What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Entrepreneur Guys 2.0: The Side Gig (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Starting a second thread on creating a business. I already own and operate my own business, I run a graphic design studio. But since I went out on my own 4 years ago, I stopped my side gig (Which was the design while I was working at an advertising agency). I really miss the "fun money" b/c I was pulling in some serious money on the side gig while my full-time gig payed for the day to day stuff. I use to referee ice hockey a few games a month but that was more for fun and to get out in the last few years, not really to make money.

My challenges with a side gig, is that my FT gig gets busy in waves, so there are times that I am slow and others where I am working well into the night. So finding consistent time for that is tough. My kid plays travel hockey, so my weekends are shot during most of the fall and winter months as we are traveling with him. So I really need something that is spring and summer only, I'm hitting 50 in Oct, so don't want to do anything like construction or sprinklers where I doing physical labor. I am looking for something with a low barrier of entry and not a ton of expenses up front.

Enter the Lemonade Stand

No, not the one I set up on a card table at the end of my driveway. I mean a tent for festivals, carnivals, fair, youth sporting tournaments, etc.

I fell down a youtube rabbit hole the other night where I found a guy promoting them. for the main set up, I have most of the basics, a 10x10 tent, folding tables, coolers, etc. I would need slicers/squeezers, jugs for water, some banners, a menu board, and some other serving things like utensils and such.

I have a friend in a networking group that sells take out packaging, so I will get my 32oz deli cups, lids, napkins and such from him.

My DBA is set up, I took my food handlers course last week, with my final test on Tuesday, and then I can get certified by the health board. I'm not handling and food that needs to be cooked or spoils so there was a shorter course I could take, its mostly citrus which is pretty hardy.

As a designer already, signs and logo are easy for me to do.

I am a board member of my chamber of commerce, so I know many of the festivals planned for this summer. I have a friend who runs the local youth soccer club with over 400 families per weekend playing there. He said I could set up any weekend I wanted. I also have 3 other weeknight outdoor music events in July booked. I've stared reaching out to other sports with tournaments or large events happening this summer.

Now i'm testing recipes, and perfecting the drinks.

As for consumables, it pretty cut and dry....lemons, sugar, water and ice. 32oz deli cups/lids, straws, napkins, gloves. I'm playing with flavoring syrups and frozen fruit to make more exotic flavors (= more $ per cup)

I have it down right now as selling them for $6/cup with only about $0.65-0.80 cost per cup, netting at least $5 profit per cup. Flavored is $1 more but only cost about $0.20 each for the flavor squirt. I can also sell prepackaged foods like cotton candy tubs for a few dollars profit as well.

Event fees can get costly and the licensing is costing a bunch, so figure $100 for the training and license, then about $50-$80 for each event. I live in NY so my selling season is really just these next few months, then I can put it all away until next spring. I'd love to get a trailer or something more professional, but I'm not in a hurry for that yet.

I'll keep the thread updated

Last edited:
I have a growing tiki mug collection, and we have a few tikis in our back yard. We dig the kitcheness of tiki culture. Also as Disney fans, Adventureland, the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise have a special place in out hearts.

So I named me DBA: Tiki Ted's Trading Co. (Tiki Ted was the nickname of the 1st tiki statue we got), I kept it general in case things take off and i can branch off into other areas of mobile vending. The actual stand will be named: Tiki ted's Lemon Smash. It will ovb have a Polynesian theme and I eventually plan on getting things like Hawaiian tee-shirts for the staff (Me and my kids), and other Poly type decorations.

My tip jar will say "Tips Keep the Gods Happy" and all the specially drinks will have a Poly flair them, one I'm working on called the "Shark Bite" would be for kids and be blue with gummy sharks floating in it.

