What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Probably not enough, but also not something I'll know until April. I won a league with a QB depth chart that may all be without starting jobs next season. My goal is to acquire a non-Lawrence rookie at pick 2.4 and find a cheap vet to bridge the gap. I'll re-evaluate if I'm not optimistic about the rookie landing spots. I'm fine waiting because I don't imagine the market rate for QB's changes between now and then. If anything as rookie fever takes over I may be able to acquire such a QB cheaper.
This is where I'm at.  

I'm in a 1 QB league, went into the season with Ryan and Goff.  Picked up Tua in the draft (ahead of Herbert :(  ).  

Wound up picking up Trubisky off waivers for the Championship and he got me there.  

Goff is  bad.  Ryan is up and down.  And Tua...doesn't look like he's it.  

Hoping to strike a deal but most guys seem to be expecting a premium on a QB.  I was asked for Tyreke Hill or Ridley or McLaurin+ for Watson, and was told it would be close to the same for Herbert (same owner).  

So basically waiting.  Hoping as you said, people get a little pick happy closer to the draft. 

Here’s the 1st round of DLF’s January startup ADP. It’s interesting.

Round 1:

1. McCaffrey

2. Kamara

3. Taylor

4. Barkley

5. Metcalf

6. Adams

7. Cook

8. Swift

9. Jefferson

10. AJ Brown

11. Hill

12. Henry

Concept Coop said:
Even before the injury to Burrow I liked Herbert more by a solid margin.

I’d have to see what Lawrence’s ADP looks like to answer for Burrow, as I prefer the former. If I had make the call without that information, I’d probably trade ~the 2.02 for Burrow today, if I really needed a QB. 

Herbert is a top 5 dynasty QB for me. I’d have no problem paying the 1.08 for him right now. Maybe a bit more, depending on what things look like closer to rookie drafts. I’m sold.
Yes, that's a factor as well as I could always use one of those first to take Lawrence if I want a QB. 

Concept Coop said:

Round 1:

1. McCaffrey

2. Kamara

3. Taylor

4. Barkley

5. Metcalf

6. Adams

7. Cook

8. Swift

9. Jefferson

10. AJ Brown

11. Hill

12. Henry
None really jump out at me as being overly aggressive draft slots - I'd really look to trade down if I had the 1.01. I love McCaffrey of course, and I know one year of constantly being banged up isn't necessarily predictive - but it worries me of course.

Concept Coop said:

Round 1:

1. McCaffrey

2. Kamara

3. Taylor

4. Barkley

5. Metcalf

6. Adams

7. Cook

8. Swift

9. Jefferson

10. AJ Brown

11. Hill

12. Henry
Swift is too high. I love him as a player and talent, but what if Stafford leaves? Detroit is just a badly run organization. No way he should be ahead of Henry. 

Concept Coop said:
Here’s how I’d draft them today, with about 20 minutes notice.  PPR, 1QB.

T1 - Taylor, Jefferson

T2 - Swift, Lamb, Higgins, Dobbins, Gibson, Robinson

T3 - CEH, Akers, Aiyuk, Claypool

T4 - Herbert, Dillon

T5 - Jeudy, Davis, Raegor, Shenault, Pittman, Moss, Ruggs, Burrow, Mooney

T6 - Mimms, Hurts, Tua, Bowden

Edit: Added tier break after Claypool. Order unchanged.
Thanks for posting this list. You seem relatively high on Dillon and low on Tua, can you comment on your thoughts on them?

Thanks for posting this list. You seem relatively high on Dillon and low on Tua, can you comment on your thoughts on them?
I just don’t see anything that stands out with Tua. He has an average arm, average athleticism, he’s a bit of a game manager, and he’s short. He’s smart and he’s accurate, but I see a better football player than fantasy asset. He could be Drew Brees, but I wouldn’t count on that. 

The draft capital and situation warrant Dillon’s placement, IMO. I think he’ll be the 1A in a two man group, if I had to guess. Something like Zack Moss without Allen vulturing  TDs. They like him, but will probably target a compliment with more receiving ability.  

