What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Stash - Chargers RB Kenneth Farrow (1 Viewer)

How much worse than Gordon would Farrow be if given Gordon's workload? Gordon is averaging 3.3ypc on the season which is 2nd worst of all RBs with 50+ carries, only Gurley (3ypc) is less effective.

Gordon's workload is heavy too. If he were ever to go down, I could see this guy randomly stepping in and winning championships with plus match-ups vs. OAK in week 15 and IND in week 16. Fantasy is an odd game.
So it happened, oddly right at the moment a mentioned. I know Ware failed to exploit this match-up last week but OAK is still a plus draw.

So I'm reading that he was bad in pass pro but he was 6 for 6 in the passing game. This is really all that I'm interested in because if he has a high PPR floor he's very startable. Is Hillman even good in pass pro? 

I honestly have no business contemplating starting him but at the same time I feel like there's a fair amount of upside here if he sees the lion's share of carries this week.

EDIT: He doesn't play IND week 16 but CLE..even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it happened, oddly right at the moment a mentioned. I know Ware failed to exploit this match-up last week but OAK is still a plus draw.

So I'm reading that he was bad in pass pro but he was 6 for 6 in the passing game. This is really all that I'm interested in because if he has a high PPR floor he's very startable. Is Hillman even good in pass pro? 

I honestly have no business contemplating starting him but at the same time I feel like there's a fair amount of upside here if he sees the lion's share of carries this week.

I've had him stashed all year long... I felt that SD backfield was clearly one of the most profitable ones in the league in terms of usage, and Farrow was the CLEAR next-in-line guy.  Injuries are truly random, but the greater the workload, the greater the OPPORTUNITY to get injured, and that's exactly what we saw with Gordon.

Part of the reason I've sat on Farrow so long is because of the situation and his talent (at least enough to do something with the opportunity), but it's also due to really needing a RB in a couple of spots.

Currently, he's in my lineup in multiple leagues, and depending on Julio's status and decisions on a few other guys, he may end up in my lineup anywhere.  He feels like a very safe floor of 3-4 catches and 50 yards -- 8-9 points in a PPR, but we saw him catch 6 passes last week and total 80 yards against a pretty strong defense vs. RBs.  Now he's staring at Oakland and Cleveland the next two weeks.

I'm not sure of exactly what Gordon's injuries are, but I am sure SD isn't going anywhere and there's very likely no reason to rush Gordon back onto the field unless he's 100%.  Farrow could truly be a kingmaker at the end of the year here.  I'd project 80 yards, 4-5 receptions, and a coin flip shot at a TD this week and next (assuming he starts both games)... and remember, Gordon led the league in goal line opportunities, something Hillman absolutely won't take from Farrow.

I'm starting him because all my backs are hurt. I just hope SD hasn't quit on the season and packs it in for the rest of the season. 

Honest question.  Why would you expect him to get the lion's share of carries?  He got so many offensive snaps week 14 because he was the ONLY active RB when Gordon got injured.  This week, SD will have him and Hillman.  I can't imagine Hillman not being the change of pace back and hurry-up offense choice with Farrow getting 10-12 carries (unless SD is up big).  I grabbed him just to block my opponents from getting a starting RB, but I still don't see him being more than a flex play, unless your roster is hurting.

Honest question. Why would you expect him to get the lion's share of carries? He got so many offensive snaps week 14 because he was the ONLY active RB when Gordon got injured. This week, SD will have him and Hillman. I can't imagine Hillman not being the change of pace back and hurry-up offense choice with Farrow getting 10-12 carries (unless SD is up big). I grabbed him just to block my opponents from getting a starting RB, but I still don't see him being more than a flex play, unless your roster is hurting.
Because he's been their preferred back-up to Gordon for a while now and there's a reason Hillman has been on three different teams this year. The truth is I'm not confident in this situation at all and I'm betting even the coaching staff isn't sure how this will play out yet but if I had to assign odds to the backfield I'd say Farrow is the odds on favorite to lead it in week 15. 

Because he's been their preferred back-up to Gordon for a while now and there's a reason Hillman has been on three different teams this year. The truth is I'm not confident in this situation at all and I'm betting even the coaching staff isn't sure how this will play out yet but if I had to assign odds to the backfield I'd say Farrow is the odds on favorite to lead it in week 15. 
I'm not disagreeing that he leads in touches, I just am skeptical he gets more than 12 touches.

Picked him up as a preventative measure (keep him off opponents' teams) but not going to risk trotting him out over a guy like Alshon or Watkins, or Lat Murray or Ware in flex.

I would if it was between Farrow and Ingram and could afford to roll the dice.

Plan on starting him as my RB3 over Riddick if Riddick is out again. I'd be very surprised if he got fewer than 15 touches this week.I don't see the point of giving a lot of early down work to Hillman and even if Farrow had some pass pro issues he still caught 6 passes last week and looked good as a receiver and Rivers loves to check down to RBs so he should be in line to catch 3-4 passes just by being on the field as the starting RB this week. I think 15-20 touches is a pretty reasonable assumption barring injury. The Chargers might as well find out what they with him. It's not like Hillman's a part of their future.  

packersfan, are you not worried about Hillman?
In some third-down situations sure I think he'll be used there but why would Hillman be their lead back unless Farrow stinks? The Chargers' season is over so why wouldn't they want to find out more about Farrow and the kind of player he is? That would seem to be the logical thing to do. I doubt Ronnie Hillman is going to be part of their future but Farrow could be. It just makes sense to have Farrow be the lead RB this week and give him the work and see what he can do. And if he's the lead RB in this offense he should be looking at 15-20 touches given the type of volume the lead RB in this offense typically gets. Even if Hillman is the third-down RB that doesn't exclude Farrow from catching some passes, something he did very well last week. Rivers can still throw him the ball.

Again, I think 15-20 touches this week is a strong probability barring injury or Farrow just stinking up the joint. The Raiders' run D has been pretty bad so if Farrow just handles his work adequately I think he can put up rock-solid RB2 production this week. Vegas has this as tied for the highest-scoring game of the week so a TD isn't out of the question for him either. He's definitely an unknown so there's risk but if he doesn't face plant I think the situation sets up very nicely for him to put up some good fantasy production this week. I'm starting him with confidence right now over Riddick even if Riddick is able to play given how tough the Lions' matchup is. 

need2know said:
Starting him over ingram, dixon
Definitely starting him over Ingram.

And I'm playing Dixon as well since my lotto tickets that were Booker and D. Lewis have gone bust.

The Chargers' season is over so why wouldn't they want to find out more about Farrow and the kind of player he is? That would seem to be the logical thing to do.
First, I wouldn't count on the Chargers to act logically. They have rarely done that under this coaching staff.

Second, Farrow is not an unknown quantity they need to see on the field in order to better assess him for the future. They have seen him in preseason and in practice every day all season long. They saw him last week. They know what he offers. The fact that he barely played this season before Gordon's injury is telling IMO... Farrow is JAG.

This coaching staff has proven in the past that it favors RBBC. They were forced away from it at times this year due to injuries, but that has been their MO. Not only have they shown it in how they have played their RBs over the past 4 seasons, McCoy has stated repeatedly that it is his philosophy. IMO Hillman will play a non-trivial number of snaps.

None of this precludes Farrow from having a productive fantasy game, but IMO it is important to frame his prospects in the proper context.

He barely played this season because Gordon was having a terrific season. Farrow may be a JAG but Hillman absolutely is and there's plenty of game film to prove it. 

Again, Hillman offers nothing to this team's future. I doubt anyone would dispute that. Farrow at least potentially does and while I definitely agree McCoy is capable of doing some dumb ### things it makes a lot more sense for him to find out what Farrow can do as a lead back than to mess around with Ronne Hillman who everyone in the league already knows about. I understand the risks involved with him this week but I think he's a far better bet to get volume tomorrow than Hillman so I'm starting him with confidence in a plus matchup in what Vegas projects as its highest-scoring game of the week along with the Monday night game.

I'm under no illusions he's a superstar but we've seen plenty of JAGs over the years get us the fantasy production we've needed when simply given volume. Hell Farrow did it last week when called upon due to injury. I think he can do it again this week as the projected starter. He starts as my RB3 this week. If I'm wrong I'll be wrong. Been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.  

This is pretty simple to me. It's potential volume meets great matchup at home.

We've seen less than JAGs get it done in this scenario over and over and over again.

So far, I haven't seen anything that tells me Hillman's going to screw up the volume variable. 

He barely played this season because Gordon was having a terrific season. Farrow may be a JAG but Hillman absolutely is and there's plenty of game film to prove it. 

Again, Hillman offers nothing to this team's future. I doubt anyone would dispute that. Farrow at least potentially does and while I definitely agree McCoy is capable of doing some dumb ### things it makes a lot more sense for him to find out what Farrow can do as a lead back than to mess around with Ronne Hillman who everyone in the league already knows about. I understand the risks involved with him this week but I think he's a far better bet to get volume tomorrow than Hillman so I'm starting him with confidence in a plus matchup in what Vegas projects as its highest-scoring game of the week along with the Monday night game.

I'm under no illusions he's a superstar but we've seen plenty of JAGs over the years get us the fantasy production we've needed when simply given volume. Hell Farrow did it last week when called upon due to injury. I think he can do it again this week as the projected starter. He starts as my RB3 this week. If I'm wrong I'll be wrong. Been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.  
Yes, and everything you say here about Hillman was true of Donald Brown and Ronnie Brown when they were with the Chargers under McCoy. Yet they played plenty. :shrug:

Good luck.

Guess I'm not seeing how a guy basically coming off the street is going to be the one who gets the major volume. Anything is possible obviously but I think Farrow gets the first shot and unless he face plants I think the volume will be there for him with Hillman the third-down RB. Again, we know who Ronnie Hillman is. McCoy knows it too. I'm not trying to make Farrow out to be some kind of stud so let's be clear about that. But we all know he doesn't need to be to come through for fantasy. He just needs to get some touches.

Hell, look at what Yeldon did last week in a brutal matchup. He got plenty of volume and may have saved some folks if they started him in PPR. I'm not saying Farrow is going to catch 7 passes, just saying you don't need to be a great player to get it done in fantasy. You just need the opportunity. I think Farrow has a great shot at that opportunity this week even if Hillman is involved which I expect him to be. I'm not calling Farrow a RB1 but I do think he can get you RB2 production. At worst, RB3 numbers should be there and for me, that's what I need. But in a potentially high-scoring game with potential high volume he should be one of the prime RB Waiver Wire adds of the week given what he could deliver. I'm happy to have gotten him and he's locked into my lineup. I'll probably load him into at least one DFS tourney lineup too given how cheap he is. Pure upside play.  

History shows, guys off the street do not normally get volume. Michael was having a good season with Seattle as an almost every down guy, and he needed to get caught up on a playoff caliber team.

Maybe I'm not seeing it either, but I still have doubts because coaches do make bad decisions often, McCoy more than others.

I will say this, if it leaks that he will get the majority of carries, that info alone moves him to a must start against a soft defense. I dont care who you have to bench unless they are Bell, Elliott or Johnson. He is a lock for a TD since he will get all GL work, they wont let Hillman get those carries. No way any coach, even McCoy, is that dumb. I think.

McCoy's comments on Hillman yesterday amounted to he's picking up more of the playbook each week.. that's all he said about Hillman 

Farrow getting first and second down work only is basically 2015 Melvin Gordon... Which if you forgot was horrendous fantasy output.  I'm hoping Hillman is going to be sprinkled in like mccluster was earlier in the season and not Danny woodhead level of passing game involvement

Starting Farrow over gurley in one league, and tentatively over ware in another

McCoy's comments on Hillman yesterday amounted to he's picking up more of the playbook each week.. that's all he said about Hillman 

Farrow getting first and second down work only is basically 2015 Melvin Gordon... Which if you forgot was horrendous fantasy output.  I'm hoping Hillman is going to be sprinkled in like mccluster was earlier in the season and not Danny woodhead level of passing game involvement

Starting Farrow over gurley in one league, and tentatively over ware in another
I was contemplating the same for Ware, but I don't think you can trump Ware's guaranteed 17-20+ touches per game.  I realize he hasn't done much with them on several games, but he presents a higher floor than Farrow and probably an equal ceiling.  I  agree with JWB that Hillman will have more touches than people want him to.  I think Farrow gets more touches, but don't expect last weeks touches.

