What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles rams looking to get browns pick? (1 Viewer)

eefflrat

Footballguy
Report: Eagles, Rams interested in No. 4 pick

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Eagles and Rams are both "believed to be" interested in trading up to the Browns' pick at No. 4 overall.

The Plain Dealer gives the Browns a "decent chance" of trading out of No. 4. "At least three or four" clubs drafting in the top 20 have reportedly phoned Cleveland, with St. Louis and Philadelphia thought to be among them. The Eagles could be targeting Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, while the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon. One source told Browns beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot that the Chiefs "would probably not trade up" for Tannehill. It's believed no trade for the No. 4 pick would occur until draft day. Keep in mind the story comes out of Cleveland, and may have been leaked by the Browns to generate interest in the fourth pick.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Apr 13 - 7:24 PM

-----------

As an eagle fan I think it would take a lot to make this move so I don't know how likely this jump could be. Getting our future QB would be great though, but seems they have bigger needs right now. Unless Kalil is the target.

Report: Eagles, Rams interested in No. 4 pick The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Eagles and Rams are both "believed to be" interested in trading up to the Browns' pick at No. 4 overall.The Plain Dealer gives the Browns a "decent chance" of trading out of No. 4. "At least three or four" clubs drafting in the top 20 have reportedly phoned Cleveland, with St. Louis and Philadelphia thought to be among them. The Eagles could be targeting Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, while the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon. One source told Browns beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot that the Chiefs "would probably not trade up" for Tannehill. It's believed no trade for the No. 4 pick would occur until draft day. Keep in mind the story comes out of Cleveland, and may have been leaked by the Browns to generate interest in the fourth pick.Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Apr 13 - 7:24 PM-----------As an eagle fan I think it would take a lot to make this move so I don't know how likely this jump could be. Getting our future QB would be great though, but seems they have bigger needs right now. Unless Kalil is the target.
Am I missing something, 100+ views and no comments??? Was this mentioned elsewhere?

'eefflrat said:
'eefflrat said:
Report: Eagles, Rams interested in No. 4 pick The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Eagles and Rams are both "believed to be" interested in trading up to the Browns' pick at No. 4 overall.The Plain Dealer gives the Browns a "decent chance" of trading out of No. 4. "At least three or four" clubs drafting in the top 20 have reportedly phoned Cleveland, with St. Louis and Philadelphia thought to be among them. The Eagles could be targeting Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, while the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon. One source told Browns beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot that the Chiefs "would probably not trade up" for Tannehill. It's believed no trade for the No. 4 pick would occur until draft day. Keep in mind the story comes out of Cleveland, and may have been leaked by the Browns to generate interest in the fourth pick.Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Apr 13 - 7:24 PM-----------As an eagle fan I think it would take a lot to make this move so I don't know how likely this jump could be. Getting our future QB would be great though, but seems they have bigger needs right now. Unless Kalil is the target.
Am I missing something, 100+ views and no comments??? Was this mentioned elsewhere?
Stunned silence, the Browns need an offensive play maker and trading for more picks makes no sense with 13 picks already in this draft.

It just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Didn't the eagles just give Vick a pretty decent contract? drafting a backup QB (using multiple picks to get) doesn't improve the team.

I could see the Rams wanting Richardson (even though RB isn't a huge concern) but again, its not improving their D which was laughable at best last year. Its also not improving their WRs or OL.

It just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.Didn't the eagles just give Vick a pretty decent contract? drafting a backup QB (using multiple picks to get) doesn't improve the team. I could see the Rams wanting Richardson (even though RB isn't a huge concern) but again, its not improving their D which was laughable at best last year. Its also not improving their WRs or OL.
Eagles can cut Vick at the end of the year with minimal cap ramifications. It is certainly reasonable to think that if Vick can't make it through the year healthily and/or does perform up to par, that the Eagles will move on. They were also supposedly sniffing around Griffin.That said, it could all be a smokescreen and I don't think that it would be a wise move to give up all that for this guy.

If the Rams are so in love with Richardson they should have just worked out a deal with Cleveland. I for one hope Cleveland does not trade the pick to the Rams.

If the Rams are so in love with Richardson they should have just worked out a deal with Cleveland. I for one hope Cleveland does not trade the pick to the Rams.
:goodposting: Rams are not trading with Cleveland- they would have done it the first time around. The difference between the Skins and Browns offers was a 2012 2nd round pick. That is precisely what it will take to move up to #4.