I just don’t see anything that stands out with Tua. He has an average arm, average athleticism, he’s a bit of a game manager, and he’s short. He’s smart and he’s accurate, but I see a better football player than fantasy asset. He could be Drew Brees, but I wouldn’t count on that. 

The draft capital and situation warrant Dillon’s placement, IMO. I think he’ll be the 1A in a two man group, if I had to guess. Something like Zack Moss without Allen vulturing  TDs. They like him, but will probably target a compliment with more receiving ability.  
Yep, I'm expecting a Mike Davis or Malcolm Brown type.

Good list overall. I’d probably have Moss a tier higher, just behind Dillon. I watched him a lot this year and he just seems better than Singletary in every way. He’s clearly the goal line back, and it appears the Bills want him to be the 1A. He’d be a guy I’d be targeting in dynasty. 

How does a coaching change for the Chargers affect your ranking/view of Herbert?  Lynn didn't get it done from a team perspective but Herbert had a great rookie year under him.  A change may not be the best thing for him, or it may enable him to take the next step.

jm192 said:
Picked up Tua in the draft (ahead of Herbert :(  ). 

I was asked for Tyreke Hill or Ridley or McLaurin+ for Watson, and was told it would be close to the same for Herbert (same owner). 
Don't beat yourself up too badly on that draft pick, 100% of everyone in dynasty had Herbert behind Burrow and Tua, and many said he shouldn't be drafted until the 3rd round of 1QB leagues.  He literally came out of nowhere.

That said, the Herbert owner is ####### off his rocker if he thinks that the kid is worth any of the guys you mentioned above.  Do yourself a favor and go get Cousins or Brady.

How does a coaching change for the Chargers affect your ranking/view of Herbert?  Lynn didn't get it done from a team perspective but Herbert had a great rookie year under him.  A change may not be the best thing for him, or it may enable him to take the next step.
I'm more concerned that the relationship with the QB coach is over.  Herbert raved about him and Lynn, it's very much up in the air as to whether or not a new coaching staff will be able to nurture him correctly.  See also: Mayfield, Baker

Concept Coop said:

Round 1:

1. McCaffrey

2. Kamara

3. Taylor

4. Barkley

5. Metcalf

6. Adams

7. Cook

8. Swift

9. Jefferson

10. AJ Brown

11. Hill

12. Henry
This list reeks of What Have You Done For Me Lately

No way Taylor should be #3, top 12 is pushing it.  I love Jefferson's season, but it's ludicrous to have him above Hill.

Metcalf should be closer to 12 than 5 and I love him.   No way he's the WR1, though. 

Dr. Octopus said:
What would be the highest 2021 pick people would be willing to pay for Justin Hebert in a 1QB league? I know conventional wisdom is to not pay a premium price for a QB in dynasty (non-superflex) but having a set it and forget it option is always nice.

I made the playoffs in this particular league despite trading assets all season. I started garbage and stop gap QBs all season (Jimmy G, Sam Darnold, Taysom Hill and Daniel Jones).

I now own the 1.06, 1.07, 1.08 and 1.10 and I'm willing to move at least the 1.10 for Hebert.

I'm not trying to turn this into a AC topic - so generally speaking what do you think these young successful QBs like Hebert or Burrow are worth?
I'm a huge Herbert fan, but the reason I do well in FF is because I take the emotion out of it when evaluating players. In a 1 QB, non-superflex, QB's generally aren't all that valuable, although you would know your specific league best. Considering your situation I would part with the #10, but would likely hold off on any of the others due to the very real possibility that you'll be able to get Lawrence with one of them.

Change is always an uncertainty, until we find out who it is I would put it at roughly 75/25 that it's a positive. Lynn was awful, IMO Herbert excelled in spite of him.

I was substantially lower on him than most, but I suspect future me would rather draft whatever '21 rookie WR is highest on my board at that price. 

You'll be hard pressed to find an owner willing to give up on him that cheaply.
Well, this is the rub isn't it?

Buyers aren't that impressed and sellers want to recoup their sunk cost.

He's available in a non-ppr league where I have picks 8, 10, 12, 13, 14. After my initial eyebrow raise, I don't know that I would want him more than the rookies that will be available there. He was drafted at 7 and his value certainly hasn't gone UP.

