What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty - Turning down Ray Rice for the rookie 1.01 (1 Viewer)

jwb

Footballguy
Actually, it was Rice and Miles Austin for 1.1 and 2.1. I turned it down. I'm sure most will think I was insane.

My reasoning was multi-faceted.

I play in 9 dynasty leagues, with teams all over the map - some are great, some are good, one is up and coming, and one just earned the 1.1. I play in so many because, like many of you, sometimes I can't ignore the pull of a new startup draft (getting better at ignoring this, though). But I also like having different players and trying different things.

I own Rice and Miles in a few leagues. I'll own Richardson in exactly one. So that's part of it. I'd like to own Trent somewhere.

The second part is there's just something there that makes me uneasy. I like both players, but Rice, including college, has a major workload under his belt. We can debate wear and tear all day, but I'm really not interested in doing such (my mind won't change). Just, in three years, will I be happy / regret turning this down? Unsure, but I lean towards me being happy that I stayed with 1.1. If it was McCoy over Rice, I'd probably make the trade, despite wanting Trent.

Just wondering what others feel about "value", and do you always make the trade when the "value" says you should make it? Or are there possible (even illogical) reasons you may hold fast?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the case of this trade, the value is so much higher in what you're getting that i dont see how u could even turn it down

Actually, it was Rice and Miles Austin for 1.1 and 2.1. I turned it down. I'm sure most will think I was insane.

I play in 9 dynasty leagues, with teams all over the map - some are great, some are good, one is up and coming, and one just earned the 1.1. I play in so many because, like many of you, sometimes I can't ignore the pull of a new startup draft (getting better at ignoring this, though). But I also like having different players and trying different things.

I own Rice and Miles in a few leagues. I'll own Richardson in exactly one. So that's part of it. I'd like to own Trent somewhere.

The second part is there's just something there that makes me uneasy. I like both players, but Rice, including college, has a major workload under his belt. We can debate wear and tear all day, but I'm really not interested in doing such (my mind won't change). Just, in three years, will I be happy / regret turning this down? Unsure, but I lean towards me being happy that I stayed with 1.1. If it was McCoy over Rice, I'd probably make the trade, despite wanting Trent.

Just wondering what others feel about "value", and do you always make the trade when the "value" says you should make it? Or are there possible (even illogical) reasons you may hold fast?
I think u need to go back to that owner, beg for forgiveness and let him know u had a moment of weakness and please resend that offer.If richardson is even a little better than rrice(which is VERY debatable imo), you still lose this deal by a good margin. I get falling in love with someone and wanting them no matter what the price, but this just isn't the price.

I have actually been working on an article about a similar topic to this thought. Although many of us create our own rankings or use someone else's that we trust- sometimes trade values and positional rankings are not the same and do not match each other.

I think u need to go back to that owner, beg for forgiveness and let him know u had a moment of weakness and please resend that offer.If richardson is even a little better than rrice(which is VERY debatable imo), you still lose this deal by a good margin. I get falling in love with someone and wanting them no matter what the price, but this just isn't the price.
And what if Richardson gets drafted by KC??? There is risk in acquiring him predraft for a sure thing.

Probably not thread worthy, but no way would I turn down Rice&Austin for 1.1/2.1 in a PPR league.
I knew I'd get hammered - that's a given. That's not the point (you misunderstand - I'm not really looking to discuss the value of this particular non-trade). It was that I have seemingly illogical reasons for turning it down, and I'm ok w/ that, and wanted to see if that's common, or perhaps I'm just insane. :)

I have made similar decisions on both ends. Although I am sure I am in the minority I typically target guys I enjoy rooting for versus always taking "value". Best part of this hobby is having fun and taking risks IMO.

Think it depends how big a trader you are and how trade heavy your league is. Even if u don't really like rice, I know most do and id turn rice and Austin around for something I like better and worth more than Trent.