:goodposting: Rams are not trading with Cleveland- they would have done it the first time around. The difference between the Skins and Browns offers was a 2012 2nd round pick. That is precisely what it will take to move up to #4.
Maybe the Big Show was on to something.

The difference between the Skins and Browns picks was St. Louis's new GM told both teams to make their best offer. Washington did Cleveland didn't.

In a "win now" mode, I just can't see the Eagles trading up for Tannehill. I wouldn't mind it, though. Mike Kafka isn't going to be the QB of the future and if Andy Reid and company think Tannehill could be that guy, why not?

'eefflrat said:
'eefflrat said:
Total BS. No chance. Just some random reporter trying to get his/her name out.

The difference between the Skins and Browns picks was St. Louis's new GM told both teams to make their best offer. Washington did Cleveland didn't.
:confused: actually, they both did make their best offer. The Redskins' offer was slightly more.

:confused: actually, they both did make their best offer. The Redskins' offer was slightly more.
I think the story was the Rams gave both teams a deadline to make their best offer. Both made offers. Redskins was better and Rams took it. After that, the Browns tried to jump back in and raise their offer after the deadline.

I think the story was the Rams gave both teams a deadline to make their best offer. Both made offers. Redskins was better and Rams took it. After that, the Browns tried to jump back in and raise their offer after the deadline.
So the Rams declined a better offer in order to stick to an arbitrary deadline they made up? That seems hard to believe.

So the Rams declined a better offer in order to stick to an arbitrary deadline they made up? That seems hard to believe.
It may seem hard to believe but that's what was reported & holmgren confirmed it.

Will it really take a 2nd rounder for Cleveland to move down. I think Cleveland does not care who they get at the 6. They should want to move down. I think maybe Washington 2nd but giving back a 3rd for SL just might do the deal. Maybe a 6th goes to Cleveland also. And thus the deal with Washington is better. Cleveland is sitting there and thinking about Tannehill, Claiborne, Blackmon or Richardson. Do they really care which one they get, than they move down for a reasonable price. Each has been talked about and each helps the team. Than they have 4 picks in top 42. That would be nice for this team. SL is only moving up for Richardson. The other 2 could probably drop anyways.

Why exactly would the Eagles want Tannehill? I think if they trade up to #4, it'd be to take Kalil.
Trading up that much for Tannehill is suicide. I agree, if the Eagles are interested in trading up it's for Kalil. Possibly interested in Claiborne as well. I can't see any way that Tannehill is even in the picture. As for Clev, they need a lot of things. People say a trade down is silly because they already have a lot of picks but they only have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds. If they can move down and pick up another 2nd round pick, they have to entertain that IMO. I don't see much difference between Blackmon and Floyd at this point and they could easily end up with one or the other still. They could also have their pick of the RBs after Richardson. To me the difference is really this; if Clev stays put they can end up with Richardson 1.04, S. Hill 1.22 and Fleener 2.05 type players. If they move down (with Philly) they can end up with Floyd 1.15, J. Martin 1.22, L. Miller 2.05 and D. Allen 2.14.So option 1;Richardson 1.04 S. Hill 1.22Fleener 2.05 Option 2;Floyd 1.15J. Martin 1.22L. Miller 2.05D. Allen 2.14I don't know, what looks better? Tough call if you ask me. I'd probably take option 2 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it really take a 2nd rounder for Cleveland to move down. I think Cleveland does not care who they get at the 6. They should want to move down. I think maybe Washington 2nd but giving back a 3rd for SL just might do the deal. Maybe a 6th goes to Cleveland also. And thus the deal with Washington is better. Cleveland is sitting there and thinking about Tannehill, Claiborne, Blackmon or Richardson. Do they really care which one they get, than they move down for a reasonable price. Each has been talked about and each helps the team. Than they have 4 picks in top 42. That would be nice for this team. SL is only moving up for Richardson. The other 2 could probably drop anyways.
Cleveland has 13 picks. They're not interested in 6th round picks or swapping a 3rd for a 2nd.