I'd love to get to a point where the stand operates like Trader Sam's Bar at the Polynesian resort where when you order certain premium drinks, I can make "Actions" happen. For instance if I had a volcano themed drink, there would be a button I could hit where the lighting turns red and a puff of smoke from a smoke machine shoots out at the customers feet while I make the drink. Or another drink might trigger a strobe light for lightening. I know, I have wild ideas.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade?
Funny bc that one of my marketing ideas. If things are slow or the day is almost over and I have a few lemons left, I want to make a card with a rubber band attached to a lemon, the walk around handing them out. It would say:
“ life just gave you a lemon, go make lemonade” and it would have a coupon on it for a discount at my cart.

Passed my food handlers test today. We're in business!

Now to finalize the tent set up, get all the things like folding tables and supplies and start applying to festivals.

Got the big juice squishier the other day and the kids cant stop making drinks for themselves. :ROFLMAO: #1 rule for dealers, stay out of your own supply. lol

todays drink:
Hawaiian Sunset (in 32 oz deli cup)
1/2 Orange; squeeze and put in bottom of cup
1/2 Lemon; squeeze and drop on top of orange
1/2 Lime; squeeze and drop on top of the lemon
1/4 cup sugar
add ice to the top
fill with cold water
put lid on it and shake

enjoy, Named so b/c the 3 fruits stacked on top of each other look like a sunset from the side of the cup

Passed my food handlers test today. We're in business!

Now to finalize the tent set up, get all the things like folding tables and supplies and start applying to festivals.

Got the big juice squishier the other day and the kids cant stop making drinks for themselves. :ROFLMAO: #1 rule for dealers, stay out of your own supply. lol

todays drink:
Hawaiian Sunset (in 32 oz deli cup)
1/2 Orange; squeeze and put in bottom of cup
1/2 Lemon; squeeze and drop on top of orange
1/2 Lime; squeeze and drop on top of the lemon
1/4 cup sugar
add ice to the top
fill with cold water
put lid on it and shake

enjoy, Named so b/c the 3 fruits stacked on top of each other look like a sunset from the side of the cup
I do not know recipes but that sounds like a lot of sugar! I bet it’s good! Good luck!

Sounds like a lot of work for not much return. Good luck but definitely not something I would ever want to do.

Sounds like a lot of work for not much return. Good luck but definitely not something I would ever want to do.
i guess? But as a side gig, I can really set the hours I will work which is important. But at av. 85% profit per cup sold, $1-$2k weekends are out there.

round numbers $6 per cup sold, profit $5/per. 100 cups sold = $500 profit. When you are at festivals that draw 1K+ people (I live in very dense Long Island, NY, there are events every weekend in the summer), 100 cups min on a hot July day seem reachable.

And thats just basic cups. I have premium cups at $2 extra which only carry $0.20—$0.40 more cost, so I'm making $1.60—$1.80 extra profit on those. Then things like pre-packaged sales like cotton candy and candy with $1 or so profit on those with zero prep work. I wasn't considering soda/cold drinks, but I am now as I may be vending at a soccer field for a few weekends where they have no concession at all. They would be easy profit as well.

IDK if I could ever make that my full time gig, but I already have one of those. But if I worked 3 out of the 4 weekends a month in the summer and av $500 per day profit, I'll take $9k extra for the summer. More is great, less is meh but I have almost zero invested, maybe all told $5-600 in permit fees and initial supplies.

Who knows, we'll see where it goes.

Last edited:
i guess? But as a side gig, I can really set the hours I will work which is important. But at av. 85% profit per cup sold, $1-$2k weekends are out there.
I guess I am more of the mindset that this wouldn't be fun at all and would much rather spend my time doing something else and even with making $1K on a weekend it wouldn't be worth it for the time I would be spending doing it. At $500 a day, I would expect you to need to work 12 hours (at a minimum) which includes set up, tear down, travel, etc that puts it at $40-ish an hour and that is if you are working alone. Not bad but for doing something I would hate it doesn't seem worth it for "extra" money.