Take it to the AC forum guy.
Been around here long enough to know this. You're missing the point. It's more or less a dynasty value discussion, and why would someone turn down a trade that appears to be a no-brainer. That was my hope, anyway. :mellow:

I like Richardson more then rice, but miles much more then 2.01.

Still I understand your reasoning and would likely keep Richardson myself as he is much younger with a lot less wear then rrice.

Rice had tons of carries in college and will probably wear down around age 27-28.

I know everyone will read this and look at my post count and say "this guy is a toolbox" but I think I would keep the picks, especially if this is one of your weaker dynasties. In my opinion this decision depends entirely on where Richardson lands. I've read recent mocks that have him slipping to Cincy. If that happens I could certainly see him being an elite fantasy back next year and many years to come. If he goes to Tampa I'd much prefer Rice. I'd also rather have the 2.1 than Miles Austin. I just think Richardson is the most talented backs I've ever seen, and if you don't get him now you probably never will.

You screwed up. Rice is a durable and all around player. And Miles is far better than any player you will get at 2.1.

I think alot of people are missing the OP's point.

I play in a ton of leagues, and try very hard to not let one league's roster affect my decisions in another.

It's in scenarios that are at the other end of the spectrum where I don't take the value in trades on occasions. If I have rostered someone at the low end, I'm not going to take say a mid round rookie pick to move them. I'd prefer to stick to my guns, having done the work based on research and analysis to stand pat with the players as opposed to cashing them in for picks. Guys in vogue for this season seem to be David Gettis, Baron Batch, Brandon Saine, Chad Spann, DJ Smith to name a few. I'd much rather reward my patience and faith in their ability by keeping them to breakout instead of cashing them in now for a price which would be better value than I paid for them

I'm not sure what the other guy is thinking.

I'd wait to see what team Richardson goes to.

I think alot of people are missing the OP's point. I play in a ton of leagues, and try very hard to not let one league's roster affect my decisions in another.
I agree with this. Its your team. Run it the way you want to. If you prefer to root for Trent Richardson next year, by all means do so. Face value, you would have "won" the trade by making it. However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you look back on this trade a year from today, and think you made the correct decision. I know you didn't want to turn this into a workload discussion, but the fact is, is that Rice will be 26 this season, and already has 2100+ touches between college and the pros. Richardson is 20 years old right now and has about 500 carries and receptions combined. It's very possible Rice's value a year from now will be much the same as MJD's is right now.

I think alot of people are missing the OP's point. I play in a ton of leagues, and try very hard to not let one league's roster affect my decisions in another.
I agree with this. Its your team. Run it the way you want to. If you prefer to root for Trent Richardson next year, by all means do so. Face value, you would have "won" the trade by making it. However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you look back on this trade a year from today, and think you made the correct decision. I know you didn't want to turn this into a workload discussion, but the fact is, is that Rice will be 26 this season, and already has 2100+ touches between college and the pros. Richardson is 20 years old right now and has about 500 carries and receptions combined. It's very possible Rice's value a year from now will be much the same as MJD's is right now.
Rice just turned 25. He won't be 26 until the following season.

The team getting Rice in this deal would be laughing. It's not everyday that you get an opportunity to acquire an elite RB (who happens to be very young still) and when you get that chance and all you have to do is give up the 1st pick overall in the rookie draft, YOU TAKE IT!! I've done this long enough to know that there is no guarantees in a rookie draft. I would much rather have a proven elite commodity (who happens to make you a contender immediately) than an unproven one. Ray Rice is a player you can build a dynasty around because of his age. Do you know that Richardson can be that guy? Was Knowshon Moreno that guy when he was the consensus 1st overall a couple years ago? :)

I traded Rice for Richardson, more or less straight up. Richardson is a better version of the same player. He's younger with a lot less mileage on his body.

I expect Rice to remain an elite FF RB for 2-3 more years, but anything beyond that would be a huge bonus. I think it will be tough to trade Rice for Trent a year from now.

