What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN Article on Brady & Kraft Sabotaging the Future for Brady's Ego (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB said:
An article from the #1 sports news company in the world regarding the state of his franchise, speaking largely about Belichick in specific. Uh, we both know he read it.  
#1 sports news to you. I got rid of cable so I wasn't supporting ESPN or NFL Network. I research everything. It didn't take long to figure out this was just another hit piece.The stuff attributed to Belichick about Jimmy G sounded more like a Jimmy G fanboy media type. BB called Jimmy G a good QB and great teammate. I've heard a lot of Belichick's pressers and I've never heard him be a fanboy of an unproven player. He says we'll see. I don't doubt BB discussed elements of the article with Kraft but to sit down and spend time to read it, NO.This stuff is old hat for NE and BB.

If you want to know what he thinks listen to his WEEI radio segment. They couched the questions properly.

Bill Belichick on WEEI 1/8: 'Tom has been a huge help to me'

Last edited:
#1 sports news to you. I got rid of cable so I wasn't supporting ESPN or NFL Network. I research everything. It didn't take long to figure out this was just another hit piece.The stuff attributed to Belichick about Jimmy G sounded more like a Jimmy G fanboy media type. BB called Jimmy G a good QB and great teammate. I've heard a lot of Belichick's pressers and I've never heard him be a fanboy of an unproven player. He says we'll see. I don't doubt BB discussed elements of the article with Kraft but to sit down and spend time to read it, NO.This stuff is old hat for NE and BB.

If you want to know what he thinks listen to his WEEI radio segment. They couched the questions properly.

Bill Belichick on WEEI 1/8: 'Tom has been a huge help to me'
Obviously his #1 media choice is the one that bows down to him.  Nationally, ESPN is still number one. And Belichick has an ego big enough that he wants to know what is getting out to the entire country. He read the article.

Obviously his #1 media choice is the one that bows down to him.  Nationally, ESPN is still number one. And Belichick has an ego big enough that he wants to know what is getting out to the entire country. He read the article.
Believe what you want he was asked that specific question on the WEEI show. I'm listening to it now. Keep hating. 

NE_REVIVAL said:
I was just calling you on what i considered to be a bit of a gratuitous shot on my boys and willing to let it go though asking for support of an assertion doesn't equate to me believing everything one side or the says either. I have no wish to rehash either so lets just move on.

And yes ive agreed with you on most of your take in this thread and posted as much. Some of whats in the article is likely true and some of it isn't. I am glad to know that BB didn't have a date with rodger last week and contrary to some reports he will more than likely remain next year. As for ne repeating I have my doubts, paper thin in spots, D not as good as last yr and just can't get off the field at times. They are getting healthier than they have been in a while so maybe they will be all right but I can't help but feel there is reason for hope in patriot hater nation this year (u know pretty much the entire country).  
I don’t think they’re as good as in the past either but think they win by default. The AFC is pretty weak, and while Pitt or Jax could give them a game if things break right I wouldn’t count on it happening. The Saints could have a shot but Case Keenum or Nick Foles are not winning the Super Bowl.

I don’t think they’re as good as in the past either but think they win by default. The AFC is pretty weak, and while Pitt or Jax could give them a game if things break right I wouldn’t count on it happening. The Saints could have a shot but Case Keenum or Nick Foles are not winning the Super Bowl.
Case Keenum has played well this season. 

I think Atlanta has a shot, too. Why not a rematch? There won't be a D/ST return for a TD, likely, but the teams know each other. 

And Pitt has shown that they're willing to adjust on Brady and not play 3-8 zone.  

He has. I just don’t see him winning a Super Bowl. 
Career post season records of the remaining QB's . . .

Brady 25-9
Roethlisberger 13-7
Brees 7-5
Ryan 4-5
Mariota 1-0
Bortles 1-0
Keenum 0-0
Foles 0-1

Who knows how Keenum (or the guys that haven't played more than a game) will do in the bright lights on a big stage.

I agree afc is weaker for sure and NO would probably have the best chance vs NE, but I think Min wins this week and next and they could beat ne (as could pitt as well). Of course i thought KC and LA would win so what the hell do i no. 

In regards to Jimmy Gs performance in SF, is it possible that the 49ers are NOT a 1-win team but Beathard/Hoyer were 1-win quarterbacks? His performance was great and stats were decent but he didn’t singlehandedly win those games. Not saying I wouldn’t want him as the eventual replacement for Brady but people are acting as if he was playing at an MVP HoF level this season and I don’t see it that way. But time will tell, eh. That’s my two cents. 

In regards to Jimmy Gs performance in SF, is it possible that the 49ers are NOT a 1-win team but Beathard/Hoyer were 1-win quarterbacks? His performance was great and stats were decent but he didn’t singlehandedly win those games. Not saying I wouldn’t want him as the eventual replacement for Brady but people are acting as if he was playing at an MVP HoF level this season and I don’t see it that way. But time will tell, eh. That’s my two cents. 
One of those 1-win quarterbacks is now one hit away from being New England's quarterback. 

One of those 1-win quarterbacks is now one hit away from being New England's quarterback. 
Who is now on a team that won 11 games in a season with a QB that hadn’t played in 7 or 8 years. I can’t imagine Hoyer is worse than Cassel, who essentially hadn’t played QB since high school. 

Believe what you want he was asked that specific question on the WEEI show. I'm listening to it now. Keep hating. 
Ugh.  Nothing more annoying, than arguing your side with "haters", "haterade", etc.  Either your argument is weak, or you'r a 15 year old who doesn't know any better.