This is a great thing if you enjoy it. Seems like you do so it fits for you. It's just not for me. But I will get a cup if I see you around...haha

I guess I am more of the mindset that this wouldn't be fun at all and would much rather spend my time doing something else and even with making $1K on a weekend it wouldn't be worth it for the time I would be spending doing it. At $500 a day, I would expect you to need to work 12 hours (at a minimum) which includes set up, tear down, travel, etc that puts it at $40-ish an hour and that is if you are working alone. Not bad but for doing something I would hate it doesn't seem worth it for "extra" money.

This is a great thing if you enjoy it. Seems like you do so it fits for you. It's just not for me. But I will get a cup if I see you around...haha

This is exactly why many of these end up being short-term. Unless it's scaled up, it (usually) becomes not worth it, even at decent numbers. $1,000/weekend sounds nice. But like you say, it's likely a $40/hr thing once it's all said and done. And even that sounds good to many people... once or twice. Even $50-$60/hr gets old when its your entire weekend, and you're back to the regular full-time gig Monday.

There are definite exceptions, especially if it's enjoyable. In the 80's, my father had an iron shop and (long story short) ended up making cheap swords and axes and sold them at renaissance fairs in the summer. He was the only guy with a $20 metal sword, and every kid there wanted one. I worked his booth (that looked like a castle) many weekends, and everyone had a blast, because you were (sort of) part of the show, as everyone had to be in costume, had to try and be in character, etc. Plus, hanging out before/after hours with all the actors and other artsy vendors was cool.

But he also sold them at sci-fi/fantasy conventions and flea markets, and that eventually faded even though he made $ - it just wasn't fun enough to justify being there all weekend.

1st official event booked! May 25th. :ptts:

Last night I did some cold outreach to local festivals I found on my local FB events page.

One got back to me before this one, but I would need to be approved by the board first (so Im not counting that as a booking yet). 🤞b/c that one is 4 separate nights spread out over a few weeks in the summer.

round numbers $6 per cup sold, profit $5/per. 100 cups sold = $500 profit. When you are at festivals that draw 1K+ people (I live in very dense Long Island, NY, there are events every weekend in the summer), 100 cups min on a hot July day seem reachable.

And thats just basic cups. I have premium cups at $2 extra which only carry $0.20—$0.40 more cost, so I'm making $1.60—$1.80 extra profit on those. Then things like pre-packaged sales like cotton candy and candy with $1 or so profit on those with zero prep work. I wasn't considering soda/cold drinks, but I am now as I may be vending at a soccer field for a few weekends where they have no concession at all. They would be easy profit as well.

IDK if I could ever make that my full time gig, but I already have one of those. But if I worked 3 out of the 4 weekends a month in the summer and av $500 per day profit, I'll take $9k extra for the summer. More is great, less is meh but I have almost zero invested, maybe all told $5-600 in permit fees and initial supplies.

dont forget water sales.

my wife and i have kicked around similar thoughts. one of the negatives are the festival hours.. it's a 10+ hour day

dont forget water sales.

my wife and i have kicked around similar thoughts. one of the negatives are the festival hours.. it's a 10+ hour day
yep, some can be. I could see giving myself off the day after from my regular gig (I'm the HR manager as well lol) and spending the day in the pool.

both my kids are vey eager to help, 18 and 15 so they will def be recruited for those longer ones as well as some of my oldest's friends for some extra side cash. Those would be the perfect events for them.

So far the one longest one i've event I booked is only 4 hours, so we will ease into it.

Events 2, 3 and 4 booked. Music nights at my library, they usually bring in about 200 or so people each.

I had them penciled in already as I am good friends with the staff there and bounced then initial idea off of them.
Nice thing is that they do not charge a fee and b/c its not a festival, no board of health or inspectors to worry about braking my shoes.

My wife and I did this the past few years. She’s a teacher so it’s perfect for her summers off.

We started out with the same equipment you did. We setup at the school youth football on Saturdays. 10-4 or so and would bring in about $800 profit. The local HS booster got a lemonade from us and invited us to setup there. We usually made $1k profit in one HS game.

From there we had people invite us to festivals and other events. It’s been fun for us, and decent money.