Farrow ranked by FBG at 15 overall, in the same relative tier as guys like Rob Kelley, Coleman, Rawls, Lamar Miller, and Ingram.

That's a big predicted jump in production, which you would expect with Gordon being out, but not really sure I can trust him over the likes of other potential flex PPR starts like AJ Green, Snead, Ware, or even Ingram.

Want to believe, just think there is too much in the air in a must-win game to get to the finals. 

Play it safe or swing for the fences?

I couldn't start him over Coleman, Rawls or Miller. Kelley's matchup isn't great so I could see doing that but it's definitely risky since there's no question Kelley's his team's lead back. Ingram's been a complete disaster lately and matchup isn't great so that one I'd probably be willing to do. Would all depend on my team and how I felt about my chances for the week. But as I'm sure people can tell I'm pretty high on Farrow this week.   

Farrow ranked by FBG at 15 overall, in the same relative tier as guys like Rob Kelley, Coleman, Rawls, Lamar Miller, and Ingram.

That's a big predicted jump in production, which you would expect with Gordon being out, but not really sure I can trust him over the likes of other potential flex PPR starts like AJ Green, Snead, Ware, or even Ingram.

Want to believe, just think there is too much in the air in a must-win game to get to the finals. 

Play it safe or swing for the fences?
I have to swing for the fences. I'm projected as an underdog.

We've had the back and forth on Ingram before. I just don't see upside there.

Even if Hillman is in the mix, he's not a receiving RB right? I'm thinking Farrow gets first crack at the first and second down snaps. If he succeeds early, he's got a decent chance to punch one in. If Farrow is the receiving RB, and six receptions last week and a college track record of catching the ball kinda point in that direction, I could see Farrow getting several dump offs. I'm thinking OAK gets out in front in the second half and Farrow benefits with some receptions.

Unless he's a total flop, I'm thinking his floor is 50-60 rushing yards and 4+ receptions. I honestly don't know where to find that floor at this late hour.

kyoun1e said:
Definitely starting him over Ingram.

And I'm playing Dixon as well since my lotto tickets that were Booker and D. Lewis have gone bust.
I am contemplating Farrow and Dixon too. If I played in a PPR I think the decision is easily Dixon. Unfortunately my league is non-PPR. How about you?

I suspect enthusiasm for Farrow needs to be tempered. He got tons of work, but remember that Hillman was a healthy scratch last week. Besides the FB Watt, there was no other runner in the game.

I do think Farrow will get his shot on 1st and second down. But Farrow didn't look super solid last weekend, and mustered only a 3.4 YPC average off of 16 attempts. As mentioned, he did see 6 passes, so he has that upside in PPR, and the matchup is there. I just don't think we'll see the big ceiling or bustout that some may be expecting.  

This is the thing, you say you couldnt start him over Rawls? Why? Since when is Rawls unbenchable?
You play the guy who you think will score the most, not who is better. Better players do not always mean more points.
If you think Farrow will score more points this week than anyone else you have, you play him this week.

I suspect enthusiasm for Farrow needs to be tempered. He got tons of work, but remember that Hillman was a healthy scratch last week. Besides the FB Watt, there was no other runner in the game.

I do think Farrow will get his shot on 1st and second down. But Farrow didn't look super solid last weekend, and mustered only a 3.4 YPC average off of 16 attempts. As mentioned, he did see 6 passes, so he has that upside in PPR, and the matchup is there. I just don't think we'll see the big ceiling or bustout that some may be expecting.  
I agree with you that farrow didn't look like great, but SD in general looked awful.  Esp on offense.  Hard to get your numbers when rivers has 5 turnovers.  Also Carolina has been great vs the run all year

I am contemplating Farrow and Dixon too. If I played in a PPR I think the decision is easily Dixon. Unfortunately my league is non-PPR. How about you?
Due to injuries I'm starting both in PPR.