Why exactly would the Eagles want Tannehill? I think if they trade up to #4, it'd be to take Kalil.
Trading up that much for Tannehill is suicide. I agree, if the Eagles are interested in trading up it's for Kalil. Possibly interested in Claiborne as well. I can't see any way that Tannehill is even in the picture. As for Clev, they need a lot of things. People say a trade down is silly because they already have a lot of picks but they only have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds. If they can move down and pick up another 2nd round pick, they have to entertain that IMO. I don't see much difference between Blackmon and Floyd at this point and they could easily end up with one or the other still. They could also have their pick of the RBs after Richardson. To me the difference is really this; if Clev stays put they can end up with Richardson 1.04, S. Hill 1.22 and Fleener 2.05 type players. If they move down (with Philly) they can end up with Floyd 1.15, J. Martin 1.22, L. Miller 2.05 and D. Allen 2.14.So option 1;Richardson 1.04 S. Hill 1.22Fleener 2.05 Option 2;Floyd 1.15J. Martin 1.22L. Miller 2.05D. Allen 2.14I don't know, what looks better? Tough call if you ask me. I'd probably take option 2 though.
I doubt that the 2.14 pick is enough to move down from the 4th pick to the 15th pick.

The Eagles value 4 positions in any draft: QB, OT, DE and CB. I don't see a DE worth #4. Claiborne is a possibility only if they trade Asante Samuel to Cleveland in the deal. Kalil is possible but I doubt it based on their depth chart at OT - he would be a backup this year and in the future if Peters comes back full strength in 2013. So if this is true, it would be for Tannehill IMO.

I doubt that the 2.14 pick is enough to move down from the 4th pick to the 15th pick.
It is. I'm sure more would be involved but I was just capturing the 1st 2 rounds of the deal for Clev.

I don't think Floyd will be there at 15.

I'm not sure why this is suprising to anyone.

The first two picks are all but officially in the books.

Minnesota would be making a grave mistake in bypassing Kalil but if for some reason they do it doesn't change the Browns ability to trade-down because a pick with Kalil available is worth more than one where he isn't an option.

Assuming things go in a logical manner the first three picks should be:

1. Colts - Luck

2. Skins - RG III

3. Vikings - Kalil

With three top shelf blue-chip players available for them, CB Claiborne, WR Blackmon, and RB Trent Richardson.

The Browns so happen to have needs at, WR, RB, ORT, which sets the table for them to trade down and still fill one of those needs with a blue-chip prospect.

I think the Rams have a pile of draft picks burning a hole in their pocket and they want to come away from this draft with a blue-chip player to fill an area of need on their team and they can afford to move-up and get the guy they want.

Now if Schefter's tweet is based on something other than Minnesota bluster and if the Vikngs trade-down with Miami who take Tannenhill then the Rams would be on the phone with the Browns to get Kalil. Many teams would be interested in Kalil.

I don't see why the Vikings are unsure about Kalil. It makes no sense to me so I think they stay put and take the best OLT prospect sine Jake Long and that they only thing that could entice them to move-down is if someone like Miami got the hots for a Tannenhill and they offered multiple high picks. Could happen but it doesn't seem likely.

I have a strong feeling that their will be a trade announced when Cleveland is on the clock and the Rams will wind up picking fourth and they will get a WR. Very likely Justin Blackmon.

It just makes too much sense to me and I think it happens.

'eefflrat said:
the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon.
If the Rams are interested in these three guys, then all they need to do is select the one left over at the 6th spot. If all of these guys are gone, then Kalil is there and they are giddy. No way the Rams would move up 2.

'eefflrat said:
the Rams may be eyeing LSU CB Morris Claiborne, Alabama RB Trent Richardson, or Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon.
If the Rams are interested in these three guys, then all they need to do is select the one left over at the 6th spot. If all of these guys are gone, then Kalil is there and they are giddy. No way the Rams would move up 2.
It says "or", meaning they may be eyeing 1 of those 3 guys. I don't think it happens either, just pointing that out.

'eefflrat said:
It says "or", meaning they may be eyeing 1 of those 3 guys. I don't think it happens either, just pointing that out.
All three fill glaring holes on the team. Sure we have SJAX, but we need a RB. They need to sit tight and take whichever one is there at 6 and find a couple more starters with the picks they got for RGIII. Moving up 2 spots when they could've done that by not putting the BS arbitrary deadline on the trade of the 2 is ridiculous.