Last edited by a moderator:

No way Taylor should be #3, top 12 is pushing it.  I love Jefferson's season, but it's ludicrous to have him above Hill.

Metcalf should be closer to 12 than 5 and I love him.   No way he's the WR1, though. 
I think it comes down to risk tolerance. The upside with Jefferson and Metcalf is that they give you what Hill does - for an extra 4 or 5 years. I think the reward justifies the risk, personally.

Could be Jamaal Williams if he stays, but another interesting name could be James White, who went to the University of Wisconsin.

Could be Jamaal Williams if he stays, but another interesting name could be James White, who went to the University of Wisconsin.
White would be a great fit with Dillon...I have had him penciled in to join Brady in Tampa but Brady may only have one year left so maybe White looks longer term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, to each their own. But Henry just averaged 23 ppg in PPR this year. And his situation is a lot more stable than Swifts. 
Joe, Henry has 20.07 ppg in PPR at end of week 16 in my leagues. I don't count week 17 but even if you do that puts him up to 20.94. Maybe you have some league that has 100/200 yard bonus?

Couldn't agree more. I love Taylor but #3 is...um...aggressive. Jefferson I don't think is ludicrous because what he did was historic and I personally have some concern with speed guys like Hill as they get older moreso than other WR profiles, but generally I agree. Metcalf for me is the one that stands out - I know he's consistently being ranked this high but I just cannot wrap my head around it at all. If I owned Metcalf anywhere, I'd be selling him for a haul as fast as I could - not because I don't think he's good, but IMO he has some more questions marks than some others here (and below). 

Joe, Henry has 20.07 ppg in PPR at end of week 16 in my leagues. I don't count week 17 but even if you do that puts him up to 20.94. Maybe you have some league that has 100/200 yard bonus?
Yeah, bonus points for over 100 for sure. I’m not sure about 200 yard bonuses.

Well, this is the rub isn't it?

Buyers aren't that impressed and sellers want to recoup their sunk cost.

He's available in a non-ppr league where I have picks 8, 10, 12, 13, 14. After my initial eyebrow raise, I don't know that I would want him more than the rookies that will be available there. He was drafted at 7 and his value certainly hasn't gone UP.
Amazing what one play will do - I suspect that 92 yard TD will just help to sustain his value over the offseason a bit - i.e. people saw that glimpse and now they can project the ceiling they had in mind before. Not rational, but that's how it works.

I had Jeudy nowhere near my top WRs at rookie draft time so he's a big shoulder shrug for me. His cost will likely always be too high for me but that's personal preference. 

Amazing what one play will do - I suspect that 92 yard TD will just help to sustain his value over the offseason a bit - i.e. people saw that glimpse and now they can project the ceiling they had in mind before. Not rational, but that's how it works.

I had Jeudy nowhere near my top WRs at rookie draft time so he's a big shoulder shrug for me. His cost will likely always be too high for me but that's personal preference. 
I like Jeudy as a buy low and I got to say that 92 yard TD has zero do to do with it and I"d be honestly surprised if that was much of a factor for people.

Bit of a weird one here - but how are you gauging Myles Gaskin's dynasty value? Doesn't have the draft capital of other guys around his age range, but just put up a pretty productive season with 142 totes for 584 rush yds and 3 TDs, along with 41 rec for 388 yds and 2 TDs... in 10 games. Very nice floor in PPR too - his lowest point total on the season was 9.2 in full PPR. He's shown he can handle a pretty big workload this season, despite not having much competition for carries.

To me, Gaskin has looked good enough to carry the load next year, but the Dolphins could easily take another back in the draft this year. Knowing this, I feel like it's hard to get "fair" value back for Gaskin, as no one seems to respect his production this season.

How are we feeling about this guy in dynasty?

I like Jeudy as a buy low and I got to say that 92 yard TD has zero do to do with it and I"d be honestly surprised if that was much of a factor for people.
yeah maybe I was exaggerating a bit - for most people probably not. But sometimes a player just needs something positive to sustain value in an otherwise ordinary season and that's going to be the last thing people remember with Jeudy, not the 5 drops in one game or whatever it was. I mean Twitter absolutely blew up after that play. 

