What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family trip to Europe - looking for advice/help (1 Viewer)

The Ref

Footballguy
Looking to throw a big changeup at the wife and kid this Christmas.  We live in Florida and the first two-three weeks of August we usually pack up and visit family in Boston.  Well instead of going to New England I'd like to take them to Old England.

Some facts:

Me, wife and 9 Year old daughter

looking to do ~17 days preferably two different countries/cities

Want to try and keep it to $4K for airfare/transportation and hotel.... understand will be much more when we get there.

Looks like Paris "has to" be one of the legs of the trip, airfare to every European city from Miami is $1K plus pp but Paris is "only" $550pp.

initial thought is to take the Chunnel over (under?) to London for the second half of the trip.  $100pp round trip?

Any feedback/thoughts/advice is much appreciated 

Is there a particular reason you want to visit London? I think there are much better places to see in Europe. IMO 17 days in just 2 cities is more than you need. You could see a few more places. What are you looking for? Food? Art? History? Shopping? 

Can't go wrong with London and Paris. For touristy stuff in London my favorite was Tower of London. Paris just walking around the city is amazing. Ice cream at Berthillon, sitting outside at a cafe, all awesome.

Rick Steves is cheesy but is a good guide book for both places with good concise advice.

Enjoyed walking tours in both cities, there are plenty to chose from that are geared to what you are interested in.

Can't go wrong with London and Paris. For touristy stuff in London my favorite was Tower of London. Paris just walking around the city is amazing. Ice cream at Berthillon, sitting outside at a cafe, all awesome.

Rick Steves is cheesy but is a good guide book for both places with good concise advice.

Enjoyed walking tours in both cities, there are plenty to chose from that are geared to what you are interested in.
Good point. For a traditional Euro vacation with the family, Rick Steves will give you a lot of great advice. 

So 3 flights from Florida to London in August?

Wouldn't that run about 4k alone, let alone hotel and transportation forn17 days?

I know flights to Portugal from NJ in August can run $1300- $1500 each. 

Is there a particular reason you want to visit London? I think there are much better places to see in Europe. IMO 17 days in just 2 cities is more than you need. You could see a few more places. What are you looking for? Food? Art? History? Shopping? 
Seems like the Chunnel is about as convenient/afdordabe as it would get to move from one country to the next plus it's a story in its self.

i don't think I'd be interested in doing a third city but I'm open to it.   What would you recommend seeing as Paris is more or less locked in as one of the stops?  Dublin?  Barcelona?

Educational trip with my youngest that won't completely bore her to tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
So 3 flights from Florida to London in August?

Wouldn't that run about 4k alone, let alone hotel and transportation forn17 days?

I know flights to Portugal from NJ in August can run $1300- $1500 each. 
This is why I mentioned that we are more or less locked into Paris as one of the destinations.  London, Barcelona, Munich, Vienace, Rome, Athens, Copenhagen etc are all $1100-$1500 round trip from Miami.   Paris is "only" $550.

Seems like the Chunnel is about as convenient/afdordabe as it would get to move from one country to the next plus it's a story in its self.

i don't think I'd be interested in doing a third city but I'm open to it.   What would you recommend seeing as Paris is more or less locked in as one of the stops?  Dublin?  Barcelona?

True, for convenience and affordability, taking the chunnel to London makes sense. In my opinion, 8 days is a long time in Paris/London with a kid. Barcelona is a really cool city. I have heard so many wonderful things about Amsterdam. There are tons of smaller cities in France and England that are worth visiting as well. 

So.... seeing as how Paris is locked in here.... where in the city should we stay.   Want access to shopping and restaurants and want to be able to visit the Major Parisian tourist traps.

So.... seeing as how Paris is locked in here.... where in the city should we stay.   Want access to shopping and restaurants and want to be able to visit the Major Parisian tourist traps.
about 10 years ago now we found really good advice on the slowtrav.com forums

wound up getting an apartment on the Ile St Louis, 10 days for 1000.  right in the middle of everything. would absolutely do it again.

This is why I mentioned that we are more or less locked into Paris as one of the destinations.  London, Barcelona, Munich, Vienace, Rome, Athens, Copenhagen etc are all $1100-$1500 round trip from Miami.   Paris is "only" $550.
Really??

$550 MIA to Paris?

Is that the infamous Spirit airlines I hear so much about?

My cousins in Paris and have taken very cheap flights (Like 60-120) to other locations in europe. Might be an option

As I always do when we have these vacation threads I'll suggest not going to London. London is not my cup of tea - and I even like tea. 

IIRC the French vacation in August so Paris might be pretty empty, apart from all the tourists. I can also heartily recommend staying away from Euro Disney.