'BSanders2009 said:
The team getting Rice in this deal would be laughing. It's not everyday that you get an opportunity to acquire an elite RB (who happens to be very young still) and when you get that chance and all you have to do is give up the 1st pick overall in the rookie draft, YOU TAKE IT!! I've done this long enough to know that there is no guarantees in a rookie draft. I would much rather have a proven elite commodity (who happens to make you a contender immediately) than an unproven one. Ray Rice is a player you can build a dynasty around because of his age. Do you know that Richardson can be that guy? Was Knowshon Moreno that guy when he was the consensus 1st overall a couple years ago? :)
I have had the #1 pick three years in a row :bag: that has netted me Moreno (coin flip between him and Wells), Ryan Mathews and Mark Ingram (coin flip between him and AJ). I would give serious consideration to trading all three of them right now for Rice. There is definately something to be said for proven players IMO.

I traded Rice for Richardson, more or less straight up. Richardson is a better version of the same player. He's younger with a lot less mileage on his body. I expect Rice to remain an elite FF RB for 2-3 more years, but anything beyond that would be a huge bonus. I think it will be tough to trade Rice for Trent a year from now.
I have Richardson a notch ahead of Rice in my dynasty rankings. I realize we are in the minority and that's OK. However, I'm not faced with the decision of one over the other until after the NFL draft, and that could change. I'd probably pass on a trade until I knew where he lands.I think Richardson is clearly the better talent, and 3 years younger, but that doesn't always win out over situation. Just ask anyone holding Jonathan Stewart the last four seasons. Ultimately we're trying to win fantasy games, not collect star names, and not knowing Richardson's situation potentially throws a big wet blanket on things.

I traded Rice for Richardson, more or less straight up. Richardson is a better version of the same player. He's younger with a lot less mileage on his body.

I expect Rice to remain an elite FF RB for 2-3 more years, but anything beyond that would be a huge bonus. I think it will be tough to trade Rice for Trent a year from now.
I have Richardson a notch ahead of Rice in my dynasty rankings. I realize we are in the minority and that's OK. However, I'm not faced with the decision of one over the other until after the NFL draft, and that could change. I'd probably pass on a trade until I knew where he lands.

I think Richardson is clearly the better talent, and 3 years younger, but that doesn't always win out over situation. Just ask anyone holding Jonathan Stewart the last four seasons. Ultimately we're trying to win fantasy games, not collect star names, and not knowing Richardson's situation potentially throws a big wet blanket on things.
bolded = perfect points.EBF's pontificating about Trich is starting to sound alot like his anti-forte rants but the other way.

I know Trent is the greatest thing since sliced bread but lets wait until the bread is out of the oven before crowning his ###. crystal balls are mysterious.

I traded Rice for Richardson, more or less straight up. Richardson is a better version of the same player. He's younger with a lot less mileage on his body. I expect Rice to remain an elite FF RB for 2-3 more years, but anything beyond that would be a huge bonus. I think it will be tough to trade Rice for Trent a year from now.
I like rrice more than richardson(but that is not the main issue), but don't forget that u are also giving miles austin.In the end, it is your team and u "earned" 1.01, so have fun with it.

I have Richardson a notch ahead of Rice in my dynasty rankings. I realize we are in the minority and that's OK. However, I'm not faced with the decision of one over the other until after the NFL draft, and that could change. I'd probably pass on a trade until I knew where he lands.

I think Richardson is clearly the better talent, and 3 years younger, but that doesn't always win out over situation. Just ask anyone holding Jonathan Stewart the last four seasons. Ultimately we're trying to win fantasy games, not collect star names, and not knowing Richardson's situation potentially throws a big wet blanket on things.
bolded = perfect points.EBF's pontificating about Trich is starting to sound alot like his anti-forte rants but the other way.