I guess people can disagree what is a success and what is a failure is. BB inherited a 3-13 team that ranked 27th in points scored and 28th in points allowed. In a few years, he got them to the playoffs with an 11-5 record and ranked 11th in scoring and 1st in points allowed. They went from a -234 point differential to a +136 point differential, a scoring swing of 370 points. The reconstituted Browns have had two winning seasons and one playoff appearance (since 1999) with a combined 88-216 record (.289). So sure, if every year is graded on a pass / fail basis on winning the Super Bowl or not, then BB failed in his time in CLE.
Let’s not spin this any other way- He was 37- 45 with Cleveland, he is overrated. 

In light of one the stupidest coaching moves in Super bowl history for not playing Butler, this is a done deal for being overrated. 41 points allowed for an alleged mastermind

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s not spin this any other way- He was 37- 45 with Cleveland, he is overrated. 

In light of one the stupidest coaching moves in Super bowl history for not playing Butler, this is a done deal for being overrated. 41 points allowed for an alleged mastermind
Next time I bump into BB, who has now coached in 11 Super Bowls and was on the winning side in 7 of them, I will let him know that you think he is overrated. We still don't know what happened with Butler, and as being discussed in other threads, both defenses got lit up in the SB. Butler did not play anywhere near as well as he did in prior years. If you think that his absence decided the game, that's your prerogative. Depending on match ups and his reads, things could have been worse for NE if he played.

He was also the last Browns head coach to win a playoff game

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
The whole BB being overrated stuff is silly. In 33 years as a defensive coordinator, assistant coach, and head coach (NYG, NYJ, CLE, NEP), the teams he coached have gone 355-172 (.674) in the regular season, 38-15 (.717) in the post season, and 393-187 (.678) combined. Tom Brady played in only half of BB's coaching career. He went to the playoffs with all 4 of those teams (including 7 years in the playoffs and 3 SB appearances) before Brady even took a snap. BB has coached on 22 teams that went to the playoffs. I wish I were that overrated.

Even as a big time Pats hater I have to :lmao:  at this. Billy Boy is the best HC of all time, and it's not close.

He was also the last Browns head coach to win a playoff game
Yes and no. Yes for “Browns” but the Browns team he coached turned into the Ravens the year after he was fired. That team obviously went on to plenty of playoff success without him. 

Good thing to see you made your mind up about BB in the mid-90’s...

Yes and no. Yes for “Browns” but the Browns team he coached turned into the Ravens the year after he was fired. That team obviously went on to plenty of playoff success without him. 
The Browns were in the playoffs in 2002 under Butch Davis (ETA: But they did not win).

The whole BB being overrated stuff is silly. In 33 years as a defensive coordinator, assistant coach, and head coach (NYG, NYJ, CLE, NEP), the teams he coached have gone 355-172 (.674) in the regular season, 38-15 (.717) in the post season, and 393-187 (.678) combined. Tom Brady played in only half of BB's coaching career. He went to the playoffs with all 4 of those teams (including 7 years in the playoffs and 3 SB appearances) before Brady even took a snap. BB has coached on 22 teams that went to the playoffs. I wish I were that overrated.
I really don't think winning percentage is a good indicator for a coach's success.  I doubt BB had much to do with most of those wins anyway.  It was all Brady and the slightly deflated footballs.  A coach's success should be measured by shoe size.  That's really the only objective way.

That organization went on to win plenty of playoff games but the Ravens first playoff win came in the 2000 season by which time only two players were left, Matt Stover and Rob Burnett, who had played for the Browns prior to the move.  New city, new name, new team.

Meanwhile, after watching the Super Bowl, does anyone think that the Pats should tie up $20M+ for a backup QB next year with all of the obvious holes on that defense?

I really don't think winning percentage is a good indicator for a coach's success.  I doubt BB had much to do with most of those wins anyway.  It was all Brady and the slightly deflated footballs.  A coach's success should be measured by shoe size.  That's really the only objective way.
How do you measure yourself with other golfers? By height.

If I was the Pats, I woulda hung on to JG and figured it out this offseason.  All things considered, I think it would have been worth it even if they got nothing for JG in the offseason.  PLenty of things could have gone wrong for Brady during the season.  

They would have probably gotten some sort of decent comp pick out of it, or they could have tagged and traded him.  

Or......................god forbid...........................the just make JG the future either by Brady retiring or being traded.  

Just the route I woulda gone if I really felt JG was special.

That organization went on to win plenty of playoff games but the Ravens first playoff win came in the 2000 season by which time only two players were left, Matt Stover and Rob Burnett, who had played for the Browns prior to the move.  New city, new name, new team.
That's fine, and let me be clear that I think BB is the greatest head coach of all time. That said, I think the "last coach to win a playoff game for the Browns" fact that gets thrown around is implying something greater than reality, since the franchise he was with has won plenty of playoff games since then, under two different head coaches.

That's fine, and let me be clear that I think BB is the greatest head coach of all time. That said, I think the "last coach to win a playoff game for the Browns" fact that gets thrown around is implying something greater than reality, since the franchise he was with has won plenty of playoff games since then, under two different head coaches.
Who was,the last coach to win a playoff game for the Cleveland Browns?

Who was,the last coach to win a playoff game for the Cleveland Browns?
Belichick, which is why I called it a fact.

However, BB was the last coach in Cleveland for the Baltimore Ravens franchise, so there couldn’t have been another coach who won games in Cleveland for that franchise. Futility of an expansion team that followed the Ravens in Cleveland has nothing to do with him. 

Belichick, which is why I called it a fact.

However, BB was the last coach in Cleveland for the Baltimore Ravens franchise, so there couldn’t have been another coach who won games in Cleveland for that franchise. Futility of an expansion team that followed the Ravens in Cleveland has nothing to do with him. 
Neither does the after the fact success of the new Ravens franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread