What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles DT Mike Patterson collapses on field today (1 Viewer)

Sweet Love

IBL Representative
As per Yahoo:

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP)—Eagles defensive tackle Mike Patterson(notes) has been taken to a hospital after collapsing at a training camp practice at Lehigh University.

Patterson dropped to the ground between plays during practice Wednesday morning, and the player began violently shaking. He was immediately tended to by trainer Rick Burkholder and his staff, with assistance from rookie offensive lineman Danny Watkins(notes), a trained firefighter.

As players kneeled nearby, holding hands and praying, an ambulance arrived and Patterson was placed on a stretcher and lifted into the ambulance.

The team had no immediate comment on Patterson’s condition.

Patterson, 28, was the Eagles’ first-round pick out of USC in 2005. He’s started 84 games and played in 95, the most of anybody on the current roster.

Practice resumed after about 15 minutes.

I hope he is doing well. The heat we have been experiencing in the East coupled with the fact that these guys have been jammed into camps with little ramp-up, may have this not being an exception, but a common occurance over the next week. I hope not...

I just saw this was mentioned in the Philly Eagles 2011 thread, and it does sound like he is OK. I do wonder though, whether this will be a more common occurance than we have seen in the past (which honestly, is too common) due to the extreme heat and the short ramp-up to camp.

Bad news for Patterson. Tests show potential life threatening and career ending brain disorder.Mike Patterson is suffering from AVM
Wow, terrible news. Prayers for him.
All in all, it's great news they found it. Completely fixable, and while seizures are certainly frightening/concerning, the fact that the seizure prompted imagine which revealed the AVM...this gets the ball rolling to correct it and disentangle those vessels.

cobalt- I had the same reaction when I heard the news on the radio earlier. Pretty sure they said he should be able to play again, though likely not this season. Also said radiation could be an option.

ETA "Burkholder said the Eagles are consulting with doctors at Philadelphia's Thomas Jefferson University Hospital who use a less-invasive procedure for treating AVM. The procedure, called endovascular coiling, involves the surgeon guiding a catheter though the arterial network until the tip of the catheter reaches the site of the AVM. The surgeon then introduces a substance that will plug the fistula, correcting the abnormal pattern of blood flow."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6832833/mike-patterson-philadelphia-eagles-tangle-blood-vessels-skull

Last edited by a moderator:
cobalt- I had the same reaction when I heard the news on the radio earlier. Pretty sure they said he should be able to play again, though likely not this season. Also said radiation could be an option.ETA "Burkholder said the Eagles are consulting with doctors at Philadelphia's Thomas Jefferson University Hospital who use a less-invasive procedure for treating AVM. The procedure, called endovascular coiling, involves the surgeon guiding a catheter though the arterial network until the tip of the catheter reaches the site of the AVM. The surgeon then introduces a substance that will plug the fistula, correcting the abnormal pattern of blood flow."http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6832833/mike-patterson-philadelphia-eagles-tangle-blood-vessels-skull
Wow seriously??? Thats redic...a coach died here a couple of days ago...collapsed and died on the field...another one had seizures yesterday. Its getting WAYYYY too hot out there.

Users who are viewing this thread