I know Trent is the greatest thing since sliced bread but lets wait until the bread is out of the oven before crowning his ###. crystal balls are mysterious.
I knew someone would bring up JStew eventually. He's a convenient example if you want to cite Richardson's downside, but his situation is almost unprecedented (and even despite that he's still remained a top 50 dynasty pick throughout his NFL career). Other players like Deuce McAllister, Shaun Alexander, and Larry Johnson were drafted into "terrible" situations and become unanimous top 5 dynasty RBs within a matter of years. I'll be very surprised if the team that drafts Richardson sticks him on the bench. Just wouldn't make a lot of sense. I can count on one hand the number of RBs in the league who could start over him. I've been pretty straightforward about Richardson from the start. He's the most no-brainer can't-miss RB prospect I've seen since I started following the draft. It's not hyperbole. Just an honest assessment. Most scouting reports on the internet echo it. The only thing that can derail him is injury or unexpected off-field issues.

In terms of Rice vs. Richardson, there's no doubt that Rice is the more proven commodity. But bear in mind that you pay a price for that security. Rice has already burned through four years of his NFL career. He's probably halfway to the finish line, whereas Richardson is just beginning the race. As someone who worries a lot about exit value, the fact that Richardson will almost certainly be worth more than a 27 year old Ray Rice two years from now means a lot to me. As I often say, you can overrate the past just as easily as you can overrated the future. You don't get points for what Rice did between 2009-2011 when you draft him today.

I knew someone would bring up JStew eventually. He's a convenient example if you want to cite Richardson's downside, but his situation is almost unprecedented (and even despite that he's still remained a top 50 dynasty pick throughout his NFL career). Other players like Deuce McAllister, Shaun Alexander, and Larry Johnson were drafted into "terrible" situations and become unanimous top 5 dynasty RBs within a matter of years. I'll be very surprised if the team that drafts Richardson sticks him on the bench. Just wouldn't make a lot of sense. I can count on one hand the number of RBs in the league who could start over him. I've been pretty straightforward about Richardson from the start. He's the most no-brainer can't-miss RB prospect I've seen since I started following the draft. It's not hyperbole. Just an honest assessment. Most scouting reports on the internet echo it. The only thing that can derail him is injury or unexpected off-field issues.

In terms of Rice vs. Richardson, there's no doubt that Rice is the more proven commodity. But bear in mind that you pay a price for that security. Rice has already burned through four years of his NFL career. He's probably halfway to the finish line, whereas Richardson is just beginning the race. As someone who worries a lot about exit value, the fact that Richardson will almost certainly be worth more than a 27 year old Ray Rice two years from now means a lot to me. As I often say, you can overrate the past just as easily as you can overrated the future. You don't get points for what Rice did between 2009-2011 when you draft him today.
That's a lifetime in FF.So you're not allowing for the distinct possibility that Trich won't be top 5 FF rb in his first few years and at the same time saying Ray Rice won't be as valuable in 2 years.

Got it.

I agree 100% that you do pay for the security of ray rice. The potential bust of Richardson just makes him the lesser of the two for me. I look 2-3 years out in a dynasty league, VERY active, so rosters change alot. In the next 2-3 years, I just think rrice is the clear cut choice with zero downside(outside injury, which u can not predict.) When you add in Miles Austin to the equation, i think it is borderline insanity not to take it, but to each their own.

How many downs has rice played in the nfl? How many for Richardson? Take it from the guys who drafted running backs #1 the past few years. Not too many have panned out. Take the proven stud who is still young and run. Oh yeah plus you get miles Austin for a rookie second rounder????? Run faster

Regarding the illogical reasoning I can relate in someways altho I think most would feel the value gap is too large in this instance to justify overriding it based on some personal preference

As for TRich vs Rice I agree with eaglesfan, look at the last few top RB picks, many who were "can't miss"

Ingram

Williams

Matthews

Spiller

Moreno

Brown

I think anyone who traded the 1.01 for a guy like Rice over the last few years is pretty happy...