Do you speak any other languages fluently (than English)? If not, Holland and Belgium (just a train ride away on the Thalys from Paris) might be your thing, Bruges, Antwerp, Amserdam.

There are a multitude of cheap airlines that can zip you around, 100 bucks each can get you roundtrip airfare to Copenhagen, just over 200 to Athens. Rome (approx usd 100 per person) is less than two hours flight from Paris, or you could take the TGV South,  rent a car and drive the Mediterranean coast. East from Nice will take you to Italy, Genova, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Rome. Go West and you get to Spain, where Barcelona is close by. Prague, Budapest, Munich, Berlin, I could go on

Your options are so many, and almost all of them beats going to London.

Expounding on my post - the degree of difficulty due to the lack of a language barrier is much lower in London than even Paris - in addition, so much of the main sights are going to be very familiar for an American kid in Europe for the first time.  Plus there are a bunch of easy day trips - boat to Hampton Court or Greenwich is a great day, etc.

17 days opens up at least 4-5 other cities.   If it were me I would go London 3 nights - train to Paris 2 nights - car to Arles, Aix en Provence, coast 4 nights total - then Venice Florence Rome then home. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Really??

$550 MIA to Paris?

Is that the infamous Spirit airlines I hear so much about?

My cousins in Paris and have taken very cheap flights (Like 60-120) to other locations in europe. Might be an option
:shrug:

TAP and Air France.  Spirit only does the carabean for the most part.

Didn't see this mentioned yet, apologies if so, but Europe basically goes on vacation in August and a lot of places close down. Might just want to check and make sure your desired spots have enough going on then.

So you're looking for 17 days, 3 people, < $4K?

I see you are locked into $550x3 = $1650.  It will be more like $1800 once you add bags, etc I gotta believe

Transportation while you are there, if you are only doing 2-3 other cities...  maybe another $1000

That leaves you $1200 for 17 days lodging, or $70/night.  That might work if it was just you and the wifey, but with the daughter I think you are in a tough place to stick to that.

Bump the budget to $5K and you can do it

So you're looking for 17 days, 3 people, < $4K?

I see you are locked into $550x3 = $1650.  It will be more like $1800 once you add bags, etc I gotta believe

Transportation while you are there, if you are only doing 2-3 other cities...  maybe another $1000

That leaves you $1200 for 17 days lodging, or $70/night.  That might work if it was just you and the wifey, but with the daughter I think you are in a tough place to stick to that.

Bump the budget to $5K and you can do it
Sounds about what I had in nind.  More along the lines of 4-5 then 6-7

With a 9 year old, I would definitely include London.  Much more touristy things to do that she would like.  Paris would also be a must.  Those would be the main 2.  You could easily do 3-5 days in each.  Maybe pick one more city.   Maybe Florence.

If you skip London you can do a London/Italy trip.  For one of our trips we flew into Paris, then flew home from Rome (quick flight from Paris to Pisa, stayed in Florence as a base and did an overnight in Venice then ended trip in Rome - all by high speed train).  

A lot depends on what your 9 year old would enjoy.  

I'm pretty sure he meant 2 days isn't enough time.
2 day hops between cities would be brutally tiring

with 17 days i'd spend 5 in Paris, 3 in Amsterdam for sure..  i've never been to any of the Eastern European countries but i hear Budapest is amazing and people love Prague.  probably try to find time for each of those.

Didn't see this mentioned yet, apologies if so, but Europe basically goes on vacation in August and a lot of places close down. Might just want to check and make sure your desired spots have enough going on then.
I think this would mean you could potentially snag a better deal on a VRBO or apartment. this would be the way I would try to go especially with a kid in tow and trying to watch the budget.

I've been to Amsterdam in my younger days.  A fantastic place for sure but I'm not sure I'd take my daughter to where I visited.

i really think im locked into Paris and London as the main parts of the trip.  That's not to say I can make one or two 1-2 day side trips along the way.

When we traveled with kids, we tried to minimize the number of cities.  A day shuttling between cities is pretty much a day lost.  I'd keep it to two cities max.  The other sites will still be there the next time you visit.

With Paris as your base, you need to consider that Paris has three airports, all of which are crap.  Beauvais is the worst airport in Europe.  I'd rule out any side trips that involve air travel and chose destinations that you can hit by train without killing your schedule (e.g. London, Amsterdam, Ghent).

mr. furley said:
2 day hops between cities would be brutally tiring

with 17 days i'd spend 5 in Paris, 3 in Amsterdam for sure..  i've never been to any of the Eastern European countries but i hear Budapest is amazing and people love Prague.  probably try to find time for each of those.
Budapest and Prague are amazing but it's a little bit of a hike from Paris. 

I've been to Amsterdam in my younger days.  A fantastic place for sure but I'm not sure I'd take my daughter to where I visited.

i really think im locked into Paris and London as the main parts of the trip.  That's not to say I can make one or two 1-2 day side trips along the way.
Definitely could do it. The small towns in Europe are very cool. 