Glad to hear it was successful for you. My wife is a teacher as well, and our slowest time of the year for the kids sports is summer, so it works out for us as well.

Been busy working the lines.

I co-run a festival for my chamber of commerce that was this past Saturday. Weather in NY was nice, but not overly hot. We had a lemonade guy already booked and he said he did about 100 cups, and this was on a 60+ degree day. factor $5 profit per cup and its a $500 day for him this early in the season.

Here is my upcoming schedule

May 18: Full concession stand at a local youth soccer tourney. Full day, 9-4. Will only be selling the pre-packed basics: soda, water, chips, candy. Then coffee and hot chocolate and our lemonade. Not set up for dealing with hot food just yet. So no hot dogs or nachos or any of that. I can't sell those normally so I dont want to et stuck with a bunch of stuff I cant move at my next tent event.
They have a whole concession stand they built but no one runs it. If all goes well, I may take it over for the next spring.

May 25: small spring festival
May 26: HUUUGE street festival in a neighboring town. I know the former president of their chamber and he's getting me in.
June 1, 27, July 25, Aug 22: Town block party nights (The last night conflicts with another event so I'm going to have to secure a second tent and setup)
July 10, 31, Aug 13 Library music night
June 21, July 19, Aug 16: another local library music night
August 22-Aug 25 Huge local Festival, I know the president of their chamber of commerce and he's reserving me a spot

Shaping up to be a solid 1st summer, bur not done booking yet. 🤞

Super awesome. And for those saying it might not be worth it...

If he gets bored, you can easily hire a kid to run this I think.

By run this, I mean the long hours, not the whole business

Super awesome. And for those saying it might not be worth it...

If he gets bored, you can easily hire a kid to run this I think.

By run this, I mean the long hours, not the whole business
I have a lot of help. My 18 year old daughter is looking to make money before college, and my 14 year old son wants to meet festival girls :ROFLMAO:

My father is retired and he's excited to help too. He and my wife will be running the AM shift on the 18th concession stand gig being I have my last spring class to teach.

My daughter has a lot of friends who can step in for a night if needed.

I have a lot of help. My 18 year old daughter is looking to make money before college, and my 14 year old son wants to meet festival girls :ROFLMAO:

My father is retired and he's excited to help too. He and my wife will be running the AM shift on the 18th concession stand gig being I have my last spring class to teach.

All of this really cuts down on the profit. So it goes from $500/day probably down to $200-$300 (at most with 2-4 extra people working). It's great people want to help but it is making it less and less profitable for still a lot of work.

All of this really cuts down on the profit. So it goes from $500/day probably down to $200-$300 (at most with 2-4 extra people working). It's great people want to help but it is making it less and less profitable for still a lot of work.
I dont disagree... but I will mostly likely only have 1 person with me when needed or when I cant be somewhere. For instance, the concession gig on the 18th, my profit is going to my wife to pay bills anyway, so her working the stand for 1/2 a day is a wash, I'm not paying her in the traditional sense. I'll throw my father a few $$ but I doubt he will even take it, thats just the way he is. Not that I am taking advantage of him, but I trust him and he's worked in the service industry for years before retiring. He loves to get out and do things anyway, esp if its for family, and if he did take money I guarantee he would be over the next night with pizzas for the family bought with that money.

I'll take the 2nd shift with my son and tell him he's working off the new $250 hockey stick I just bought him. Even if I throw him an extra $20 bill at the end of the day, he'll be on cloud nine.

And while I am still learning things, many vendors I talk to—mainly around how much food stock to bring with you—the rule of thumb is that, even if you have a line down the block, you can only make so many drinks per hour. So if you say can handle 50 drinks an hour, for a 4 hour festival, having around 200 or so lemons is what you should bring. But adding a person can technically double that output. The key is knowing what events will need that 2nd person and for how long. Having a 2nd person when i'm only going to sell 50 cups vs having that person when I can sell 500+ is vastly different to the bottom line.

safe to say, I'll be the main worker with my wife 85% of the time.

Last edited:

Dude

Users who are viewing this thread