Every year there's a "how the hell did we wind up here" moment by the end of the season. Last year for me it was starting Kirk Cousins in the FF playoffs. This year it's the "2 Kenneths" strategy at RB.

This is the thing, you say you couldnt start him over Rawls? Why? Since when is Rawls unbenchable?
You play the guy who you think will score the most, not who is better. Better players do not always mean more points.
If you think Farrow will score more points this week than anyone else you have, you play him this week.
Like me picking up Meredith last week and starting him over Marshall.

Like me getting ready to pick up Thielen or Kerley (which ever one I get) and starting them this week over Marshall.

I am living by this rule. Had Beasley for his hot streak. He was my best WR for a while.

I agree with you that farrow didn't look like great, but SD in general looked awful.  Esp on offense.  Hard to get your numbers when rivers has 5 turnovers.  Also Carolina has been great vs the run all year
Raiders' run D much worse than Carolina's. Game is projected to be high scoring. Assuming Farrow doesn't completely suck what are the fewest number of carries people think he will get? I'd say around 15 is a likely number assuming the game stays reasonably close. Throw in a couple of receptions at least and you're looking at RB2 potential. If he gets a TD (possibly assuming he gets GL looks which seems probable as the starting RB) now his upside rises. I'm clearly high on him based on my posts but it's for a reason. The matchup is good, I think the opportunity is potentially great so even though he isn't a special talent I think this could end up being one of those "How in the hell did this guy deliver?" moments that happens every year in the fantasy playoffs.  

Raiders' run D much worse than Carolina's. Game is projected to be high scoring. Assuming Farrow doesn't completely suck what are the fewest number of carries people think he will get? I'd say around 15 is a likely number assuming the game stays reasonably close. Throw in a couple of receptions at least and you're looking at RB2 potential. If he gets a TD (possibly assuming he gets GL looks which seems probable as the starting RB) now his upside rises. I'm clearly high on him based on my posts but it's for a reason. The matchup is good, I think the opportunity is potentially great so even though he isn't a special talent I think this could end up being one of those "How in the hell did this guy deliver?" moments that happens every year in the fantasy playoffs.  
I'm starting him.  Fairly confident 

Raiders coming off a deeply hurtful loss to one division for, can clinch a playoff berth with a win against another division foe on the road where they've been solid.

I desperately want to believe in Farrier, he has the opportunity and match up numbers for him in what could be a high scoring game. And I need every point against the #1 seed who only lost one game and leads total points scored in our league by an embarrassing margin.

Not sure I have the cojones to start him over a guy like Watkins or Alshon in the flex in a PPR. Is this wrong?

Raiders coming off a deeply hurtful loss to one division for, can clinch a playoff berth with a win against another division foe on the road where they've been solid.

I desperately want to believe in Farrier, he has the opportunity and match up numbers for him in what could be a high scoring game. And I need every point against the #1 seed who only lost one game and leads total points scored in our league by an embarrassing margin.

Not sure I have the cojones to start him over a guy like Watkins or Alshon in the flex in a PPR. Is this wrong?
Oak needing a win and farrow piling up stats are different. It's all about volume and I think he's gonna get it  in either rushing or receiving. Rivers loves him some dump offs. I'm struggling with this guy and Dixon myself. In truth I think Farrows floor is fairly high even without a touchdown. If SD gets down early they'll be in hurry up mode. If it's a shootout they'll be keeping pace by any means necessary. And I really don't see them front running this one and trying to run out the clock by grinding the ball. But even if chat does play out, then he's their number 1 rb so he'll still get his. 

Oak needing a win and farrow piling up stats are different. It's all about volume and I think he's gonna get it  in either rushing or receiving. Rivers loves him some dump offs. I'm struggling with this guy and Dixon myself. In truth I think Farrows floor is fairly high without a touchdown. 
Yup. Even if Hillman is the third-down RB Farrow could still catch 4-6 balls because he's the starter. Rivers will check down to his RBs. It's built into the offense and he knows that's a good way to get easy yardage. Smart, veteran QB move. 