Bit of a weird one here - but how are you gauging Myles Gaskin's dynasty value? Doesn't have the draft capital of other guys around his age range, but just put up a pretty productive season with 142 totes for 584 rush yds and 3 TDs, along with 41 rec for 388 yds and 2 TDs... in 10 games. Very nice floor in PPR too - his lowest point total on the season was 9.2 in full PPR. He's shown he can handle a pretty big workload this season, despite not having much competition for carries.

To me, Gaskin has looked good enough to carry the load next year, but the Dolphins could easily take another back in the draft this year. Knowing this, I feel like it's hard to get "fair" value back for Gaskin, as no one seems to respect his production this season.

For me he's a really tough call. On balance I think he's worth targeting now because my sense is that the Dolphins aren't inclined to spend valuable capital on a big name RB, either in the draft or FA. I'd estimate there's a greater than 50% chance he's starting next year and the main part of a committee. If you wait until things are clearer he will obviously cost more, so it might make sense if you're RB needy to see if you can get him for a 2nd rounder. It's not much different to targeting Mostert last offseason I guess. 

The other side of it is that it's a short term play - his profile wouldn't suggest he'll hold a starting job for long - but at RB maybe that's ok. It's mostly a short-term position anyway. 

yeah maybe I was exaggerating a bit - for most people probably not. But sometimes a player just needs something positive to sustain value in an otherwise ordinary season and that's going to be the last thing people remember with Jeudy, not the 5 drops in one game or whatever it was. I mean Twitter absolutely blew up after that play. 
Weird NFL Sunday for me yesterday, one of few times I paid NFL Sunday no mind so am factoring in next to no stuff from yesterday. Maybe you are right and some people are impacted by recency bias but that long play and the almost flukey long TD he had  earlier in the year when he jumped over a guy and took the ball away for a long TD, I think against the Jets, also impacted me next to nothing. Mainly because I don't think winning contested catches or catching long TD bombs is his strong suit so for those were just random plays he made but meant little for with respect to his outlook.

As odd as this sounds I was actually more encouraged by Juedy's miserable drop filled game last week.   The drops were a huge issue  for sure but I liked that Lock was going to him often but more then that I liked that Jeudy was getting open at will. Obviously he stunk at catching the ball that game but that to me mattered way more then any long TD because that game I saw the traits that made me like him in the first place, mainly being a superb route runner and getting open.

. If I owned Metcalf anywhere, I'd be selling him for a haul as fast as I could - not because I don't think he's good, but IMO he has some more questions marks than some others here (and below). 
What questions do you have about Metcalf? I think he answered the biggest one heading into the NFL, being able to run routes. He’s far from the smoothest at it but he can separate short when needed.

For me he's a really tough call. On balance I think he's worth targeting now because my sense is that the Dolphins aren't inclined to spend valuable capital on a big name RB, either in the draft or FA. I'd estimate there's a greater than 50% chance he's starting next year and the main part of a committee. If you wait until things are clearer he will obviously cost more, so it might make sense if you're RB needy to see if you can get him for a 2nd rounder. It's not much different to targeting Mostert last offseason I guess. 

The other side of it is that it's a short term play - his profile wouldn't suggest he'll hold a starting job for long - but at RB maybe that's ok. It's mostly a short-term position anyway. 
As a Gaskin owner I think it's gonna be hard to get fair value back, unless I package him with a shinier toy... so might be best to hold on to him. Guys like Gaskin are never appreciated the way they should be, and I agree that the Dolphins will probably want to spend their draft capital a receiver, a lineman, and maybe some good defensive pieces. But there is a chance they could take a RB in the first 3 rounds which would muddy the waters. Flores seems like he wants to stick with one guy at RB, for what it's worth.

What questions do you have about Metcalf? I think he answered the biggest one heading into the NFL, being able to run routes. He’s far from the smoothest at it but he can separate short when needed.
There are a few things I suppose - one is the nature of the offense, which is less about Metcalf as a player. Carroll will always want to run the ball - I mean, they throttled back Wilson's passing back significantly in the second half of the season and that take s lot of potential production off the table. Then you have the presence of Lockett, who seemed to randomly alternate #1 WR weeks with Metcalf, and it just feels like a less than ideal situation. Of course, if consistency isn't something that's important to you (and I think that's valid), then it's fine. The ceiling might be worth chasing. 