Mont st Michel / Normandy beaches would be an excellent overnight trip from Paris.
My grandfather was a survivor of Juno beach:... Normandy is manditory.

my other grandfather survived "Pearl Harbor".  He was on a army (really air force) base on the north side of Oahu.

When we traveled with kids, we tried to minimize the number of cities.  A day shuttling between cities is pretty much a day lost.  I'd keep it to two cities max.  The other sites will still be there the next time you visit.

With Paris as your base, you need to consider that Paris has three airports, all of which are crap.  Beauvais is the worst airport in Europe.  I'd rule out any side trips that involve air travel and chose destinations that you can hit by train without killing your schedule (e.g. London, Amsterdam, Ghent).
Yeah this is where I'm at I think unless I decide Rome is in the plans.  

If I'm going to take a rail anywhere else other than London maybe Antwerp/Amsterdam.

My grandfather was a survivor of Juno beach:... Normandy is manditory.

my other grandfather survived "Pearl Harbor".  He was on a army (really air force) base on the north side of Oahu.
I think this settles it.

Paris - train to Normandy - Daytrip in Normandy - Channel Ferry from Caen to Portsmouth - train to London - x days in London - Eurostar back to Paris.

Like wine? Beaune in the heart of the urgundy district is pretty awesome for a couple of days. Pommard, Meursault, Chablis, Nuit-St. George

Take the train to Dijon and rent a car, the drive into Beaune is spectacular. Stay at a winecastle, or if you are budget conscious, I am sure you can find something nice on airbnb

The Ref said:

I love Dublin, but the countryside is the best part of Ireland.  I think you'd be cheating yourself on Ireland if you just go to Dublin.

I think this settles it.

Paris - train to Normandy - Daytrip in Normandy - Channel Ferry from Caen to Portsmouth - train to London - x days in London - Eurostar back to Paris.
Renting a car isn't a bad option either.  If he's set on going to Normandy, you can also do Mt. St. Michael, Dinan (medieval town), St. Malo (walled city on coast) all as well, all of which are interesting in their own way for a 9 year old.  They're all touristy now, but you can't get them in America.  

If you do rent a car, you can also hit up the Loire Valley (Amboise) fairly easily as well which is nice if she's into castles (Chambord).

Doing all that is 5 days or so and they're all memorable for a 9 year old.  

Renting a car isn't a bad option either.  If he's set on going to Normandy, you can also do Mt. St. Michael, Dinan (medieval town), St. Malo (walled city on coast) all as well, all of which are interesting in their own way for a 9 year old.  They're all touristy now, but you can't get them in America.  

If you do rent a car, you can also hit up the Loire Valley (Amboise) fairly easily as well which is nice if she's into castles (Chambord).

Doing all that is 5 days or so and they're all memorable for a 9 year old.  
This is worth considering but since you're visiting in August, you should research what's going to be open.  I suspect provincial towns will shut down more completely than places more dependent on tourism like Paris or Normandy.

This is worth considering but since you're visiting in August, you should research what's going to be open.  I suspect provincial towns will shut down more completely than places more dependent on tourism like Paris or Normandy.
Their "provincial" in the sense they are small, but they are all tourist places now.  Granted it was 10 years ago, but all these places sort of cater to the French August tourist as well.  I would say to anyone going to Mt St. Michel, get their first thing in the morning.

Another thing to consider to make things cheaper is to get overnight rail tickets. No car rental $ or time wasting of numerous drives -- "land" in Rome effortlessly while saving money and more time for another major city.

The trip we did was easy.  Fly direct into Paris (De Gaulle).   Stayed 5 days in Paris, near the Arc.  Flew from there to Pisa and did a quick transfer to Florence (loved it).  High speed train to Venice for an overnight, stayed one night at Hilton Suckey, then high speed train 2 hours to Rome.  Stayed 5 days - flew home to LA.  Not hard at all.  I'd be careful trying to do too many cities. 

We went in July.  It was Africa hot in Rome.  August is worse. And as people mentioned some areas will be virtually shut down on vacation so take that into consideration. 

Went to London this past July, along with Amsterdam and Barcelona.  I'd wait on the latter two until your daughter is a bit older.  But definitely do London.

6th arrondisemont - the latin quarter, is a good area.  fyi, paris-milan runs a train.  the milan-paris leg is overnight.  

Chemical X said:
6th arrondisemont - the latin quarter, is a good area.  fyi, paris-milan runs a train.  the milan-paris leg is overnight.  
Ha - I've been to two places in Europe.  Amsterdam and Milan.  Loved it, but if I'm going I want to do someplace new.

Users who are viewing this thread