A lot of people are high on Watkins this week.  I don't think Watkins or farrow is a bad play.  Good problem to have.  As to who scores more?  Who the hell knows.  I am playing Watkins as a flex and farrow as my rb2 in one league where I lost gordon.

Chargers RBs have a combined total of 25 targets over the past 4 weeks. Farrow got 6 last week but, as has been pointed out, was the only healthy RB available after Gordon got hurt. It seems unlikely that he will get that many targets again. I also wouldn't assume it is a given that he will catch 100% of his targets.

In the first game against the Raiders, Rivers was 21/30 for 359/4/2, yet he only targeted a RB one time. Gordon caught that target for an 18 yard TD. He targeted WRs Wiliams, Inman, and Benjamin 20 times and TEs Gates and Henry 9 times. All of those guys are playing this week.

On the season, OAK has given up an average of 4/35/0.2 to opposing teams' RBs. Over the past 4 weeks, that has dropped to 3/23/0.

Gordon had 16/69/0 rushing in that earlier game. Watt and McCluster each had 1 carry. I could see Farrow with 15 carries, but I don't think that is a lock. In Gordon's absence, SD could choose to throw more often, since they were so successful doing that in the first game.

Altogether, I think something like 15/55 rushing and 2/15 receiving is likely. A TD would make that a nice game; no TD would make it disappointing IMO.

Booker and Marshall shouldn't be a consideration, you should only be focusing on Farrow or Ty. PPR? Ty. Need upside from volume? Farrow.
PPR. I'm leaning Farrow after having been burned by Ty before. I'm worried Farrow won't get the volume he got this last weekend. If I knew he was gonna get 15+ touches, I'd start him easily. 

i'm gonna go with 60-70 yards rushing, 3-4 receptions for 20-30 yards and 0.5 percent for a TD as a projection with plenty of upside for more given how Vegas is projecting this for a high-scoring game. I think a double-digit floor in PPR is a pretty safe projection barring a complete face plant and I think his ceiling is pretty high given the matchup and shootout potential of the game. Big fan of Farrow this week for season-long and DFS.

packersfan said:
i'm gonna go with 60-70 yards rushing, 3-4 receptions for 20-30 yards and 0.5 percent for a TD as a projection with plenty of upside for more given how Vegas is projecting this for a high-scoring game. I think a double-digit floor in PPR is a pretty safe projection barring a complete face plant and I think his ceiling is pretty high given the matchup and shootout potential of the game. Big fan of Farrow this week for season-long and DFS.
Non-PPR you thinking he's mainly in the 8-10pt range? So any TD would increase his value.  How good is Oak D against rushing TDs this year?  I'd Google but at a kids Xmas school thing and already getting the stink eye from the wife.  

Non-PPR you thinking he's mainly in the 8-10pt range? So any TD would increase his value.  How good is Oak D against rushing TDs this year?
OAK has allowed 12 rushing TDs and 3 receiving TDs to opposing RBs this season. They have allowed at least 1 TD to opposing RBs in all but 2 games this season.

OAK has allowed 12 rushing TDs and 3 receiving TDs to opposing RBs this season. They have allowed at least 1 TD to opposing RBs in all but 2 games this season.
Thanks!  Leaning between Farrow, Ware, and Diggs.  Ware not consistent and Diggs has been up and down.  Knowing this, non-ppr floor around 10-15? 

Thanks!  Leaning between Farrow, Ware, and Diggs.  Ware not consistent and Diggs has been up and down.  Knowing this, non-ppr floor around 10-15? 
I don't think his non-PPR floor is 10-15. Floor means no TDs. I certainly don't think he is a lock for 100+ YFS. I already posted that I think a reasonable expectation is 70 YFS, so 7 points in non-PPR. 

I'd rank them Ware, Farrow, and Diggs, in that order in non-PPR. 
If I was still alive In the league I owned Ware I'd start these guys over him. Thinking he was going to have a big wk and then watching Smith/Reid not use him in the passing game, West coming in and taking GL carries, West in the two minute drill etc. has been played out enough for me

I'm starting Farrow so it's almost guaranteed he will do nothing.  Starting Powell,  too.  Will also do nothing. 

Users who are viewing this thread