Looking at Metcalf's production, he's always been quite TD dependent, and he went with the offense and really tailed off in the second half too. I do think that some of that is NFL defences figuring out how to nullify him a bit, which I think can be done more successfully than with some other high end WRs. That concerns me a little. 

More generally, I just don't see how in a ranking or ADP sense why he should be in a tier above any number of other productive, young WRs. There are plenty of options and to me, it's not clear that Metcalf gives you any advantage that is worth the extra cost. Yes he had a great year, and he should be valuable, but where he is being ranked just doesn't make much sense to me given the other options in the same range. 

There are a few things I suppose - one is the nature of the offense, which is less about Metcalf as a player. Carroll will always want to run the ball - I mean, they throttled back Wilson's passing back significantly in the second half of the season and that take s lot of potential production off the table. Then you have the presence of Lockett, who seemed to randomly alternate #1 WR weeks with Metcalf, and it just feels like a less than ideal situation. Of course, if consistency isn't something that's important to you (and I think that's valid), then it's fine. The ceiling might be worth chasing. 

Looking at Metcalf's production, he's always been quite TD dependent, and he went with the offense and really tailed off in the second half too. I do think that some of that is NFL defences figuring out how to nullify him a bit, which I think can be done more successfully than with some other high end WRs. That concerns me a little. 

More generally, I just don't see how in a ranking or ADP sense why he should be in a tier above any number of other productive, young WRs. There are plenty of options and to me, it's not clear that Metcalf gives you any advantage that is worth the extra cost. Yes he had a great year, and he should be valuable, but where he is being ranked just doesn't make much sense to me given the other options in the same range. 
There’s many valid points in here. I think the high ranking is based on upside in becoming an even better route runner and or Carroll realizing he doesn’t have his defense of a few years ago and were looking better when they “let Russ cook”. I love him but probably agree that he’s not worth the inflated price tag when you can get just as much upside in Round 2.

I’m sure him looking like Tarzan infatuates some people as well.

There’s many valid points in here. I think the high ranking is based on upside in becoming an even better route runner and or Carroll realizing he doesn’t have his defense of a few years ago and were looking better when they “let Russ cook”. I love him but probably agree that he’s not worth the inflated price tag when you can get just as much upside in Round 2.

I’m sure him looking like Tarzan infatuates some people as well.
I'm sure this is part of it!

Concept Coop said:

Round 1:

1. McCaffrey

2. Kamara

3. Taylor

4. Barkley

5. Metcalf

6. Adams

7. Cook

8. Swift

9. Jefferson

10. AJ Brown

11. Hill

12. Henry
No way would I take Swift over 9-12 listed there. 

Yeah I've been toying with putting him in the buy low category and that TD didn't change that. It didn't hurt. It was a beautiful play by the way.

Yeah, to each their own. But Henry just averaged 23 ppg in PPR this year. And his situation is a lot more stable than Swifts. 
I think that was the peak of the bell curve as he's going into his age 27 season - happy birthday btw Mr. Henry. I think it's fair to expect him to perform better in 2021, but I wouldn't be surprised if Swift bests him. January 4th may be too soon to make the swap in rankings, but 4 months from now I might.

If I had a team in need of a bridge starter (I don't) I'd try to buy him now. I'd be very surprised if they don't add to the RB room, but I'm thinking more of a top 100 draft pick type and not a top 50. The sorta guy that probably wouldn't unseat him in 2021, but could eventually.

I think that was the peak of the bell curve as he's going into his age 27 season - happy birthday btw Mr. Henry. I think it's fair to expect him to perform better in 2021, but I wouldn't be surprised if Swift bests him. January 4th may be too soon to make the swap in rankings, but 4 months from now I might.
I would but I don't think it's a bad call to take Swift over Henry in a startup. Henry is my boy and I have him everywhere but I wouldn't be buying him in a startup. Despite saying I think he can have elite longevity. I'll take that bet with my other shares. 

Wow, I must have just completely missed the boat on Swift... hard to believe the optimism being discussed here recently...

Users who are viewing this thread