I feel that there are a lot of GMs out there in dynasty leagues these days who lose perspective on what you're trying to achieve ultimately and focus too much on future. The object of the game is to WIN YOUR LEAGUE. To win your league, you need to build the best team you can build, especially your starting lineup. Any time you have an opportunity to acquire a fairly young RB that instantly makes you competitive and you don't have to give up any stud RB or WR in return but rather the 1st pick overall, I will take it every time. The better question to ask, however, is WHY IS RAY RICE AVAILABLE FOR TRADE FOR DRAFT PICKS? I've had plenty of success winning dynasty leagues by just balancing present and future but I focus on building a core group of players who keep me competitive year in and year out and build from there. At 26 years of age, I wouldn't even consider trading Rice unless I got MUCH MORE than just a 1st round pick. Why would I give up the opportunity to win now and for the next couple seasons or so to acquire a draft pick? Does anyone realize the success rate of draft picks, even in the first round? Not nearly as good as some people make them out to be. Now, if that stud player is reaching that age where his production may diminish soon (approaching 30 years old)AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE COMPETITIVE, it may make sense to move that player, but otherwise, you have to keep him if you want to win anytime soon.

And before those of you who love to rebuild attack me with the rebuilding concept, I understand that you are trying to cash in on a player since you will not be competitive but I don't understand why a team would ever trade a young stud RB or WR (like Calvin Johnson) in those instances. Calvin Johnson, for example, is very young and has many years left in the tank and is the ideal player to rebuild with. But I see teams trade a guy like Megatron all the time for draft picks. WHY? So, if you're rebuilding, why give up a player who you can build a dynasty around for draft picks which you have no idea what you're going to get? It just sets you back another couple years every time you do that. Don't get me wrong, I do like to accumulating draft picks BUT I acquire draft picks for players that I don't view as an integral part of my team for today and tomorrow. If I'm really deep at a certain position and feel a player may regress soon and have received strong interest from other teams for that player, he will be moved. But if he's young and gives me a chance to win in a couple years, he stays on my team unless I get an offer I absolutely cannot refuse. But you don't move a young stud. PERIOD. They are irreplaceable and I consider that dynasty suicide! You might as well not even play dynasty leagues because you'll always be rebuilding with that mentality. Of course, if you enjoy rebuilding, then trading Rice makes a lot of sense for you. LOL

As much as I love Richardson, the flip side of course is a year from now it could be equally as tough to trade Trent for Rice.

How many downs has rice played in the nfl? How many for Richardson? Take it from the guys who drafted running backs #1 the past few years. Not too many have panned out. Take the proven stud who is still young and run. Oh yeah plus you get miles Austin for a rookie second rounder????? Run faster
I can't see how anyone would offer (or turn down) that trade based on the Austin factor. One injury plagues season makes people forget that he alone could be arguably worth the No. 1 overall pick. I'd personally rather have Austin than Blackmon who is the concensus No. 2 or 3 pick - there is nothing about Blackmon's skill set that is better than Austin's and we already know Austin is set up with a quality QB.I love Richardson's potetnial, but turning down an offer where you get a young stud like Rice (who I personally rank as the No. 2 dynasty back in ppr leagues, but for the purpose of this discussion I'll allow that he can be ranked below Richardson), and getting Austin for the 2.01 is lunacy imo.For the purpose of discussion we can say Richardson is a few spots ahead of Rice in dynasty rankings but Austin is miles (pun intended) ahead of anyone that you can draft at 2.01. At worst, he's worth a 1.04 or 1.05 pick.

Even if Richardson lives up to his hype and is one of the best RBs in the NFL from day one, then he still needs to land in a perfect situation to come close to the 2000/10 you can pencil Rice in for through 2015 or longer. I'm a big TRich fan, but ranking him over established young stud players is absolutely absurd. Throwing in Austin for a crappy 2nd round pick makes it beyond ridiculous. Rice and Austin are both championship cornerstone players who probably have yet to hit their primes on the field. Rookie Kool Aid at it's worst here.

Keeping 1.01 over Rice is understandable is Richardson is everything they say he is, he'll most likely be rated over rice next off-season.. But turning down Austin is a head scratcher, some trades u just have to take.

Users who are viewing this thread