What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Earthquake: LA (1 Viewer)

from NGD (yes reports are it was less than 5), not to belittle but to show how dynamic our planet is

Neil deGrasse Tyson @neiltyson 7m
If this morning's LA quake was less than Mag 5, note such quakes occur more than 10,000 times per year somewhere in the word.

having never been in an earthquake a 4.x would probably make me urinate on myself

from NGD (yes reports are it was less than 5), not to belittle but to show how dynamic our planet is

If this morning's LA quake was less than Mag 5, note such quakes occur more than 10,000 times per year somewhere in the word.

having never been in an earthquake a 4.x would probably make me urinate on myself
Been through some high 4s in Alaska. Scary stuff.

The 5.8 we had here in VA in 2011 was pretty intense. Was three stories underground and made it to the exit and up three flights of stairs fast enough that I was out before the folks on the two floors above me.

What does 4.4 - 4.9 feel like? Is this when pictures starting falling and lamps get knocked over?

Woke me up and gave my place a pretty good shaking. No damage. Just did a walk around my home and don't see any issues. Nothing fell, even the crap stacked up in the garage. Taking some stuff down off the walls just in case of aftershocks today. Looks like the epicenter was about 4 miles away and 5 miles below. Solid rumbling.

What does 4.4 - 4.9 feel like? Is this when pictures starting falling and lamps get knocked over?
I think the biggest one I was in was a 4.7. It had everything shaking and rattling. I was in a military dorm room and we had these metal free standing wardrobes instead of closets. They didn't fall over but they were rocking pretty good. But other than scaring me awake after a long night of drinking no real damage done,

I think the San Andreas supposedly can only top out at only 8.6 (yeah, I know, that is a monster) - I could be completely wrong also.

it's when a screaming bdeep knocks you over to get the hell out of the building, only to realize that he is not sure outside is any safer. Eventually you step over his body in a fetal position in a softly humming soft kitty to himself

NCCommish said:
BobbyLayne said:
NCCommish said:
B-Deep said:

I think the biggest one I was in was a 4.7. It had everything shaking and rattling. I was in a military dorm room and we had these metal free standing wardrobes instead of closets. They didn't fall over but they were rocking pretty good. But other than scaring me awake after a long night of drinking no real damage done,
How much it shakes depends on lots of variables- what type of waves, what type of soil, what type of building construction you're in, etc.

I grew up near San Francisco- IIRC, the largest quake I felt was 5.5 but centered down the peninsula. I think it did a lot of damage near Santa Cruz- might've killed some people- and shook the hell out of my shower door (I was showering). I was in a ton of smaller ones where by the time I realized what was going, they were over- more fun/interesting than scary.

But that VA quake... woof. I was in NYC and our apt (concrete and wood frame 5 storey apt building) shook WAY more than anything I ever went through in CA. My wife was at work in a bigger building and didn't feel anything.

NCCommish said:
BobbyLayne said:
NCCommish said:
B-Deep said:

How much it shakes depends on lots of variables- what type of waves, what type of soil, what type of building construction you're in, etc.

I grew up near San Francisco- IIRC, the largest quake I felt was 5.5 but centered down the peninsula. I think it did a lot of damage near Santa Cruz- might've killed some people- and shook the hell out of my shower door (I was showering). I was in a ton of smaller ones where by the time I realized what was going, they were over- more fun/interesting than scary.

But that VA quake... woof. I was in NYC and our apt (concrete and wood frame 5 storey apt building) shook WAY more than anything I ever went through in CA. My wife was at work in a bigger building and didn't feel anything.
You can't recall where you grew up?

When I looked up the magnitude of that quake for my post above I found this:

a magnitude of 5.8 and a maximum perceived intensity of VII (very strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale
Wasn't familiar with the perceived intensity, so looked it up. Here's what they say about a VII... about right...

Difficult to stand. Furniture broken. Damage light in building of good design and construction; slight to moderate in ordinarily built structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken or heavily damaged. Noticed by people driving automobiles.

NCCommish said:
BobbyLayne said:
NCCommish said:
B-Deep said:

:shrug:

you do?

NCCommish said:
BobbyLayne said:
NCCommish said:
B-Deep said:

:shrug:

you do?
Yeah, near Detrioit - IIRC

Woke me up. Takes a second to figure out what's going on, then you just kind of lay there and wait for it to stop. Was back asleep in a minute or so.

Dude made that his twitter profile pick. Solid reaction.

Good video here of the severity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWdAH_ZJ0

Check out how much the water in the glass on the right moves in the second roll.

Edit: what's interesting/weird about both videos is when the newscasters have to shift gears and start reporting on what just happened, in both videos, they go right to the internet. Guy on KTLA is moving his mouse and navigating a screen below the desk, the KTTV crew has laptops open on their set and start looking for news.

Last edited by a moderator:
the largest i have been in were 5.9 & 6.7. i was less than 2 miles from the epicenter of the 5.9. it literally threw me out of bed. that was a seriously scary situation. i was living on the 5th floor of a building built in 1912. gnarly!!

4.0 to 5 makes one sit up in alarm but it's usually just an extremely unsettling shaking/rolling sensation that passes fairly quickly.

on easter, 2010, there was a 7.2 in baja that rolled the ground at my house enough that i felt like i was having a stroke or something, i nearly fell down. and it was 100 miles away.

the largest i have been in were 5.9 & 6.7. i was less than 2 miles from the epicenter of the 5.9. it literally threw me out of bed. that was a seriously scary situation. i was living on the 5th floor of a building built in 1912. gnarly!!

4.0 to 5 makes one sit up in alarm but it's usually just an extremely unsettling shaking/rolling sensation that passes fairly quickly.

on easter, 2010, there was a 7.2 in baja that rolled the ground at my house enough that i felt like i was having a stroke or something, i nearly fell down. and it was 100 miles away.
Yeah...once you get into the 6's #### gets crazy. I read somewhere that this one at 4.4 was 900 times weaker than the Northridge quake which was a 6.7. Goes to show how a few points makes a HUGE difference.
i think it's loosely 10% for every .1

My bucket list includes feeling a real* earthquake and being in a hurricane.

* - About 25 years ago we had a very small quake here in Nebraska that I felt.

Users who are viewing this thread