really liked Nashville when I went a couple years ago (even though I'm not a country music fan).  There are plenty of threads here in the FFA to do some research on Nashville.

Peak said:
I'd be fine with a lake, renting jet skis or a boat, and hanging out all weekend.  
Friday at Cedar Point then drive up to Geneva-on-the-Lake and do this Saturday and Sunday. Not enough to do in the town to hang out for a week, but 2-3 days? Hell yeah, especially if you and the Mrs. are okay with splitting for a bit and leaving the kids to entertain themselves.

What's funny is my family is in the same situation and we are thinking of driving down to Cincy to hit Kings Island and Hocking Hills mid week. 

We will be coming from metro Detroit. 

**Speaking of....any tips for visiting the area? We are staying at the Great Wolf Lodge that has a path to Kings Island. I believe that is a 2 hour drive to Hocking Hills. Can that be done in a day?? Thanks
If you like hiking and nature, you'll love Hocking Hills.  We've been to Old Man's Cave and Ash Cave.  I could rent a cabin there and just hang out in that area for a weekend.  Quiet, peaceful and plenty of nature/wildlife to see.  My kids liked it, but we went more when they were younger.  There's a neat pool at the base of a waterfall that the kids can play/swim.  Pretty neat area.

We live right by KI, so we are there multiple times every summer.  Also been to that Great Wolf Lodge, usually in the winter.  You can easily spend a day at both places.  KI has a few good rides the family likes.  Lately the weather has been very nice, so the crowds have picked up.  Expect some wait time at the park.  I like going on Tues, Wed, or Thurs, as the lines aren't typically that bad.  Most tourists don't start ascending on KI until Friday.  I'd look at spending Wed or Thurs at KI, then the following day at Great Wolf just to relax and unwind.  

Have fun!

Nashville?  Chicago?  St. Louis?
We just did a trip to Nashville for a baseball tournament.  Really enjoyed it, but the wife wants to go somewhere new.  Chicago is part of a family vacation scheduled for next year with a larger group.  St. Louis is definitely an option.  That's one I need to look into more.   :thumbup:

Friday at Cedar Point then drive up to Geneva-on-the-Lake and do this Saturday and Sunday. Not enough to do in the town to hang out for a week, but 2-3 days? Hell yeah, especially if you and the Mrs. are okay with splitting for a bit and leaving the kids to entertain themselves.
This is in consideration.  I wanted to schedule a quick trip to an Indians game, but their out of town that weekend.  :kicksrock:

If you like hiking and nature, you'll love Hocking Hills.  We've been to Old Man's Cave and Ash Cave.  I could rent a cabin there and just hang out in that area for a weekend.  Quiet, peaceful and plenty of nature/wildlife to see.  My kids liked it, but we went more when they were younger.  There's a neat pool at the base of a waterfall that the kids can play/swim.  Pretty neat area.

We live right by KI, so we are there multiple times every summer.  Also been to that Great Wolf Lodge, usually in the winter.  You can easily spend a day at both places.  KI has a few good rides the family likes.  Lately the weather has been very nice, so the crowds have picked up.  Expect some wait time at the park.  I like going on Tues, Wed, or Thurs, as the lines aren't typically that bad.  Most tourists don't start ascending on KI until Friday.  I'd look at spending Wed or Thurs at KI, then the following day at Great Wolf just to relax and unwind.  

Have fun!
I sent you a PM if you don't mind. Thanks

Hi there.  I would suggest skipping the idea of Pigeon Forge/Smoky unless you specifically want to do the aquarium, museum, Dixie Stampede, etc.  The area is just dripping tourist trap these days and not in a good way.  I have lived in Ky for several years and now live in North Carolina (Ironically enough, my property is a cabin in the middle of nowhere sitting on top of a lake next to the Cherokee National Forest so maybe I just see TOO MUCH SMOKY).  

Anyway, for a nice long weekend with wife and kids (and it sounding like you're okay with some "non-city/fast paced" atmosphere), my first thought is Asheville, NC, home of the Biltmore estate. It is a great getaway for a few days that people are very hard pressed to find fault with.  It also isn't super expensive if you don't want it to be and I guarantee if anyone in your household is interested in Amercian history or nature, they will love it.  

Do you have passports? You could go to Niagra falls area and Canada in about 7 hours from Ohio
I do, but the family doesn't.  Considered Niagra, but I've heard only the CAN side is worth seeing.  I'm kinda bummed about that, as I thought that would be a fun weekend trip.

Hi there.  I would suggest skipping the idea of Pigeon Forge/Smoky unless you specifically want to do the aquarium, museum, Dixie Stampede, etc.  The area is just dripping tourist trap these days and not in a good way.  I have lived in Ky for several years and now live in North Carolina (Ironically enough, my property is a cabin in the middle of nowhere sitting on top of a lake next to the Cherokee National Forest so maybe I just see TOO MUCH SMOKY).  

Anyway, for a nice long weekend with wife and kids (and it sounding like you're okay with some "non-city/fast paced" atmosphere), my first thought is Asheville, NC, home of the Biltmore estate. It is a great getaway for a few days that people are very hard pressed to find fault with.  It also isn't super expensive if you don't want it to be and I guarantee if anyone in your household is interested in Amercian history or nature, they will love it.  
This sounds like a typical tourist. I can't believe how many people talk about the aquarium, Dixie Stampede, etc. There is one thing that you overlooked.....the most visited national park in the country! No you don't skip going there. It's beautiful. You can, however, skip the tourist trap Shutout references. 