'eefflrat said:
All three fill glaring holes on the team. Sure we have SJAX, but we need a RB. They need to sit tight and take whichever one is there at 6 and find a couple more starters with the picks they got for RGIII. Moving up 2 spots when they could've done that by not putting the BS arbitrary deadline on the trade of the 2 is ridiculous.
Like I said, I agree that's what they should and almost certainly will do, just pointing out that this "speculation" said they may be eyeing one of those guys. If they really only wanted one of them, then it would make more sense to consider moving up. I don't think they only have their eyes on one of those guys either.

The Rams would not have gotten that offer from the Redskins if it was open bidding and negotiating. Their offer would have been lower, and they would have negotiated upward from there --- perhaps to what they finally offered for Griffin and perhaps not. The Rams figured the way to get the best offer was to give each team only one shot at it. It worked for the Redskins -- they made their best offer. Cleveland botched it.

The Rams would not have gotten that offer from the Redskins if it was open bidding and negotiating. Their offer would have been lower, and they would have negotiated upward from there --- perhaps to what they finally offered for Griffin and perhaps not. The Rams figured the way to get the best offer was to give each team only one shot at it. It worked for the Redskins -- they made their best offer. Cleveland botched it.
I still don't understand Fisher's logic behind taking the Skins deal over the Cleveland deal. I would rather have the 22 pick this year and a #2 next year rather than a #1 in 2014 and a #2 this year and iirc that's what he said pushed the Skins deal over the top. That's the part I don't get.

I still don't understand Fisher's logic behind taking the Skins deal over the Cleveland deal. I would rather have the 22 pick this year and a #2 next year rather than a #1 in 2014 and a #2 this year and iirc that's what he said pushed the Skins deal over the top. That's the part I don't get.
If it was not a one-bid-only situation, neither Cleveland nor Washington would have bid that much. The Rams then would have spent more time going back and forth with 2 teams, waiting to see if each would keep upping its offer. There's no guaranteed that the Rams would have ended up with what they got from Washington.So they made it one-bid-only to up the pressure on the Browns and Redskins, took little time, got extremely high bids, and kept their word with each team.

That wasn't my point. My point was Cleveland bid this years 4, 22, next years 1, and next years 2. The Rams bid this years 1, next years 1 + 2, and 2014's 1. So basically both teams offered 3 #1's and a #2. And the Rams chose the #1 in 2014 + pick 38 this year over pick 22 this year and a #2 next year. Does the difference between Cleveland's 2013 #2 (which will probably be high) and Washington's 2014 #1 really not bridge the 14 pick difference this year? That's the part I don't get.

I don't buy this re: the Eagles for a second.

It would take a ton to move up from 15 to 4. I just don't see it even being in discussion. The Browns and Eagles are close knit franchises with lots of history together, they talk all the time.

Since I love to waste time speculating about draft...

The Eagles enquiry about the draft pick could have been more of a probe to gauge Cleveland interest in the Tannehill. If they feel like Cleveland will pass on Tannehill, he could fall to the Jags at 7.

Jags would also like to trade down and could hold the pick for the highest bidder (Philly, KC and Miami). In the end, I think they could successfully extort an extra pick from the Dolphins to move down one spot.

This isn't the first time I've heard about the Eagles possibly trading up to get Tannehill. Sorry, not buying it for a second. They signed Vick to a multi-million

dollar deal, and although he has trouble staying healthy, he IS their franchise QB for years to come. Why on Earth would they give up a ton of picks to move up to

nab a backup QB? Makes zero sense.

This isn't the first time I've heard about the Eagles possibly trading up to get Tannehill. Sorry, not buying it for a second. They signed Vick to a multi-milliondollar deal, and although he has trouble staying healthy, he IS their franchise QB for years to come. Why on Earth would they give up a ton of picks to move up tonab a backup QB? Makes zero sense.
Did I hear right that he's an easy cut anytime after this year?

This isn't the first time I've heard about the Eagles possibly trading up to get Tannehill. Sorry, not buying it for a second. They signed Vick to a multi-milliondollar deal, and although he has trouble staying healthy, he IS their franchise QB for years to come. Why on Earth would they give up a ton of picks to move up tonab a backup QB? Makes zero sense.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/more-vick-contract-details/
After year two, when all of the fully guaranteed money has been paid, it will be easy for the Eagles to walk away. In 2013, they’d take a pre-June 1 cap hit of $4.2 million. In 2014, the pre-June 1 cap hit would be $2.8 million. After June 1, they’d split a $1.4 million cap charge over 2014 and 2015.The deal essentially guarantees Vick the franchise tag amount for 2011, 2012, and a slice of 2013 (injury only), with no real guarantees beyond that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/more-vick-contract-details/
After year two, when all of the fully guaranteed money has been paid, it will be easy for the Eagles to walk away. In 2013, they’d take a pre-June 1 cap hit of $4.2 million. In 2014, the pre-June 1 cap hit would be $2.8 million. After June 1, they’d split a $1.4 million cap charge over 2014 and 2015.The deal essentially guarantees Vick the franchise tag amount for 2011, 2012, and a slice of 2013 (injury only), with no real guarantees beyond that.
Then their interest in Tannehill isn't a stretch at all. Or at least it's nice of Heckertt's old buddies to aid in the smoke screen being sent to Miami.

That wasn't my point. My point was Cleveland bid this years 4, 22, next years 1, and next years 2. The Rams bid this years 1, next years 1 + 2, and 2014's 1. So basically both teams offered 3 #1's and a #2. And the Rams chose the #1 in 2014 + pick 38 this year over pick 22 this year and a #2 next year. Does the difference between Cleveland's 2013 #2 (which will probably be high) and Washington's 2014 #1 really not bridge the 14 pick difference this year? That's the part I don't get.
Cleveland didn't offer the 2nd round pick until bidding had closed and it was too late. The Rams have stated that they valued the future #1 picks as 1.15 selections. Assuming that the Rams are like most teams in that they don't devalue future 1st round picks, here's the breakdown:Browns offer:1.041.151.22Redskins offer:1.061.151.152.06Browns 1.04 = Redskins 1.06 + 2.06Browns 1.15 = Redskins 1.15Redskins 1.15 > Browns 1.22As you can see, the Redskins had a slightly better offer. Had Cleveland offered the 2013 2nd round pick orginally, or had the Redskins offered anything less, St. Louis would have done the deal with the Browns instead.

Cleveland didn't offer the 2nd round pick until bidding had closed and it was too late. The Rams have stated that they valued the future #1 picks as 1.15 selections. Assuming that the Rams are like most teams in that they don't devalue future 1st round picks, here's the breakdown:Browns offer:1.041.151.22Redskins offer:1.061.151.152.06Browns 1.04 = Redskins 1.06 + 2.06Browns 1.15 = Redskins 1.15Redskins 1.15 > Browns 1.22As you can see, the Redskins had a slightly better offer. Had Cleveland offered the 2013 2nd round pick orginally, or had the Redskins offered anything less, St. Louis would have done the deal with the Browns instead.
The Browns didn't offer a future #2? Thought for sure we did...

Holmgren never did say what was offered. I think you can reasonably guess that the future 2nd wasn't offered until the deadline had passed.
But while Holmgren claimed that the Browns made “every bit the offer” that the Rams accepted from the Redskins, Holmgren didn’t disclose the terms. Was it three first-round picks and a second-round pick? Or was it some other package that Holmgren believes the Rams should have regarded as equivalent?

Peter King of SI.com reports via Twitter that Rams G.M. Les Snead instructed instructed teams to make their best offer. The Redskins did and the Browns did. Then, the Browns wanted to make another offer, but the Rams had already decided to accept what the Redskins had offered.
link

Holmgren never did say what was offered. I think you can reasonably guess that the future 2nd wasn't offered until the deadline had passed.
But while Holmgren claimed that the Browns made “every bit the offer” that the Rams accepted from the Redskins, Holmgren didn’t disclose the terms. Was it three first-round picks and a second-round pick? Or was it some other package that Holmgren believes the Rams should have regarded as equivalent?

Peter King of SI.com reports via Twitter that Rams G.M. Les Snead instructed instructed teams to make their best offer. The Redskins did and the Browns did. Then, the Browns wanted to make another offer, but the Rams had already decided to accept what the Redskins had offered.
link
I had heard we offered the future 2 and when told we lost the deal we tried to add the current one too.

If I am a dolphin GM I let all these teams move up and not do a thing. Tannehill is a stretch at 8, why overpay more to get him. The fan base aint coming back because of Tannehill. At that point, they should move down as well and take a RT and a safety and look to the second tier of QBs in this draft.

Users who are viewing this thread