This sounds like a typical tourist. I can't believe how many people talk about the aquarium, Dixie Stampede, etc. There is one thing that you overlooked.....the most visited national park in the country! No you don't skip going there. It's beautiful. You can, however, skip the tourist trap Shutout references. 
It's been too long, but - rent a cabin somewhere > 1 mile outside of Gatlinburg. Morning relaxation of an undefined time amidst the wilderness, spend the day doing something outdoors, go home and clean yourself up, go to Gatlinburg to feast/drink (daytime riff raff has now mostly departed), then back to the cabin for night cap(s).  Repeat however many days you're there. Did that 3x between ages 22 and 27 and look forward to the day in which my kids are old enough for us all to enjoy a trip like that. It isn't a late summer thing though. Too hot. I've also read the sweet spot of Fall is too congested.

I do, but the family doesn't.  Considered Niagra, but I've heard only the CAN side is worth seeing.  I'm kinda bummed about that, as I thought that would be a fun weekend trip.
Yes - really need to visit the Canadian side.

Of the recommendations I've seen - Western Michigan would be my call. Find something around Whitehall Lake up to Ludington. Hit the sand dunes for the kids.

This is in consideration.  I wanted to schedule a quick trip to an Indians game, but their out of town that weekend.  :kicksrock:
I was going to suggest trying to find a stadium you haven't been to and see if they are in town for the weekend and go to a series.  We did that a few years ago and just had a baseball weekend to KC (flew out from California).  It was awesome.  Of course your family has to like going to baseball games and different stadiums for that to work though.  

We just did a trip to Nashville for a baseball tournament.  Really enjoyed it, but the wife wants to go somewhere new.  Chicago is part of a family vacation scheduled for next year with a larger group.  St. Louis is definitely an option.  That's one I need to look into more.   :thumbup:
How old are the kids?

St. Louis is actually a great spot to come with plenty to do. And most of it is cheap or completely free.

Feel free to PM and I'd be happy to send some ideas over. 

Just a quick list:

--St Louis Zoo (ranked #1 in the country now)

--City Museum

--Forest Park with the Science Center, St Louis Art Museum, History Museum, Planetarium

--Botanical Gardens (they are awesome)

--St Louis Basilica (look it up.... It's amazing)

--Cards game at Busch

--Outdoor show at the Muny in the evening

--Six Flags (if into that)

--The Arch and downtown area

And plenty of places to eat with good food here.

Just a quick list:

--St Louis Zoo (ranked #1 in the country now)

--City Museum

--Forest Park with the Science Center, St Louis Art Museum, History Museum, Planetarium

--Botanical Gardens (they are awesome)

--St Louis Basilica (look it up.... It's amazing)

--Cards game at Busch

--Outdoor show at the Muny in the evening

--Six Flags (if into that)

--The Arch and downtown area

And plenty of places to eat with good food here.
Cahokia Mounds around there always looked theoretically cool to me, and a draw to visiting St. Louis.  Never been out that way though.

Do you have passports? You could go to Niagra falls area and Canada in about 7 hours from Ohio
Everytime we go across the border to Canada, I've only needed my drivers license and my birth certificate, and birth certificates for the kids. 

My wife has a passport she uses, but I don't have one.  

Everytime we go across the border to Canada, I've only needed my drivers license and my birth certificate, and birth certificates for the kids. 

My wife has a passport she uses, but I don't have one.  
Interesting.  I considered parking in US and walking across the Rainbow Bridge, but heard they checked passports too.  I'll need to look into this further....

Interesting.  I considered parking in US and walking across the Rainbow Bridge, but heard they checked passports too.  I'll need to look into this further....
Looks like you may need the enhanced drivers license.  That's what I have, so that's probably it.  Otherwise you would need a passport. 

Well, keep in mind, I literally live in the national forest and the Smokies and blue ridge mountains are my northern and souther mountain range view every day so I am sure, to  degree, I take for granted, the beautiful nature that a lot of people don't get to see each day.  But with that being said, you have to realize that when people are raving about the beautiful nature and Clingman's dome and Cade's cove, etc, etc, and talking about it like its the most breathtaking thing in the world, it is quite honestly just a dime-a-dozen site to see when you live in the area and can see the true, unspoiled, untreated sites that don't have areas carved out for humans and signs everywhere and trinket shops posted at either end.  

So, point taken, but also, caution to be realistic.

Peak said:
Due to work, I had to cancel our family beach vacation this year.  I feel bad, and even tried to get the wife to take her sister with her and the kids on the trip.  Regardless, it didn't happen.  Now kids and wife are bummed.  I'm able to take off a Friday and Monday for a long weekend and was thinking of using that to salvage the missed trip.  I'm open to ideas.  I'd like to drive about 5-6 hrs so we're not spending two of the four days in a car.  We're in Cincy - so was thinking of Lake Cumberland, Pigeon Forge, Cedar Point, St. Louis, or something along those lines.  My wife brought up NY, but thats more than I want to drive at this point, although I think the kids would like it (2 teens, 1 pre-teen).

Any good places out there that are not the mainstream places to go?  I'd be fine with a lake, renting jet skis or a boat, and hanging out all weekend.  Doesn't have to be a big touristy thing, but I would like to make sure the kids have fun.  
Saugatuck, MI  or Sleeping Bear Dunes if you can make it a couple extra hours.

Users who are viewing this thread